Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been harping about drafting an OT or S for a while and I'm glad this game proved we need help at both positions.

I seriously think we should draft OT in the first round and move Jammal Brown back to the right side.

To sum up my thoughts on the game, I want to use this quote from an immortal Saints coach:

"Well, what happened was for the second game we got our asses kicked in the second half. We just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn't do diddly-poo offensively. We couldn't make a first down. We couldn't run the ball. We didn't try to run the ball. We couldn't complete a pass. We sucked. The second half we sucked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked the second half, that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Complete horseshit. I'm totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Our coaching did a horrible job. Our players did a horrible job. We got our asses kicked in the second half. It sucked. It stunk." - Jim Mora.

I fail to say any positives out of this game. We rushed Jeremy Shockey and Marques Colston back and they barely contributed. Colston didn't catch a pass because his thumb isn't at 100% yet and Shockey didn't look 100% either.
    Reggie Bush tore his meniscus in his left knee and is out 3-6 weeks at the minimum. Our offensive line couldn't get a push in the run game, they could barely pass protect. Julius Peppers made Jammal Brown and John Stinchcomb look stupid and weak. Drew Brees was hurried, hacked, hit, sacked, and harassed all game.
    Jason David was manhandled all game, just like last year. Kevin Kaesviharn offers nothing in run support and isn't fast enough to help protect deep. Our defensive rotation is too thin and we couldn't get a sustained pass rush. We were just terrible. A complete disappointment.

This is going to be another long year for the Saints and I hope it makes the coaching staff realize that we need a better center, an upgrade at left and right tackled (drafting an LT in the first would do just that), and we need DT and S upgrades fast.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

• Saints cut Weatherford after poor outing
      Posted by The Times-Picayune October 19, 2008 5:04PM
      Categories: Saints

The Saints evidently were so diasppointed in punter Steve Weatherford's poor outing Sunday against Carolina - 35.4 yards (gross) and 30.2 (net) - that he was cut after the game.

That means the Saints will have to sign a punter this week while they're in London.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Former Washington star Copper re-signs with Saints

By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor

Terrance Copper didn’t stay unemployed for long.

Copper, a former standout at Washington High School and East Carolina, was released by the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday. He had 11 teams that were interested in signing the fifth-year veteran, but Copper ended up back with the Saints.

Copper is scheduled to re-sign with New Orleans today when he meets the team at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

“When the Saints called me (Friday), I was surprised they called so quickly,” said Copper, who was in Washington visiting family Friday. “I have a lot of friends on that team. When they called, I was happy to go back.”

Copper said the last three days haven’t been easy as he awaited his NFL fate.

“It’s been an emotional roller coaster,” he said. “I was released and then I get picked up by the same team three days later. I don’t want to have to get used to that.

“But, like I said before, it’s part of the job. You have to take the good with the bad.”

Copper, a wide receiver and special teams ace with New Orleans, is planning to get into the game when the Saints play the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. Before he was released, Copper said he had planned on getting some 30 tickets for family and friends. After his release, he wasn’t able to obtain tickets.

“I told them I can’t tickets for them now,” Copper said. “I wish I could. They’ll just have to swallow that pill.”

Even though he won’t have familiar faces cheering him on at Bank of America Stadium, Copper is happy to be playing close to home.

“It always feels good to play close to home,” Copper said. “In my whole career, even when I was with Dallas, I’ve played Carolina each year. It feels good.”

Copper, who has 46 receptions for 600 yards and seven touchdowns in his NFL career, isn’t sure what to expect from the Panthers since he wasn’t able to watch any game film.

“Just based on what I know from playing them before, I know they play hard,” Copper said. “It’s the NFL so everybody is going to play hard. We just have to go out there and match their intensity.”

While Copper was physically away from the game for three days, he was there mentally.

“It wasn’t a nice break,” he said. “It was difficult. Your body is on a timetable.

“I’m used to doing certain things. I was looking at the clocking going, ‘Oh, they are watching film right now; oh, they are on the field right now.’ It was difficult.”

Though Copper is happy to be rejoining his friends, he’s also happy that there are options out there for him if he gets released again. He was scheduled to work out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday, while 10 other clubs also showed interest.

“I was ready and willing to explore my options,” Copper said. “I’m happy that I’m there (with the Saints). There are no bitter feelings from me toward them because I understand the business part of it. You can’t let the personal aspect get caught up in the business aspect of it.

“It definitely feels good (to know you’re wanted). When you get released from a team, you worry but you still feel okay about getting signed by another team. It feels good to know all those teams wanted me. If I’m on the street again, it feels good to know I have other options.”

Now that he’s back with the Saints, he plans to enjoy every minute of it.

“I wasn’t stressed about the financial aspect,” he said. “I just want to play. I’m going to go in there and just have a good time.”

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Jonathan Goodwin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a left knee injury.

Reggie Bush is expected to miss 3-6 with a torn meniscus in his left knee. He will be having surgery tomorrow.

