The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
    You can always replace role players with other role players. But you can't replace stars with a bunch of good role players and think it's equal. Look at the Celtics. When they got Garnett and Allen, they basically gave away their whole team to get em.

A few days old BBD but I just wanted to comment, as seen by Boston and the Heat (this year) those veteran role players will flock to these star studded teams as well.

And they will play for the minimum for one last chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damix View Post
      A few days old BBD but I just wanted to comment, as seen by Boston and the Heat (this year) those veteran role players will flock to these star studded teams as well.

And they will play for the minimum for one last chance.
      That's why I'm not going to lose any sleep if we give up more role players than we'd like for Melo.

Seriously. Who cares. We're gonna miss out on Melo bc we like Gallo and Fields? Come on.

Of course, it's been stated plenty of times that we just need to stay firm and play cool and we'll probably get him for cheap, but if we lose out on him completely bc we were firm about keeping Gallo and Fields I will be very disappointed.

Comment

• Eh, the only real valuable piece that got traded in that Boston deal was Al Jefferson, and even he has some major flaws as a player.

The rest were all pretty much all scrubs/cap relief and not really comparable to the Knicks trading away Fields/Gallo/Chandler.
        (shameless self-promotion)
        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
          Eh, the only real valuable piece that got traded in that Boston deal was Al Jefferson, and even he has some major flaws as a player.

The rest were all pretty much all scrubs/cap relief and not really comparable to the Knicks trading away Fields/Gallo/Chandler.
          Yeah, the next best player they traded where the pick that netted Jeff Green and Gerald Green, that's like us giving up AR and Bill Walker on top of Wilson Chandler (AlJeff) for both Allen and Garnett.

Plus on the ring chasers point there's more superteams now than when Boston came together. We'll be competing with Boston, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, LAL and OKC for those ring chasers.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
          Originally posted by JBCX
          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• I think we're overrating our own players. I love Landry Fields, every team needs a Landry Fields, but he's in all likelihood going to be nothing more than a very good role player.

Gallo is a solid #3 option. Good player, never will be a great one. Again, it's not the end of the world if you lose a guy like that in a package for a great player.

Role players are role players. They're easy to replace.

Having that said, I'm feeling confident we get a trade done after the all star break, and I think Donnie is going to get a good deal done. I don't think we lose all our pieces for Melo.

We may give up 1 extra piece just to get it done, but let's say that piece is Fields for example, do any of us really care if we lose him along with Chandler plus the cap relief and Randolph to get Melo?

Bc I sure as hell don't. And I love Fields too. He's probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Stat.

Comment

I think we're overrating our own players. I love Landry Fields, every team needs a Landry Fields, but he's in all likelihood going to be nothing more than a very good role player.

Gallo is a solid #3 option. Good player, never will be a great one. Again, it's not the end of the world if you lose a guy like that in a package for a great player.

Having that said, I'm feeling confident we get a trade done after the all star break, and I think Donnie is going to get a good deal done. I don't think we lose all our pieces for Melo.

We may give up 1 extra piece just to get it done, but let's say that piece is Fields for example, do any of us really care if we lose him along with Chandler plus the cap relief and Randolph to get Melo?

Bc I sure as hell don't. And I love Fields too. He's probably my 2nd favorite player on the team behind Stat.
              I think Gallo can be a great #3 option. The way he shoots at the FT line, his ability to pass off the dribble, and his outside shooting ability is the perfect compliment to two really good players.

Supposedly the Nuggets want a TON for Melo. Gallo, Felton, Fields, and possibly Chandler too for Melo and Billups. I don't care what Melo brings to the table. He's not worth giving up all our young pieces. If the Nuggets are going to be pricks and demand the house I say we take our chances in the off-season. If it doesn't work out lets go hard after CP3 or Deron Williams instead.
              (shameless self-promotion)
              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• There's no way they get all of that. This is a classic case of posturing on both sides. We're lowballing the hell out of them, they're demanding a king's ransom, and realistically, something in the middle gets agreed upon.

Probably skewed more towards our offer than their demands.

I'm intrigued by the thought of getting Billups and Melo if we put Felton in part of the package.

What's your thoughts on that? I don't know how I feel about it. Billups is pretty good, but he's getting old.

He's Mr. Big Shot though, which will be huge in the playoffs when teams crash Stat and Melo in crunch time.

Comment

• Here's a thought. What if we throw in Felton and Gallo in the trade, to get back Melo, Billups, and Nene?

Then our lineup would be:

C: Nene
                  PF: Stat
                  SF: Melo
                  SG: Fields
                  PG: Billups

Thoughts? Our 3 scoring threats would revolve around Melo, Stat and Billups. Nene and Fields would be the role players who do the dirty work.

