This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoopid512 View Post
    Congratulations Saints, we have a millionaire on the SCOUT team this year. Meanwhile, Chris Houston and Eric Wright are at least contributing to the team by dressing on Sundays. They also can perform an evasive maneuver essential to playing in the secondary - it's called TACKLING, something that the Toast Tandem of David and Thomas can't do because they simply just have no clue.

I hated the pick of Meacham then, and I still hate the pick now. Meacham is the only player in the first round of the draft to not even dress for a game yet.

Why don't we put Jason David as a Wide Receiver from now on? Think about it, every time we see him on the field, there's nobody around him! He's PERFECT!
    Hell, it might work. I just think that we invested a crapload of money into a nickel corner since that is all I think David is capable of on this team, even though that would have him lining up against the slot and helping against the run.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

• We suck.

That is all.
      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• During the offseason I wanted the Saints to go after Jason David. I thought that making an offer for him and only having to give up a 4th Round pick would be worth it. Considering Jason David's success in the Colts scheme I assumed he could step in and learn the man/zone scheme Gary Gibbs run. I was wrong. I am now eating crow.

Now onto some more thoughts of mine concerning the post season..............

Due to the Saints up-and-down unpredictable season it seems fitting to start looking to the offseason and the draft. Last year the Saints had a prime opportunity to address their defense by having both LB Paul Posluszny and CB Chris Houston available when they were on the clock. The Saints instead went another direction and chose WR Robert Meachem who has yet to see the field or even dress for a game this year. If the Saints would have selected either Posluszny or Houston it would have helped fill holes that instead wil lhave to be filled this year.

The Saints obvious needs rest on the defensive side of the ball, especially the secondary. Jason David is not the corner back the Saints thought he would be when they made an offer for him last offseason. Strong safety Roman Harper is playing adequately but is not outstanding and free safety Josh Bullocks has been exposed by the deep ball. Bullocks, however, might just be the victim of poor play by Jason David while having to take up the slack for Roman Harper's amazingly average play. Bullocks, along with corner back Mike McKenzie, are the only two players that could be considered bright spots in the Saints secondary, however, those bright spots aren't shining that brightly.

After viewing the free agent safeties and corner backs that are available the one guy the Saints should aggressively pursue is Nnamdi Asomaghu, corner back of the Oakland Raiders. Asomaghu (6'2", 215) has emerged as a top cornerback in the league and is hardly tested by opposing quarterbacks. If the Saints were able to sign him then he would line up opposite McKenzie. By going after a cornerback as talented as Asomaghu it does present some difficulties such as what to do with Jason David and how often will last year's third round pick Usama Young see the field? Jason David would seemingly make a great nickel back but then that puts Young, who has shown some signs of being the type of corner the Saints need, as a dime back and would stunt his growth.

Another direction the Saints could go is linebacker. Last year the Saints signed weakside linebacker Scott Shanle to a four year contract extension and targeted veteran MLB/OLB Brian Simmons in free agency. This year, however, neither have played as expected. Shanle has played decent but Simmons failed to crack the starting line-up and couldn't beat Saints incumbent MLB Mark Simoneau for the starting job in training camp. Both Shanle and Simmons, as well as Simoneau, are not ideal starters in the NFL. Two very talented linebackers are listed as unrestricted free agents next year, OLB Lance Briggs and MLB Karlos Dansby.
        Lance Briggs has more tackles than Shanle and Simoneau combined (both are starters) this year and would immediately upgrade the OLB position. Dansby has ten more tackles, 2 more forced fumbles (zero for Simoneau), and 3 more interceptions than Mark Simoneau (goose egg again) so far this year and would be a significant upgrade at MLB.

The Saints front four play well. They have two very good defensive ends in Charles Grant and Will Smith, who is due a contract extension. Defensive tackles Hollis Thomas and Brian Young have both played well along. Back up McKinley Boykin has played very well in limited action. Kendrick Clancy and Antwan Lake see very limited action and seem like afterthoughts along the defensive front. Hollis Thomas is the Saints run stuffer and does his job very well but he is not getting younger. The Saints might have found a possible starter in McKinley Boykin but they need help up front in order to free up their linebackers to make plays.
        The free agent defensive tackle pool this year is pretty weak but there look to be a few players that are worth targeting. One player the Saints might pursue is Randy Starks. A young player at only twenty four years of age has spent his entire brief career with the Tennessee Titans and has learned from Albert Haynesworth. While not as stout as Hollis Thomas, Starks would battle with Brian Young for the starting position and would give the Saints another player who could collapse the pocket and help put pressure on the quarterback. Two other players that might be targeted are Tommy Kelly and Chuck Darby, however both were placed on IR this year and it would be risky investing a lot of money into either one.

The other aspect of the game the Saints need improvement in is special teams as kicker Olindo Mare clearly has not been the player the Saints thought they would get when they acquired him from the Miami Dolphins last year for a sixth round draft pick. While Mare has struggled with a nagging injury his accuracy has not been what is used to be when he was healthy. The one kicker that is young enough to be with the Saints for some time ot come is Josh Brown. Brown possesses a strong leg and can be used on field goals as well as kickoffs. He would give the black and gold someone who is consistent on field goals, which is something that has been definitely lacking this season.

