PS Game 1 Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS Game 1 Discussion

Soooo....of course its way to early to overreact, but Im just gonna discuss my observations in bulletin format.

- Diehl and the offensive line did not look good at all. They couldn't create holes for Jacobs in the run game, and didn not pass protect well at all. The first pass play of the game, Diehl blew his assignment and blocked no one, the 2nd pass play of the game he let his man blow right past him. After that he continued to struggle. And mind you, this is just 4 man rushes. This oline does not look good at all right now, and this could be a SERIOUS problem coming into the season. They better get it together before the season starts, but right now they look horrible.

- Jacobs did what he could, but he lacks burst, and because he's so big, the holes need to be bigger for him. He's not Tiki, he can't squeek through cracks. This oline needs to do a better job blocking up front for the big fella. Plus, he needs a fullback. And we have none. Great....

- Eli did ok, not too happy about that one pass, but hey, the guy was not getting great pass protection at all. He could be in store for a very ugly season if his line doesn't get it together.

- The defense looks different. The safeties play closer, the CBs press, the alignment is more of a true 4-3. The scheme should be ok, but one thing that worries me is the middle of the field is wide open. Our linebackers cannot cover at all.

- Kiwi cannot play LB. No way. He's lost out there. He continually missed his gap assignment in the run game, and was lost in coverage. Use him as a situational pass rusher, not a true LB. He won't hack it at all.

- The middle of the defense is soft. You saw how they got gashed by the run game? Ive been saying for a long time that I don't feel comfortable about this new setup without a true NT. And it showed on the field. The middle of the defense was getting gashed for runs over and over again. And I wasn't impressed with Pierce either. He needs to step it up as well.

- DeOssie looked good. He or Kawika Mitchell should start at SAM for us.

- Chase kicks ass. How long is it gonna be before the man gets a starting job? He makes plays everytime he's out there. Put him at WILL, move Kawika to SAM or start DeOssie there, we NEED him on the field. Especially with how porous our run D was, we can use his run thumping out there. Just put him out there. He's earned a chance at the starting lineup.

- Corey Webster still sucks, no surprise there.

- For all the people who say we can live without Strahan, think again. Ive said last season that his intangibles can't be measured. And it shows on the field. He's still the best run stuffing DE in the game. Our run defense dramatically improves with him on the field period. We need him back. We're not better without him. Not by a longshot. So all that "we don't need Strahan" mumbo jumbo...forget it. You don't get better losing a HOF player.

Thats pretty much it. I probably overreacted with some of my analysis. Its hard not to do when you've been waiting so long. But if you put your homerism aside for a second, and analyze this team based on what we saw today, this is not a good team. They can improve, and they better improve. But right here right now, the product on the field is the worst in the NFC East. If they play like that this season, we'll be the bottom of the NFC East.

It wasn't built in a day, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eli View Post

It wasn't built in a day, either.
      You can't teach someone how to play linebacker in 4 weeks either. It would be one thing if Kiwi showed some promise out there, but he looked way out of place.

On a lighter note, did anyone else notice the bunches formations being used? How do we feel about that? I actually like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        You can't teach someone how to play linebacker in 4 weeks either. It would be one thing if Kiwi showed some promise out there, but he looked way out of place.
        It wasn't just about Kiwi, it was about the entire team. But Kiwi can improve and I think he will. We know he's a smart kid. We know he's got the athletic ability.

Comment

Just wondering how Ross did in his first game... I still wish we had a chance to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
            Just wondering how Ross did in his first game... I still wish we had a chance to get him.

Didn't play.

Comment

if strahan doesnt play(retires) we should put Kiwi at DE and start either Chase or Zak. everytime Chase is on the field, he makes plays. seriously, in the 1st half, it looked like Gibril, Osi, Chase and Zak were the only guys who knew how to tackle.(although Kawika hada nice hit).

also, J-Load was very good. and BBD, on FB, Douglas had a nice catch out of the backfield. He's no Finn when it comes to blocking, but he looked much smoother catching the ball.

also, Bradshaw(aside from the fumble) and Ward both impressed me. Ward had a nice return and a nice run for a TD. Bradshaw was very quick and elusive and saw him have a really nice block on a LB, he dove in there after getting beat and stopped the LB from getting to Wright.
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

bradshaw surprised me, and also i think we should trade strahan, there is no point of keeping him here, at least we can get some value out of him

