The Official New York Knicks Team Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
    I think Mayo could do that too. The difference is I think Mayo is bigger and better in a lot of other areas also.
    I don't think Mayo will ever be as good as Dougie on D, but yeah, the other things he brings to the table make him clearly superior. I'd love him, would give us better shooting in the starting lineup and thus better spacing for AmaRay. Plus I think Mayo would really get the other guys involved when the ball passed through his hands and let Gallo drive more. Still not going to get excited about this because I just don't see this happening.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
    Originally posted by JBCX
    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Im not a fan of Douglas. He chucks it up too much. I do like his D though.

Comment

• Your bench is important for getting you into the playoffs. But come playoff time, your bench doesn't mean squat. It's all about your starters.

Honestly, I'll sacrifice some bench to improve the quality of my starting 5. So what if you wind up being the 6 seed instead of the 1 seed, once playoff time comes around it won't mean anything.

Basketball isn't like football. Homecourt isn't nearly as important, depth isn't nearly as important, and player development isn't the same. In the NBA, for the most part, you are what you are. 1% of the players in the NBA actually improve their game considerably over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Your bench is important for getting you into the playoffs. But come playoff time, your bench doesn't mean squat. It's all about your starters.

Honestly, I'll sacrifice some bench to improve the quality of my starting 5. So what if you wind up being the 6 seed instead of the 1 seed, once playoff time comes around it won't mean anything.

Basketball isn't like football. Homecourt isn't nearly as important, depth isn't nearly as important, and player development isn't the same. In the NBA, for the most part, you are what you are. 1% of the players in the NBA actually improve their game considerably over the years.
          I disagree completely. Homecourt means a TON in recent years. It's not uncommon for a series to basically be decided by homecourt. There will always be some upsets, but for the most part teams at home win. I'd argue homecourt means pretty much nothing in football outside of weather conditions.
          (shameless self-promotion)
          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

I disagree completely. Homecourt means a TON in recent years. It's not uncommon for a series to basically be decided by homecourt. There will always be some upsets, but for the most part teams at home win. I'd argue homecourt means pretty much nothing in football outside of weather conditions.
            When youre a big market team in basketball, you get the calls. The Knicks will get calls on the road vs the Hornets for example.

Remember Dick (Knick) Bevetta? The Knicks will get a ton of calls in the playoffs, don't worry about that.

Homefield in football actually effects strategy, whereas it doesn't do anything in basketball. You can't run your entire offense in football on the road bc of crowd noise, you have to use a silent count, it hinders your offense. Plus weather conditions. It's HUGE in football.

In basketball it doesn't mean jack. It doesn't effect your game, it doesn't effect your strategy. The calls tend to go to the homecourt team yes, but when you're the Lakers or Knicks or Bulls, you get the calls anyway. And star players get calls on the road or at home regardless. So its meaningless.

It's much easier stealing a road win in the playoffs and advancing with a higher quality starting unit than going into the playoffs with a good bench but less quality in the starting 5.

Phil Jackson is notorious for just playing his starters literally the entire game throughout the playoffs to combat any depth issues. Playoffs are all about your starters.

Comment

• Bottom line is we need to make a few more moves to be contenders, Mayo and Melo are perfect fits. If the Lakers weren't championship contenders until they got Pau and Ariza, and Boston until they got KG, Ray, PJ Brown, and Posey, then the same goes for us. We need to add to Felton, Amar'e and Chandler...Mayo and Melo are two perfect fits. Then we get a solid big and a backup PG and we can see what we have and what tweaks need to be made to take several runs at those 50+ win seasons and hopefully some championships.

What we have now is good enough for a 5th, MAYBE 4th seed in the East. Nice considering our recent past, but not nice enough going forward.

Get Melo and Amar'e on the same team (two dudes that legitimately command a double team) and throw Mayo out on the wing to shoot and play some D on the other end and we're beginning to say something.
              Last edited by TheFinisher; 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM.
              Cowboys Mock:
              1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
              2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
              3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• Going tonight against Miami, so pumped!
                Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

• Originally posted by GaMeTiMe View Post
                  Going tonight against Miami, so pumped!
                  That atmosphere is going to be awesome tonight, no place like the Garden.
                  Cowboys Mock:
                  1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                  2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                  3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

Comment

• I was at the game last night. The atmosphere was AMAZING. The first half was SO much fun, but once the game got out of hand the crowd didn't have the same energy.

But I had so much fun. Nothing like the Garden. Everytime Bosh went to the line we all chanted "overrated!" and every time Lebron got the ball we booed him, the energy was just fantastic.

