The Official G-Men 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    I know hindsight is 20/20, but I'm kind of upset with our Travis Beckum selection last year.

I like the player, but I just see no spot for him on our offense. What is he gonna do? He's not big enough to replace Boss as a full time TE, he's not big enough to be a FB, and he's not good enough to replace one of our big 3 WRs.

And even in redzone situations, I rather have Barden out there over him.

So where does he fit? I feel like he may have been a wasted draft pick.

I feel the same way. There were better TE on the board when we picked, IMHO. Nelson and Ingram were still on the board when Reese took Beckum. It appears that they wanted him to play teh H-back role, but they never really put plays in for it. I think Beckum can turn into a poor man's Chris Cooley, or Dallas Clark, but he needs the OC to add that into the game plan. It was only his first year so I hope he improves and the OC adds some plays in for him, aside for the lame H-Back screen.

Comment

• Earl Thomas just declared for the NFL draft which excites me as a Giants fan. I think we're kind of in no mans land in terms of where we're drafting for the needs we have right now (DT, MLB, S primarily) but if Thomas is on the board at our pick I'd absolutely love to bring him in.

He's more a pure free safety, and probably isn't big enough to play strong safety but I would love to have him. I think the idea Kenny can't play strong safety and still be a pro bowl type player are overblown too. We honestly don't really know.

I think an Earl Thomas/Kenny Phillips safety tandem would be electric. Both guys have fantastic range and would cover a lot of ground for us in addition to being ball hawks.

Right now pre-senior bowl, pre-combine my number one guy who I want in the first is Earl Thomas.
      (shameless self-promotion)
      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
        Earl Thomas just declared for the NFL draft which excites me as a Giants fan. I think we're kind of in no mans land in terms of where we're drafting for the needs we have right now (DT, MLB, S primarily) but if Thomas is on the board at our pick I'd absolutely love to bring him in.

He's more a pure free safety, and probably isn't big enough to play strong safety but I would love to have him. I think the idea Kenny can't play strong safety and still be a pro bowl type player are overblown too. We honestly don't really know.

I think an Earl Thomas/Kenny Phillips safety tandem would be electric. Both guys have fantastic range and would cover a lot of ground for us in addition to being ball hawks.

Right now pre-senior bowl, pre-combine my number one guy who I want in the first is Earl Thomas.
        id put his value at 20-25, i dont think id be bad if we picked him at 15 but i think we can manage to trade down and still get him. A risk, but a risk that saves value.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
          id put his value at 20-25, i dont think id be bad if we picked him at 15 but i think we can manage to trade down and still get him. A risk, but a risk that saves value.
          I don't think so personally. I think he'll be a top 15 pick and if we can get at 16 I'd be extremely excited.

Comment

I don't think so personally. I think he'll be a top 15 pick and if we can get at 16 I'd be extremely excited.
            we pick at 15 im pretty sure

Comment

we pick at 15 im pretty sure
              Oh haha, I thought we were 16 for whatever reason. Either way, he'll probably be the best value on the board and if you listen to a lot of other people who pick after us they all want Thomas and I can't blame them.

Unless someone big falls on the board like CJ Spiller or Rolando McClain (we'd still have to trade up, even if he did fall a bit) then I'm pushing for Thomas. I don't see a DT where we pick that'd be worth it, and trading down is always a difficult thing to do, not to mention EVERYONE wants to trade down on draft day making it that much harder.

Comment

Oh haha, I thought we were 16 for whatever reason. Either way, he'll probably be the best value on the board and if you listen to a lot of other people who pick after us they all want Thomas and I can't blame them.

Unless someone big falls on the board like CJ Spiller or Rolando McClain (we'd still have to trade up, even if he did fall a bit) then I'm pushing for Thomas. I don't see a DT where we pick that'd be worth it, and trading down is always a difficult thing to do, not to mention EVERYONE wants to trade down on draft day making it that much harder.
                very true, i do agree i wouldn't trade up in this draft, there is alot of talent all over the place especially with all the underclassmen, but if we do trade down like 5 picks with someone with very high value we could net a 2nd or 3rd which would be a great difference for us.

How you see the DT's is how im starting to feel, almost all the DT's in this draft seem to be missing a big part of their game, and possibly be called "one dimensional". That is a huge negative and why i dont want a DT in the first anymore.

What really would be best for us is to part ways with jacobs, he is a great person, he just is too injury prone with his size and running style, and waits too much on holes that wont always come. Andre Brown tore his ACL so we don't know whats happening there.

