No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are a lot of good discussion points flying around. I too have been pondering a play for Von Miller. I think he is excellent but, if we were to get Miller, then what happens about filling the much needed depth on the OL and RB, DT and CB. I guess the biggest concern is what happens in our base 4-3 at LB? You can't have two WILLs on the field (Boley and Miller). I think we are OK at WILL, but we really need a MIKE and SAM. Its clear that we need to fill one of these spots in through FA. I think it would be great to bring in Greenway at the SAM and leave Goff in at MIKE. Maybe Posluzny at Mike and Goff at SAM? It would be interesting to see what Poz could do with an actually D-line opening gaps for him.

Any thoughts on Rocky McIntosh? Do you think he could be a Antonio Pierce 2.0? He could come cheap and he is pretty solid in the 4-3.

As for Camiri, it appears that he should be around in the second round. If we were to trade down, I would love to pick him up. He is one Nasty SOB.

Comment

• Boley actually played SAM for us this year, not WILL. That's why Boley didn't make as many impact plays, his job was essentially to chase the TE all year.

But when you think about it, it worked. Bc this was the first year in a long long time that I can't remember us getting killed by the TE. Boley did a great job in his role.

Fewell's system is unique in how he lines up the dline and lb core. Traditional systems puts your run stuffers on the strong side and your pass rushers and coverage LBs on the weakside.

Fewell believes in having equal strength along both sides of the line. So he moves guys in different areas. He has the traditional WILL behind the LE and has him chase TEs. He puts the tradiitonal SAM behind the RE to make up for the RE's lack of run stuffing on the weakside.

And both DTs are basically 2 gap run stuffers. They form a wall at the point which allows the MIKE to shoot gaps and make tackles in the run game.

In a way, your "WILL" in Fewell's system, which he labels as the SAM, needs to be a great athlete bc he has to be strong and nasty in the run game, plus athletic enough to chase RBs out of the backfield and cover that underneath zone in a Tampa 2. We lacked that playmaker, and that was what hurt our defense the most.

That's what he traditionally wants to do. However, bc we didn't have the players in the LB core to do it, he went with a 3 Safety base later in the season. He had Grant as our MIKE, who did the deep drop in a Tampa 2 shell, and he had Goff play SAM, and Boley play WILL in our base.

If you notice, that's when our LB core started becoming a bigger liability and our defense started getting exposed. After the bye, for some reason Fewell went with more Tampa and Cover 3 looks, and used that 3 safety base to accomplish it, and that's when our defense started going south.

I don't really understand why he decided to switch things up like that, but I was disappointed that he did, and it's no coincidence that once we started running more of his Tampa style, our defense started dropping off.

The only explanation I can think of is bc he lacked faith in his "SAM", he decided that the 3 safety look would work better and decided to move in that direction.

We need 2 LBs on this team. A MIKE, and a "SAM". We can live with Goff, and don't get me wrong, I like Goff, but he can be upgraded as well.

Comment

• I'm bored so here's my updated 7 round mock

1. Carimi OT
        -Long term solution at RT at the worst, potentially a LT at best. Provides stability along our line. If he's an RT, that allows us to keep Diehl at LT or maybe Beatty at LT. If he's an LT, that allows us to kick Diehl in at LG or perhaps move him to RT, and Petrus to LG. If Beatty pans out, we have Beatty at LT, Carimi at RT, Diehl and Snee at G.

We have a hole at C, but with this mock draft, I'm gambling on Koets/Seuburt being good enough to hold us down at Center, so I'm not addressing the position.

2. Nate Irving MIKE
        -Foster will be gone. So it's between Irving, Quan, Martez and Carter. I think Irving is the better prospect, and he can play MIKE. He's a fiery leader, something we're missing, and he's a hell of a football player. I think he'll make a great MIKE.

3. Best Available UT
        -There isn't much of a need for undersized pass rushing UTs anymore in the NFL. They drop hard in the draft. Think about it, half the teams have no need for them at all on their draft board, which means only 16 teams even consider you each round. With so many other needs, a very good pass rushing UT will fall to this round. Whoever it is, I can't say for sure who it will be, but whoever it is, we should take him and get great value in round 3.

