Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants running some 3-4 this year?

Props to Jay for the picture.

I forgot to mention this before, but we've seen this formation a couple of times this PS. Looks like a 1 gap styled 3-4 front. I wonder if we'll be using this formation during the regular season. And if we do, will it be only on passing downs, or on 1st and 2nd as well?

And who would be manning the line? Im guessing Strahan and Tuck as ends, and perhaps Coffield at NT? I don't think this will be used all the time, but it would be interesting to see if we run some of this on passing downs.

I personally like our nickel front with Tuck at UT more. I think with our personnell, it works better. In that front, we had Kiwi and Osi at End, Tuck and Robbins at tackle. But now with Strahan back, Im guessing Strahan wil be at end, and I don't know if we'd sub out Kiwi on those downs, or he would stay as a standup rushbacker. Just something I wanted to point out.

i like it. not as our base D, but to mix things up and confuse some D's. Kiwi and Osi are outstanding rushers off the edge, Strahan and Tuck would be good fits at 3-4 ends, but DT, i guess it would be Cofield. I'd like to see Chase and Antonio as our LB's in the middle, but it would probably be Mitchell. We are very deep at LB, Spags is creative, and we have diversity on the Dline. I wouldnt be surprised to see some mix ups and exotic packages...
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
      i like it. not as our base D, but to mix things up and confuse some D's. Kiwi and Osi are outstanding rushers off the edge, Strahan and Tuck would be good fits at 3-4 ends, but DT, i guess it would be Cofield. I'd like to see Chase and Antonio as our LB's in the middle, but it would probably be Mitchell. We are very deep at LB, Spags is creative, and we have diversity on the Dline. I wouldnt be surprised to see some mix ups and exotic packages...
      we definately cannot use it as a base defense. We just don't have the dline for it. But I can see it having some success as a situational package. Id love to see what Osi can do as a rushbacker. I think he'd be an even better rushbacker than DE. And thats saying alot.

Comment

yea there's 0 chance of it being our base D. but for some situations it could be very scary. Just imagine Tuck and Strahan being down lineman, with Kiwi and Osi, blitzing at you! if it's a passing down, perhaps Alford in the middle? for pass rush? he'd get run all over, but could be effective rushing the passer...
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          we definately cannot use it as a base defense. We just don't have the dline for it. But I can see it having some success as a situational package. Id love to see what Osi can do as a rushbacker. I think he'd be an even better rushbacker than DE. And thats saying alot.

Really, I always felt if we did switch to the 3-4 fulltime, Osi would not be the best fit. I'll take your views over mine though on this as my x's and o's are pretty bad.

If Osi could make that transition, we actually do have a lot of pieces necessary for a 3-4. I'd love to see us running something like Miami does and use Kiwi and Osi like Taylor
          Last edited by Damix; 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

On passing downs I think we'll see a lot of 5 man rush attacks with Strahan, Osi, Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Robbins all going for the QB (which can be scary good). I think Spags will find more than a few ways to get these guys rushing the passer and switching the fronts up a little won't be a big deal. We're still a 4-3 team but in today's NFL, you need variety.
            Originally posted by Paul
            Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
            Originally posted by Vikes99ej
            These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
            MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Who is the 3 man line in that picture? Also is that Torbor as the other ILB?

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                Who is the 3 man line in that picture? Also is that Torbor as the other ILB?
                The 3 man line is (left to right) Tuck-Robbins-Cofield and I think Davis is that other LB, not 100% sure on that one. It isn't Torbor.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

that's what the Jets should be doing... Have a 4-3 as a base defense with ellis, robertson, coleman, thomas on the dline and hobson barton vilma in the back.... that'd be a great front 7... having those players move around in a 3-4 only plays to thomas and coleman's strengths but hurts vilma ellis robertson and barton
                  Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by mangini for pres View Post
                    that's what the Jets should be doing... Have a 4-3 as a base defense with ellis, robertson, coleman, thomas on the dline and hobson barton vilma in the back.... that'd be a great front 7... having those players move around in a 3-4 only plays to thomas and coleman's strengths but hurts vilma ellis robertson and barton
                    Yeh but you're not the Giants, you just happen to play in our stadium.
                    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by mangini for pres View Post
                      I never favored the switch to the 3-4 for the Jets, it just didn't fit at all. Its hard to question Mangini though, the man is a good coach. So I give him benefit of the doubt.

The hard bullet to bite for Jets fans is the realization that Vilma has to go. He just won't work in this scheme. We'll gladly give you a 3rd rounder for him. Tell Mangini to give me a call, we'll work out the details.

Comment

I never favored the switch to the 3-4 for the Jets, it just didn't fit at all. Its hard to question Mangini though, the man is a good coach. So I give him benefit of the doubt.

The hard bullet to bite for Jets fans is the realization that Vilma has to go. He just won't work in this scheme. We'll gladly give you a 3rd rounder for him. Tell Mangini to give me a call, we'll work out the details.
                        Ha. If we are sticking with our current 4-3 scheme, Vilma would make a perfect WLB in it.

Comment

Our pass rush is gonna be deadly this year. I just hope the coverage holds up. Because theres no question in my mind, theres no way any team can block our pass rush when we send all 5 of our horses at them.

Now the trick is to stop the run, so we can get them to that point....
                          Last edited by bigbluedefense; 09-07-2007, 02:40 PM. Reason: Damn, my spelling sucked on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            Ha. If we are sticking with our current 4-3 scheme, Vilma would make a perfect WLB in it.
                            Id love to have him on our team. I wonder if the Jets would ever consider trading him. Theyd probably ask for a 1st rounder for him. Even then, Vilma is worth it.

Comment

Our pass rush is gonna be deadly this year. I just hope the coverage holds up. Because theres no question in my mind, theres no way any team can block our pass rush when we said all our 5 of our horses at them.

Now the trick is to stop the run, so we can get them to that point....
                              We looked lethal against the run against Baltimore and the Jets. I like our front 7.

Defensively it's no secret....can we force turnovers and stop the short to intermediate passing game.
                              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information