This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zachsaints52 View Post
    I know right? Crazy, but think about it.

We get Tebow to a 5 or 6 year deal, we give him the 1st three like his freshman year at UF. Goalline and shortyardage situations, kinda like the wildcat. In 3-4 years Brees will be 35 and near the end of the new deal, when its right for Tebow to step in and take over the team. Not to mention we don't have a 2nd QB, I don't trust Chase Daniel.

Gerhart, well the other thread I said we have PT23 and Bush on one year deals. And both will look towards getting paid good money. I highly doubt we keep both. So we get the bruiser back in Gerhart, who would be an amazing fit in the one back set with 3 wide, and we have him as well locked up for awhile.

And for the others, Lane fills a need at young DE to step in when Browns time is done, Konz think Steve Gleason but better, and Granger gives a body at DT.
    basicly I just dont think that TT can be a good qb in Paytons system no matter how much time he gets, Id much rather spend one of the later round picks on someone like that kid of fordham or even dan lefevour who basicly is TT2 with a better arm.

IMO running backs take no time whatsoever to transition so if one of bush or pt23 get lost that can be dealt with next year. No need to waste a premier pick on someone who could contribute early but is not needed to.

Lane and the rest down your list I get but I just dont think TT would ever work in paytons system and i just would hate spending any pick on a running back since rookie rbs can contribute with no problems and for the upcoming season no backs are needed.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
    - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
    - Corner or Wideout in the first
    - No reaching
    - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
      basicly I just dont think that TT can be a good qb in Paytons system no matter how much time he gets, Id much rather spend one of the later round picks on someone like that kid of fordham or even dan lefevour who basicly is TT2 with a better arm.

IMO running backs take no time whatsoever to transition so if one of bush or pt23 get lost that can be dealt with next year. No need to waste a premier pick on someone who could contribute early but is not needed to.

Lane and the rest down your list I get but I just dont think TT would ever work in paytons system and i just would hate spending any pick on a running back since rookie rbs can contribute with no problems and for the upcoming season no backs are needed.
      For Gerhart its not that they can contribute right away, its the style and way he runs is why he would fit. I think he would be a good fit.

As for Tebow, why wouldn't he fit? We run shotgun one of the highest % in the league, and Tebow ran it 90% of the time. He needs to be coached for a few years, and who better then behind Brees. Payton is on record saying he wants to try the deep bomb around 8 times a game, and Tebow has very good arm strength. Plus we wouldn't be stopped on any 3-1 4-1 situations, because we have so many weapons with him on the field.

Comment

For Gerhart its not that they can contribute right away, its the style and way he runs is why he would fit. I think he would be a good fit.

As for Tebow, why wouldn't he fit? We run shotgun one of the highest % in the league, and Tebow ran it 90% of the time. He needs to be coached for a few years, and who better then behind Brees. Payton is on record saying he wants to try the deep bomb around 8 times a game, and Tebow has very good arm strength. Plus we wouldn't be stopped on any 3-1 4-1 situations, because we have so many weapons with him on the field.
        Just reacting to tebow, gerhart is a valid argument but I just think its not worth it.

Tebow wouldnt fit cuz the type of shotgun the saints run is not at all similar to what florida does. TT throws an awful deep ball, which is vital to the saints sytem. Saints offense is about timing and stretching the field, florida offense is about fording the D to make choices and react on those choices.

What the saints do is much closer to a spread offense than a spread option attack like florida runs so therefore a qb like mccoy or guys like that are better suited for the type of playbook Payton likes to run. At this moment in time id have more confidence in chase daniel working out in the saints system than I would have in tim tebow ever working out and imo there are better options to take if you want to make the goal line plays kinkier.

- No reaching
        - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Originally posted by wicket View Post
          Just reacting to tebow, gerhart is a valid argument but I just think its not worth it.

Tebow wouldnt fit cuz the type of shotgun the saints run is not at all similar to what florida does. TT throws an awful deep ball, which is vital to the saints sytem. Saints offense is about timing and stretching the field, florida offense is about fording the D to make choices and react on those choices.

What the saints do is much closer to a spread offense than a spread option attack like florida runs so therefore a qb like mccoy or guys like that are better suited for the type of playbook Payton likes to run. At this moment in time id have more confidence in chase daniel working out in the saints system than I would have in tim tebow ever working out and imo there are better options to take if you want to make the goal line plays kinkier.
          While I agree that the spread even between the teams are different, I dont see how he would be a bad fit. At his pro day and Senior Bowl I saw alot of great long ball throws, which I can't think but help him. As of this time in moment I would say Daniel would be a better fit too! But thats because he has been here and knows the system. Thats why I said give him 3ish years in the system, and I guarentee you we wouldn't regret it. But I dont think he would be there with our picks, so thats why its more a dream haha.