They get Chandler, Gallo, cap relief, we'll throw in Mozgov for shits and giggles.

Comment

Here's a thought. What if we throw in Felton and Gallo in the trade, to get back Melo, Billups, and Nene?

Then our lineup would be:

C: Nene
                    PF: Stat
                    SF: Melo
                    SG: Fields
                    PG: Billups

Thoughts? Our 3 scoring threats would revolve around Melo, Stat and Billups. Nene and Fields would be the role players who do the dirty work.

They get Chandler, Gallo, cap relief, we'll throw in Mozgov for shits and giggles.
                    I doubt they are going to trade Melo and Nene let alone trade them both in the same deal.

Comment

• Yeah, wishful thinking on my part.

Comment

I think we're overrating our own players. I love Landry Fields, every team needs a Landry Fields, but he's in all likelihood going to be nothing more than a very good role player.

Problem is if we give up too much we won't have enough assets to replace our young players. If Fields becomes Doug Christie 2.0 and Gallo becomes a super tall Manu Ginobli, which I think both players are more than capable of doing, those are perfect compliments that would be hard to replace, especially with no assets left. Plus we'd only need to give up Chandler and AR if we wait til the summer and not Chandler, AR, Felton-for-Billups and those two. It's poor asset management, poor negotiating and it's a really poor way to build a contender because we'd be stuck hoping for Paul or Deron to come join Amar'e n Melo and also that those 3 would be enough to beat Miami, Boston or LA.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        There's no way they get all of that. This is a classic case of posturing on both sides. We're lowballing the hell out of them, they're demanding a king's ransom, and realistically, something in the middle gets agreed upon.

Probably skewed more towards our offer than their demands.

I'm intrigued by the thought of getting Billups and Melo if we put Felton in part of the package.

What's your thoughts on that? I don't know how I feel about it. Billups is pretty good, but he's getting old.

He's Mr. Big Shot though, which will be huge in the playoffs when teams crash Stat and Melo in crunch time.
                        Billups is just too old, we'd need to limit his minutes and it would basically mean going all in on Paul or Deron with no prospects left to trade, aka hopes n dreams.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

• So it seems like the only team that could come up with an offer is Dallas who won't be giving up much more than Boubeais, an expiring and picks which isn't really better than Chandler, picks and a TPE for EC's contract.

I'm thinking worst comes to worst we give up AR, WC, EC and Felts to get Melo and Billups provided Dolan doesn't get involved and **** things up.

BK

Comment

• Not only that, but I also can't imagine them trading Melo to a team in the West. It just makes no sense for them.

We have all the leverage. Hopefully Donnie does his thing and Dolan stays away. At this point I'll be shocked if we don't get Melo.

Comment

• Hahn says the Felton-for-Billups won't be a dealbreaker.

In other words, if this deal happens, I'd expect Felton to be dealt. I wouldn't have a problem with that because:

a) Billups is still a good veteran player
                              b) Once Melo joins STAT, CP3 is only a matter of time - PG won't be an issue in 2K12. I'd rather let an old Billups walk or re-sign as a a back-up than just push away Felton after two years of pouring his heart and soul into it for us.

Today's Hahn article also indicates that D'Antoni isn't thrilled about a roster shakeup at this point (not surprising). I'm also getting the sense that he simply doesn't want to give up Gallo (personal ties). If he gets in the way of this deal (which is essentially for Melo AND CP3 as far as I'm concerned) because of an affinity for a mediocre player I'll never forgive him.

Other things to consider:

+Melo is reportedly distancing himself from his team right now, which is the equivalent of demanding a trade (forcing the Nuggets hand, probably) without actually coming out and saying it. Great for us.

+The report that he might consider signing an extension was more him telling the Knicks "get me now! I can't wait!" rather than him actually considering it.

-New Jersey could change their stance but I'd find it hard to believe that Prokorov would make himself look like a fool in that regard after his first big press conference and message to his team and the rest of the league.

+By all accounts, Dallas is the only other team that could enter the bidding but they reportedly deem Roddy Buckets untouchable. Great for us because he may be the player with the most upside that any team could offer for Melo.

-Wilson Chandler may need surgery in the offseason and he's a restricted free agent. The Nuggets know if they value him or not. We assume they do but we don't know.

I think something along the lines of Rosebud's deal gets done but not before this things takes a million twists and turns until next Thursday.
                              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• I'm almost certain at this point a deal gets done. Now it's a matter of how much we're giving away for him.

Either way, I'm excited. We need another star player on this team. We won't go anywhere with just Stat and good role players. We played that game with Ewing in the early/mid 90s and ruined his prime with shortcomings in the playoffs bc of it.

I don't want us to do that again.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information