Of course it all depends on who the Saints sign in free agency as to which position they will target in the draft. The preferences being that they target CB Nnamdi Asomaghu, DT Randy Starks, and K Josh Brown. By targeting those three it would give the Saints a solid starting cornerback opposite Mike McKenzie, a young, talented defensive tackle in Starks, and a reliable, consistent kicker in Josh Brown. That would then leave OLB and MLB as the most pressing needs with safety and defensive tackle being secondary needs. Needs also lie on offense at RT and a short yardage RB, however, those are also secondary needs.

With OLB and MLB being the most pressing needs from this propsed offseason that would leave the Saints in a perfect position to draft some elite prospects at either one of those positions. The man that would immediately upgrade the Saints linebacking corps and fits the mold of one of the players the Saints were interested in during the 2006 NFL draft would be Dan Conner from Penn State. With Conner being the selection in the first round, a middle linebacker would be needed in the second. The other player that would help out tremendously would be Jonathan Goff from Vanderbilt. Goff has played againt top notch SEC competition and is comparable to DeMeco Ryans. Those two players, Conner and Goff, would immediately upgrade the Saints linebacking unit and would leave DT, SS, RT, and RB as areas of concern the Saints could address during the draft.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I have a question, say hypothetically the Saints win today, and the Redskins beat Tampa, then the Saints beat Tampa next week.

Tampa and the Saints would have the same overall record, split head to head, and have the same record in the Conference. What is the tie breaker, is it Divisional wins to losses?

Because if that is the case then the Saints are screwed since they lost to Carolina. Tampa would have to lose another game at least while the Saints go undefeated for the rest of the season.

Comment

• Reggie Bush has a torn PCL and is likely done for the season. Both of our featured running backs are out now with a torn knee ligament. I wonder how this will affect Bush's quickness.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3145712

WHO DAT!

Comment

• They're saying he won't need surgery. It shouldn't mess him up all that bad.

If this were week 1 he'd be back before the trade deadline..its just that there are only 4 weeks left in the season that puts him out for the rest of it.

Comment

• But he could still be back in time for the playoffs!

I tried. :(
                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• It was a noble attempt.

Comment

• Looks like Marcus Trufant, CB, will more than likely be a free agent next year. Think we should go after him? If yes, what do we do with Jason David and Usama Young?

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I really think Usama Young can be a good #2 opposite of McKenzie is given the chance -- he's just been banged up. Sign Trufant is possible.. our secondary would then look like...

#1 CB: Mike McKenzie (who has been unreal this season for us, too bad he doesn't have help :()
                      #2 CB: Marcus Trufant

With Jason David & Usama Young playing NB/DB. I like that idea. Snag the BDPA in the first & second round... Keith Rivers, Dan Connors, Kenny Phillips... whomever.

I like that idea.

Comment

• We win out & and MIN loses one game.. we're in the playoffs. I don't even know how I feel about that.

Comment

• Sadly I think the Coaching staff may try to force the Jason David situation to work out until the bitter end.. because of the contract we gave him. Rather than just admitting it was a mistake to try and convert him into being a Man coverage CB, cutting the losses and moving on. (and I do believe he's played his way out of a job this season, I understand giving him some time to adjust to the scheme and learning curve but at this point in the season he shouldn't be making the same mistakes he was making in Week 1)

Even though it's unlikely that their teams will let them hit the open market I believe Marcus Trufant, Asante Samuel, and Nnamdi Asomugha are scheduled to hit Free agency and I think the Saints should actively talk to all of them. I think we need to be aggressive in Free agency in attempting to bring in some high quality talent on Defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            I really think Usama Young can be a good #2 opposite of McKenzie is given the chance -- he's just been banged up. Sign Trufant is possible.. our secondary would then look like...

#1 CB: Mike McKenzie (who has been unreal this season for us, too bad he doesn't have help :()
                            #2 CB: Marcus Trufant

With Jason David & Usama Young playing NB/DB. I like that idea. Snag the BDPA in the first & second round... Keith Rivers, Dan Connors, Kenny Phillips... whomever.

I like that idea.
                            I really like that idea as well. I think Trufant will be the third most expensive CB in FA but we need to actively pursue him. He's still young and is very talented. I also want us to go after DT Randy Starks from the Titans. Those two would help seal holes in our defense right before the draft.

Auron, I agree with everything you said although I hope the coaching staff realizes that Jason David just is not the player they thought he was and try to renegotiate his contract. I think he has potential but just not as a starter in our scheme. Also, when McKenzie is up for FA in 2009, he will be 32 years old and if we happen to sign Trufant, we could rotate Trufant to #1 and move Young to #2. That'd look pretty sweet.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• HALL TO PAYTON: "I'LL PLAY FOR YOU FOR THE MINIMUM"

Our moles who were in the Georgia Dome on Monday night tell us that, at one point during the game between New Orleans and Atlanta, Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was overheard telling Saints coach Sean Payton, "I'll play for you for the minimum," or words to that effect."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Granted, it is PFT but if true...

Would you guys want him, and for the right price?

If he cleans his act up, I would deff go for him, but that's a big IF.

Comment

• Somehow, I have a hard time believing that. Piece of Trash Disgustingly Wearing Deion Sanders' Number will be a free agent after 2008, he's already looking forward to reaching free agency and trying to equal or better Nate Clements' deal.

Any team that trades for him will do so having worked out an extension before pulling the trigger. Will it be the Saints? Would Atlanta trade him to a division rival, and would the Saints give up the draft pick(s)?
                                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information