No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh, Ballin..I honestly prefer 'smaller', quicker, penetrating defensive tackles for a variety of reasons. I think they're more likely to stay healthy than the 330+ pound 3-4 style nose tackles of the world. I also feel that a guy who gets into the back field and penetrates is just as disruptive in the run as the bigger DT's are.

If McCoy or Suh ever fell out of the top 5 (which I put the likelihood at almost zero) I'd be for trading away a lot of picks to go up and grab either of them. I prefer Suh and think he will be a stud, but McCoy is probably more the style of defensive tackle we prefer and is equally awesome in his own right.

I'm also really high on Marvin Austin out of UNC as I mentioned in the other thread.
    (shameless self-promotion)
    Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
      We're better than Carolina and Washington, minnesota likely won't have anything to play for, Dallas and Philly are divisional games and I think we split those two. I could see us winning 4 of our last 5 to finish the year 10-6 fairly easily.
      Carolina can run the ball, even when the other team knows they'll probably run it 75% of the time, Washington just almost beat a good Philly team that made us look silly. I agree though we will win one of our divisonal games. Minnesota might be fighting for the #1 seed.

Not to be such a sour puss but we need the draft pick, we are losing our physical mentality, its demoralizing.

The draft is the only way for us, FA's just dont work for us, at least the way we're looking for them. michael huff, if he's a FA, needs to get a flier on our team. He's still young, he has the talent, he fits our defense, and can make plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
        Carolina can run the ball, even when the other team knows they'll probably run it 75% of the time, Washington just almost beat a good Philly team that made us look silly. I agree though we will win one of our divisonal games. Minnesota might be fighting for the #1 seed.

Not to be such a sour puss but we need the draft pick, we are losing our physical mentality, its demoralizing.

The draft is the only way for us, FA's just dont work for us, at least the way we're looking for them. michael huff, if he's a FA, needs to get a flier on our team. He's still young, he has the talent, he fits our defense, and can make plays.
        Carolina starts Jake Delhomme and has a defense we can beat. Washington is washington, we're healthier now than when we wiped the floor with them early in the season. I like the saints heading down this stretch run a lot more than the vikings and that's not counting the game in hand for the saints so I wouldn't surprised at all if they had second locked up with no chance for the top spot.

As for the draft pick getting a higher draft pick won't effect our team unless we are in position to grab Suh or McCoy and we won't trade up that far. We just need to keep re-stocking the lines while adding a SS. Canty gives us precisely one good DT, add one or two in the draft and a healthy jay alford and run D would be far less pathetic. Add a young C to battle O'hara for the starting spot while Beatty steps in sliding Diehl inside and our OL is leet again. This team isn't far from being a superbowl team, we just need to keep filling out this team.
        Last edited by Rosebud; 12-06-2009, 03:58 AM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• This year more than any other year I want the giants to trade down. There's so much talent at our top 2 needs that we can really gain some value. If we end up getting one of the last playoff spots and trade down into the last 4 picks we should be able to swap our 4th for a second and then grab our SS as well as two stud DTs. If we could finagle Major Wright/Reshad Jones/Nate Allen, Dan Williams and Vince Oghobaase I'd be ecstatic. Our run D would become a strength and we'd never have to have a massive hole in our secondary again.

Offensively the effective of Beatty taking over LT can not be understated as that lets Diehl slide inside to LG leaving O'hara as our only lineman who struggles to get a good push, making our running game more beastly while also giving eli more time. So offensively all we need is a third or fourth round C to have battle Seubert and Koets for the backup C job or maybe even a guard if we want to transition Snee to C long term.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

• Just Curious What you guys think about

Marvin Austin from N. Carolina. If we don't trade up and realistically look at who might be available when we pick, I like this 6'3, 305 pound DT and with Cofield and Robbins both on their last contract year, no guarantee we sign either of them back so that would leave us with just Bernard and Canty at Tackles and Canty was hurt most of the year and hasn't proved he is a real tackle yet. Just looking for some feedback.

Go Ggggmen - kick the Shegirls *SSES.

Comment

• Ive heard good things about Austin. I haven't scouted him personally, but I heard he fits the mold of the type of DTs we like to go after.

NC has some slept on talent. I think a couple of guys on that team are going to be good finds.

Comment

• I think Aaron Rouse is going to negate the need for a safety this offseason. He fits our scheme well and would play awesome next to Phillips.
                Originally posted by Paul
                Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                  I think Aaron Rouse is going to negate the need for a safety this offseason. He fits our scheme well and would play awesome next to Phillips.
                  I was thinking about this myself. But I'm hesitant of giving him the stamp of approval just yet bc afterall, he was so erratic in GB, I don't know if we want to put all our eggs in his basket.

