What if We did this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if We did this...

Trade our 1st and 3rd to the Steelers for Casey Hampton. Would you make that trade?

I think doing this would be beneficial for several reasons.

1. Casey is a monster, and can swallow the run in any scheme, and make our dline impossible to block

2. We can run the 3-4, and our LB needs suddenly disappear. In fact, our front 7 would be solidified with this simple move alone.

3. Pitt is overhauling their roster, they could use extra picks and probably would consider it.

4. It would allow us to use our in house talent at its best positions. We have the talent to make the switch rather easily, all we need is a NT. I know Spags is a 4-3 guy, but he pretty much runs the same scheme as Wade Phillips, and has had a little experience in the 3-4, so maybe its not too far fetched after all.

you could put tuck and kiwi at the LB. i dunno if would do it or not i would have to watch film on hampton. its sounds interesting.

Comment

Not in a million years. We aren't switching to a 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky bobby View Post
        Not in a million years. We aren't switching to a 3-4.
        its just a thought its not a bad idea either. what would we do with robbin and cofield? maybe a 1st and 4th rounder though

Comment

Never ever.. Lets just keep our damn picks.. Steelers drafted Hampton, so lets follow suit, and use our first round pick in a smart way, and draft someone who can be an impact player.

Comment

No way, i would trade 2 first day picks for very few players in this league aside from the elite, but no way, lets keep out picks and build through the draft they way you have to these days.
            Orlovsky, Fincher - UConn football '05 Draft
            Deon Anderson, FB - 6th Round 195th overall 07' Draft - Cowboys
            2008 UConn draft picks - Tyvon Branch CB - 4th Round 100th overall - Raiders and Donald Thomas G - 6th round 195 overall - Dolphins
            2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
            2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
              No way, i would trade 2 first day picks for very few players in this league aside from the elite, but no way, lets keep out picks and build through the draft they way you have to these days.
              i agree with what your saying but try to think aboutthis idea for asec. if we had a nose tackle. we have 2 demarcus ware type players with kiwi and tuck. imagine our pass rush, it would be incredible. our DB play would substantially increase by a huge margin.

Comment

I updated my mock draft. If you are interested in big athletic NTs, you'll like my last pick.

Comment

I know what you're saying hugpunch but Spags isnt a 3-4 coach and although Hampton is a stud inside, i just dont think it would serve the overall benefit of the team at this point considering we have some other holes to fill
                  Orlovsky, Fincher - UConn football '05 Draft
                  Deon Anderson, FB - 6th Round 195th overall 07' Draft - Cowboys
                  2008 UConn draft picks - Tyvon Branch CB - 4th Round 100th overall - Raiders and Donald Thomas G - 6th round 195 overall - Dolphins
                  2009 UConn Draft picks? Darius Butler, CB, Cody Brown, DE, Will Beatty, OT
                  2007 Co-Big East Champs

Donald Brown 2008 D-1 rushing title

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue58KiperIII View Post
                    I know what you're saying hugpunch but Spags isnt a 3-4 coach and although Hampton is a stud inside, i just dont think it would serve the overall benefit of the team at this point considering we have some other holes to fill
                    yea true, it would be kinda sweet though if we did something like that.

Comment

never- isnt casey hampton already like 28 or so? we need to get younger and i think we can improve in the draft with defensive players without trading away the trade for a good NT to also switch around our whole defensive scheme

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Comment

he will be 30 this year. it would be interesting to do. but i wouldnt want to give up any draft picks.

Comment

NO, Reese is messing up stuff, and even he wouldn't make this trade, Hampton is not worth two potential starters for us in one or two years. We need youth so we can build around them for the future

Sig thanks to the amazing jackalope

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher28 View Post
                            NO, Reese is messing up stuff, and even he wouldn't make this trade, Hampton is not worth two potential starters for us in one or two years. We need youth so we can build around them for the future
                            Messing up what stuff? So far so good for Reese. We do need youth. We dont need overpriced vets. If we were committed to going to a 3-4 then this trade could work. that doesnt appear to be happening tho. keep the picks

Comment

It was just a thought. Here's my reasoning behind it.

In the 4-3, we have "holes" at both OLB spots, and UT in the front 7.

Thats 3 holes.

With Casey Hampton, we have no holes in the front 7. That simple realignment and player aquistion makes our front 7 very solid. We have 2 stud MIKEs, now we can use them both. We have 2 stud rushbacker types, now we can use them both. The only problem would be NT, and thats where Hampton comes in. Coffield can play his natural 3-4 DE position, and Strahan is more than adequate to man the other position.

Now our only defensive weakness comes in the secondary. Now if Pitt would take just a 1st for Hampton, than thats great. I was just throwing the idea out there of getting Hampton. And remember, 3-4 NTs can play productively for a long time. Hampton has at least 5 years left in the tank. We can easily draft a replacement for him later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information