Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I would have been much happier with Morgan, Spoon, or even Williams.
    #Chop


    sig by BoneKrusher

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
      Mario Williams was not a developmental pick. That GM and scouting staff did one hell of a job in ignoring that Reggie Bush hype, and examining the player for his potential, production, and what he can bring to the team. In fact I never was a fan of Bush. I wanted the Texans to pick Williams. The guy is a freak who had great potential and production. It was an excellent pick. You don't pick a developmental player first overall.

      And yes JPP is way more raw than MW. The guy was a JUCO player, and played 1 season in the a major college program, but in a ok conference, the Big East. He has sick potential, and is a true Boom or Bust pick in the sense of the word. When we were on the clock, Mayock had Clausen, and then JPP as the BPA. The Giants had JPP as the 6th best player, and so for them it was an easy pick. While I am not a fan of this pick, like I said I respect Ross for making this pick and sticking to the board. I just don't think you draft developmental players this early. But there is something about him, and he doesn't have start from day 1 so that's good. So until then, I will be patient and see who this all plays out.
      Look I loved Mario and if you go back in the archives I was one of the ones defending the Texans decision, that said he was not very productive, in fact he didn't even become a top 5 lock until the offseason because of how inconsistent and disappointing his play was on a stacked DL. Kid was an insane freak and was a good kid, but despite good numbers, he got most of his production against vastly inferior competition. So when he was picked he wasn't picked for the player he was but the player he would become which is how I define a developmental prospect, I know all players that make it improve and adjust at the NFL level, but Mario was a guy drafted much more based off of what he could become.

      Look, I too am loathe to draft players as raw as JPP but he's a good kid, he has a very high motor and seems like he cares about becoming a top tier player which IMO are the most important intangibles for a project player because it ensures that he'll try and put the work in. He may never put his tools together completely and become the dominant perennial probowler he's capable of becoming, but I feel very confident that since we're going to be patient with him he'll at least become a quality starting DE. Considering he'll spend much of his career opposite Tuck even if he's just a quality starter he'll get to make plays and be a solid pick. It'll take some time, but I really feel good about our chances of him not busting, of course that's assuming he doesn't have his knees destroyed or some other freak incident to derail his career.

      BK

      Originally posted by AcheTen
      JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
      Originally posted by abaddon41_80
      Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
      Originally posted by JBCX
      Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        I would have been much happier with Morgan, Spoon, or even Williams.
        Why would we draft Morgan when we could just re-sign Kiwi if all we wanted was a solid but unspectacular starter? Spoon I get although being a former DL I don't value LBs nearly as much as I do Lineman. Dan Williams would have been my choice although I do like Linval Joseph a lot as well. If not DW I would've tried really hard to trade down a little for Pouncey.

        BK

        Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
          Look I loved Mario and if you go back in the archives I was one of the ones defending the Texans decision, that said he was not very productive, in fact he didn't even become a top 5 lock until the offseason because of how inconsistent and disappointing his play was on a stacked DL. Kid was an insane freak and was a good kid, but despite good numbers, he got most of his production against vastly inferior competition. So when he was picked he wasn't picked for the player he was but the player he would become which is how I define a developmental prospect, I know all players that make it improve and adjust at the NFL level, but Mario was a guy drafted much more based off of what he could become.

          Look, I too am loathe to draft players as raw as JPP but he's a good kid, he has a very high motor and seems like he cares about becoming a top tier player which IMO are the most important intangibles for a project player because it ensures that he'll try and put the work in. He may never put his tools together completely and become the dominant perennial probowler he's capable of becoming, but I feel very confident that since we're going to be patient with him he'll at least become a quality starting DE. Considering he'll spend much of his career opposite Tuck even if he's just a quality starter he'll get to make plays and be a solid pick. It'll take some time, but I really feel good about our chances of him not busting, of course that's assuming he doesn't have his knees destroyed or some other freak incident to derail his career.

          Mario Williams was MUCH more of a sure thing than JPP though. In my opinion it's not accurate comparing the two players. One is the first overall pick, who might have played not good competition, while the other played basically 1 year of major football and got 6.5 sacks. It seems the biggest hype out of this kid is his ability to do back flips. Granted he has other good qualities that translates into potential, but Mario Williams was a stud. Great physical attributes, and let's put it this way, he was that good that he got picked over Bush who had production, competition, and hype. So Williams had a lot of things going for him. Maybe not as much as Bush, but few people, including myself saw Bush was a back who probably won't do so well as a starting back in the NFL, while Williams physical size and abilities could translate to a every down DE.

