No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes.. As an offensive guy, I watched us draft defensive players last year. Now I want to see us go BPA obviously, but part of me wants an offensive player draft.

Go trenches and then skill player if they are there. But BPA first is fine by me either way off. or def. I would be annoyed to see another defensive player loaded draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      Then we wait another year for a LB and we face the same issues on defense.

I take it you're not a Herz fan?
      As a 3rd pick I'd have no problem with that. I just want a fast thmping LB lately though and he doesn't really bring that to the table. I know most players aren't like that but it's what I want to see.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'd be cool with that mock BBD, if we don't get a shot at Sherrod I want Carimi right now, that said I think we've still got a shot at Sherrod who I like a lot more as a LT and I think can be just as beastly at RT, with better pass blocking. I am kind of feeling a defensive tackle or corner in round two but I did like O'Dowd a lot even though I'm also fine with the Seubert/Koets duo.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
          JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
          Originally posted by abaddon41_80
          Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
          Originally posted by JBCX
          Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
            Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.
            That's what I thought.. I get the reports for the 3 guys confused but one said may have hard time handling fast pass rushers. It reminded me of David D. right away. I don't want another version of David D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
              That's what I thought.. I get the reports for the 3 guys confused but one said may have hard time handling fast pass rushers. It reminded me of David D. right away. I don't want another version of David D.
              David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
              Originally posted by JBCX
              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.
                Yeah that's how I feel as well. I wouldn't that in the 1st round either though.
                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                  Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.
                  Not really. I think Carimi's pass protection is underrated. He's a lot stronger than Diehl, and he's got a better punch to him too. And he's stood the test vs some quality pass rushers. I think we're all selling Carimi short bc we automatically assume a big strong nasty run blocker who doesn't have the quickest feet can't be a LT. It's overanalysis by the scouts in my opinion, everyone is so caught up looking for the "prototype"

Look at Jason Smith. The guy was the prototype LT with the quick feet and all that jazz, and he's a bust.

Gabe does a great job of using his strength to absolutely stonewall pass rushers. Bc he's so strong, he can take that deep step to defend teh speed rush and not worry about getting beat inside bc once they try the inside move, he just uses his strength to stop them in their tracks.

And you can't bullrush Gabe either.

He reminds me a lot of Jake Long honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    Well at LT is what I mean. Let him play LG.

Comment

• Just go back and try to catch some Wisconsin tape if you can, and just watch him pass protect.

Watch him pass protect, watch his feet, his form, his balance, his punch, his arm extension etc, and then tell me he can't play LT. I love his game, I think he can do it all. I hear all the knocks on him, but when I watch him play I see a beast out there.

I really think he's being slept on.

Comment

• And in my eyes, the worst case scenario is he becomes McKenzie's replacement at RT, and I'm telling you, at worst this guy is going to be a monster RT in the pros. Which is fine with me at pick 19. I don't see how we lose with him.

But to be fair, I am higher on him than most.

Comment

• That's another thing which reminds me.. How come around this time every year everyone refers to film as tape? You hear fans say I watched tape of him? Where are you getting the tape from? Live game recorded? That's not tape.. Youtube highlight videos? That isn't tape either.

BBD, just reminded me. It seems I see this every year on various MBs. You hear people say, I saw lots of tape on him.. Where? Did that person call the college and they send them coaches tape? Do they know an NFL scout? Because the other stuff hardly constitutes as tape.

Just something that bothers me around this time of year. Not to single you out BBD, but when you mentioned tape, I remembered it. I was looking at all that this weekend where people, around this time, all sound like scouts.

Comment

• Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.
                              Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
                                Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.
                                I hear ya. I'm usually waaaay behind come draft time bc I rarely watch college football. I just can't get into it. Luckily for me, I have a couple of friends who swear by it and I get to see the stuff they DVR. So what I personally do is, check out some names from this site, go back and find whatever games they recorded and see if I have any games of them, and watch them. Then I form an opinion on em based on the 2 or 3 games I got to see.

Hardly a perfect system, but it's better than nothing. I feel I'd be a much better evaluator of college talent if I watched the games.

And when I have nothing on a guy, I revert to youtube. Obviously a flawed way of evaluating, but again, it's better than nothing.

NFL network does a great job of showing some actual tape. But the sample size is so small. Mayock is great though. When in doubt, trust Mayock. The guy is money. I don't care much for Kiper or McShay, but Mayock is legit.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information