Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • the knicks weren't gonna win this year with or without carmelo. carmelo insisted he wanted to play for the knicks. why couldn't carmelo and the knicks just agree on a under the table deal where he signs with the knicks when he becomes a FA that way leaving the supporting cast relatively intact? was it cap issues?

    Comment


    • Melo risked losing $20 million if we waited.
      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

      - Ko Simpson

      Comment


      • Originally posted by gpngc View Post
        What should we have done then?

        Kept our current roster and stayed slightly above .500?

        Traded for Shane Battier?

        I'm curious to know what you would have rather done?
        Not Bid against myself there was no need to give them as much since Knicks were the only team he was going to sign with.

        So basically Dolan raised the offer cause the Nets punked him . No need to give them all 3 of your trade able draft picks that you could have used in other deals.

        I also wouldn't have swapped Felton for Billups especially when you are giving up Gallo cause that is a downgrade and you are again giving up more then necessary. Doing the PG swap gave Denver Luxury tax savings which would be more then enough for Denver. Lux tax savings Felton as trade asset for them Chandler and the 1st plus 1 of Gallo or Moz not both was more then enough but no.

        Dolan gave them Luxury Tax saving as well as all your assets that he had that is dumb.

        Comment


        • OK.

          So if the Nuggets simply said "if you don't give us all of those pieces, we'll keep him", then you'd be fine to walk away and just keep this team, never get Melo, wait two years, and hope that Gallo develops and hope that CP3 OR Deron still wants to come here even though we probably won't be much better than a 6 seed?
          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

          - Ko Simpson

          Comment


          • No, we should have been smart and waited until the off-season. Sure, you can't predict what will happen with the CBA but you also can't predict it will allow us to add significant talent in the future. Trying to make personnel decisions on what may or may not be relevant is really silly.

            I don't think anyone is trying to say we're better off without Melo, it's just that now we put all our eggs into one basket. I still don't think we're a contender this year, and I'm still not sold on this team going forward.

            Melo and Stat are both one dimensional players. They're going to need a real PG to coexist together. And we're at least a good two years away from that happening.
            (shameless self-promotion)
            Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gpngc View Post
              OK.

              So if the Nuggets simply said "if you don't give us all of those pieces, we'll keep him", then you'd be fine to walk away and just keep this team, never get Melo, wait two years, and hope that Gallo develops and hope that CP3 OR Deron still wants to come here even though we probably won't be much better than a 6 seed?
              The Nuggets could not afford to keep him they knew if they did they would have been Lebron'd or Bosh'd. They were going to trade him they had no leverage to make any demand or threat.

              Dolan got scared and with Isiah in his ear gave up everything when it was not needed.

              Melo wouldn't extended with the Nuggets or the Nets so there was no threat at all of missing out on a trade and most of the CBA threats you hear like that he would lose 40-50 million in FA are exaggerated.

              We are not much better then a 6th seed as of right now. This team is going to have no chemistry for a while and we have no bench.

              Comment


              • So you are upset because we gave up too much.

                I'm trying to tell you that all of the assets you speak of are not a part of the plan. The plan is for Amare and Melo to coax DWill or CP3 to come to NY. That plan is working to perfection for right now and if the third star is achieved in two years no one will care or remember that we gave up too much.

                That's the decision the Knicks FO ultimately came to. They didn't care about Gallo, Chandler, or Mozgov. They managed to keep the ultimate role player in Fields and added a prospect in Brewer and opened up some minutes for guys like Walker, Williams, and Douglas.

                Gallo's contract was for three years - not a part of the plan. Chandler 100% was not going to be re-signed. Plus they both play the same position as Melo. We gave up a 7-foot prospect who could possibly be a decent player. And in return, we got one of the best players in the league.
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

                - Ko Simpson

                Comment


                • Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                  So you are upset because we gave up too much.

