Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been a pretty weak draft for us.

Meachem was a pretty bad pick, even if we did need a WR. Poz was still on the board, as was Chris Houston and Greg Olsen. I was really hoping for Poz here, or maybe Olsen.

Comment

• We just took Marvin Mitchell, ILB, Tennessee in the 7th round.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• Just looking at what could have been in this draft makes me sick.

In my opinion, this is the best draft that we could have had:

1.27 - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
        3.66 - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
        3.88 - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State
        4.107 - Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois
        4.125 - Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
        5.145 - Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
        7.220 - Chris Leak, QB, Florida

I guess I'm going to have to keep trust in Mickey and Sean, but this really seemed like a poor draft overall. Maybe reached on too many small school guys, and definitely did not address the defense enough.
        The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Marvin Mitchell, ILB Tennessee.

He was Scott's 11th ranked MLB, we might have gotten a steal. At the least I think he can contribute on special teams.

Has very good size and bulk. Is strong and powerful. Active and aggressive with a good motor. Reliable tackler and a big hitter. Stout at the point. Excellent run stopper. Plays with a nasty demeanor. Really emerged in '06. May have upside.
          wonder what UDFAs we'll bring.
          Last edited by Auron; 04-29-2007, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auron View Post
            Marvin Mitchell, ILB Tennessee.

He was Scott's 11th ranked MLB, we might have gotten a steal. At the least I think he can contribute on special teams.

wonder what UDFAs we'll bring.
            He won't even make the team if Scott's analysis is correct. Some of his weaknesses (according to Scott) are:
            - below average speed
            - not athletic
            - not very instinctive
            - subpar in coverage
            - questionable work ethic
            - character issues

Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
              He won't even make the team if Scott's analysis is correct. Some of his weaknesses (according to Scott) are:
              - below average speed
              - not athletic
              - not very instinctive
              - subpar in coverage
              - questionable work ethic
              - character issues

Doesn't sound like much of a steal to me.
              Could be a reserve LB, 2 down thumper similar to Danny Clark. I've read about the character issues but I think they did their research on him or else they would've passed.

there was probably a few other guys to take a late round flyer on but atleast they Drafted some front 7 help.

Comment

• here is PFW's take on Mitchell....

'Tennessee ILB Marvin Mitchell gives the Saints a lot of size inside at a position where they want to get better. He is an instinctive, short-area plugger who does not have great speed to get outside the tackle box, but can clog up the middle, play off blocks and make plays tackle to tackle.'

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL...ound7Picks.htm

sounds good, and if his charcter problems were that bad....Payton would of passed on him...easily.

Comment

• Obviously he won't make a Colston type impact, let's face it we're not going to be able to find Colstons in the 7th round every year.

Maybe he can surprise and make the team and contribute, if he makes some sort of impact I think it'll be a success for a 7th rounder.

Overall it's easy to criticize the Draft right now, we did pass over some highly rated players in later rounds. However it's tough to grade a Draft class a few hours after the Draft, we have to see how the players fare on the field before we can draw conclusions. A lot of people were upset with last years Draft after the first round as well, so I'm going to reserve judgment on this class until I see them on the field.

Comment

• The 2007 NFL Draft is over and the UDFA negotiation/signings probably have already started.

As a conclusion to the Draft here are the Saints' selections.

#27 Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
                    #66 Usama Young, CB, Kent State
                    #88 Andy Alleman, OG, Akron
                    #107 Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State
                    #125 Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson
                    #145 David Jones, CB, Wingate
                    #220 Marvin Mitchell, ILB, Tennessee

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3435

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• Originally posted by Auron View Post
                      Overall it's easy to criticize the Draft right now, we did pass over some highly rated players in later rounds. However it's tough to grade a Draft class a few hours after the Draft, we have to see how the players fare on the field before we can draw conclusions. A lot of people were upset with last years Draft after the first round as well, so I'm going to reserve judgment on this class until I see them on the field.
                      I actually was really happy with last year's draft. Obviously I was thrilled with Reggie Bush, but I was one of the (I'm guessing) few who also loved the rest of the draft. I thought Roman Harper, much like his Alabama teammate Demeco Ryans, was an underrated defensive leader who overachieved and got the absolute most out of his just average athletic ability. I thought Jahri Evans and Marques Colston were both nice sleepers, although there was no way to know that they'd ever be this good, especially this early. I loved Mike Hass, who I thought would be a very solid #2 possession WR (I'm still sad that we didn't keep him around). I liked OT Zach Strief as an underrated, hard working guy with a lot of experience in a major conference, and saw him as a very good backup -- same goes for DE Rob Ninkovich. I thought the Saints had a very good draft last year and that they were unfairly criticized by a lot of people, including Scott.

