2007 Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Draft

Thought I'd make thread dedicated to the draft other than just our big boards.

Want to start it off with a thought regarding our LB situation.

This would be a risky move but after watching some tape on the likes of Blackburn and Wilkinson, I've come to the conclusion that neither of them would make a good SAM. Both have potential at WILL but I am starting to think we should go after a SAM in the draft. Most of the top tier LBs in this draft are better fit for the MLB and WLB spots, but not many fit the mold of what we need at SLB. I am considering a wildcard pick here that could bring in huge rewards or really set us back yet another year, but I am leaning towards taking this risk. The prospect.....3rd round Brian Robison from Texas.

He entered Texas as a LB and converted to DE where he was arguably the best defensive player in their front 7 the past 2 years. He is always all over the place making plays with his freakish athleticism and strength. It would be more of one year project pick in the sense that me likely could not play three downs at SAM until 2008 but at worst, he could be another situational pass rusher and top tier special teams player. He brings the fiesty, hunry attitiude we are looking to bring in and I can really see him doing well as a SAM.
    Originally posted by Paul
    Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
    Originally posted by Vikes99ej
    These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Interesting to say the least. Wilkinson would probably make a better WLB i agree, but Blackburn is best fit at MLB. Blackburn has the instincts, but does not have the athleticism to cover a great TE. I think we should move Kiwanuka to SLB. He showed his athleticism as a rookie. Let him play in space, instead to being hogg tied by a big Offensive lineman. He could become a playmaker at SLB. Wilkinson could play WLB, but he's nothing special at this point. I think we should take Timmons in the 1st round (maybe trade down a bit). Timmons has the playmaking ability that teams look for in a WLB. I must say I am intruiged with Robison as a SLB, but I highly doubt he can come in and make the transistion from DE to SLB and start his rookie year.

Comment

Robison would be a good 3rd or 4th round pick, no doubt. But we need a linebacker who can step in IMMEDIATELY, which he would not be able to do. I would still consider taking him in the mid rounds though

Timmons wouldnt be able to step right in either imo. That is why I think our pick is definitly going to be Paul Poz, and that would make me extremely happy.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
        Robison would be a good 3rd or 4th round pick, no doubt. But we need a linebacker who can step in IMMEDIATELY, which he would not be able to do. I would still consider taking him in the mid rounds though

Timmons wouldnt be able to step right in either imo. That is why I think our pick is definitly going to be Paul Poz, and that would make me extremely happy.
        I wonder if we could go Poz in the 1st and Robison on the 3rd. Take BA DB in round 2 which could likely be Meriweather, Weddle, Ross (maybe), Wright, Wilson, McCauley.....
        MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

Poz played MLB in college didn't he? I think he'd have to make a transistion to OLB, which would take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
            I wonder if we could go Poz in the 1st and Robison on the 3rd. Take BA DB in round 2 which could likely be Meriweather, Weddle, Ross (maybe), Wright, Wilson, McCauley.....
            Two LBs in 3 rounds wouldn't make much sense. We do have Wilkinson, Torbor, Blackburn, and Kiwanuka. We should add one more 1st day rookie and let them all battle it out in training camp. It should be fun to see who emerges.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky bobby View Post
              Two LBs in 3 rounds wouldn't make much sense. We do have Wilkinson, Torbor, Blackburn, and Kiwanuka. We should add one more 1st day rookie and let them all battle it out in training camp. It should be fun to see who emerges.
              Agreed Ricky bobby....

Is there any chance Robison can last til the 4th round?

Brandon Short is still around right? He can be part of the mix too. I thought he played very well before his injury last year.

Comment

Poz played MLB in college didn't he? I think he'd have to make a transistion to OLB, which would take some time.

Poz played OLB his freshman, sophomore, and junior season. He played MLB in senior season, the transition would be seamless.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

It would make tons of sense but it would be risky. We dropped our 3 top OLBs, we need more than Reggie Torbor competing for the SAM spot.
                  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

poz played the inside only for his sr campaign.

Comment

he was a SAM in college, but played MIKE a few games as well in his senior year.

He should be a OLB in my opinion.

As for drafting Robison and Poz, I wouldnt be opposed.

Robison wouldnt start for at least a couple years. Wilkinson and Blackburn could split time if both impress. It would give us some depth which we need after the injurys the last 2 years. But I doubt both of them show enough to be a quality starter anyways.

Im not really impressed with Torbor enough to give him any kind of starting job either.

So I think its a solid idea, especially if it happens in the 4th for Robison

Comment

I like Prescott Burgess in the middle rounds, kind of under achieved in college, but I have a feeling he could fit into our system well.

Comment

I feel we will add a WR in the first 2 rounds now, I'm not a big fan of it, but Gilbride's past shows he uses a lot of spread looks.

Comment

damix, i agree on burgess, i love his speed as an LB
                            We ALL bleed scarlet
                            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                              Thought I'd make thread dedicated to the draft other than just our big boards.

Want to start it off with a thought regarding our LB situation.

This would be a risky move but after watching some tape on the likes of Blackburn and Wilkinson, I've come to the conclusion that neither of them would make a good SAM. Both have potential at WILL but I am starting to think we should go after a SAM in the draft. Most of the top tier LBs in this draft are better fit for the MLB and WLB spots, but not many fit the mold of what we need at SLB. I am considering a wildcard pick here that could bring in huge rewards or really set us back yet another year, but I am leaning towards taking this risk. The prospect.....3rd round Brian Robison from Texas.

He entered Texas as a LB and converted to DE where he was arguably the best defensive player in their front 7 the past 2 years. He is always all over the place making plays with his freakish athleticism and strength. It would be more of one year project pick in the sense that me likely could not play three downs at SAM until 2008 but at worst, he could be another situational pass rusher and top tier special teams player. He brings the fiesty, hunry attitiude we are looking to bring in and I can really see him doing well as a SAM.
                              Very, very interesting idea. I have to admitt, I too was quite impressed with this guy at the Combine. Was one of the guys who really showed up there. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a project when we need instant relief at the LB posistion. If we could get him in the fourth I wouldn't mind it, with say, Posluszny being taken in the first. Would allow us to take care of some other needs in the second and third. I can't say I would like two potential OLB in the first in third.

However, if we do decide to convert Kiwi to SAM linebacker (I'm not a huge fan of the idea, but I can live with it), then Robinson with the third rounder might work out. Him and Tuck could compete for the starting posistion at defensive end in a year or two when Strahan retires.

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                              damix, i agree on burgess, i love his speed as an LB
                              I'd have to see what he'd run at his Pro Day. I know Combine 40's are inaccurate, but he ran in the 4.8's twice I believe. I loved to watch the guy, but I'm not sure he has a real passion for the game. Which I know me and many others do not like in a player. Correct me if I'm wrong though, just the feeling I got.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information