The Official G-Men 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
    I'll be watching a lot of game tapes I haven't seen yet this season. Off the top of my head Allen is the only first round caliber safety in this class (excluding the underclassmen that have yet to declare). But even he brings concerns to the table that would be exploited in our defense. I think the best route to take will be to wait until round 3 or 4 when it comes to safety.
    ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2
    Last edited by Scott Wright; 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM.
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
      ew, absolutely not. Allen is awful. Not worthy of until our 2nd rounder. He's so unbelievably over-hyped it's absurd. Every time I watched him he's getting toasted. Mays is the top guy, and Jones is a guy with nice potential but I'm not sure he's deserving of our 1st rounder. I think we grab a DT round 1 and I LOVE Matt Tennant, center from BC in round 2
      Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.
      (shameless self-promotion)
      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Tennant would be a great idea and we all now Coughlin loves his BC guys. I never watch Nate Allen enough while watching USF to make a judgement. I know he didn't do much when we played them but could have just been a bad game.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
          Lol, it's not like that's Rutgers bias or anything. Allen is good whether you want to admitt it or not. I wouldn't really want him in the first unless we're picking late but he's not awful by any means.

I'm on board with Tennant in the second round too. I've liked him for a while so it'd be great to get a replacement for O'Hara in here. He's also big enough to play guard too if he had to.
          no...well partially, but not really. I've seen Allen a lot and just haven't been impressed with him at all. I'll admit when Big East rivals are good, but I just wasn't impressed by Allen. Didn't help Tommy Savage shredded him and his secondary apart :)
          but idk, I just wasn't overally impressed
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Center is definitely high on my wish list. I want us to address Center in the 2nd round if possible.

we'll see how our needs shake up coming into the draft. i wouldn't mind nabbing a FA safety just in case KP's career is over. That way, we'd go into the 1st 2 rounds with DT, C, and MIKE (potentially) being our round 1-2 needs.

Makes the board a little clearer for us.

Comment

• I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches
              We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                I'm telling you guys, I LOVE Tennant. Grab a Vance or Dan Williams in round 1, grab us a nice future young DT and Tennant round 2. that'd be ideal. Build through the trenches
                id love for our 1st 2 rounds to be Dan Williams then Tennant.

it wouldn't be sexy in April, but it would be sexy in December.

Comment

• Something tells me a lot of people have that idea about Tennant though and he won't stick around in the second round very long.

I think if Mays fell to the Giants it would make a lot of sense. I'm assuming Phillips will be healthy next year, but if he isn't you can slide him to free safety to cover some ground, and if Phillips is healthy you can move him to strong safety to lay the wood and stop the run. Ideally I think Mays is more of a strong safety and Phillips is more of a ball hawking free safety as we all well and know.

Aaron Ross working out at free safety would give us a ton of flexibility too in theory. He really helped seal up the game with that excellent tackle in space on Marion Barber on 4th and 2. I liked what I saw from him during the game.

Comment

• Yeah, Mays is a guy you have to keep your eyes on. He could fall in this draft. And if he does, you have to give him a serious look.

Also good point on Tennant. ESPN had an article not too long ago about how drafting Centers is starting to become a bigger priority amongst teams and Centers are starting to get drafted higher than ever.

Just last year we saw, what, 3 centers go in the 1st 2 rounds? Theres no guarantee that Tennant sticks around. It makes sense too if you think about it. You get great quality and value by drafting Center early in a key position on your team.

Its a great safe, and smart pick to make as a team.

Comment

• Then, what would you guys think about grabbing Tennant round 1? perhaps we go on a run and get a nice low pick (we all hope 32 obviously). Would you guys be fine with that? I think I would.
                      We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• Mays is interesting. I knew from the very first time I saw him play that he was going to be overrated by the average NFL Draft fan. Just like I knew that about Maualuga and Michael Johnson last year.

Mays can be a good player in this league but he has weaknesses that can and will be exploited unless he is around some really good DBs. As a first round pick, he is certainly a reach because he can't do a lot for a secondary. But once you starting talking about him as a bottom-half 2nd round pick into the 3rd, the value would be right on.
                        Originally posted by Paul
                        Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                        Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                        These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                        MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            Turns out Maualuga wasn't overrated though. He did drop in the draft but he shouldn't have.
                            I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.
                            Originally posted by Paul
                            Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                            Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                            These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                            MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

• Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                              I disagree. He is playing well...but he is playing as good as a 2nd rounder should play.

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are guys that are playing like 1st rounders, again like where they were drafted.

Remember that, at this time last year, you wouldn't find a mock draft anywhere that had Maualuga after #10 overall.
                              I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                                I know that but if he was picked in the 1st round nobody would be complaining that he's been a bust up to this point. If we had taken him instead of Nicks I'd think we'd all be pretty happy just based on his play.
                                I'd be pissed if we took Maualuga over Nicks. I'd have been woefully upset if we'd done it on draft day and even more upset now that we've seen Nicks play. Much harder to find wide receivers who have elite potential like Nicks does as opposed to linebackers who do.

I suppose you could also say it's also easy to find a pretty good middle linebacker who's more than adequate (perhaps not elite ala Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis) as opposed to finding a wide receiver who drastically changes what defenses do and can break games open. Middle linebackers usually can't change the course of the game by themselves, where there are wide receivers can.

I'm not saying Nicks will ever get to that level but there's no denying he has the potential to do just that.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information