This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that wouldn't be good ... :)

The Saints are going to get a good player where they are. Have faith in them, passing on Chris Houston last year was definitely the right move (he has complete bust written all over him). Granted, David Harris or Paul Poz would have been good, but you can always find linebackers and Meachem presented as BPA. So it's not the end of the world if they don't get a DT or Keith Rivers, although I think trading up for Sed Ellis would be a good move (depending on what they give up). Yeah, taking a def tackle in the 1st round is risky because of the bust rate we've seen from the last few years, coupled with the bust rate from Southern Cal we've also seen ... but Ellis looks legit and is a perfect fit for the Saints as he'll play NT.

But if it doesn't happen, the Saints could just as easily take a def tackle in the 2nd round (say Balmer or Laws) or afterwards.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
      Well that wouldn't be good ... :)

The Saints are going to get a good player where they are. Have faith in them, passing on Chris Houston last year was definitely the right move (he has complete bust written all over him).
      Going to have to disagree with you there. Time will tell.

But agree with most of the rest. Especially that the Saints can get a perfectly good DT in the 2nd. If I were they, I'd be particularly interested in Laws.
      TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

• No trade-up:

Rivers & Laws or another DT.

Trade-up:

Ellis & a CB or LB.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

WHY MUST THIS TEAM TORTURE ME SO?!
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Tomorrow shall be a good day. You'll see ;)

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• I pray you're right, Sveen!
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Originally posted by Sveen View Post
              Tomorrow shall be a good day. You'll see ;)
              I still think we should just sit tight and make our pick at #10. I dont really want to give up any picks to move up. We need the picks we have bigger needs. IMO

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

• If you guys don't trade up and sit at 10 looks like that Ellis and Dorsey and probably Keith Rivers will all be gone, but Mike Jenkins- who is probably the most NFL ready corner in this draft right now- would not be a bad consolation prize. That's who it sounds like you guys will take if such a scenario arises, good luck tomorrow.

Comment

• Michael Smith was on ESPN recently and was talking about the Saints checking out the top corner prospects, I think he said they really liked Leodis McKelvin and could take him at #10. It wouldn't be a bad pick, McKelvn is the #1 corner imo (Jenkins is my #2 though, I like him too).
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Michael Smith was on ESPN recently and was talking about the Saints checking out the top corner prospects, I think he said they really liked Leodis McKelvin and could take him at #10. It wouldn't be a bad pick, McKelvn is the #1 corner imo (Jenkins is my #2 though, I like him too).
                    I like McKelvin best out of the CB prospects and it looks like the Saints franchise agrees. I just hope they don't do something completely moronic tomorrow.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                    WHO DAT!

Comment

Michael Smith was on ESPN recently and was talking about the Saints checking out the top corner prospects, I think he said they really liked Leodis McKelvin and could take him at #10. It wouldn't be a bad pick, McKelvn is the #1 corner imo (Jenkins is my #2 though, I like him too).
                      10. Saints — Troy cornerback Leodis McKelvin. Saints are trying to trade up for either Dorsey or Ellis but if they stay, McKelvin should be their guy. Late this week head coach Sean Payton took WRs David Patten and Devery Henderson, quarterback Tyler Palko, a corner and a few coaches and put McKelvin and two other corners through intense personal workouts. McKelvin emerged as the best and most ready for prime time of the bunch. Still, I think the Saints somehow work a trade to move up for a DT.
                      Very interesting.

Comment

• Here is how I think the front office ranks the different (realistic) possibilities.

1. Trade up for Glenn Dorsey
                        2. Trade up for Sedrick Ellis
                        3. Get Leodis McKelvin at #10
                        4. Get Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie at #10
                        5. Get Keith Rivers at #10.

After that, who knows...

What do you guys think? Am I on to something? ;)

Comment

• Just read this on PFT.

SHOCKEY TO SAINTS ALREADY IN PLACE?
                          Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2008, 6:06 p.m.
                          There’s a kinda-sorta report from PFW that the Giants and the Saints might have already worked out a deal that would send tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans.

The Giants would receive the Saints’ second-round pick (No. 40 overall) and other draft picks.

So why would the move be kept under wraps? Because the Giants don’t want to stand in the shoes of the Saints at No. 40 until the Saints are on the clock. If the deal would be done now, then the teams at No. 41 and beyond would be able to consider their options for trading up, in order to get in front of the Giants and pluck a guy whom the Giants might be targeting.

Generally speaking, the best approach to draft-pick trades is to do the deal when one of the teams is on the clock. Indeed, it would have been ideal for the Vikings and the Chiefs to finalize the Jared Allen trade while the Vikings were on the clock with the No. 17 selection in round one.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, however, there’s too much that needs to happen when a franchise player is traded to a new team. The player needs to sign his tender, then he gets traded and signs a long-term contract (or vice-versa). It’s simply too hard to make all that happen in ten minutes.

In all other cases, however, it’s far wiser to do the deal so that the team acquiring a pick from another team gets that pick at a time when that pick is the next pick to be, um, picked.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

• Well, we can only get either Shockey or Lito Sheppard for that 2nd round pick. Wonder what it will be...

Comment

• Originally posted by SaintsFanForLife View Post
                              Just read this on PFT.

SHOCKEY TO SAINTS ALREADY IN PLACE?
                              Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2008, 6:06 p.m.
                              There’s a kinda-sorta report from PFW that the Giants and the Saints might have already worked out a deal that would send tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans.

The Giants would receive the Saints’ second-round pick (No. 40 overall) and other draft picks.

So why would the move be kept under wraps? Because the Giants don’t want to stand in the shoes of the Saints at No. 40 until the Saints are on the clock. If the deal would be done now, then the teams at No. 41 and beyond would be able to consider their options for trading up, in order to get in front of the Giants and pluck a guy whom the Giants might be targeting.

Generally speaking, the best approach to draft-pick trades is to do the deal when one of the teams is on the clock. Indeed, it would have been ideal for the Vikings and the Chiefs to finalize the Jared Allen trade while the Vikings were on the clock with the No. 17 selection in round one.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs, however, there’s too much that needs to happen when a franchise player is traded to a new team. The player needs to sign his tender, then he gets traded and signs a long-term contract (or vice-versa). It’s simply too hard to make all that happen in ten minutes.

In all other cases, however, it’s far wiser to do the deal so that the team acquiring a pick from another team gets that pick at a time when that pick is the next pick to be, um, picked.
                              If it's a 2nd & 5th, that's fine with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sveen View Post
                                Well, we can only get either Shockey or Lito Sheppard for that 2nd round pick. Wonder what it will be...
                                Not so fast my friend.

Shockey for a 2nd and say a fifth.

Trade first rounders with the Eagles... they jump up to 10 to get one of the OL they covet and we trade down to select... BPA.

That would be dope.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information