The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LTgiants View Post
    You would probably have to severely over pay him to bring him back in under to make up dealing after half a season.

Lambieer only got a interview with the Knicks cause of Isiah.

If your goal is to bring in a coach with no NBA head coach experience I would rather bring in Patrick Ewing. Who wants to be a head coach badly as well and he is one of the best big man coaches in the NBA look at how much he helped guys like Yao and Dwight.

It is usually better to bring in a guy with head coach experience in the NBA then grabbing a college coach or a guy who has never coached men. The difference between JVG and Thibs is they were assistant coaches in the NBA for years just like Ewing is now. Unlike Lambieer who has no NBA experience at all.
    That's very true. Great point, I didn't think about that.

Didn't Dwight get exponentially better on offense only after he spent some time training with Hakeem? I think that actually hurts Pat more than anything.

Id love to see Pat coach the Knicks just bc he's our boy, but if I take my heart out of the equation, I'd probably be opposed to it.

It will never happen, but I'd give anything to see Jeff come back and coach the Knicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      That's very true. Great point, I didn't think about that.

Didn't Dwight get exponentially better on offense only after he spent some time training with Hakeem? I think that actually hurts Pat more than anything.

Id love to see Pat coach the Knicks just bc he's our boy, but if I take my heart out of the equation, I'd probably be opposed to it.

It will never happen, but I'd give anything to see Jeff come back and coach the Knicks.
      Not really Patrick helped as much as Hakeem. Watch Dwight from before the Magic hired Ewing in 2007-2008 then watch him after. He made huge improvements. Hakeem helped him this past off season add a little more to his base. However most of the work has been done by Patrick especially on the defense.

Comment

Not really Patrick helped as much as Hakeem. Watch Dwight from before the Magic hired Ewing in 2007-2008 then watch him after. He made huge improvements. Hakeem helped him this past off season add a little more to his base. However most of the work has been done by Patrick especially on the defense.
        I just want a defensive coach :(

Comment

I just want a defensive coach :(
          There are reports out there that D'antoni will hire a defensive assistant. I hope if he does that means Herb Williams is finally gone. How this guy has survived this many coaching regimes is amazing. He is like a **** roach that just wont die.

Comment

There are reports out there that D'antoni will hire a defensive assistant. I hope if he does that means Herb Williams is finally gone. How this guy has survived this many coaching regimes is amazing. He is like a **** roach that just wont die.
            Maybe him and Isiah both have naked pictures of Dolan somewhere that they're using to blackmail him with.

My disdain for D'Antoni isn't just his lack of defense, it's his management of our roster, his style lives and dies with the 3 which is a low percentage shot, his stubbornness with certain players and playing time, his teams typically lack toughness and can't finish in crunch time, etc.

I just don't like him. His teams are soft. I'm not sure a defensive assistant will change that. A team typically takes the personality of it's HC. Not just in basketball, but in any sport.

I just don't like his cream puff style.

Comment

Maybe him and Isiah both have naked pictures of Dolan somewhere that they're using to blackmail him with.

My disdain for D'Antoni isn't just his lack of defense, it's his management of our roster, his style lives and dies with the 3 which is a low percentage shot, his stubbornness with certain players and playing time, his teams typically lack toughness and can't finish in crunch time, etc.

I just don't like him. His teams are soft. I'm not sure a defensive assistant will change that. A team typically takes the personality of it's HC. Not just in basketball, but in any sport.

I just don't like his cream puff style.
              I wouldn't call it a cream puff style. Its a style based on floor spacing and ball movement. Nobody can argue that having floor spacing and ball movement is a bad thing.

My issue with him isn't his offensive philosophy. More with the whole balance of his minutes and his use of only 8 players is the thing that bothers me the most.

I think he should add a defensive coach and have a defensive philosophy other then just a regular man to man street ball type defense. Adding a defensive coach cant hurt it can only help at this point.

