This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
    WE have to think of the possiblity that the top defensive tackles and linebackers might not be there when the Saints pick. By drafting a corner we would be preparing for the future. One where Malcom Jenkins is a safety (many draft experts thought that he would have to make the change in the pros). While drafting a corner may not have an instant impact, it would a year down the road. Ideally, yes, I would much rather have someone like Sean Weatherspoon or Dan Williams.

I know you like Eversen Griffen but personally but I think he's a poor man's Charles Grant. He was very inconsistent in college, never really dominated a single game, lacks ideal instincts, and frankly wasn't as productive as he should have been. Imo, his best fit will be as a 3-4 rush backer at the next level if that.
    Griffen isnt my first option either (allthough he is part of my dream draft but thats more because in a dream scenario darryl would fall to us in the second and vince in the third making him the ideal pick to match in the first). However with the possibility that all the top DT's and LB's are off the board corner would still be way down my list of options as described above. Even when/if Jenkins get moved to safety (which I doubt since they already moved young there) corner still isnt a need.

The critique on griffen is only partially justified, as I remember the USC-ND game where he flat out dominated. He is also to big to be a 3-4 rush backer. I get that you dont like him for the saints but that is not my issue.

The issue is that corner doesnt make sense even make sense imo even if all of the following happens:
    -None of Weatherspoon, Price or Williams falls to the saints
    -Jenkins is moved to safety
    -No larger need is created by FA losses.

So even when all those three things happen which seems unlikely imo I still wouldnt like a corner high because:
    - Greer and Porter are both young and excellent starters who should be saints for a while still
    - *** and Torrence are excellent depth, the play of torrence this season was severely underrated.
    - Even when Jenkins gets moved to safety that doesnt prohibit playing either young of jenkins as nickelback
    - No good value for corner at the end of the first in my opinion
    - Way to much money tied up at corner anyway
    - GW apparently thinks that the saints lack the FRONT 7 to be an elite defense. Hence Saints do have the secondary to do so.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Am I the only one who hates Randall? I just hope we could somehow sign Duanta Robinson for our nickel, but we have to release Grant.... It would also free us up to basically take BPA of LB/DT/DE/OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by zachsaints52 View Post
        Am I the only one who hates Randall? I just hope we could somehow sign Duanta Robinson for our nickel, but we have to release Grant.... It would also free us up to basically take BPA of LB/DT/DE/OT.
        I'm fairly confident that will be the strategy we adopt for rounds 1 and 2.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
          I'm fairly confident that will be the strategy we adopt for rounds 1 and 2.
          Me too, but I add OT because I really think if we put a tender on Jamaal someone will bite on it and we will have atleast one more second rounder..... :)

Comment

• I think this may be the most controversial draft for Saints fans. Usually there is a certain player the majority of the fans want us to draft come April now everyone wants someone different.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
            WHO DAT!

Comment

• I'll agree to that. I'm hoping we focus on a specific position as opposed to a specific player this year. Last year I was all over us getting Brian Cushing (oh well).

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                I'll agree to that. I'm hoping we focus on a specific position as opposed to a specific player this year. Last year I was all over us getting Brian Cushing (oh well).
                and I had my reservations because of my man crush on Louis Delmas. That man crush blinded me from looking at the draft from different angles.

I will say this however. My wish list for the Saints is such:

First Round

1a. Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee - University of Tennessee has a long tradition of putting out top notch defensive linemen which helps Williams case. Another caveat for him is that he was coached by Monte Kiffin, which helped his game out by leaps and bounds. He commands double teams, is extremely stout against the run, can collapse the pocket, and is extremely athletic. By drafting him it would allow us to move Sedrick Ellis to the 3-tech allowing him to make plays from his more natural position and it would help solidify our front seven against the run.

1b. Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri - It has been evident that the Saints needs to upgrade their linebackers since last year. Current linebackers Scotts Shanle and Fujita lack the athleticism needed to make plays. Weatherspoon is a vocal leader on the field, is extremely athletic, and could be dominant linebacker at the next level but he does have some holes in his game that need to be worked on.

To be continued.... Have to go to work.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Spoon over Williams. I think both are deep this draft, but DT moreso then OLB. Also..... I have a mancrush on him.

Comment

• but with the way backers usually fall there is a good shot at darryl washington or navorro bowman with the second pick though

- No reaching
                    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
                      but with the way backers usually fall there is a good shot at darryl washington or navorro bowman with the second pick though
                      Dont you think that way mister!!!! Spoon for President 2012!

Comment

• Originally posted by zachsaints52 View Post
                        Spoon over Williams. I think both are deep this draft, but DT moreso then OLB. Also..... I have a mancrush on him.
                        That's why I have them 1a and 1b. I would be happy with either one but I think Dan Williams gives us more options. I really think we could get Navarro Bowman in the 2nd, if we get Williams in the first.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Yeah I know its a toss up, but I just think Spoon is the type we would be able to do so much more with. He is athletic and crazy good.

Comment

• Hey everybody, i'm new to the forum,(first post) just want to give a quick WHO DAT!! to the superbowl champs. Been here before but never really signed up so i've seen what everyone is talking about and wanted to give some input and see what you all thought.

As I've been seeing, Spoon and Dan Williams seem to be the two most wanted by everyone on here, and I agree 100% with that, given one of them fell to 32. Tbh, I feel the only way to have a chance at either would be to move up which i really don't see us doing.

Personally, I think our biggest concern this off season has to be bringing in people to help stop the run. I've seen talk about a corner in round one but I feel our secondary played well when healthy and even the backups steped up when need. Sure they couldn't do it on a week to week basis but plugging one in here or there worked out well. I just don't see the point in drafting another CB in round 1 when DT and LB would be more of an immediate improvement for our defense. Grabbing a CB later in the draft could be a possibility but I just don't see the point that early.

I know a lot of people may not agree with my pick here but just hear me out. In my opinion I feel the top four guys I think the Saints want (Spoon, Williams, Price, Griffen) will be gone before our pick in the 1st round. Personally, I think the next best option would be for us to draft Terrence Cody as a run stuffing NT. I understand many people's opinion on him being too slow, and having BUST written all over him, but i see the brighter side. I feel that working with Greg Williams will get him motivated and ready to play ever down he is in. NO he will not be an every-down player but he is able to improve our run defense more than anyone else while not affecting us in the pass rush department. Yes, I know that Cody will probably end his career with single digit sack numbers but I think by having Cody as a big run stuffer it will make Ellis much more dangerous as a UT. He will be able to rush the passer from his more natural position with still having a sold run stopper at the other DT spot. Greg Williams also loves to blitz and that sometimes gets us out of position if the opposing team runs, and having a big guy in the middle could help us improve on that. This also gives us the opportunity to bring Hargrove to pair with Ellis on passing downs instead of having a smaller rotation on both passing and running situations. I also believe that we could grab a solid LB in round 2 with it being a decently deep class there. We also have Arnoux coming back from injury, while never actually playing a down, i think could be a solid addition to the LB rotation.

I could be completely off on this, and I know people don't feel the same as I do but I just wanted to give my own little write-up and get myself acquainted with the boards. And one more WHO DAT!

Comment

• dude, you are preaching to the choir here, most people here could live with cody first round if a lot of other options are all off the board

- No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• But like ive said before, we really never stay in place the last three years.... so who knows? And welcome to the boards.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information