However, this year's draft was pretty sub par; borderline terrible, considering the players available that we could have picked at each spot. I had warmed up to the thought of taking a WR in the first, but ONLY if guys like Poz and Houston were off the board, which they were not. Poz would have been excellent for our defense. I'm OK with Usama, but he needs just as much developing (possibly more) than the guy I thought we should have drafted, the equally physically talented (with better size) Marcus McCauley. I'm a little baffled by our choice of Usama Young over McCauley. Alleman should replace Jamar Nesbit sooner than later, but Quinn Pitcock would have been excellent value as well as a big need position with that pick. I like David Jones a lot in the fifth, but our CB corps is suddenly pretty crowded -- I expect Jason Craft will get cut, but is Jones really better for us than Craft right now? It's an okay pick, but I wish we would have gone DT instead. Mitchell, although he's only a 7th round pick, DOES have character issues and I can't believe Payton drafted him -- I'd be willing to bet he's cut before opening day.

The only pick I really LOVED was Bushrod. He's got all the tools to develop into a very good OT. His skillset might actually make him very well suited to play LT, which would allow us to move Brown back to RT when Stinchcomb is gone in 2 years. 1 out of 7 (IMO) is pretty bad.

I sure hope all these picks prove me wrong. If this group turns out as good as last year's, I will never second guess Payton and Loomis again.
                      Last edited by TPFKA#1SaintsFan; 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• I share your concerns, and in the end this Draft will be the ultimate test for the coaching staff and their ability to develop players. They felt confident enough to take the small school guys with potential and develop them.

Are there some things I would've changed? Definitely, but I'm not a scout and don't do nearly as much research as the pro scouts do.

I guess now it just becomes a waiting game. In the end though I think we did upgrade the Offensive line significantly and we should be reaping the dividends of it in a few years, and we added athletic youthful CBs as well that can learn for a while.

If Poz turns out to be a stud LB, or Houston turns out to be a premier CB. Then yes I will have big time regrets, but right now no one has proven anything. In the end I think the coaches chose to Draft for the future, rather than come away with immediate impact talents as they felt the current roster was sufficient enough with the Free Agency upgrades. I don't quite agree, but the FO hasn't done anything to make me think they've set the franchise back yet. I wouldn't rule out Meachem having a big time impact either, WRs coach Curtis Johnson sounded very high on him in interviews.

Comment

• Don't know if this will make anyone feel better but our 2 CB draftees were on SI's Hidden gem watch.

SI.com
                          Usama Young/CB/Kent State: An all-Conference pick at Kent State last season, Young was snubbed by the major postseason games and did not receive an invite to the combine. Yet almost two dozen teams showed up at his pro day to watch the 196-pound Young run 4.4 seconds in the 40. Since then Young has visited 11 franchises and will work out for four other teams next week. Given a free-agent grade at the start of the year, Young could slide into the draft's first day.

David Jones/CB/Wingate: Playing only two seasons of high school football, Jones has recently attracted a lot of attention from the NFL. His playing skills are only surpassed by his character, as scouts rave about his work ethic and dedication. Four teams brought Jones in for a visit. He is likely to be drafted in the middle rounds.
                          and Drafted 2 second day guys that Gil Brandt thought were in the top 10 of players not Drafted on Day 1.
                          NFL.com
                          Here are 12 players from my top 100 who didn't get taken on Day 1:

* Antonio Pittman, RB, Ohio State (47)
                          * Tanard Jackson, CB, Syracuse (60)
                          * Doug Free, OT, Northern Illinois (77)
                          * Paul Soliai, DT, Utah (78)
                          * Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State (80)
                          * Josh Beekman, G, Boston College (82)
                          * David Clowney, WR, Virginia Tech (88)
                          * Leroy Harris, C, North Carolina State (89)
                          * Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska (90)
                          * Michael Coe, CB, Alabama State (95)
                          * Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson (96)
                          * Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern (100)

Comment

• I'll give my write-up about the draft later but I'll mention two things: 1) I am NOT happy with the players we selected and 2) we went a little too heavy on the small school prospects.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

• Supposedly the Saints signed their first UDFA in Pittsburgh Panther QB Tyler Palko. If this is true, I would absolutely love it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                              WHO DAT!

Comment

• Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with diabsoule...way too heavy on the small schools. I would also like to state that we went WAY too heavy on offense. I thought that we would be heavy on defense. The Pittman pick was a shock...I thought that we would be moving up for a quality Lb.

I'll give a C- on our draft. We passed on a lot of position players that could have contributed immediately in improving our defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information