This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.
    Is it because the speed thing? Has he ever played Safety? I just don't know exactly why he would switch, I thought thats why we did it to Usama so we wouldn't have to..... I know Youngs a FA, but we should resign him cheap.

Comment

• you guys seem to be forgetting that leigh torrence also played great until he got injured, even if jenkins would move to safety there still wouldnt be a need for a high round corner

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
      - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
      - Corner or Wideout in the first
      - No reaching
      - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Originally posted by zachsaints52 View Post
        Is it because the speed thing? Has he ever played Safety? I just don't know exactly why he would switch, I thought thats why we did it to Usama so we wouldn't have to..... I know Youngs a FA, but we should resign him cheap.
        Speed is one reason, getting him more PT is another. He has practiced at the FS position already.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

Speed is one reason, getting him more PT is another. He has practiced at the FS position already.
          From observing the PT he had at corner this year it just didn't look like he would be able to match up with NFL wide receivers. He has the instincts and awareness but not the wheels. However, at free safety he would be able to roam and make plays and would be a nice heir to Darren Sharper, who he could learn from.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
            From observing the PT he had at corner this year it just didn't look like he would be able to match up with NFL wide receivers. He has the instincts and awareness but not the wheels. However, at free safety he would be able to roam and make plays and would be a nice heir to Darren Sharper, who he could learn from.
            Exactly, and had it not been for some injuries, his PT even at corner would have been severely limited.

Comment

Exactly, and had it not been for some injuries, his PT even at corner would have been severely limited.
              I thought he played well at CB for a rookie. And he could stay there. But I also think he would make a better FS maybe even a probowler at FS.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT

Comment

• I think they are trying to make Usama a FS and I think that will work out so Id be suprised if they swapped another guy to that position. Basicly with Chip Vaughn also coming on the saintss dont need any secondary help unless someone great falls to us

- No reaching
                - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• I don't know about you guys but i do not like Usuma Young at all. He shows minimal flashes here and there but never consistantly but thats just my opinion.

I think Jenkins while still adjusting played pretty well at corner for a rookie. Hopefully he takes some strides this next season either at FS or CB.

Comment

We would need better space eaters up front to free Washington to make plays.

If Weatherspoon, Dan Williams, and Jared Odrick are all gone in the first round then I'd like to get Perrish Cox. He's a great returner, would make an excellent nickel back, and would help Malcom Jenkins go over to FS, which seems to be what his position will be in the pros.
                    That'd be way too much money invested into the CB position imo. I could see us maybe drafting a CB but definitely not in the first round.
                    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      That'd be way too much money invested into the CB position imo. I could see us maybe drafting a CB but definitely not in the first round.
                      Definately agree. I think in the positions we should look at i.e. DT/OLB/DT/OT there will be a person graded high enough for us to take in the first with our pick. Then again, we never really stay put anymore, so I would love to trade up to guarentee Weatherspoon.

Comment

• I don't think Jenkins played poorly at CB, everyone here was ready to not give him a shot at CB.

The dude didn't have problems with speed or quickness, he was just an overaggressive rookie.

We don't need to draft a CB, especially not in the first 3 rounds.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Poorly no, but I'd have trouble leaving him alone out there on an island with no help over the top for and substantial amount of time. He made up for any lack of play with what he did in special teams. By no means do I consider him a disappointment.

Comment

Poorly no, but I'd have trouble leaving him alone out there on an island with no help over the top for and substantial amount of time. He made up for any lack of play with what he did in special teams. By no means do I consider him a disappointment.
                            I do not think he played poorly during his rookie season due to the fact that his standout special teams play made up for his lackluster CB play. He was our nickel corner and will probably not unseat Tracy Porter or Jabari Greer any time soon. So, we are justifying spending a first round pick on a nickel corner? I don't think so. I think the coaching staff plans on him moving to safety in a year. Why a year? Because it looks like we're about to put the franchise tag on Darren Sharper and after next season he will be a 35 year old safety. If we choose not to re-sign Sharper we could slide Jenkins over to free safety and not skip a beat (hopefully).
                            My whole comment was based on if none of the top DT or OLB prospects are left then why not draft someone like Perrish Cox? He's looked great as a CB and as a returner. He would help increase our special teams play and provide us with a fantastic nickel/dime corner in his rookie year and would help ease the transition following Sharper's departure. Do I want someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Dan Williams? You bet your ass. But sometimes you have to think outside of the box since there is a legitimate chance that both of those guys will not be there.

WHO DAT!

Comment

I do not think he played poorly during his rookie season due to the fact that his standout special teams play made up for his lackluster CB play. He was our nickel corner and will probably not unseat Tracy Porter or Jabari Greer any time soon. So, we are justifying spending a first round pick on a nickel corner? I don't think so. I think the coaching staff plans on him moving to safety in a year. Why a year? Because it looks like we're about to put the franchise tag on Darren Sharper and after next season he will be a 35 year old safety. If we choose not to re-sign Sharper we could slide Jenkins over to free safety and not skip a beat (hopefully).
                              My whole comment was based on if none of the top DT or OLB prospects are left then why not draft someone like Perrish Cox? He's looked great as a CB and as a returner. He would help increase our special teams play and provide us with a fantastic nickel/dime corner in his rookie year and would help ease the transition following Sharper's departure. Do I want someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Dan Williams? You bet your ass. But sometimes you have to think outside of the box since there is a legitimate chance that both of those guys will not be there.
                              At the start of the season the saints had 3 corners, all with ????'s. Porter and Greer both worked out like a dream and Jenkins still played well enough to be a proper nickel corner. IMO that is a pretty sweet corner situation to be in. Add in Leigh Torrence (who everybody forgets played great in the limited action he saw) and decent depth with *** and there is no need at all for a corner. Being five deep and all of those being able to play ball in a obvious passing situation with safety support and/or a blitz is all you can ask for.
                              I seriously dont get why people still want corners. Yeah the saints did give up a lot of passing yards, but we were up in the score A LOT. Combine that with a limited pass rush (ellis, hargrove & big will played well but grant and ayodele amongst others wont worry anybody) and bad outside linebacking play who are not capable at all to make plays in the passing game (anybody remember shanle against the vikes, it was awfull) and corners depth is about the best part of the D.

For those who bring up this years injury situation and how the saints D suffered because of it. There is such a thing as a 53 man roster. There is no way your roster should even be able to handle such a thing. If a roster is able to deal with such a thing other positions are so underrepresented it is a sign of terrible management. Anybody think that the receiving game would be as great with colston, moore, shockey, henderson and maechem out at the same time, dont think so. Anybody think that the OLine would look good with Evans and Nicks out on top of the injury to Jammal is kidding themselves.

Freak injury situations happen. It is no use adjusting your roster to cope with it. It is just flat out stupid.

cetero censeo saints non requiem cornero

- No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• WE have to think of the possiblity that the top defensive tackles and linebackers might not be there when the Saints pick. By drafting a corner we would be preparing for the future. One where Malcom Jenkins is a safety (many draft experts thought that he would have to make the change in the pros). While drafting a corner may not have an instant impact, it would a year down the road. Ideally, yes, I would much rather have someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Dan Williams.

I know you like Eversen Griffen but personally but I think he's a poor man's Charles Grant. He was very inconsistent in college, never really dominated a single game, lacks ideal instincts, and frankly wasn't as productive as he should have been. Imo, his best fit will be as a 3-4 rush backer at the next level if that.

WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information