The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
    I have a lot of respect for you BBD but that's a pretty foolish reason to want a deal to go down.

And I don't think I'd be very happy giving up all that for Melo. Melo has become so overrated these days it's not even funny.
    Why? What are we losing other than depth?

C: Mozgov/Turiaf
    F: Stat
    F: Melo
    G: Billups
    G: Fields

From our starting lineup, we actually improve. I've said all season I don't care much for depth if it means we improve the starting 5. Felton is better than Billups, no doubt, but Billups isn't a scrub. Plus Melo is infinitely better than Gallo.

Plus Billups contract expires in 2012. So what's the problem? We keep Fields, We still have Mozgov which is good, bc we can use him and Turiaf in a rotation at Center while keepng Stat healthy in the PF position, we won't have that small lineup with Gallo at PF which realistically, is a terrible lineup bc it's just way too small.

I don't see what the problem is. We're losing role players for a star player. It's a no brainer to me.

You'll look back at this trade in 2 years and thank the basketball gods that it went down (if it goes down).

Comment

• Think of it this way guys, we were losing Chandler anyway. We were going to lose those expiring contracts anyway. We were never going to use Randolph anyway.

So this trade is Carmelo and Billups for Gallo + Felton plus guys who we'd lose anyway. Who WOULDN'T make that trade? You'd be criminally insane to think that the combo of Gallo and Felton is more valuable than Melo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
        I'm pretty sure Melo wants nothing to do with the Nets. He doesn't like the idea that the Nuggets supposedly want to rebuild, so I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't want to be on the Nets for the same reason.

He wants to come to the Knicks because A) We're in his home town and B) We're not rebuilding, we're trying to put together a great team for a big championship run.
        IMO the only we he ok's a trade to NJ is if all he cares about is getting that extension signed before the CBA talks. In which case him n Amar'e will never win a ring alone, so he's not worth giving away all of our assets for.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Guys, Melo doesn't give a damn about the team.

He wants his money, and he wants to live in the tristate area. That's all he cares about. The team is the icing on the cake.

If push comes to shove, he'll sign with the Nets.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            Why? What are we losing other than depth?

C: Mozgov/Turiaf
            F: Stat
            F: Melo
            G: Billups
            G: Fields

From our starting lineup, we actually improve. I've said all season I don't care much for depth if it means we improve the starting 5. Felton is better than Billups, no doubt, but Billups isn't a scrub. Plus Melo is infinitely better than Gallo.

Plus Billups contract expires in 2012. So what's the problem? We keep Fields, We still have Mozgov which is good, bc we can use him and Turiaf in a rotation at Center while keepng Stat healthy in the PF position, we won't have that small lineup with Gallo at PF which realistically, is a terrible lineup bc it's just way too small.

I don't see what the problem is. We're losing role players for a star player. It's a no brainer to me.

You'll look back at this trade in 2 years and thank the basketball gods that it went down (if it goes down).

Because we'd be putting all of our eggs into the Chris-Paul-being-willing-to-take-a-more-than-7-mil-per-year-pay-cut basket...aka we'd be giving away any hope of winning a ring any time in Amar'e career.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

Guys, Melo doesn't give a damn about the team.

He wants his money, and he wants to live in the tristate area. That's all he cares about. The team is the icing on the cake.

If push comes to shove, he'll sign with the Nets.

Exaclty, **** him, I want a ring not to watch Melo n Amar'e get paid to loss to Miami and Boston.

BK

Comment

• I think Melo wants to win.

I think he prioritizes money first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team. It's easy for us to say take $40 million and be happy but when you have an opportunity at 20 more it's not a crime to want to take it...

Two questions:
                1) What team is giving us a 1 for Anthony Randolph? LOL
                2) Why don't we give them 2 #1s (the one we get from Randolph and our own)? Maybe we can keep Wil or Gallo then.

Here's our rotation:

PG: Chauncey Billups, Toney Douglas
                SG: Landry Fields, Douglas
                SF: Carmelo Anthony, Shawne Williams, Bill Walker
                PF: Amare Stoudamire, Anthony
                C: Timofey Mozgov, Ronny Turiaf, Shelden Williams

Obviously, this trade puts more pressure (and gives more opportunity) to Williams, Douglas, and Walker.

I'm down.
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                  I think Melo wants to win.

I think he prioritizes money first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the team. It's easy for us to say take $40 million and be happy but when you have an opportunity at 20 more it's not a crime to want to take it...