                  I'm trying to tell you that all of the assets you speak of are not a part of the plan. The plan is for Amare and Melo to coax DWill or CP3 to come to NY. That plan is working to perfection for right now and if the third star is achieved in two years no one will care or remember that we gave up too much.

                  That's the decision the Knicks FO ultimately came to. They didn't care about Gallo, Chandler, or Mozgov. They managed to keep the ultimate role player in Fields and added a prospect in Brewer and opened up some minutes for guys like Walker, Williams, and Douglas.

                  Gallo's contract was for three years - not a part of the plan. Chandler 100% was not going to be re-signed. Plus they both play the same position as Melo. We gave up a 7-foot prospect who could possibly be a decent player. And in return, we got one of the best players in the league.
                  Yes I am upset we gave up to much and hamstrung ourselves from improving the team. This team right now will not win. I want to be able to root for a team that wins a title and this team as of now cant.

                  How are you going to afford cause you cant give Paul or Williams a max contract.

                  The NBA since they own the Hornets and don't want to contract that team are going to do everything in there power to keep Paul cause if he leaves that franchise is dead.

                  Deron Williams like Paul same thing without him on the Jazz would be royally screwed they are going to do everything to keep him. Hell they just fired the longest tenured coach in the NBA for him.

                  So if we cant afford them unless they are willing to take a good size pay cut AND you have nothing to trade for them HOW DO YOU GET THEM?

                  Brewer sucks he is not good and he probably wont be around for long. Douglas and Williams already had minutes so this move didn't really open up more minutes.

                  Bill Walker is just a chucker. I like him you can even ask Chucky he can tell you. But facts are facts he is just a chucker there are plenty of Bill Walkers.

                  You got one of the best players in the league wooooo but he doesn't help you win anytime soon. Like I said before the goal is to win titles this move doesn't help us right now. This move puts us in win now mode and we dont have a good enough team to win now.

                  You were probably one of those Knick fans who were saying the same thing in 2003? 2004? when we acquired Marbury Oh man we brought him home he is one of the best in the league BLAHH BLAHHH BLAHHH. He didn't help us win much did he?

                  Comment


                  • I has a sad. Oh well, guess I can go back to not caring about Basketball again.

                    BK

                    Originally posted by AcheTen
                    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                    Originally posted by JBCX
                    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

                    Comment


                    • The only thing I'm upset about is giving up the Big Russian, we kept Fields which is good. My question now is who is our starts at C and PG for us now? Randolph and Billups, right?

                      Also, who would you rather have in 2012? Deron, CP3 or Dwight?

                      SPLOOSH

                      Comment


                      • Always been a huge Amare fan, loved Felt but **** I never really had a team anyway.

                        This is awesome. Chauncey, 34, has played in 100+ playoff games I am pretty sure. He will most likely be looked as the leader, he might be a FA next year which sets up well if Deron or CP3 go into free agency. The role players on that team NOW are pretty bad outside of Fields/Toney Douglas, the role players they dished out were pretty good. You will get further with Melo than those guys though which is the overall point.

                        The man is probably ecstatic to be in NY, maybe his game goes up another notch.
                        Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                        Coples is that dude.
                        Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

                        Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

                        Comment


                        • Today is a good day. You guys might be cautiously optimistic now, but I have a feeling you'll love this in the future.

                          Did we give up too much? Yes we did. That's Dolan's fault. If he just let Donnie do his thing we would've nabbed Melo at a cheaper price.

                          But am I ecstatic to get Melo? You bet. Don't worry about those system players we lost. You'll forget about them in a year. They're not that great.

                          Now we're finally legit. And early rumors are it's only a matter of time before we land CP3 or DWill. Let's hope that's true.

                          Comment


                          • Tomorrow night is going to be a blast at the Garden. Anybody going to the game?

                            Sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Today is a good day. You guys might be cautiously optimistic now, but I have a feeling you'll love this in the future.

