The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
    hey dominate, just check the fenikz mock and feel free to pm me and forenci with ideas/suggestions. we bounce ideas off each other and stuff
    Hey scotty,
    Cool! Sounds good! Appreciate the response... I love exchanging ideas its enriching. Whats your post senior mock like?

Comment

• well what forenci and I pulled off in the forum mock is pretty ideal to me. I'm on the Carimi bandwagon big time. I'd LOVE him in the first, and the 2nd would be fine with grabbing a DT like Ballard or Nevis. 3rd round...I want O'Dowd. I also prefer Murray to Todman, but Murray was gone...and Forenci peer pressured me to take Todman. If I had to make a dream mock it'd be something like:

1. Carimi
      2. Ballard (who I've read a lot on recently and I'm falling in love)
      3. O'Dowd
      4. Not sure on specific players yet, but here's where I'd like a DB, or if Herzlich falls.
      6 and 7, I'm not big on specifics this late, but I'd just love Lefeged in there like round 6. I'll have to do some research on some later round prospects.
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Carimi, Nevis, and O'Dowd in the first 3 rounds would seriously give me a monster boner. I;d have to seek medical attention to soften back up.
        #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
          Carimi, Nevis, and O'Dowd in the first 3 rounds would seriously give me a monster boner. I;d have to seek medical attention to soften back up.
          Just think of CC Brown...it works for me every time.

I'm a huge Nevis fan too. Getting a guy like Ballard would be amazing too. He kind of reminds me of Geno Atkins but with more strength and better feet.
          (shameless self-promotion)
          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• i actually like Ballard more than Nevis now after reading up.

and Zak, imagine that, with Lefeged in the 6th!
            BONERS!
            We ALL bleed scarlet
            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Draft day boner party!!! Anyway the DT class is about the only good thing in this draft and I wasnt at least one of them in the first 2 rounds.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                Carimi, Nevis, and O'Dowd in the first 3 rounds would seriously give me a monster boner. I;d have to seek medical attention to soften back up.
                Too bad Nevis and O'Dowd aren't very good players

Comment

• Originally posted by Nebula View Post
                  Too bad Nevis and O'Dowd aren't very good players
                  Uhh, not sure what games you're watching but Nevis was superb this year. In some ways, I like him more than Fairley. Granted he's not as talented as Fairley but his motor is nonstop and he doesn't have the potential character concerns that Fairley does.
                  (shameless self-promotion)
                  Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• I only saw Nevis once, during the bowl game. I wasn't impressed at all.

I know 1 game is not a fair sample size, but the bowl games are generally the best competition you go against all year, it's a level playing field or as close to it in college football, and he was very underwhelming in that game.

He just looked extremely mediocre in that game.

I'm not a Nevis fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I only saw Nevis once, during the bowl game. I wasn't impressed at all.

I know 1 game is not a fair sample size, but the bowl games are generally the best competition you go against all year, it's a level playing field or as close to it in college football, and he was very underwhelming in that game.

He just looked extremely mediocre in that game.

I'm not a Nevis fan.
                      I was essentially just going to repeat this exactly, lol

He really struggles against double teams as well. Its ok, but he gets dominated and pushed around against double teams and he got washed up a lot. Not all that physically gifted, and if he couldn't anchor in college I can't imagine him doing it against nfl offensive lineman that are stronger and more athletic

Comment

• Originally posted by Nebula View Post
                        I was essentially just going to repeat this exactly, lol

He really struggles against double teams as well. Its ok, but he gets dominated and pushed around against double teams and he got washed up a lot. Not all that physically gifted, and if he couldn't anchor in college I can't imagine him doing it against nfl offensive lineman that are stronger and more athletic
                        It also depends on Fewell and if he pushes hard for a DT as well. I've also been pushing for a DT, but I remembered recently that Fewell's system doesn't ask for a pass rushing DT.

The DTs in his system always occupy 2 gaps, and are meant to create a wall at the LOS to prevent RBs from finding holes. They are never asked to pass rush. In fact, if you see one of our DTs penetrating, chances are he's not doing his job and is abandoning his gaps.

So when we look at it from this standpoint, and also considering how we sub out DTs in our nickel defense anyway, the question becomes, do we really need a UT?

I still say yes, because there will be situations where you come out in a nickel defense with 2 DTs, and you can only rush 4 and you need that pass rushing DT inside to make it work. Look at the Packers for example, you can't come out with all DEs against them, and you can't blitz them, so against those teams you'd prefer to have a guy you can plug in at UT and rush against a spread set and create that interior push without blitzing.

But when we look at the system, the question becomes, is the UT in this system worth that big of an investment? A guy like Nevis is a 1st round kind of guy, do we invest that kind of pick in a guy who will ultimately just be a situational player that rotates in occasionally in Fewell's system?

I say no for now. Of course the draft board will ultimately dictate what we do, but for now, I have my eyes set on linebackers or olinemen early on. I say if we're going after a penetrating type of DT, we should spend a 3rd/4th on the guy. We can find an undersized DT who can rush in those rounds I believe.

FA and our depth at DT will also play a big role of course. Right now, we know we'll have Canty and Joseph. If Coffield is gone, which seems likely, that's a big blow, and Bernard sucks. So our depth is shakey at best.
                        Last edited by bigbluedefense; 02-05-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• I know you wish we had Atkins BBD :)

To be honest, I don't see Bernard as that bad of a player. Stretched in a lot of playing time, but definitely a solid rotation guy.

I do agree, I don't really see DT as a 1st round need, but more for depth purposes.

BTW, you wake up early BBD!

Comment

• All off-season I haven't been an advocate of a DT early, but I've read up on Iowa's Christian Ballard, and I REALLY like him. I'd be a big fan of his.
                            We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Damix View Post
                              I know you wish we had Atkins BBD :)

To be honest, I don't see Bernard as that bad of a player. Stretched in a lot of playing time, but definitely a solid rotation guy.

I do agree, I don't really see DT as a 1st round need, but more for depth purposes.

BTW, you wake up early BBD!
                              You know it! That still stings me. Every time Geno makes a play I realize Dillard is inactive pretty much every game and Im like aaaaaaah!

Bernard is just out there. I admit he played better this year, but he's just out there. I'm sure he'll stay on the team bc we have so few DTs, but I would like to improve our depth if possible. I just don't want to spend a 1st on a DT is all. I say 3rd round or later.

Haha, yeah. Work. I'm up very early pretty much every day.

Comment

• I'd be all aboard bringing in a DT this year to. I think we'll have Joseph coming in and maybe Cofield back, with Canty that's a 3 man rotation that we'd just need some occassional help resting, so it's not huge priority unless we lose cofield. But I'd love to see us get another high upside/high work ethic DT this year to groom for a year with some cameos. I just really think we need OL much worse. Between Sherrod and Carimi there's two really talented OTs who at worst would solidify our right side with snee for a decade, if we can snag one of those guys in the first I'll be cool with waiting to address the D. I think we could get by with a Koets/Seubert at Center if we could get someone to lockdown RT alongside Snee. With Diehl, Beatty, Petrus and Andrews I think we'll be able to put together a good enough left side of the line that could be awesome if Beatty breaks out.

That's my biggest concern alongside making sure our WRs are spending all of their time of in either labs or training with monks on some mountain to make themselves impervious to injury. Our D got really worn out as the season progressed because we had too many short drives.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                                Originally posted by JBCX
                                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information