Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embattled Saints kicker Olindo Mare on Monday accepted responsibility for two missed field goals Sunday that might have been the difference between victory and defeat.

But with immediate uncertainty regarding Mare's groin injury and his erratic play, the Saints will audition at least three more kickers today. League sources indicated Mike Vanderjagt, the most accurate kicker in National Football League history and someone whom the Saints worked out in March, is among those scheduled to work, as is former Dallas and Tampa Bay kicker Martin Gramatica. The agent for former Saints kicker Billy Cundiff confirmed Cundiff's scheduled workout.

Saints Coach Sean Payton said the team plans to work out a group of players today, some for practice squad help. He would not specify which positions.
    Source: http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2007...t_forward.html
    Last edited by Sveen; 10-10-2007, 03:07 AM.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• It's not rumors anymore diabsoule, and I can't say I'm surprised. Mare hasn't exactly been reliable kicking field goals...
      Last edited by Sveen; 10-10-2007, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• I'm surprised no NFL team has brought in Shane Andrus. He's been the Colts' guy in preseason the last two years, with Vinatieri not being overworked, and that guy can play. Especially in another dome stadium as the Saints have.

The penalty on Jamaal Brown, which negated a touchdown score, that (temporarily, yes?) benched him was a very questionable one, it seemed.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sveen View Post
          It's not rumors anymore diabsoule, and I can't say I'm surprised. Mare hasn't exactly been reliable kicking field goals...
          I put the word "rumors" there because I couldn't find a link for it.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
            The penalty on Jamaal Brown, which negated a touchdown score, that (temporarily, yes?) benched him was a very questionable one, it seemed.
            Very much so. However, I noticed the refs were pretty favorable to us in that game so I guess it all makes up in the end. But, still.... it definitely hurt.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Brown has really gone backwards this year. He looked like one of the better tackles in the league last year.

Strief has huge upside. I'd like to see him at LT and Brown moved back to the right side.

Comment

• So is Lance Moore gonna get a chance to show you guys something this week, or will he still be benched behind henderson...devery will burn past a defender time to time, yet drops crucial balls as well, so i kept waiting to hear about Moore starting and getting a chance but i never heard anything, guess its hendersons job to lose this year

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Henderson's upside enamors the coaching staff, I guess. Lance Moore has looked really good, and so has David Patten..I'd like to see them get into the games way more than they do.

Comment

• METAIRIE, La. -- Olindo Mare hit a number of field goals from various distances at Thursday's practice, giving New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton enough confidence to keep Mare active this Sunday night in Seattle.

"Mare looked a lot better, looked sharp, did a good job," Payton said.

Mare, who hurt his right groin practicing an onside kick a little over a week ago, made only two of four field goal attempts during the Saints 16-13 loss to Carolina last Sunday.

During the loss, Mare kicked a 20-yard chip shot low and it was easily blocked by Julius Peppers. He also pulled a 54-yard attempt wide left.

Mare sat out Wednesday's practice, and the Saints worked out seven kickers this week, including veterans Mike Vanderjagt and Martin Gramatica.
                    Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Comment

• I heard that the coaching staff is going to stick with Mare.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

• Mare has definitely cost us some valuable points this season, but honestly if the Offense would do their job and actually go down into the Red Zone and score Touchdowns.. his Field Goal problems wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The Offense in general needs to do a much better job in all phases of the game starting up front with Pass protection, and run blocking, Wide Receivers can't drop catchable passes, Drew has to make wiser decisions. I still don't understand how an Offense can go from being so efficient, to so inept in just 1 off-season.

Comment

• Some interesting notes I got from another Saints' forum (the main one I go to):

The Saints are proving to be tough against the run. For the fourth consecutive game, the Saints held an opponent to fewer than 100 yards rushing, matching a similar streak in 2000.
                          That can be skewed as opposing teams can pass on the secondary, but considering how long our defense has been on the field these first four games that's pretty impressive. To some degree, at least.

Rookie cornerback Usama Young injured his shoulder in the second half. His status for Sunday's game against Atlanta will be updated later this week.
                          I wish Young a super speedy recovery. When we selected him, I had a strong feeling he'd be pretty good and make up for us not taking Chris Houston in the first. He played very well on Sunday as a nickelback -- if he continues to develop, he's the future for us at corner.

Kicker Olindo Mare kicked four extra points and said he did not aggravate a groin injury. Punter Steve Weatherford handled kickoffs. "I felt comfortable to kick from 45 yards, but if we had needed a 50-yarder to win, I would have tried it," Mare said. "I tried a (54-yard field goal attempt) the week before (against Carolina) when I couldn't kick it 10 feet. I'll do what I have to do."
                          MEACHEM UPDATE: Rookie wide receiver Robert Meachem, the team's No. 1 draft pick from Tennessee, continues to make up for lost ground from offseason arthroscopic knee surgery. Meachem has been inactive for all five games. "He's made progress, but if it were to my liking, we'd be having him in the game," Saints Coach Sean Payton said. "He still has a ways to go, and he's working hard at it. I think he's made progress, and he's running better."
                          That's good to hear. Meachem on the field can't be any worse than Henderson being out there and dropping passes. Last week, Colston (whom is injured)/Moore/Patten were extremely effective... if Meachem can play soon and get some reps, that would be great.

WORTH REPEATING: "I don't think the heat we were getting as an O-line was unjust. We weren't playing well as an offense. We needed to step our game up. These past two games we played better. We just need to continue on the path we're on and get the running game going and get (Brees) comfortable in the pocket." -- Saints right tackle Jon Stinchcomb. . . . . . . .
                          What I've been saying all season. Yeah, Payton's playcalling has been iffy but the main reason we're 1-4 this season is due to the play of the offensive line. Last week, they got it in gear and made sure that Bush had holes to run through and Brees looked like the QB from last year. Here's hoping they keep it up.
                          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Sure-handed veteran David Pattern has Drew Brees' trust, the result of which can be seen on the field. The offense as a whole is improved a good deal because of his contribution.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              Sure-handed veteran David Pattern has Drew Brees' trust, the result of which can be seen on the field. The offense as a whole is improved a good deal because of his contribution.
                              Very much so. Brees & he made quite a connection over the offseason & during preseason. Sadly, until the Seahawks, Brees didn't have time to throw to him (or if he did, he wasn't accurate) or Patten wasn't playing (either due to injury or Henderson starting). Brees also has a good connection with Lance Moore and hopefully they'll continue to build on their chemistry as the season progresses.

Comment

• Mentioned this on another forum but worth repeating, but I really like the consistency that Lance Moore, and David Patten can bring to the passing game. No they are not Big Play guys for the most part, but they are crisp route runners, with reliable hands. and a Quarterback can count on them to be in the right place.

I think now we're going to start integrating Moore and Patten more, while phasing out Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper. Colston is struggling right now (not sure if it's the back injury or what) but I have faith he'll get back on track, and when he does our Passing game may be back to being highly effective. Don't think it'll be dynamic but at least effective.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information