The Official G-Men 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official G-Men 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Everyone else has one, so we should start one as well.

I would love Keith Rivers as our WLB

Originally posted by Halsey
    I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

after watching the game, lets hope kenny phillips is available

Comment

I take notes on every game I watch. Just some things for you to keep an eye on if your ever home on a Saturday-

Running Backs

I know we 're deep there but do we have an every down back? I don't think so. The likes of WV's Steve Slaton, Clemson's James Davis, and Rutgers Ray Rice are all juniors that I think will declare and could be available where I think we will be picking (12-16).

Offensive Tackles

I think we almost have to look to grab one with one of our first 2 picks. The likes of Jake Long and Alex Boone from the Big 10 are two of my favorites and Barry Richardson was strong in the game I watched last week. I started to fall in love with Oklahoma's junior LT Phil Loadholt. Not sure he will come out this year but damn, looks like a replica of Long.

Linebackers

Still think this will be one of four positions we go in round 1. Dan Connor reminds me a ton of Poz, which means I like him as an NFL prospect. Keep your eye on Wheeler (Ga Tech) too....he is a playmaker that plays very fast and very physical. My darkhorse here is yet again another underclassman from Oklahoma, Mike Reed. 6'0 255 with speed and strength, hits like a ton of bricks. Reminds me a bit of Lofa Tatupu.

Defensive Back

Not sure we would go CB in round 1, but I wouldn't rule it out because I don't see Madison and RW here in 08. If we are in position to take Kenny Phillips from the U, that means we had a really, really bad season. He looks like he fits the mold of an Ed Reed type centerfielder that can lay the wood. I really like Rutgers' Courtney Green as well but he is also a junior. And whyyy not, back to the Oklahoma defense. I think I found my favorite college CB in the nation in Sooners junior Reggie Smith. Kid is a flat out stud...gets in and out with explosiveness and has outstanding size (6'0-198). His senior teammate Marcus Walker looks like he has some potential as well.

All in all....watch OU when you get the chance.
      Originally posted by Paul
      Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
      Originally posted by Vikes99ej
      These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

after how poorly bulter played last night, i actually hope courtney greene enters and we take him. he's just the kind of hard hitting play making safety we need
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

i believe we'll be picking in the early to middle of the first round. (8-16)

I think first and foremost, we need to bring in a coverage safety. Gibril is great against the run, but combined he and Butler are a liability against the pass. Unless Michael Johnson or Craig Dahl steps up, highly unlikely however, I would love to see Kenny Phillips in a Giants uniform. A veteran would be better though, maybe some one like Mike Doss or Jordan Babineaux.

Secondly, a LT. Diehl is a Pro Bowl caliber player in my eyes, but at Guard, not Tackle. Jake Long or Sam Baker would be a perfect acquisition. Or even someone like Gosder Cherlous or Ryan Clady. I like Clemson's Barry Richardson too in the early 2nd.

Thirdly, DT. I like Robbins, but he and Cofield aren't anyone that will blow you away. Frank Okam at Texas comes to mind, or if we can somehow get our hands on Glenn Dorsey, that would be great.

a compliment RB to Jacobs. Ward was solid last night, but the Cowboys run defense isn't that great. Not too mention he got a bulk of those yards on one carry. A quick change-of-pace guy, like Michael Turner from San Diego, or if we look to the draft, someone like James Davis or Yvenson Bernard(Round 2 or 3).

Paul

New York Giants
          New York Yankees
          New York Knicks (unfortunately)
          UConn Basketball
          Virginia Tech Football
          UConn Football

Comment

Diehl is good enough at OT. We can't afford an early pick there.

We need an OLB who can cover, fast CBs, and a hard hitting safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

"Can't afford an early pick there"

As in LT?

One of the reasons this team hasn't been able to get over the hump is that mentality right there.
              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

I'd rather build up our D, not even kidding I would not be upset if every FA and draft pick is a defensive player next year

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post

We don't need a hard hitting safety. We need a safety that can cover. Safeties that are big hitters in the NFL are for the most part, overrated. Over the course of a 16-game season, how many actual big hits do they get. 5? A safety that can cover some ground is much more valuable to a team than a safety that can lay the wood.

Paul

New York Giants
                  New York Yankees
                  New York Knicks (unfortunately)
                  UConn Basketball
                  Virginia Tech Football
                  UConn Football

Comment

Originally posted by Damix View Post
                    I'd rather build up our D, not even kidding I would not be upset if every FA and draft pick is a defensive player next year
                    6 of our last 8 day one picks have been on defense
                    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

I guess it also depends who our coach is next year. We might be instilling a run heavy offense, so we draft a RB or we might be pass heavy and then need to focus much more on our defense because I think besides o-line and RB, we are fine on offense. =D

Comment

Guys Im keeping my eye on, and positions Im keeping my eye on. This is my power rankings so far. This is very preliminary.

Left Tackle

1. Sam Baker: Great footwork, great pass protector, does an excellent job getting to the 2nd level on run plays, he's quick, and he fits our offensive system perfectly.

2. Jake Long: Big strong run blocker. Can work on his footwork and pass protection. He has inconsistent play. Shows flashes of dominance. Im still not sure if he's more suited for RT, I need to see more. When he's on, he's ON. And he's dominant. But his inconsistency scares me a little. And what scared me a little was, for a guy so strong, Ive seen him get thrown to the floor once in awhile. Whats up with that?

3. Ryan Clady: Great measureables. Long arms. Has potential to be better than Long and Baker. From what I see, I like his run blocking, but I need to see more of him to determine his pass protection.