I'm definitely going to be going back to the Garden again.

Disappointed that we lost of course, but at least the Garden is back.

Comment

I was at the game last night. The atmosphere was AMAZING. The first half was SO much fun, but once the game got out of hand the crowd didn't have the same energy.

But I had so much fun. Nothing like the Garden. Everytime Bosh went to the line we all chanted "overrated!" and every time Lebron got the ball we booed him, the energy was just fantastic.

I'm definitely going to be going back to the Garden again.

Disappointed that we lost of course, but at least the Garden is back.
                      Haha. Sad thing is Bosh outplayed Amar'e. I don't think Bosh is that overrated, really, he's just the third wheel on a team with two future Hall of Famers. He's not going to put up Amar'e numbers when he's got two other prolific scorers on his team.

Comment

Haha. Sad thing is Bosh outplayed Amar'e. I don't think Bosh is that overrated, really, he's just the third wheel on a team with two future Hall of Famers. He's not going to put up Amar'e numbers when he's got two other prolific scorers on his team.
                        Not really. If Amare hits his free throws he scores 30 last night. Plus they did a great job of taking Amare out of the game, they crashed on him every time and forced it out of his hands.

They're 1 of the few teams that has the length and athleticism to defend Stoudemire. Put Bosh in the interior, and crash up at the top of the key with Lebron. Other guys had to step up.

The Heat have the blueprint on beating the Knicks. Zone defense to take away Amare's ability to drive, force everyone to take jumpshots all game, and run the floor on em bc you get long rebounds.

For a team lacking consistent shooting ability, we take way too many jumpers and way too many 3s.

Comment

Not really. If Amare hits his free throws he scores 30 last night. Plus they did a great job of taking Amare out of the game, they crashed on him every time and forced it out of his hands.

They're 1 of the few teams that has the length and athleticism to defend Stoudemire. Put Bosh in the interior, and crash up at the top of the key with Lebron. Other guys had to step up.

The Heat have the blueprint on beating the Knicks. Zone defense to take away Amare's ability to drive, force everyone to take jumpshots all game, and run the floor on em bc you get long rebounds.

For a team lacking consistent shooting ability, we take way too many jumpers and way too many 3s.
                          11-19 is much better than 11-28. Amar'e got outplayed by Bosh. Not that Bosh was defending him much, as it was Joel Anthony, but there's no way to argue who was better this game between the two.

Don't get me wrong though, I sure as hell wouldn't trade Amar'e for Bosh, but he did have a better game.

Also, BBD, you forgot to mention the player who has shown up the most in these two tough games (not named Amar'e) in Danilo Gallinari! He's been awesome. Whenever he drives to the hoop he's always making things happen for himself or teammates.

That baseline dunk he had against Boston was amazing, haha. He's kind of sneaky athletic in that way for a guy his size.

Comment

• Build up that trade value Gallo!

Now if Gallo had the balls to drive to the hoop like that all game, every game, my opinion on him would be very different. But he doesn't, which is disappointing.

In a perfect world, he learns to drive to the hoop all the time, and we get Melo in the offseason, and we play

C Amare
                            PF Gallo
                            SF Anthony
                            SG Chandler
                            PG Felton

but realistically, that's not happening. Plus we'd probably have issues on defense in the front court.

Comment

• Forenci I'm glad you n brodeur have been talking up Gallo these past two games. Keeps me from having to homer it up, but I just can't not love the kid. Dude steps up when we do call upon him and is a super smart player who's great at helping out the team in other ways when we don't give him the ball with a chance to create, aka most of the time when AmaRay are clicking.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Build up that trade value Gallo!

Now if Gallo had the balls to drive to the hoop like that all game, every game, my opinion on him would be very different. But he doesn't, which is disappointing.

In a perfect world, he learns to drive to the hoop all the time, and we get Melo in the offseason, and we play

C Amare
                                PF Gallo
                                SF Anthony
                                SG Chandler
                                PG Felton

but realistically, that's not happening. Plus we'd probably have issues on defense in the front court.
                                Considering how Rosebud has mentioned on numerous occasions we pretty much tell Gallo to sit at the three point line in order to space the floor, I don't see why you can blame Gallo for it all the time. Every team needs spacing, and we lack a guy who can give it outside of Gallo.

Gallinari in Italy really wasn't a spot up shooter like we ask him to be. He posted quite a bit (as Rose has mentioned) as well as took it to the rim a ton.

I think if we just let him play his style of game he'll continue to get to the rim more. We also need to stop ignoring him. Sometimes Felton and Amar'e get too focused on the pick and roll and forget they've got players around them.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information