          I think JPP has tons of potential, and the good thing is we don't have to start him already. We can ease him in, which is fine I guess, but for a mid first round pick, I wanted someone with experience, production, and some one who could possibly start from day 1. JPP basically is a true investment for down the road with Kiwi or Osi probably leaving next year. I see him as the DE of the future. But like I said before, I do respect the fact we stuck to the draft board. At least that makes me happy.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Morton View Post
            Why didn't Reese get Weatherspoon at #15 if McClain was the main target, MLB was the biggest need, and McClain was already gone?

            Sure JPP has nice upside but wouldn't Weatherspoon be the much better fit as MLB in Fewell's Tampa-2?
            Spoon would make a solid Tampa 2 MIKE, but would be a horrible fit if we ran our aggressive 46 style defense.

            With us passing on Spoon, getting Joseph, and drafting another DE to play SAM, all indications seem to be us not running the tampa 2.

            Supposedly some of our scouts felt he was strictly a WILL in our scheme, so we didn't have a need for him.

            I love Spoon, but if we are in fact running Spag's scheme, he would be a horrible fit.

            Originally posted by Malaka View Post
            He is pretty athletic and produced in college, but he's like another Clint Sintim type... I don't understand the pick, unless rumors are true about Sintim to MLB... but that would more or less throw all Cover 2 talk out of the window.
            He's depth at SAM. We have no depth at SAM, DeOssie sucks. This guy will be a STer who can potentially develop into Sintim's backup. Sintim is our SAM. Like you said, its more indication that we won't run a Tampa 2.

            Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
            I hate this pick with a passion! You don't draft A Developmental pick with the 15th pick. However, Ross gave an explaination that we had ranked JPP 6th overall. And he fell to us, so it was an easy choice accordingly to him. So... with that said, I am willing to be patient to see how this works, even though I am very mad, and skeptical of this pick. At least I respect that they stuck to their draft board. Let's see how good Ross is. So far Nicks and KP were good picks, so I trust Ross still.
            Every draft pick is a developmental guy. Some more than others. We almost always redshirt our rookies anyway, so I don't see the problem with it. The guy will come in on 3rd downs and provide depth in our pass rush (which was dismal last year) and a long term replacement for Kiwi. I love the pick.

            Originally posted by LetsGoGiants! View Post
            We need a 2011 thread. Anyone wanna start it up?
            I'll get on that today.

            Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            Sounds like you guys are way down on your draft. You know your team better than I do. I don't think it was anywhere near your awesome draft last year, but I think you should give this a chance. I dunno if you trust Osi ever coming back or what (I don't). I thought the JPP pick definitely filled a need. Tuck is always hurt and isn't Kiwi a FA after the year? Reminds me of the time you drafted Tuck when you already had Strahan and Osi.

            It's not like there were any ILBs worth drafting at that spot. Out of curiosity... WHO is the guy you wanted your team to draft at that spot?
            I don't think this draft is as good as last years. Last year's draft gave us 3 immediate quality starters in Nicks, Sintim, and Beatty. And potentially high quality depth players who can turn into solid starters in Brown, Barden, and possibly Beckum.

            This year's draft is more about projected talent. I can see JPP and Joseph being staples on our dline for years to come, and Chad Jones being a solid contributor in time, but its much more difficult projecting this draft bc we took a bunch of projects.

            Realistically, I can see JPP and Joseph being the only major contributors. However, we do have some interesting projects I want to keep an eye on. Petrus interests me. He's a project lineman, but has the measurables to be solid in a year or 2. He needs to strengthen his lower body, and work on technique since he's a project player, but I'm hoping we can turn this guy into O'Hara's replacement with a year of training.

            I don't want to sound too homerish (probably too late) but Tracy intrigues me a lot. I like this pick. He may be our new Chase Blackburn, a guy who can just be a solid reliable backup who provides quality snaps for our team.

            Overall I like our draft, just not as much as last year's. I do think this is a draft that will require much more patience, bc we drafted pretty much a project player in every round, so we can't throw this class to the wolves after 1 year. I think this class will look bad after 1 year, but 3 years from now, could potentially be amazing, maybe even our best class yet.

            It could also be our worst class yet. It all depends on how these guys develop. Quite honestly, I'm glad Reese took some risks in this draft. We need more athleticism throughout our team, particularly on defense, and he went out and drafted athletes.