Comment

• Chase Daniel is a better QB than McCoy or Tebow tbh, but that's not saying much. If we go QB or Gerhart in rounds 2-3 I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

I just hope it shakes out like Scott's mock, getting Weatherspoon and Lamar Houston
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
              Chase Daniel is a better QB than McCoy or Tebow tbh, but that's not saying much. If we go QB or Gerhart in rounds 2-3 I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

I just hope it shakes out like Scott's mock, getting Weatherspoon and Lamar Houston

just jizzed my pants again just thinking about that ;)

- No reaching
              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Chase Daniel is a better QB than McCoy or Tebow tbh, but that's not saying much. If we go QB or Gerhart in rounds 2-3 I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

I like Houston but my problem is that he's more of a 3-tech than NT. If we get him that means we're pretty much moving Ellis to the nose, which I don't think is his best fit. I'd rather someone like Linval Joseph than Houston.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

Comment

• I agree with you Diabsoule, but Houston is too talented to pass up at that point IMO. He's barely experienced at DT, but he's really productive already, and he's a superb athlete.

There's no reason we can't get Houston and an NT(in FA or draft) and have a nice rotation where Ellis gets time at both spots, particularly as the nose in passing situations and the UT on running downs.
                  fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

I agree with you Diabsoule, but Houston is too talented to pass up at that point IMO. He's barely experienced at DT, but he's really productive already, and he's a superb athlete.

There's no reason we can't get Houston and an NT(in FA or draft) and have a nice rotation where Ellis gets time at both spots, particularly as the nose in passing situations and the UT on running downs.
                    I like that idea but Hargrove can come in on passing downs with Brown and Smith on the outside and Ellis playing the nose. One of our biggest problems last year was stopping the run and that won't be solved by drafting another 3 tech.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I'm more of a BPA kinda guy, but I'd find it very hard to pass on BRandon Graham if he were still there, unless we grab Spoon.

I'd hate to see the Falcons take Graham, hopefully they fall for Jason Pierre Paul or something.

Comment

• JPP and Abraham on the outsides will be tough to match up with though

- No reaching
                        - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

In all honest though, my dream draft would be:
                          1. Weatherspoon
                          2. Tebow
                          3. Gerhart

4. Lane
                          6. Konz
                          7. Granger
                          I like Gerhart, but there is too much talent in the the 2nd and 3rd that also fits a need to be making these picks. For years or D has been or achillies heal and we have a chance this year to fix that. I see no reason why we should draft anyone on the offensive side of the ball (save for some huge **** up in letting someone real big fall) in rounds 1- 3.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• As of the way things sit right now this is my realistic best case scenario for the Saints:

1.32. OLB Daryl Washington, TCU
                            Sean Weatherspoon is one of my most coveted players in this draft but I doubt either him nor my first most coveted player, Dan Williams, will be available when we pick so I am going with a player who I fill could be the next Lance Briggs.

2.64. DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida
                            I am far from Dunlap's biggest fan and would not want to pull the trigger on him in the first round but if he is available with the last pick in the second then I would be ecstatic to get him. With the right motivation, which I feel our coaching staff could provide, I see him being a force.

3.95. DT Linval Joseph, East Carolina
                            While we were much improved on defense last year, one thing that was a problem, much like it has been over the past several years, was our ability to stop the run. Joseph is a nose tackle and adept at stopping the run. We would improve our rotation on the DL, have a true nose for the 3-4 that Williams likes to run at times, and get a big body in there to stop the run.

4.130. OLB A.J. Edds, Iowa
                            For a while I wanted Roddrick Muckelroy from Texas in the fourth but the more I read about Edds, the more I would rather him and see the former Hawkeye as the better fit. Edds is ideally suited to play SLB, a position we critically need to shore up. While not flashy, he is just solid and should fit in nicely with what we do on defense.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• washington would be a reach whilst I cant see dunlap nor joseph falling to those respective spots. Getting Dunlap in the first and washington is the second is prolly more realistic than this way around

- No reaching
                              - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

• Saints first round selection

Alright, as it seems, with the addition of Alex Brown and Jimmy Wilkerson to the fold, I think it's safe to say that the Saints will not be selecting a defensive end in the first round.

All this talk about them getting quarterback Tim Tebow with their first round selection is complete garbage. They will not, in my opinion, select a backup quarterback in the first round. I also can guarantee that the Black and Gold will not select a place kicker or punter at all.

Now, that being said, I figure the Saints are going to look at either defensive tackle or outside linebacker first. The question is, who will be available at 32?

I already said who I'd love for the Saints to select, but it appears that all three of my top prospects would be gone.

I spoke to NFL Draft guru Chris Landry this morning and discussed the possibility of the Saints being a mover in the first round. He believed that the Draft is deep enough that there are enough players in that teams would be hesitant to move up. I personally don't see the Saints moving down and they don't have the ammo to move up.

Realistically, I think the Saints will sit pretty at 32 and select the best defensive player remaining.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
                                https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information