Two questions:
                  2) Why don't we give them 2 #1s (the one we get from Randolph and our own)? Maybe we can keep Wil or Gallo then.

Here's our rotation:

Obviously, this trade puts more pressure (and gives more opportunity) to Williams, Douglas, and Walker.

I'm down.
                  Melo hurt our leverage by trying to not be hated like Lebron. He is trying to have it look like he didn't screw the Nuggets over which is hurting us and with Dolan rumored to be running things now it is hurting our leverage even more.

1) Minnesota and Portland have both been rumored to want Randolph for a 1st

2) We don't have a 1st of our own to trade that we are able to trade until 2014 cause of the T-Mac trade.

3) Chandler isn't worth the contract he is going to get in FA this year since he is in line for a pay rise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    Exaclty, **** him, I want a ring not to watch Melo n Amar'e get paid to loss to Miami and Boston.
                    Who says we can't win a ring with Melo and Stat? We don't HAVE to get CP3 to build around these 2. They're more than capable of pulling it off if we get good players around them.

This is a significant upgrade to the talent on the team. I just don't understand why you're so against it.

Boston is a year away from retirement, and Miami can be had if we build this team the right way. I guarantee you this, if we pass up on Melo and instead put our eggs in the Gallinari basket, we're not winning ****.

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    Because we'd be putting all of our eggs into the Chris-Paul-being-willing-to-take-a-more-than-7-mil-per-year-pay-cut basket...aka we'd be giving away any hope of winning a ring any time in Amar'e career.
                    No we wouldn't. Why can't Stat and Melo be enough? Why do we HAVE to have that 3rd star? Worse 1,2 combos have went on to win championships.

Can we have a dynasty? No. But we can surely compete for a championship.

Comment

Who says we can't win a ring with Melo and Stat? We don't HAVE to get CP3 to build around these 2. They're more than capable of pulling it off if we get good players around them.

This is a significant upgrade to the talent on the team. I just don't understand why you're so against it.

Boston is a year away from retirement, and Miami can be had if we build this team the right way. I guarantee you this, if we pass up on Melo and instead put our eggs in the Gallinari basket, we're not winning ****.

No we wouldn't. Why can't Stat and Melo be enough? Why do we HAVE to have that 3rd star? Worse 1,2 combos have went on to win championships.

If you don t have a 3rd Star you need a bench and depth which this trade hurts us since we don't have the greatest bench to begin with and won't have many assets to improve it.

Comment

I think Melo wants to win.

Two questions:

Here's our rotation:

I'm down.
                        1. Minny, Kahn supposedly likes AR's potential more than anyone who'll be in the late lottery of this draft.
                        2. I think we'd be cool offering that if they let us keep Gallo, Fields and Mozzie, problem is the first pick of ours we could trade would be our 2014 pick so they'd rather have the player.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Because of LeBron, Wade and Bosh, and that's only for after the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs and Mavs fall apart. We won't beat those teams without a great bench around Amar'e n Melo and we won't have a great bench and support staff if we give up most of our assets in getting Melo. That's a fine duo offensively that plays poor D and doesn't excel at creating for their team-mates, so they'd need a lot of help to beat the teams they'd have to beat to win a ring without the basketball gods doing most of the work by taking out Wade, Paul Pierce and Bynum, as well as significant portions of those teams' benches while smiling on our health, which, being a NY fan you should know better than to expect.
                        Last edited by Rosebud; 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM.

BK

Comment

• Why can't we trade this year's first?
                          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Why can't we trade this year's first?
                            Because we don't have one next year so we can't trade our pick this year or our 2013 pick.

BK

Comment

• Originally posted by LTgiants View Post
                              If you don t have a 3rd Star you need a bench and depth which this trade hurts us since we don't have the greatest bench to begin with and won't have many assets to improve it.
                              Role players are easy to find. I have faith in Mozgov turning into a decent player, I think Fields will elevate his game when he works on his jump shot, hell, maybe we can even sign Felton in 2 years again. Why not? We can afford him.

Then you just fill out your bench with aging guys who are looking for a chance to compete. Boom. Done.

This trade makes us a better team. A much better team. We're the 6th seed right now with our current team. It's not like we're the 2 or 3 seed and we're gutting our roster. We're the 6th seed. The 6th seed!

Comment

Why can't we trade this year's first?
                                Cause of the NBA Rules.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q74

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information