He's looked GREAT for us though. Fits like a glove. He's our Chris Horton, whom Ive said forever is just what we need at SS.

Whats your thoughts on Goff so far? Youve always been spot on with your evaluation of LBs, and I'm curious to hear your opinion on him. I came away impressed, and I'm hoping he can improve with more playing time.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Ive heard good things about Austin. I haven't scouted him personally, but I heard he fits the mold of the type of DTs we like to go after.

NC has some slept on talent. I think a couple of guys on that team are going to be good finds.
                    I'm very wary of Austin, he's underachieved for a long time despite incredible potential and DT is not a position where we've been able to get under-achievers to maximize their talent. I just fear that he could be another Willie Joseph which is why I like Brian Price, Vince Oghobaase and Dan Williams a lot more.

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                    I think Aaron Rouse is going to negate the need for a safety this offseason. He fits our scheme well and would play awesome next to Phillips.
                    He has impressed me, but let's not jump the gun, if he keeps playing well he might push SS down the list of needs, but we'd still need some quality depth and if he isn't able to keep his level of play up through the end of the season we'd need a starter. Again he's impressed, but there's still a ways to go before SS stops being a top need.

BK

Comment

• I'm not saying at all that we look past SS in the draft, but it is not the pressing need that many made it out to be. We can survive with Rouse-Phillips-Johnson and a rookie. Every year I make my own real-time draft picks when the Giants are on the clock (without the luxury of waiting to see who falls and who doesn't) just to compare how I would do against Reese. Two of my picks this past year were Rashad Johnson (Alabama drafted by ARI) and Victor 'Macho' Harris (Va Tech drafted by PHI). Harris would be the best safety on our team right now and Johnson impressed me in preseason. Just saying...would be nice to have one of those guys let alone both right now.

BBD in re:Goff...My DVR got messed up so I don't have a tape of the game, just the memory of watching in real time. He played well, certainly well enough to keep the starting job. The thing that stood out the most was the physicality in taking on blocks. He really delivered a blow to some strong blockers and we are used to Pierce playing soft in that department. Goff plays hard, plays strong, plays aggressive. That can make up for a lot. I want to see him play better in coverage though, as I think he may be even worse than AP and we simply can't have that. Doesn't seem comfortable when dropping into his zone, looks a little hesitant and unsure but I guess that is expected. But he isn't a natural mover when he is going backward and that is going to be exploited this week and against the teams we will need to beat in January if we make the playoffs.
                      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

I'm not saying at all that we look past SS in the draft, but it is not the pressing need that many made it out to be. We can survive with Rouse-Phillips-Johnson and a rookie. Every year I make my own real-time draft picks when the Giants are on the clock (without the luxury of waiting to see who falls and who doesn't) just to compare how I would do against Reese. Two of my picks this past year were Rashad Johnson (Alabama drafted by ARI) and Victor 'Macho' Harris (Va Tech drafted by PHI). Harris would be the best safety on our team right now and Johnson impressed me in preseason. Just saying...would be nice to have one of those guys let alone both right now.

BBD in re:Goff...My DVR got messed up so I don't have a tape of the game, just the memory of watching in real time. He played well, certainly well enough to keep the starting job. The thing that stood out the most was the physicality in taking on blocks. He really delivered a blow to some strong blockers and we are used to Pierce playing soft in that department. Goff plays hard, plays strong, plays aggressive. That can make up for a lot. I want to see him play better in coverage though, as I think he may be even worse than AP and we simply can't have that. Doesn't seem comfortable when dropping into his zone, looks a little hesitant and unsure but I guess that is expected. But he isn't a natural mover when he is going backward and that is going to be exploited this week and against the teams we will need to beat in January if we make the playoffs.
                        gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.

BK

Comment

gotcha, I still think that if Rouse doesn't keep playing phenominally through the end of the year that it would be worth adding another stud at the safety position, partially as cover for Kenny and also because we've seen how two great safeties can open up your defense for you.

I liked Johnson a lot in last years draft, Macho not so much, he seemed like a pure cover-2 corner to me, but Johnson is a guy who had a great sense for the ball and instincts that really impressed me.
                          Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.
                          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Harris has been playing a great safety this year. He completely locked up Tony Gonzalez this past week, very versatile DB that tackles well.
                            So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.

BK

Comment

So what are your thought on this safety class? I'm a major wright fan and think both Reshad Jones and Nate Allen could be high caliber starters. Not so sure on the rest of the class.
                              I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.
                              Last edited by Scott Wright; 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM.
                              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• So I take it neither of you guys are high on Taylor Mays?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information