            I'm giving our draft a C+ for now, but it could change easily to an A or an F depending on how these guys develop.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
              Why would we draft Morgan when we could just re-sign Kiwi if all we wanted was a solid but unspectacular starter? Spoon I get although being a former DL I don't value LBs nearly as much as I do Lineman. Dan Williams would have been my choice although I do like Linval Joseph a lot as well. If not DW I would've tried really hard to trade down a little for Pouncey.
              Kiwi is going to get more money than Morgan. Also we know what we have in Kiwi while Morgan has the chance to be a better player. I like the Joseph pick a lot also but say we took Dan Williams in Round 1 then maybe we could have picked up Daryl Washington in Round 2.
              #Chop


              sig by BoneKrusher

              Comment


              • Every draft pick is a developmental guy. Some more than others. We almost always redshirt our rookies anyway, so I don't see the problem with it. The guy will come in on 3rd downs and provide depth in our pass rush (which was dismal last year) and a long term replacement for Kiwi. I love the pick.
                Yeah, but it meant it in the "some more than others" kind of way. Clearly every player has to be developed. No prospect is perfect, and so it's up to the coaching staff, and system to help mold and coach up that prospect and help fulfill that potential which was scouted by the scouts.

                Yeah I understand how he will be used and how he can be developed slowly with no rush. But still he hasn't played enough football, and I just think with the 15th overall pick, you want someone more proven i guess. It would seem the potential, along with the physical ability is what allowed us to risk this pick. But like I said, we had him graded as the 6th best player, so I trust Ross. Now let's see how JPP does. So far I haven't been upset with Ross and his first round picks of KP, and Nicks.

                Comment


                • It's Reese not Ross.
                  #Chop


                  sig by BoneKrusher

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    It's Reese not Ross.
                    Ross.. as in Marc Ross

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                      Ross.. as in Marc Ross
                      Oh ok. Well I know he's our director of scouting but these are still Reese picks so he desverves the credit or blame.
                      #Chop


                      sig by BoneKrusher

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                        Oh ok. Well I know he's our director of scouting but these are still Reese picks so he desverves the credit or blame.
                        They are everyones picks. Reese is just the general manager, however it's the scouts and Ross that create the big board, let by Ross. It's not like Reese sits in a throne room next to the Mara's and closes his eyes, and says he wants this player, and so his wish is done.

                        This whole thing is a process started with the scouts, and then Ross is the guy who runs, and creates the draft board based on the whole college's seasons prospect's reports.

                        Reese gets the props and the blame, which I think is too broad. I tend to go after the Director of Personnel.


                        G. Young - Tom Boisture
                        EA - Marv Sutherland
                        EA - Jerry Reese

                        2007- Jerry Reese - Jerry Reese
                        Jerry Reese - Marc Ross

                        EA, Fasshole and Sutherland pretty much stunk when it came to drafting. Then EA towards the end of his career started to do well.. Was it EA? Did the wig on EA's head start giving him powers? No, I would say the change of the HC, from Fasshole to Coughlin, and a change from Sutherland to Reese allowed us to draft better and better. Now the Ball is in Ross's court.

                        Comment


                        • That's fair then if thats how you like to evaluate things. Accorsi's drafts did get much better when Reese came into position as director of scouting.
                          #Chop


                          sig by BoneKrusher

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            That's fair then if thats how you like to evaluate things. Accorsi's drafts did get much better when Reese came into position as director of scouting.
                            Yeah I always see the GM as a guy in the GENERAL manager type capacity. He looks over everything but the it's the specific guys I give props or blame too. Like fans give props to Reese for a good contract, while I credit the capologist and contract guy Kevin Abrams. Ross, gets the blame or props, for the draft. Reese plays a part too, but it's more of the Director of Personnel now. Reese had his spot in the Sun under Accorsi AND in 07, where he was the GM AND did his former job, since we didn't hire anyone. Now we see how good Ross can be.

                            Same with Sutherland.. Sutherland was the guy behind Dayne, Williams, Luke, Tim Carter, Jeff Hatch, and Shockey... In my view Shockey was his jem.

                            Boisture has been with us since the early 80s.. So he gets props for LT, and all those guys in that era.

                            Reese gets props for Osi, and Wilson, and all those guys.

                            Now it's a new chapter. 3rd draft for Ross, so only time can tell how he does. He did get interviewed by Seattle if I am not mistaken couple years ago. So people within the circle must know he has skills.

                            Comment


                            • I actually think it was this offseason where Seattle tried to get Ross.
                              #Chop


                              sig by BoneKrusher

                              Comment


                              • Yeah, i was very scared that we were going to lose Ross. I love Ross, and I hope we keep him for a very long time.

                                It's only a matter of time before he becomes someone else's Jerry Reese though. He's going to be a stud GM for somebody.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information