PS Game 3 Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
    against the Jets he was owned on basically every play. Wright was chased from behind through basically the whole 3rd quarter. At the game, during the lame 3rd quarter, i focused on watching Whimper, who kept getting beat like one of Vick's dogs. Guys were running through him and around him like it was nothing...
    Now I didn't see the game Saturday but I've heard the other side of that coin. I've heard Whimper did his job, it was everyone else who didn't. TE didn't, RB missed a block, whatever, but I heard Whimper was okay.

Comment

he looked lost completly. He had some nice blocks, but just got burned several times. Our backup OL hasnt looked good at all so far, but lets hope we dont need to use them in the regular season!!
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Well I had a chance to watch the game on TV finally, and I think Whimper did a fairly good job a majority of the time. Of course you have to remember, Whimper really didn't see the 3-4 in college or on the practice squad a majority of the time, so it's a pretty different feeling. I'll contribute it to growing pains.

I would agree Whimper doesn't really have a nasty streak though (funny considering his name), but I would be more comfortable with him starting at guard than Zach Pillar. Koets seemed to do all right at guard.

As for Eli throwing off his back foot..it seemed like he improved that quite a bit. I recall seeing a couple defenders in his face and he still stepped up and threw the ball effectively. I liked what I saw against the Ravens though, where he was using some of his athleticism (which I think is underrated for him) to move the pocket and throw the ball. Honestly, I just like the fact he hasn't turned the ball over really, except that botched snap against the Ravens. I think Eli may be in for a great season this year.
        (shameless self-promotion)
        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eli View Post
          Bash Whimper all you want, find every supposed negative in his game, but at least admit he's had one hell of a preseason when most fans basically wrote him off.
          How? All reports have indicated that he's been getting stomped on in training camp, plus, he was not impressive during preseason games either. Mind you, he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. To play "ok" against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't mean squat. His improvement this year was supposed to let us know if he can be a realistic long term solution at LT, and I think its safe to say the answer is a resounding no. I personally thought he did horrible against the Jets. I haven't seen anything out of him to lead me to believe that he can be a starter in this league. I don't even think he can ever be a guard, he's simply too soft.

I wish he was the real deal too, trust me. But sometimes you just gotta take your losses and move on. Whimper was a failed experiment. I wouldn't invest anymore faith in him. If he does, great even though i doubt it, but I don't think this team should go into this upcoming offseason thinking that Whimper will hold us down in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            How? All reports have indicated that he's been getting stomped on in training camp, plus, he was not impressive during preseason games either. Mind you, he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. To play "ok" against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't mean squat. His improvement this year was supposed to let us know if he can be a realistic long term solution at LT, and I think its safe to say the answer is a resounding no. I personally thought he did horrible against the Jets. I haven't seen anything out of him to lead me to believe that he can be a starter in this league. I don't even think he can ever be a guard, he's simply too soft.

I wish he was the real deal too, trust me. But sometimes you just gotta take your losses and move on. Whimper was a failed experiment. I wouldn't invest anymore faith in him. If he does, great even though i doubt it, but I don't think this team should go into this upcoming offseason thinking that Whimper will hold us down in the future.
            Dude, he might not have been impressive, but what lineman are exactly impressive period? Lineman aren't supposed to be impressive, they're supposed to get the job done. And the two preseason games I saw, Whimper did just that.

His pass blocking needs work but he can run block and knows how to do it. Why are we giving up on him yet, because we don't see a mean streak? Did Luke Petitgout have a mean streak? Does David Diehl?

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eli View Post
              Dude, he might not have been impressive, but what lineman are exactly impressive period? Lineman aren't supposed to be impressive, they're supposed to get the job done. And the two preseason games I saw, Whimper did just that.

His pass blocking needs work but he can run block and knows how to do it. Why are we giving up on him yet, because we don't see a mean streak? Did Luke Petitgout have a mean streak? Does David Diehl?
              Actually David Diehl does.

Comment

I don't know. I don't think he played as bad as you're making it seem. I've re-watched each pre-season game, and basically I've focused solely on him and to be honest, I think he's done pretty decent. Granted, he's had some break downs, but every player will. Especially since he was a conversion from guard and has only been in the NFL one year.

The coaches seem to think he's done 'okay' in camp, which to me sounds like he needs more time to develop. I don't see the harm in letting him back up Diehl this year and see how he does during practice every week to watch if he improves. It think if nothing else, Whimper can develop into a good back up at tackle.

I actually really look forward to the 4th pre-season game for us, because I'd like to see how he does when he gets the chance to play the majority of the football game. That and I'd like to see how some of the CB's do this week.

Well, on that note, how did you think some of the guys did at CB for us during the PS so far?

I think Ross has done pretty well. Dockery seems like a good dime back, McPhearson seemed to be doing pretty well also. Surprisingly, I'd have to say Underwood has been very unimpressive so far. Sadly, I don't think Dockery would ever be a good starter for us, but he could develop into a great nickleback. His size really hurts him when he has to cover a pretty fair sized WR.
                (shameless self-promotion)
                Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information