Jeremy Shockey may have reinjured his hernia and will cause him to miss time.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
            Tracy Porter was placed on season ending IR today.
            Man that's a blow for real. That kid was really coming on and from what I've seen of the Saints he looks like he could really be the real deal. That's a serious loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
              Jonathan Goodwin is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a left knee injury.

Reggie Bush is expected to miss 3-6 with a torn meniscus in his left knee. He will be having surgery tomorrow.

Jeremy Shockey may have reinjured his hernia and will cause him to miss time.
              Can Bush even have surgery yet? They made me wait a week before they could operate on my tear. They typically will not operate when there is that much swelling. I'm interested to see what they say about this situation because you really don't need to have a minscus at all. Many people play without them all together, and a shot of cort does wonders for the pain and stiffness. He could play the rest of the year with a tear, but if they want him to have surgery it will be an injury that lingers throughout the season.

I had a completely successful surgery, but my knee still gives me issues more than before I had surgery. It's something about the process that just makes it not quite right. But the strength he'll lose in that knee over these weeks before he can really push it to work out is going to be really tough on him. imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                It's funny, we are like one Tracy Porter injury in the Washington game, and some reliable kicking away from being 5-0.

I don't usually deal in hypotheticals, but seriously, with a competent kicker we are 4-1 at least.
                That's why the Saints are not out of this thing yet. They're way too good of a team, its just a few bounces that have to go the other way. But this season for the Saints is so far from over it's not even funny. You still have 2 division games against Atlanta. If you win those you're right in the race. I don't think you'll handle ATL in ATL, but your offense is more than capable of causing issues especially with Colston if he's healthy. We don't have someone to match up on him except Houston, but even he's giving up a LOT of height to a beast like Colston. New Orleans is one of those teams if they can sneak in the back door of the playoffs they're going to have just as much of a shot as anyone else.

I think NFC South has a great shot of putting 3 teams in as well. I think Carolina will win the division, ATL and NO will end up 2nd and 3rd in the division. They can both end up in the playoffs ( I did NOT think the Falcons even had a chance at making it at the beginning of the year )

Comment

• Just wanted to get your thoughts regarding the Saints offensive line.

I've seen a lot of Saints football the past three years and I'm starting to think Jamaal Brown would be better suited inside. I think he can be a serviceable left tackle, don't get me wrong, but that position could certainly be upgraded in an offense that passes the ball so often. He always looks good right off the snap, proper footwork and a strong initial punch. But as the play progresses on deep dropbacks, his technique gets all out of whack and when he is up against a good pass rusher, there are several ways to beat him.

I REALLY like what I have seen out of Carl Nicks. He is playing like a rookie in the sense that he seems to always be in recovery mode but he is still playing at a high level. We know he is physically a very good lineman, but his ability to pick up delayed blitzes and stunts is rare to see early in one's career. Once he gets his technique and balance more consistent, you might have yourselves a top tier guard.

Now the issue I see here is, do you keep Brown at LT, or do you move him inside and have him take the place of Jahri Evans. Evans is a nice player but he is too inconsistent as a pass blocker. If you are going to have a strong offensive line, he could be that 6th lineman that can back up both guard spots.

I think the plan should be to try and upgrade that LT position with a 1st round pick, shift Brown to guard, and find a replacement for Stinchcomb at RT...a position that is not hard to fill. Maybe Marc Columbo?

What do you guys think?
                  Originally posted by Paul
                  Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                  Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                  These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• IMO, OLB is clearly our biggest need. In a perfect world, I would hope to see the Saints trade down in the first, in order to get a Curry (probably won't be around) or Cushing (more likely) and add a mid-late 2nd rounder where we could add an O-lineman.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Where as I'm still of the mind an OLB would be our best move in round 1, I'm slowly getting to the point where a S or OL wouldn't piss me off that much either.

Comment

• Yes, losing the league leader in touchdowns is no loss at all :-/

One thing though, whenever Bush goes down, Payton returns to a basic offense in regards to the run game.... why can't he do that when Bush is in? He runs best in normal running plays anyway.

It's not looking good, but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, we have a lot of division games left in which we can make up ground, and our schedule isn't all that bad.
                        Last edited by Saints-Tigers; 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• New Orleans Saints sign a punter

CHANDLER'S CROSS, ENGLAND - Saints Coach Sean Payton announced Monday that the team signed punter Ben Graham to replace Steve Weatherford.

Graham, a 34-year-old who used to play in the Australian Football League, spent more than three seasons with the New York Jets. Graham played in four games this season with the Jets, punting 14 times for an average of 43.3 yards, but was released by the team for the second time this season in late September.

Payton said Monday afternoon that Graham was already with the Saints at their hotel outside London, after flying separate from the team following the Saints' loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• Just in case Graham doesn't work out, my 4 year old and I were outside practicing kicking the ball over the fence.

Comment

• so who's gonna get the majority of the carries next week Thomas or McAllister

Comment

• What God did Sean Patyon piss off? I gotta know.
                                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information