No announcement yet.

The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's impossible to say exactly what I'd do. Bc you can't predict trades and guys who can become available in the future.

I'd eye guys like Dalembert at Center, Felton or Bibby at PG in 2012 if CP3 is impossible.

And just try to get a good player in the draft in 2012. I don't think this trade makes us title contenders this year. I think we need a 2 year plan and this is another step in putting together a lineup that can compete for a title in 2012.

Comment

• Dalembert who is coming of a 12 million dollar contract and Mike Bibby who is a shell of himself sounds really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        Phil Jackson has won more rings than anybody. His solution when going against a team with a great bench has always been simple in the playoffs:

Play your starters the whole game.

And it's worked obviously. Your bench wins in the regular season and keeps your guys fresh for the postseason. Come playoff time, you just need 2 solid bench guys who can rotate in when need be.

If we can keep Mozgov and resign Turiaf to a reasonable contract, that's 1 rotation guy.

Now we just need to get another. That's what the draft is for. Sure, outside the top 5 picks in the draft you usually won't find a great player, but if you draft well, you can fill out your bench in the draft.

We found Fields in the 2nd didn't we?

Even if you feel the bench is a big factor in winning championships, I don't see why you feel it would be so difficult to find replacements to fill out your bench.

Look at Orlando for example. They "improved" their depth with some moves this season right? Well has it led to any change in their win/loss %? No! Bc bench players are bench players.

I've been watching basketball for a long long time. Basketball was my first love growing up. Some things never change. The bench isn't as critical as you think.

Bench players are very replacable. Star players are not. When you get a chance to get a star, go get him.

Ask Patrick Ewing if merely having solid role players around you is enough to get over the hump.

The Knicks have been there, done that.
        Uhhh, okay. Orlando didn't trade for more role players. They traded for Richardson who they thought was good starter, Hedo is ****, and Gilbert Arenas who I personally believed was one of the worst players in the NBA well before the trade. They traded away Vince Carter and their one decent depth player in Gortat as LT said. I thought that trade was horrible when they did it and I still think it's horrible now. Completely different circumstances.

Also I don't understand the Phil Jackson reference. One of the main reasons the Lakers have won titles is because of their bench, mainly Lamar Odom. Phil has had a damn good bench where ever he's gone, in addition to star players.

You also ignored my Spurs reference, who have been one of the best teams of the past decade and have done so with one star player, two really good players, and a great bench.

The reason I wouldn't do this deal is because Melo, for as amazing of a player that he may be, is a one dimensional star. This isn't LeBron James who can score, pass, play defense and grab rebounds. This isn't Tim Duncan who can score, grab rebounds, block shots and play superb D. Melo is a fantastic scorer, maybe the best in the league along with Durant, but he doesn't do much else well. Solid rebounder, poor defender, not a willing passer, etc.

I want Melo, badly, but at the cost of giving up a lot of valuable pieces? No. Let's take our chances in the off-season, keep our pieces for either playing or trading, and go from there.

I also don't know where you're getting the idea that everyone thinks this is an amazing deal for the Knicks. There are plenty of sports writers who aren't in favor of it. Heck, Charles Barkley, who knows basketball, said he sure as hell wouldn't do this deal. I also forgot to mention that I believe Steve Kerr said he didn't like the deal either. Doesn't think Melo and Stat are a great fit to play together, which I kind of agree.
        (shameless self-promotion)
        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• You guys all know more than me. Was this a good move?
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            You guys all know more than me. Was this a good move?
            Not unless they can find a way to build a bench and the CBA lets us steal a Chris Paul( Who probably wont hit fa and we have no assets to trade for him) or Deron Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
              You guys all know more than me. Was this a good move?
              Great move. We got rid of a bunch of role players for a bonafide superstar. Just have to build some depth next summer.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'm ******* pumped to have Melo on board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                  Great move. We got rid of a bunch of role players for a bonafide superstar. Just have to build some depth next summer.
                  You need role players to win championships too. And it's not like the players we gave up were crappy players. Chandler, Gallo, and Mozgof were all very productive and had a lot of upside.

I don't like the trade, personally. That said, I like Melo, I just don't think trading away every valuable asset for a one-dimensional superstar is a great move.

Nuggets had no leverage and they essentially got all of our young, high upside, players who could either be an asset to the team or traded for another valuable commodity in the future. As much as I hate to admit it, this screams Dolan.

It'll be fun to watch Melo and Stat but all I can say is I hope this is right move or we're going to me doomed to another decade of mediocrity.
                  (shameless self-promotion)
                  Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                    You need role players to win championships too. And it's not like the players we gave up were crappy players. Chandler, Gallo, and Mozgof were all very productive and had a lot of upside.
                    Of course but role players are much easier to acquire than superstars. You have a chance to get Melo, you do it. We weren't going to win with the team we had so I don't see how this isn't a good trade.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• ty Forenci at least I know I am not the only one

Comment

• yeah i agree with LT and Forenci for the most part. Felton and Gallonari are no bums, losing those two is like salt in a wound right now. But Coach K screamed Mello's praises when he coached him for the USA team, so we'll see. Mello + Amare is fun to watch, but we need another star. CP3 or bust for me next year.

Comment

• Will Melo and Amare work in a Dantoni system? I feel like they might need more of a half court game with those two.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I don't see how any Knicks fan could be adverse to this trade. I think we are CLEARLY a better team right now...

PG: Billups/Douglas
                            SG: Fields/Brewer/Douglas
                            SF: Anthony/Williams/Walker/Buike
                            PF: Stoudamire/Anthony
                            C: Turiaf/Barron/Stoudamire

We have so many options on the wing - we'll be fine there.

Of course we're lacking a solid backup PG and a third big man. But we were lacking those before this trade also...
                            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• We haven't signed Barron. Formality I know since no one else wants him.

We have no starting center Turiaf cant start he will foul out quick. Stat cant play center the whole game.

We still need a back up point cause Douglas, Anthony Carter and Rautins are not going to cut it.

Oh and are only trade able assets right now are Brewer and Azbuike's insured contracts and oh no trade able draft picks.

So pretty much we gutted the team yet still have the same needs as before. We need a center had one developing but traded him and still no backup point cause Billups cant play Felton minutes.

Comment

• What should we have done then?

Kept our current roster and stayed slightly above .500?

Traded for Shane Battier?

I'm curious to know what you would have rather done?
                                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information