                              Did we give up too much? Yes we did. That's Dolan's fault. If he just let Donnie do his thing we would've nabbed Melo at a cheaper price.

                              But am I ecstatic to get Melo? You bet. Don't worry about those system players we lost. You'll forget about them in a year. They're not that great.

                              Now we're finally legit. And early rumors are it's only a matter of time before we land CP3 or DWill. Let's hope that's true.
                              Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to have Melo, I just don't like everything we gave up. Is Mozgov replaceable? Absolutely. Is Gallinari? Well there aren't many 6'10, long distance shooters who can shoot 90% from the FT line. Is Chandler? There aren't a lot of 17 point scorers who can block a shot or two a game, either.

                              The problem is you guys think Gallo and Chandler are just roleplayers. They're not the James Posey's, Leon Powe's, or Shannon Brown's of the world. Guys like Gallo and Chandler are guys who can be starters, but if not, they can also fill vital roles like Lamar Odom and Manu Ginobili. They can be great 3rd/4th options for a team and explode for 20+ on any given night. Role players don't do that. Role players give you a solid 10-15 minutes a night, and bring one or two solid skill sets like three point shooting or defense.

                              I'm not saying that we can't find replacements for them down the line, but to think they're just trash and spare parts that can be replaced with a MLE signing or two is downright silly.

                              Now our issue will be Knicks fans thinking we can win it all this year or next, when we're still a long way from that. We need a center, we need a few more bench players (role players), and we need a real PG. I can only pray we're able to somehow lure Deron Williams or Paul to the Knicks in the next couple years.
                              (shameless self-promotion)
                              Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                                Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to have Melo, I just don't like everything we gave up. Is Mozgov replaceable? Absolutely. Is Gallinari? Well there aren't many 6'10, long distance shooters who can shoot 90% from the FT line. Is Chandler? There aren't a lot of 17 point scorers who can block a shot or two a game, either.

                                The problem is you guys think Gallo and Chandler are just roleplayers. They're not the James Posey's, Leon Powe's, or Shannon Brown's of the world. Guys like Gallo and Chandler are guys who can be starters, but if not, they can also fill vital roles like Lamar Odom and Manu Ginobili. They can be great 3rd/4th options for a team and explode for 20+ on any given night. Role players don't do that. Role players give you a solid 10-15 minutes a night, and bring one or two solid skill sets like three point shooting or defense.

                                I'm not saying that we can't find replacements for them down the line, but to think they're just trash and spare parts that can be replaced with a MLE signing or two is downright silly.

                                Now our issue will be Knicks fans thinking we can win it all this year or next, when we're still a long way from that. We need a center, we need a few more bench players (role players), and we need a real PG. I can only pray we're able to somehow lure Deron Williams or Paul to the Knicks in the next couple years.
                                Those guys just weren't in our long term plans. Look at it this way, we were hoping to just sign Melo in the offseason so we can trade these guys for CP3 right?

                                Well now, you just have to hope that CP3 signs outright like we were hoping Melo would. It's the same difference when you think about it. We needed 1 of the 3 to sign outright, now you're just shifting that hope from Melo to CP3.

                                And CP3, Melo, and Stat are all close friends that have discussed this scenario before. I think it's a very realistic possibility that it happens. Not to mention that according to Alan Hahn, the Knicks front office is very close to their agents as well.

                                When you have 2 bonafide scorers like we do now, you don't need a Gallo or Chandler on the bench to give you what they give. You can get by with lesser talent in other areas.

                                Would I like to keep them? Sure. But they were ultimately collateral damage that I'm ok with.

                                This was a long term decision. Stoudemire and Melo are both young still. For all the talk about Stat's knees, he rarely misses any games. The guy is still a 20/8 a night player.

                                We have plenty of time to build around these 2 guys. This was the right decision. Did we give up too much? Yes we did, but it's not the end of the world. The pieces we gave up were never in our long term plans anyway.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information