Apparently from another thread in the Pro Football section Jacobs is worth a mid to late 2nd, but he's really more like a 3rd but lets say early 3rd. And then most likely we will have an opportunity to trade down, and i trust in Jerry, we probably net a 2nd to trade down 5 or so spaces with a team that is desperate.

so...

1. (around 20-25) Earl Thomas S Texas
                Smallish frame, lacks height and weight is average, incredible instincts and has a great closing burst with very good angles. Very high upside, but might be hard to matchup against taller recievers and especially TE's.

2. (most likely have to trade up, spend a 4th) Brandon Spikes ILB Florida
                Competitve, nasty, plays with fiery emotion, may be more athletic than most think, was part of a complex defense, could be a great MLB for us (maybe even a SAM if we trust in Goff).

2.(around 20-25) Dan Williams NT Tennessee
                Gained a great deal of value this year after being thought as a mid-late rounder, although he can rush the passer, he has very limited technique and is more one dimensional towards the run than you may like. We NEED a run stuffer who can take on multiple blockers, with Spikes and Williams our run defense in the middle could be solidified.

3.(early-ish) Ryan Matthews RB Fresno state.
                Tough runner, makes something out of nothing and often, athletic, seems to have a good overall game.

3. Ciron Black RT LSU
                We could go Tennant here, but there must be a reason why we moved Koets to center and I believe Black could take over the RT position while McKenzie routinely does average.

5. Walter Thurmond III DB Oregon
                With Byrd's emergence, it gives belief that Thurmond can be a playmaker much like his previous teammate. I don't believe Ross will disappoint, i think he reemerges as a great corner and allows a rotation, Thurmond could be a good nickel-dime corner and now we have 5 good corners (web, thomas, ross, johnson, thurmond) and versatility.

6. Rashawn Jackson FB Virginia
                i love me some hedgecock, but he is very one dimensional and hardly a threat whatsoever, Jackson is a very versatile player at the FB position and can give us more than 3 yards on those FB out plays.

7. Jeremy Boone P Penn State
                Feagles gave us many years of great punting, but he just can't get any distance it seems and he'll probably retire anyway

Comment

• After watching McClain play against Texas, I don't know if its a guarantee that the guy is a top 10 pick.

Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE the guy, but he's not as fast as I think he's being estimated as. He runs like a 4.75 to me, maybe even a 4.8.

He's not a 4.6 guy. And if he runs a 4.75, that could make him fall to us at 15. One can only hope.

Also, I don't think theres much of a difference physically between Spikes and McClain. Both grade out similarly to me on the field. The advantage McClain has to me is his leadership ability and his ability to line guys up. He does that better than Spikes. But on the field play, you can make a strong argument that Spikes is just as nice.

McClain is clearly bigger and stronger, so what I mean by that is on the field, both play in the same mold and I see similar production from the 2.

Comment

• I agree^^^ but feel Rolando is more athletically gifted as well.

With all the underclassmen talent coming in, we need to trade this pick down, even if it is McClain, because we can get a ridiculous amount of value out of it. This draft is going to be one of the best in a while despite the weak QB class.

If we trade down with McClain on the line, we're talking future 1st rounder and a mid round pick, thats big. And now would also be the time to get rid of Jacobs or Osi, who seem to be declining on their careers, because of all the talent it pushes other first round prospects into later rounds.

McClain falls to us, hypothetically because another player who is highly regarded is bound to fall as well, Everyone knows we need a MLB, and if hes there people should have to give extra value because we can just take him and look like geniuses.

Trade the rights to pick #15 for a 20-25 pick for a future 1st, and a 3rd. Previous to the draft we trade away one of our declining players, Jacobs nets us an early third/late 2nd. Osi nets us a 1st, 3rd/4th.

Trading Osi:

1a.(and future)
                    1b.
                    3a.
                    3b.

Trade Jacobs

1. (and future)
                    2a.
                    2b.

Not saying its going to happen because it 95% wont, but If we trade Jacobs or Osi it might really help us. It provides extra picks (that are pretty high) that the DC we hire can use to fit his system, and for our OC (if we get one)

Comment

• My top 5 big board at this point:
                      1. Rolando McClain
                      2. Earl Thomas
                      3. Greg Hardy
                      4. Taylor Mays
                      5. Brandon Spikes(if we trade down, would be a reach if we don't)

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Originally posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
                        My top 5 big board at this point:
                        1. Rolando McClain
                        2. Earl Thomas
                        3. Greg Hardy
                        4. Taylor Mays
                        5. Brandon Spikes(if we trade down, would be a reach if we don't)
                        Hardy would be a reach too where we're picking. Depending on how things break he could easily last until in the second round. Maybe not to our pick, but after his poor senior season I could see him going in the second round.

