Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are the only two guys I'd like to see us take with the #10 pick (being reasonable):

DT Sedrick Ellis
    LB James Laurinitis

I really want to see us go after Demorrio Williams in FA. He's a young, talented will linebacker who could step in immediately and upgrade that position. I also want to see us go after DT Corey Williams or some of that caliber. Albert Haynesworth will more than likely be re-signed by the Titans. I don't see why they would let him go.
    Then for CB I want to see us go after Marcus Trufant and draft someone in and after round two.

I'd love to see Keith Rivers in the black and gold but he's a pure Will backer and while we need help at Will, Mike is where the upgrade is needed immediately. If we can't get Kawika Mitchell in FA then we have to target someone like Little Animal or trade down to get Dan Conner. We need an impact Mike NOW. The draft is pretty deep on weakside guys so we should be able to find our future weakside guy if we are able to properly scout the talent.

I want our first three picks to be on defense. We have to rebuild that side of the line. We can concentrate on our offense in FA. We don't need that much help there.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by 619 View Post
      Asante Samuel would look awesome on the Saints but im not so sure the team is willing to dish out that kinda dough in the offseason.
      I'm not sure I'd take him with that tirade he threw at the beginning of the season...last thing the Saints need is a distraction of that caliber on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoopid512 View Post
        I'm not sure I'd take him with that tirade he threw at the beginning of the season...last thing the Saints need is a distraction of that caliber on the team.
        Exactly. I'd much rather go after someone like Marcus Trufant.

Whatever we do, we need to do a lot of it. Our defense needs to be overhauled and I am unsure if the defensive coordinator needs to be overhauled with it.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I'm going to update my free agent targets as well as put in a mock draft very soon.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Jammal Brown is being fined $25,000 for hitting a ref.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3181934

WHO DAT!

Comment

• Oh! I remember seeing that. I thought he was gonna get thrown out for sure, but the ref did kinda jump right in so I guess he figured it was accidental.

Comment

Well, it was the same kind of situation with Mike McKenzie in Green Bay before we got him. Now, I don't know if Payton would take a risk on a disgruntled player like Jim Haslett did, but the McKenzie deal ended up being a pretty good one.

With that said, though, we have too many holes to fill to pour the kind of money that an Asante Samuel or a Marcus Trufant will demand into just one of those holes. Ideally, we will be looking at new starters at MLB, WLB, CB, FS, and DT next season. The only starters who really earned their job for next season are Smith, Fujita, Harper, and McKenzie. 4 guys, that's IT (eh, 5 - you can also add Charles Grant to that list due to his shiny new contract). We really should be looking at 5 or 6 new starters on the defensive side of the ball next season. We need to draft one or two guys who can step right in as an upgrade at one of those 5 positions, and obviously do a lot better in free agency this season. I say bring in a new defensive coordinator, too. It's kind of unfair to judge Gary Gibbs given what he's actually had to work with (a glaring example of bringing in players that do not fit his scheme - *coughjasondavidcough*); HOWEVER, with Payton completely focused on the offensive side of the ball, I think we need to bring in somebody to run the defense who actually has experience as an NFL defensive coordinator, not learning on the fly like Gibbs has done. This is quickly turning into a rant and probably belongs in the Offseason thread, so I'll end it here... just my 2 cents thrown in.
                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

I'd much rather trade for DeAngelo Hall.
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• Asante Samuel threw a tirade?
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• I really don't think it necessary to dole out the big bucks for Samuel or Trufant, or trade a Day 1 draft pick for D-Hall, to fix our secondary. What we need is a solid cornerback to start opposite McKenzie, and a free safety who is solid in coverage to replace Josh Bullocks, who was absolutely awful. As of now, I'm really leaning towards Kenny Phillips with the #10 pick, which would solve the latter. If we go that route, I would love for us to sign somebody like Drayton Florence from San Diego to fill the #2 cornerback position. We could just as easily go CB with pick #10 and sign a safety in free agency (Gibril Wilson is a guy who comes to mind).

CB - Mike McKenzie
                      SS - Roman Harper
                      FS - Kenny Phillips
                      CB - Drayton Florence

or

CB- Mike McKenzie
                      SS - Roman Harper
                      FS - Gibril Wilson
                      CB - Malcolm Jenkins

Problems solved. :)

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Mike McKenzie might be out the majority of next season -- our secondary is definitely in bad shape.
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• We will have enough money to go after both Gibril Wilson and Drayton Florence. D-Flo is a guy I want really bad for the Saints. he can come in immediately and contribute. I somewhat doubt that we will go after Wilson, since he would compete with Bullocks for the starting position and I don't think the coaching staff wants Bullocks riding pine. We may look into a trade for Josh but I'm not so sure.

We have to go after someone like Trufant and Florence. It's something that we have to do. We need secondary help now. We can't wait a few years for it whoever we draft to develop.

We can actually go after LB help in the draft. If we just go after LB in the first round and second round we would be able to draft starts for both WLB and MLB.

We also have to address DT's in free agency. Corey Williams and Randy Starks or Damione Lewis need to be top players we target.

I'd love to be the GM during this offseason. It's a chance to really put a great group of guys together for quite a while and make a serious run in the NFC.

WHO DAT!

Comment

• I really don't think McKenzie is going to miss the majority of anything. Although I'm unsure of the severity of the injury, it's totally possible to fully recover from a torn ACL in 8-10 months. I could be missing some bit of info, or flat out talking out of my ass, but I really don't see him missing more than the first half of the season at the absolute worst-case scenerio. No sarcasm, if I've got anything messed up, let me know.

Dia - I'm glad we agree on Florence... but Trufant, man... I don't know, I could see him pulling in a contract in the same ballpark as what Nate Clements got. Dude just had a monster season. I wanted him so badly when we traded up in 2003... ugh, let's just leave it at that.

Corey Williams, me likey. As for LB's in the draft, I think Ali Highsmith in Rd 2 would be a nice fit for WLB, but I'm not too sold on this year's MLB crop. Kawika Mitchell's another guy I'd really like for us to sign. Talking about the offseason is getting me pumped for next year already.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                              I really don't think McKenzie is going to miss the majority of anything. Although I'm unsure of the severity of the injury, it's totally possible to fully recover from a torn ACL in 8-10 months. I could be missing some bit of info, or flat out talking out of my ass, but I really don't see him missing more than the first half of the season at the absolute worst-case scenerio. No sarcasm, if I've got anything messed up, let me know.
                              Mike D. has reported that there is a good chance McKenzie could miss all of the '08 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                                I really don't think McKenzie is going to miss the majority of anything. Although I'm unsure of the severity of the injury, it's totally possible to fully recover from a torn ACL in 8-10 months. I could be missing some bit of info, or flat out talking out of my ass, but I really don't see him missing more than the first half of the season at the absolute worst-case scenerio. No sarcasm, if I've got anything messed up, let me know.

Dia - I'm glad we agree on Florence... but Trufant, man... I don't know, I could see him pulling in a contract in the same ballpark as what Nate Clements got. Dude just had a monster season. I wanted him so badly when we traded up in 2003... ugh, let's just leave it at that.

Corey Williams, me likey. As for LB's in the draft, I think Ali Highsmith in Rd 2 would be a nice fit for WLB, but I'm not too sold on this year's MLB crop. Kawika Mitchell's another guy I'd really like for us to sign. Talking abouthe offseason is getting me pumped for next year already.
                                I want Kawika Mitchell as well. Him and Highsmith would be awesome. It'd be even sweeter if we could get Jonathan Goff in Rd. 3

WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information