Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to make a list of some possibilities, this is in no way a big board or anything just throwing some names out there. More like a database or such.

Top CBs:
    Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh.
    Chris Houston, Arkansas.
    Aaron Ross, Texas.

Top WRs:
    Dwayne Bowe, LSU.
    Robert Meachem, Tennesse.
    Ted Ginn Jr. Ohio St.
    Dwayne Jarrett, USC.

I think most of these guys will be off the board at 27, there is a chance someone could fall. I expect Jarrett to be there but I don't know how interested the Saints will be. (Didn't include Hall because I think he'll be out of reach)

Some of the BPA prospects that should be available. (some are not at a position of need but guys that are expected to be the top value late round 1)

Late Round 1 value
    Jon Beason (OLB) Miami.
    Lawrence Timmons (OLB) FSU.
    Justin Harrell (DT) Tennessee.
    Anthony Spencer, (DE) Purdue.
    Jarvis Moss (DE) Florida.
    Joe Staley (OT) Central Mich.
    Michael Griffin (S) Texas
    Eric Weddle (S/CB) Utah
    Justin Blalock (OG) Texas
    Ben Grubbs (OG) Auburn

A lot of underrated players here, there should be some prime LB value available I didn't include Poz because I think he'll be gone, but if he does slide that would be great value as well. Some nice D-line value, with Edge rushing talent which is a possible angle the Saints may look into with Grant's future unclear, Harrell is the interior presence.

I really don't see the Saints looking Guard this early unless they have a guy graded out as a "All Pro type" and it doesn't seem like there are any in this group, although they are solid.

Round 2 Options (no particular order)
    Marcus McCauley (CB) Fresno St.
    Eric Wright (CB) UNLV
    Tanard Jackson (CB/S) Syracuse
    Daymeion Hughes (CB) California
    Josh Wilson (CB) Maryland
    David Harris (MLB) Michigan
    Steward Bradley (OLB) Nebraska.
    Rufus Alexander (OLB) Oklahoma.
    Brandon Mebane (DT) California.
    Quinn Pitcock (DT) Ohio St.
    Ray McDonald (DE/DT) Florida.
    Sidney Rice (WR) South Carolina.
    Craig Davis (WR) LSU.
    Steve Smith (WR) USC.
    Ben Patrick (TE) Delaware.

Probably missed a few guys, overall there is a chance we might trade back into the top of round 2, if there's nothing appealing if we're stuck at 27. A few underrated receivers that get overshadowed by the top tier, some run stuffing guys at DT, There is some CB value here also it depends on how our staff views McCauley, Wright both have different concerns but it looks like they are further investigating them.

Round 3 & On (no order)
    H.B Blades (LB) Pittsburgh.
    Zak DeOssie (MLB) Brown
    Justin Durant (OLB) Hampton
    Quincy Black (OLB) New Mexico
    Tim Shaw (OLB) Penn St.
    Michael Okwo (OLB) Stanford

Turk McBride (DT) Tennessee
    Ryan McBean (DT/DE) Oklahoma St.
    Kareem Brown (DT) Miami
    LaMarr Woodley (DE) Michigan
    Dan Bazuin (DE) Central Mich.

David Irons (CB) Auburn
    Fred Bennett (CB) South Carolina
    Jonathon Wade (CB) Tennessee
    Michael Coe (CB) Alabama St.
    Travarous Bain (CB) Hampton
    CJ Gaddis (CB) Clemson
    AJ Davis (CB) NC State
    DeAndre Jackson (CB) Iowa St.

Aundrae Allison (WR) East Carolina
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (WR) UTEP
    Courtney Taylor (WR) Auburn
    Jacoby Jones (WR) Lane
    Paul Williams (WR) Fresno St.

Matt Spaeth (TE) Minnesota
    Scott Chandler (TE) Iowa
    Martrez Milner (TE) Georgia

Manuel Ramirez (OG) Texas Tech
    Andy Alleman (OG) Akron
    Mansfield Wrotto (OG) Georgia Tech
    ----

not very comprehensive but I just wanted to get a basic look at some possibilities visualized round by round.
    Last edited by Auron; 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I'll tell you what, grabbing McCauley in the 2nd would be great if we didn't get a corner in the first.

Justin Harrell, McCauley, and someone like H.B. Blades would be a really nice first day.

Comment

Saints are VERY interested in Daymeion Hughes, as well....

per his interview on Siruis.