Safeties

1. Kenny Phillips: duh

2. Darien Williams: Need to see more, but he seems solid. This safety class outside of Phillips isn't as elite as last years. I gotta see more.

Cornerbacks

Haven't done any scouting on them yet.

OLBs

1. Keith Rivers - Fast, great in coverage, flies to the ball. Solid run stuffer. A little small but has a good frame to him. A speedy type of coverage LB that suits our needs.

2. Phillip Wheeler: Another Rivers type. Not as good, but he seems to play a little faster. Provides essentially the same type of player that Rivers gives us, just not as good.

3. Dan Conner: Paul Poz part 2. Plays with great instincts. Poor man's AJ Hawk. Great character and leadership. All the intangibles. Usually I rank guys like this #1, but we need athleticism in the worst way, so Im dropping him to #3 unless he shows equal measureables to the other 2 at the combine.

DTs

1. Glenn Dorsey: Warren Sapp part 2.

2. Cedric Ellis: Similar strengths to Dorsey, but doesn't play as strong. But also another great penetrator

3. BJ Raji: Possible NT? Ive seen very little on him, but we need more bulk inside, so I'll keep a closer eye on him.

Thats it so far, right now this is very preliminary, but thats what i see so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          Guys Im keeping my eye on, and positions Im keeping my eye on. This is my power rankings so far. This is very preliminary.

Left Tackle

1. Sam Baker: Great footwork, great pass protector, does an excellent job getting to the 2nd level on run plays, he's quick, and he fits our offensive system perfectly.

2. Jake Long: Big strong run blocker. Can work on his footwork and pass protection. He has inconsistent play. Shows flashes of dominance. Im still not sure if he's more suited for RT, I need to see more. When he's on, he's ON. And he's dominant. But his inconsistency scares me a little. And what scared me a little was, for a guy so strong, Ive seen him get thrown to the floor once in awhile. Whats up with that?

3. Ryan Clady: Great measureables. Long arms. Has potential to be better than Long and Baker. From what I see, I like his run blocking, but I need to see more of him to determine his pass protection.

Safeties

1. Kenny Phillips: duh

2. Darien Williams: Need to see more, but he seems solid. This safety class outside of Phillips isn't as elite as last years. I gotta see more.

Cornerbacks

Haven't done any scouting on them yet.

OLBs

1. Keith Rivers - Fast, great in coverage, flies to the ball. Solid run stuffer. A little small but has a good frame to him. A speedy type of coverage LB that suits our needs.

2. Phillip Wheeler: Another Rivers type. Not as good, but he seems to play a little faster. Provides essentially the same type of player that Rivers gives us, just not as good.

3. Dan Conner: Paul Poz part 2. Plays with great instincts. Poor man's AJ Hawk. Great character and leadership. All the intangibles. Usually I rank guys like this #1, but we need athleticism in the worst way, so Im dropping him to #3 unless he shows equal measureables to the other 2 at the combine.

DTs

1. Glenn Dorsey: Warren Sapp part 2.

2. Cedric Ellis: Similar strengths to Dorsey, but doesn't play as strong. But also another great penetrator

3. BJ Raji: Possible NT? Ive seen very little on him, but we need more bulk inside, so I'll keep a closer eye on him.

Thats it so far, right now this is very preliminary, but thats what i see so far.
                          So is that all the order of positions of need? If not, then I would put these for positions of need through the draft:

1. OLB (I would prefer to solve this in the draft)
                          2. CB (A lot of CB draft busts come about by drafting a CB)
                          3. S (A stud Safety would be nice)
                          4. LT (Diehl is nothing more than a temporary solution)
                          5. DT (We've needed one for years and Jay Alford is not the answer)

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                            So is that all the order of positions of need? If not, then I would put these for positions of need through the draft:

1. OLB (I would prefer to solve this in the draft)
                            2. CB (A lot of CB draft busts come about by drafting a CB)
                            3. S (A stud Safety would be nice)
                            4. LT (Diehl is nothing more than a temporary solution)
                            5. DT (We've needed one for years and Jay Alford is not the answer)
                            No, I didn't order them.

Me personally, I still want an LT first. They don't fall out of trees. This is a great year to get em, we'll have a high pick to get one, so let's get one. This franchise has gone entirely too long without a franchise LT. Who was the last one we had? Did we ever have one?

If I were to order em according to my personal interest, it would be:

1. LT
                            2. Safety
                            3. OLB
                            4. CB
                            5. DT

But, of course, you can't look at it that way. Depends on who's on the board, and the talent available at each position. I don't want us to force the need and pass up on a more talented player at another position of need.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              No, I didn't order them.

Me personally, I still want an LT first. They don't fall out of trees. This is a great year to get em, we'll have a high pick to get one, so let's get one. This franchise has gone entirely too long without a franchise LT. Who was the last one we had? Did we ever have one?

If I were to order em according to my personal interest, it would be:

1. LT
                              2. Safety
                              3. OLB
                              4. CB
                              5. DT

But, of course, you can't look at it that way. Depends on who's on the board, and the talent available at each position. I don't want us to force the need and pass up on a more talented player at another position of need.
                              I say if Baker, Long, Phillips are all off the board and we are in the 6-10 range and don't watch to reach, I would be more than willing to trade down. Teams like Atlanta, Jacksonville, Minny, Tampa Bay will definitely be looking for a QB and teams like Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, and Kansas City might be looking for QBs. There will be a lot of first round trades this year and I hope we are apart of one of them if value doesn't suit us.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information