How ever I feel if you are a NBA player playing at the highest level you should have a general idea how to play defense and a lot of the players here don't know how to do that. It should not take you this long to figure it out.

I don't think you will see a huge change in defense right away if you fired D'antoni. It doesn't matter who the coach is if you don't have all 5 guys out there wanting to play on that end.

Comment

• Yeah, Stat and Melo are what they are defensively. That won't change with a new coaching staff.

But what can change is the type of players we surround them with. A defensive coach would redo our bench and our supporting cast to focus on guys who play that nasty gritty style to make up for Melo and Stat. We should surround those 2 with defensive minded players, who in a perfect world, can hit a jump shot.

With Melo and Stat, we have enough offensive talent with those 2 alone to get by offensively. Now we need to surround them with those gritty players that will do the dirty work. If Chicago can be good with 1 great offensive player, we should be able to do the same if not more with Stat and Melo if we surround them with defenders.

With D'Antoni as coach, we just won't look for those guys unfortunately. He's more concerned with finding guys who can spread the floor and hit their Js, and if they can D up on top of that, then great. But it's a secondary desire of his, whereas a defensive coach would look for that first and offense second.

It's tough, bc while I hate D'Antoni's style, he's not a terrible coach, and his system does work. But I just don't like it.

I also have the same issues you have with him, with his 8 man rotation etc. That is truly his biggest issue.

Comment

• I agree with pretty much everything you said. However Chicago's offense is just a Derrick Rose iso offense. With 4 guys to compliment him. You cant do that with the Knicks it would be horrible. It probably would cause a clash between Melo and Stat cause some nights one guy would dominate the ball more then the other one.

Comment

Yeah, Stat and Melo are what they are defensively. That won't change with a new coaching staff.

But what can change is the type of players we surround them with. A defensive coach would redo our bench and our supporting cast to focus on guys who play that nasty gritty style to make up for Melo and Stat. We should surround those 2 with defensive minded players, who in a perfect world, can hit a jump shot.

With Melo and Stat, we have enough offensive talent with those 2 alone to get by offensively. Now we need to surround them with those gritty players that will do the dirty work. If Chicago can be good with 1 great offensive player, we should be able to do the same if not more with Stat and Melo if we surround them with defenders.

With D'Antoni as coach, we just won't look for those guys unfortunately. He's more concerned with finding guys who can spread the floor and hit their Js, and if they can D up on top of that, then great. But it's a secondary desire of his, whereas a defensive coach would look for that first and offense second.

It's tough, bc while I hate D'Antoni's style, he's not a terrible coach, and his system does work. But I just don't like it.

I also have the same issues you have with him, with his 8 man rotation etc. That is truly his biggest issue.
                    Because Jared Jeffries, Ronny Turiaf, Iman Shumpert and Raja Bell are such offensive dynamo's? Yeah, mike won't play guys who disrupt our own offense, but all a defender needs to do to satisfy mike is not chuck up stupid shots, not try too do too much and pass the ball to someone who's not offensively useless. He's a smart coach, he knows how he wants to play, and given who our stars are it's not a bad call, but the people who ***** about him not caring about D are stupid, he does, he's just not as adept at coaching it as he is offense. Then again that'll probably change once he wins his first ring because Rick Carlisle's defenses where a joke with Detroit just 7 years ago and now he's getting credit as one of the best coaches in the league.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                    Originally posted by JBCX
                    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• So how exactly do you plan for Mike to get his version of Dwayne Casey?

Comment

So how exactly do you plan for Mike to get his version of Dwayne Casey?
                        Wish I knew enough about NBA coaches to be able to say who we should get to be his defensive assistant.

BK

Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                          Wish I knew enough about NBA coaches to be able to say who we should get to be his defensive assistant.
                          I was just saying since you were talking about D'antoni's reputation rebounding if he wins. I was just trying to say Dwayne Casey had more to do with the Mavs D then Rick and people respecting the Mavs D. Which is why Casey is now coach of the Raptors.

