Cato June Back in The Picture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
    I wouldn't say he's a liability against the run, but he does need for the DL's to keep blockers off him, more then most other LBs, to be effective against the run.

He has very good sideline-to-sideline speed, and if he's in the right system, I think he can be quiet good.
    Yeah, I see him as a Cover 2 LB. I don't know if he'd fit in our conventional scheme. He's better off going to a team that runs the Cover 2.

We'll be using our OLBs primarily as blitzers. They also have to keep their lane in the run game while blitzing though, and may often deal with linemen, so I don't think he's the right fit. Alot of times, what teams do against Philly is have their olinemen pick up the quick OLBs and have their MIKE (Trotter lost a step) try to chase the RB. That requires you to have a very good MIKE in RB pursuit, and OLBs who can shed blocks. This is what I got from talking to Eagles fans about their scheme. So I don't know if Cato could fit that bill.

Comment

I wouldnt mind Cato June, but I think even if we get him, we still gotta draft a Backer in round 1.

Comment

NO JUNE! He was a safety in college, those numbers for his height and weight are way over what he is. In the scheme we run i dont thin he is the right fit. Sure he is fast but he cant get off a block or take care of business in the running game. He excels in coverage but instead of throwing alot of money at him, i'd rather stick with Chase or Wilk at the WILL and try and get Edwards on a short term deal. Edwards used to play MIKE in his younger days i believe, so he clearly plays bigger than those measurables. However I'm one who thinks we should wait until the draft for a LB. Personally i feel we only need one and i want Willis now more than anyone because i thin he can be a very good SAM for us. He has the athletic ability and size to do so and when Pierce is done here we can shift him back inside if we want.
        Orlovsky, Fincher - UConn football '05 Draft
        Deon Anderson, FB - 6th Round 195th overall 07' Draft - Cowboys
        2008 UConn draft picks - Tyvon Branch CB - 4th Round 100th overall - Raiders and Donald Thomas G - 6th round 195 overall - Dolphins
        2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
        2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
          NO JUNE! He was a safety in college, those numbers for his height and weight are way over what he is. In the scheme we run i dont thin he is the right fit. Sure he is fast but he cant get off a block or take care of business in the running game. He excels in coverage but instead of throwing alot of money at him, i'd rather stick with Chase or Wilk at the WILL and try and get Edwards on a short term deal. Edwards used to play MIKE in his younger days i believe, so he clearly plays bigger than those measurables. However I'm one who thinks we should wait until the draft for a LB. Personally i feel we only need one and i want Willis now more than anyone because i thin he can be a very good SAM for us. He has the athletic ability and size to do so and when Pierce is done here we can shift him back inside if we want.
          Im also opening up to Willis. He makes plays all over the place, and he has the measureables to back it up. But I don't know if he's a OLB. I think he's a MIKE.

And if we start him at SAM, we could potentially start 3 MIKEs on the field at once. Wilkinson and Chase were both MIKEs, AP is a MIKE, and we'd have Willis at SAM who would be a converted MIKE.

Thats great for run stuffing, but we might suffer the same issues in pass coverage again. Its tough to say...

Comment

I know what you mean BBD but Willis has the speed to be an OLB, clearly instincts and i think he would do fine at SAM in coverage as he would be able to keep up with 90% of the TE in the league. His 4.5 forty is great for a LB. As for Wilkinson, i know he played MIKE in college at GT but Io he is definitely and outside backer in the pros. he lacks the bulk to play Mike i feel so i dont think the 3 Mikes is much of an issue. Pierce is a true MIKE and doesnt have the speed to move outside not that anyone is suggesting that. But for me, Willis is my #1 LB now and im am convinced he would do a good job at SAM. Its just that considering there are no SAMs really beside Stew Bradley, Willis is the guy we need b/c we have two other capable WILLs on the roster.
            Orlovsky, Fincher - UConn football '05 Draft
            Deon Anderson, FB - 6th Round 195th overall 07' Draft - Cowboys
            2008 UConn draft picks - Tyvon Branch CB - 4th Round 100th overall - Raiders and Donald Thomas G - 6th round 195 overall - Dolphins
            2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
            2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
              I know what you mean BBD but Willis has the speed to be an OLB, clearly instincts and i think he would do fine at SAM in coverage as he would be able to keep up with 90% of the TE in the league. His 4.5 forty is great for a LB. As for Wilkinson, i know he played MIKE in college at GT but Io he is definitely and outside backer in the pros. he lacks the bulk to play Mike i feel so i dont think the 3 Mikes is much of an issue. Pierce is a true MIKE and doesnt have the speed to move outside not that anyone is suggesting that. But for me, Willis is my #1 LB now and im am convinced he would do a good job at SAM. Its just that considering there are no SAMs really beside Stew Bradley, Willis is the guy we need b/c we have two other capable WILLs on the roster.
              If you think about it, Wilkinson is a poor man's Willis. He also had great measureables coming out, but lacked some bulk and needed refinement to play OLB. His first year, he had a lot of growing pains as a result.

The same could potentially happen with Willis, although I feel that Willis is a better player. But you get what I mean.

Its a risky move, it can work out great, but it can also screw us over. I need to see more film on the guy. Most of my personal scouting of him came from the Senior Bowl.

Comment

Tim Shaw and Quincy Black are my later round sleepers.

Comment

Giants | Team makes contact with June's agent
                  Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:47:19 -0800

Paul Schwartz, of the New York Post, reports the New York Giants have made contact with free agent LB Cato June's (Colts) agent. No visit has been scheduled.

http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Yeah, I see him as a Cover 2 LB. I don't know if he'd fit in our conventional scheme. He's better off going to a team that runs the Cover 2.

We'll be using our OLBs primarily as blitzers. They also have to keep their lane in the run game while blitzing though, and may often deal with linemen, so I don't think he's the right fit. Alot of times, what teams do against Philly is have their olinemen pick up the quick OLBs and have their MIKE (Trotter lost a step) try to chase the RB. That requires you to have a very good MIKE in RB pursuit, and OLBs who can shed blocks. This is what I got from talking to Eagles fans about their scheme. So I don't know if Cato could fit that bill.
                    Ah, exactly. Which is why I would prefer Edwards as a cheap free agent, as you suggested. He can deal with linemen a bit more than June can. Of course, this is also why I am a huge fan of drafting Paul Posluszny in the first. He'll be the kind of blitzing linebacker who'll be able to handle offensive linemen.
                    (shameless self-promotion)
                    Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=17834

Comment

Conflicting reports... again.

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information