Comment

here is a site that shows players, that the Saints are interested in...
          http://www.newerascouting.com/index.php?c=33&a=103

also, the saints have a interview with Paul Puz (LB, Penn State), per.....
          http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_502684.html

also, on 'saintsreport.com' someone reported that Lawernce Timmons (LB, FSU) has a visit set up with us as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints67 View Post
            Saints are VERY interested in Daymeion Hughes, as well....also, the saints have a interview with Paul Puz
            Interesting stuff. Looks like the Saints are doing their homework on the 2nd tier CBs (McCauley, Hughes, Wright)

Added the Posluszny visit to the first post.

Comment

I don't like Hughes too much. I don't think he has the speed to be successful in the NFL.

He'd make a good nickel guy in a tampa 2, but I don't think he can play man to man consistently at this level.

Comment

I'd Talk to Ryan Kalil on Friday..

I met Ryan Kalil through a friend of mines Friday. What a great guy! Not as Big as I thought;but anyways; He told us he was headed to New Orleans Yesterday which was Saturday. Sorry I been busy so I couldn't post this till now. He said They have shown the most interest in him. That's all for now.

Comment

Oh by the way I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a Texans Fan, so I just passing along info about your team..

Comment

Originally posted by Daonly View Post
                    Oh by the way I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a Texans Fan, so I just passing along info about your team..
                    Thanks for the info sir.

Kalil eh? haven't read anything yet maybe there will be some info soon concerning him and the Saints.

Comment

Oh he also told my friend that he's concerned with living in New Orleans, and his frist choice would be Denver;but he like the team.

Comment

I dunno if he'll even be around for us to take, but I like him a lot. Hes a guy you can plug into your line and be set with for 10 years.

Comment

I'd love for us to land him but I don't think Pittsburgh will pass on him, but if they do and he falls to our pick in the 2nd Rd. then I'd jump on the opportunity to land him.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                          WHO DAT!

Comment

I'm not too interested in any of the 2nd tier cornerbacks that the Saints have visted with, with the possible exception of Marcus McCauley. The players I like are Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson, Michael Coe, and David Irons and those are guys we could look to target in Round 3.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

Irons is nasty. One of the toughest DB's in this draft, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                                I'm not too interested in any of the 2nd tier cornerbacks that the Saints have visted with, with the possible exception of Marcus McCauley. The players I like are Fred Bennett, Josh Wilson, Michael Coe, and David Irons and those are guys we could look to target in Round 3.
                                For the most part I agree. Each of those guys have their own concerns. Wright has a lot of talent but has character concerns with off the field issues. McCauley has great upside, but underachieved his senior season. Hughes timed very poorly and has questions about whether he can transition in a man to man scheme on an NFL level.

If the Saints are unable to land a top tier corner, I would not panic at all if they waited until the 3rd tier to get their guy(s) in the 3rd/4th. I wonder which one one they'll target. Just going to post a small summary browsing through Scott's reports.

Josh Wilson, Maryland.
                                (+ Positives) Great speed, excellent quickness, agility, and leaping skills. Good instincts, and can run with receivers down field

(- Negatives) Lacks height, undersized, average hands.

Overall I really like his speed, I think he can step in and prevent giving up the deep play for us. However his lack of size may make for mismatches against him in the redzone, and possibly in run support.

Fred Bennett, South Carolina.
                                (+ Positives) Good size, frame. Quick, aggressive in coverage and will get hands on the football. Good leaper.

(- Negatives) Not physical, average tackler, hips may be a bit stiff. Underachieves at times and does not always play up to his physical tools.

I think he's a little riskier than the others, the physical tools are there but a bit of an underachiever. I don't know if he's a "Payton type" of player.

David Irons, Auburn.
                                (+ Positives) Tough, physical and aggressive, good closing speed and quickness. Plays bigger than his size, has a lot of upside.

(- Negatives)
                                Durability concerns, 2 ACL injuries in the past. Better in press coverage, than off coverage. Does not make many big plays.

Personally I think if he checks out medically he could be a steal. I think he has potential to be a good man press corner. I admit I haven't seen much of him though.

Michael Coe, Alabama St.
                                (+ Positives) Very good size, frame, long arms. Fluid hips, can turn and run. Instinctive, and closes fast. Has good intangibles.

(- Negatives) Can improve in run support, didn't emerge until he jumped down to a lower competition level.

Probably my favorite 3rd tier prospect, I think he has all the tools to be a good fit in a man to man scheme, however he may be a bit raw coming from Division 1-A and might have to sit and learn a bit early on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information