Comment

• Hardy is a 2nd round guy at this point, unless his combine boosts his stock to a late 1st.

If you think about it, there are no "need" guys who fit at 15 for us. We either have to reach for a guy in a need, move up or move down, or take BPA at 15 regardless of position.

The only guy I can see that fits at 15 that is somewhat of a need is Anthony Davis. We can throw him at LT and move Beatty to RT. Or vice versa, although id prefer Davis at LT.

Or Earl Thomas. But his size scares me. I love Thomas, but he's a pure FS, and need more of a guy who can play SS. Bc Kenny is our FS, and if he can't play anymore, Johnson can be a decent FS, but we need a SS to compliment either of them desperately. We have no SS on our roster. If we do, they suck pretty bad. Unless you want to roll the dice on Rouse, who didn't look entirely bad, but didn't set the world on fire either.

I personally want to be done with Johnson altogether and bench him too, but that is only if Kenny recovers from his injury, and quite frankly, we don't know if he ever will. So we still have to give Johnson some life.

Do we want to gamble with Taylor Mays? Part of me is ok with it, but part of me isn't. He reminds me of Reggie Nelson too much, and while I was high on Nelson, Mays has the same red flags he did and Nelson has been a bust in the NFL.

Id like 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. Move into the top 10 and get McClain
                          2. Move back to the late 20s, nab Dan Williams, then take our 2nd and whatever picks we got from moving back and move back into the early 2nd and nab Brandon Spikes

Comment

• Just thinking about it now, McClain just makes so much sense.

Let's be real, our team was decimated by injuries. Our defense is NOT that bad. And of course our coordinator was a big problem as well.

Our secondary is fine, we just need a reliable SS. That can be had in round 2 and up. Or get Dawan Landry in FA. Or Atogwe. Boom, done. Our DEs are fine. They were all injured this year. Our OLBs are fine. Sintim will be solid at SAM, Boley is fine at WILL. Our CBs are beyond fine, I'll put our collective CB trio up against any in the league.

But what are we missing from defense?

We need a MIKE, have needed one for awhile now. We need leadership. We need run stuffers. We need a smart guy who can line guys up.

Sounds like we need Rolando McClain. He'll give us the smarts we need, the run stuffing presence in the middle we desperately need, and eventually the leadership we need. He'll finally give us a presence at LB.

Now obviously, McClain still needs some DTs in front of him. But thats ok, theres plenty of other rounds in the draft to nab one.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Just thinking about it now, McClain just makes so much sense.

Let's be real, our team was decimated by injuries. Our defense is NOT that bad. And of course our coordinator was a big problem as well.

Our secondary is fine, we just need a reliable SS. That can be had in round 2 and up. Or get Dawan Landry in FA. Or Atogwe. Boom, done. Our DEs are fine. They were all injured this year. Our OLBs are fine. Sintim will be solid at SAM, Boley is fine at WILL. Our CBs are beyond fine, I'll put our collective CB trio up against any in the league.

But what are we missing from defense?

We need a MIKE, have needed one for awhile now. We need leadership. We need run stuffers. We need a smart guy who can line guys up.

Sounds like we need Rolando McClain. He'll give us the smarts we need, the run stuffing presence in the middle we desperately need, and eventually the leadership we need. He'll finally give us a presence at LB.

Now obviously, McClain still needs some DTs in front of him. But thats ok, theres plenty of other rounds in the draft to nab one.
                              Antoine Bethea and Dawan Landry are the only safeties i like in FA for us, and i agree Earl Thomas is small, but he has a great deal of potential and great instincts.

I might take Spikes over McClain just off of how we could possibly get him in the second, and McClain would cost as more money and value.

Comment

Antoine Bethea and Dawan Landry are the only safeties i like in FA for us, and i agree Earl Thomas is small, but he has a great deal of potential and great instincts.

I might take Spikes over McClain just off of how we could possibly get him in the second, and McClain would cost as more money and value.
                                I really really really like Spikes. This is going to be a tough draft to gauge. We can do so many different things.

I think Spikes is going to be nasty too. And if we ever run Spags scheme again (doubt it), he'd be just as good as McClain in it. He's a great blitzer and downhill run stuffer.

Spikes would be pretty nasty for us.

Id be ecstatic with either one.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information