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                  bradshaw surprised me, and also i think we should trade strahan, there is no point of keeping him here, at least we can get some value out of him
                  ????? did you watch the way our run D was shredded by Deangelo Williams? i cant believe you just said that...

and on that track, my aunt, strahan's personal agent, said that he will probably return this week... for what its worth
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

My thoughts...

http://www.ny-footballgiants.com/columns/author/14/

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                      ????? did you watch the way our run D was shredded by Deangelo Williams? i cant believe you just said that...

and on that track, my aunt, strahan's personal agent, said that he will probably return this week... for what its worth
                      I watched the game, i didn't see deangelo though. We got killed in the run game, but i'd rather see kiwi go back to DE because he seemed outta place. I just felt that strahan could be worth a 3rd or a 4th at least

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                        I watched the game, i didn't see deangelo though. We got killed in the run game, but i'd rather see kiwi go back to DE because he seemed outta place. I just felt that strahan could be worth a 3rd or a 4th at least
                        strahan will either be a giant, or retired...
                        We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eli View Post
                          It wasn't just about Kiwi, it was about the entire team. But Kiwi can improve and I think he will. We know he's a smart kid. We know he's got the athletic ability.
                          I'll give him until the end of PS. If he doesn't work the kinks out by then, then he should be a situational pass rusher and keep practicing LB during the season until he's ready. He shouldn't start in Week 1 if he's still shakey.

One thing I was disappointed in, that Im gonna pay close attention to now is Antonio Pierce. His production wasn't that great last year toward the 2nd half of the season. I initially blamed the scheme for that, but then this first PS game, he was rather unimpressive. I'll attribute it to the interior dline getting worked badly but I still want to see more out of him. I was disappointed with him. He also is a little heavier than he should be. He's not conditioned his body right. Thats another thing Im angry about. This scheme needs a sledgehammer MIKE. Chase actually fits the scheme better, but Im definately not advocating benching Pierce for Chase. Im just saying. Chase needs to be on that field. Id put him at WILL, and if Kiwi fails at SAM put either Mitchell or DeOssie at SAM. But more than ever, I feel Chase deserves a starting spot.

I still think this defense will be much better in the pass game with its attacking nature. The thing is, we won't see that until the regular season, theyre not gonna do their blitzes right now. Plus no Strahan, no Tuck, no Robbins, thats not exactly a great recipe for success on the dline.

But one thing that worries me still is our run D. Ive been saying for a long time that I want an NT, and I don't believe in this new system that has no true NT. People tend to forget, while Philly has always had a solid D, they never were known as a dominant run defense. And the scheme attributes to that. That could be a problem.

The Skins, Eagles, and Cowboys all have very good interior olines. If the middle of this dline doesn't pick it up, our run defense will be real bad this year. We have small DTs. Theyre gonna get pushed around by those big hulking lines in our division. That puts added pressure on our LB core to stop the run, and right now we're asking a below average LB core to get the job done. Thats not gonna cut it.

They have 3 more weeks to get it together, hopefully they can. Spags is gonna have to adjust his scheme a little this year. We don't have the personnell to fit it perfectly.

Comment

BBD i was a little concerned with Pierce's performance, but thinking again that his front line consisted of WillyJo at end at rookie Alford at DT. Kiwi just needs more reps and coaching. after making a tackle and coming off the field, i saw Armstead give him a high five. i really hope Armstead coaches the LB's this year(at least helps) he could be GREAT for all our LB's.

but i think the majority of us agree, Chase should get a shot at starting or even start, for either Kiwi or Kawika
                            We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                              BBD i was a little concerned with Pierce's performance, but thinking again that his front line consisted of WillyJo at end at rookie Alford at DT. Kiwi just needs more reps and coaching. after making a tackle and coming off the field, i saw Armstead give him a high five. i really hope Armstead coaches the LB's this year(at least helps) he could be GREAT for all our LB's.

but i think the majority of us agree, Chase should get a shot at starting or even start, for either Kiwi or Kawika
                              Thats the thing. Where do we put Chase? We can use Kawika's speed on the field. He actually looked pretty solid out there. At the same time, you hope Kiwi develops so we have a playmaker out there from the LB core as a pass rusher.

Id have an open competition between Kawika and Chase right now for the WILL spot if Kiwi can eventually get the SAM position down. If he continues to struggle, we just gotta move Kawika to SAM and put Chase at WILL.

I want to see Robbins in the middle too. Looks like we're gonna need him there. And I hope we move Coffield back to nose but I know thats not happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information