Comment

I was just saying since you were talking about D'antoni's reputation rebounding if he wins. I was just trying to say Dwayne Casey had more to do with the Mavs D then Rick and people respecting the Mavs D. Which is why Casey is now coach of the Raptors.
                            Carlisle's reputation is on a completely different level than it was a few years ago while I have no issue attributing that to Casey's influence it doesn't change what it's done for Carlisle. I think Mike D being open to a defensive assistant and Carlisle's experience provide us with a good example of how a guy who just isn't a good teacher of defense can still do a great job coaching a great defensive team under the right conditions. I believe in Mike and love the way he wants his teams to play, unfortunately he's had a lot of ******** players and ****** defenders. I wish I knew who that missing piece is to be Mike's Casey, but we still need more defenders before then and need to keep building our team. I'm getting excited to see Shumpert's impact since I think him and Dougie could be absolutely brutal attacking opposing back courts on D and having players who'll play good defense is one of the big piece that fell into place for Carlisle.

BK

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                              Carlisle's reputation is on a completely different level than it was a few years ago while I have no issue attributing that to Casey's influence it doesn't change what it's done for Carlisle. I think Mike D being open to a defensive assistant and Carlisle's experience provide us with a good example of how a guy who just isn't a good teacher of defense can still do a great job coaching a great defensive team under the right conditions. I believe in Mike and love the way he wants his teams to play, unfortunately he's had a lot of ******** players and ****** defenders. I wish I knew who that missing piece is to be Mike's Casey, but we still need more defenders before then and need to keep building our team. I'm getting excited to see Shumpert's impact since I think him and Dougie could be absolutely brutal attacking opposing back courts on D and having players who'll play good defense is one of the big piece that fell into place for Carlisle.
                              Ya Carlisle's rep is now better then it was when he first got hired that usually is what happens when you have winning seasons and then you add a title to it.

Ya you need defenders otherwise it doesn't matter who you have running the D. You are not telling me anything I don't know there. If Mike and management can find a guy weather its Lawrence Frank or who ever they need to get rid of Herb Williams. Mike can coach O and let someone else focus on the D.

As much as I like Douglas I think moving Douglas is the next step you have to take to improve this team. Trade Douglas, Balkman and Walker for Ramon Sessions and Samardo Samuels is the move I want to see made it gives us a good backup PG and another center which we need. A center who is athletic and plays D

Comment

Ya Carlisle's rep is now better then it was when he first got hired that usually is what happens when you have winning seasons and then you add a title to it.

Ya you need defenders otherwise it doesn't matter who you have running the D. You are not telling me anything I don't know there. If Mike and management can find a guy weather its Lawrence Frank or who ever they need to get rid of Herb Williams. Mike can coach O and let someone else focus on the D.

As much as I like Douglas I think moving Douglas is the next step you have to take to improve this team. Trade Douglas, Balkman and Walker for Ramon Sessions and Samardo Samuels is the move I want to see made it gives us a good backup PG and another center which we need. A center who is athletic and plays D
                                I'm with on you're first two points but I wouldn't trade Dougie for Sessions, at least not until the new CBA makes it impossible for us to get a 3rd max cat. Next summer is the next time we'll have any cap space to play with, so for now we need to stay as flexible as we can and hope the CBA lets us make as big of a splash as we can. From there we can start taking on long term contracts for role players to round out the team, but this year we can't go out acquire long term contracts.

I still think we need a Center to pair with Turiaf, Harrelson and Jordan in our Center by committee, but I'm comfortable with our back court. Billups, Dougie, Shumpert and Fields is a good group to go with Melo and Stat in the front court. We'll be weak at center again this season, but our perimeter D should be better and our o shouldn't sputter like it did last postseason when Amar'e went down. Next year we get to make a big splash and hopefully at that point we'll be true contenders or at least just some tweaks away from contending. Right now we're still to young around our big 3.

BK

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information