4. Greg Jones WILL/SAM
        -Jones will drop hard bc he's tiny. However, when you watch him play, the guy is tough as nails and has decent speed too. The "SAM" in Fewell's defense needs to be athletic enough to play underneath zone plus chase RBs, but also tough enough to get dirty in the run game. While Jones may be too small to play MIKE, he can get the job done at SAM in Fewell's system, which lines up in the WILL spot in traditional defenses. Between Jones and Irving, we add toughness, tackling, and better range to our defense without sacrificing much in the run game.

5. Traded Away

6. Project Olinemen

7. Best Available RB

I think this mock gives us some stability along the oline, and gives a much needed boost to our LB core and our DT depth.

The key I looked for with our LBs is tackling ability. What separates our defense from the consistently elite defenses is range in the LB core, and tackling. Adding these 2 LBs adds much more range, and they're both great tacklers which makes a huge difference in today's world of YAC.

The addition of a UT gives our nickel defense more versatility. It also gives our 2 starting DTs more rest.

This draft I mocked is defense heavy, but honestly, I think outside of oline additions we're fine on offense. I'm gambling on the idea that some of our in house oline talent pans out, while making much needed upgrades to our LB core and dline on defense.
        Last edited by bigbluedefense; 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Not bad BBC but I'd like to grab a guy in the secondary at some point.
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
            Not bad BBC but I'd like to grab a guy in the secondary at some point.
            Me personally, I don't like taking CBs beyond the first 2 rounds. I feel that CB is a position where you must have elite athleticism to succeed, and generally, good CBs are hard to find beyond the first 2 rounds.

Sure, you find gems here and there, but generally, if you land a CB beyond round 2 he's either fast enough but not big enough, or big enough but not athletic enough.

Comment

• Or you could just grab lefeged in the 6th and everyone wins
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Ya know, if I was GM, I'd do that just for you. I'd make it a requirement we draft a rutgers player with our 7th round pick each year. Why not.

We'd have McCourty on the roster if we followed that rule.

Comment

• Part of me is tempted that we go

1. Carimi
                  2. Nevis
                  3. Martez
                  4. Jones

And gamble on Martez developing his skills as a MIKE for a year on our bench. the guy has the body of Patrick Willis, but he's raw as a MIKE. Since we redshirt our rookies anyway, maybe getting a pass rusher like Nevis in the 2nd and gambling on Martez in the 3rd is a better gamble?

I dunno. I'm so lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Ya know, if I was GM, I'd do that just for you. I'd make it a requirement we draft a rutgers player with our 7th round pick each year. Why not.

We'd have McCourty on the roster if we followed that rule.
                    I love you.

But I think I'd have a mock going like:

1. Carimi
                    2. Foster/Irving
                    3. O'Dowd/Center/DT/BPA
                    4. similar to 4 really, whatever we don't address there.
                    5. traded.
                    6. Dion Lewis
                    7. Joe Lefeged.

yay!

but it all really depends on who stays and who leaves in FA, which is tough
                    We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• The draft is going to be before FA this year also which is really going to mess everything up. Greedy owners and players.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                        I love you.

But I think I'd have a mock going like:

1. Carimi
                        2. Foster/Irving
                        3. O'Dowd/Center/DT/BPA
                        4. similar to 4 really, whatever we don't address there.
                        5. traded.
                        6. Dion Lewis
                        7. Joe Lefeged.

yay!

but it all really depends on who stays and who leaves in FA, which is tough
                        What's your thoughts on Greg Jones?

I like him as a guy we can plug in on the outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                          The draft is going to be before FA this year also which is really going to mess everything up. Greedy owners and players.
                          I like that in a way. It makes us focus on the draft a lot more. I'm not a huge fan of FA, I'd prefer we address everything in the draft, then if we land any FAs afterwards, that's just gravy on the top.

Comment

I like that in a way. It makes us focus on the draft a lot more. I'm not a huge fan of FA, I'd prefer we address everything in the draft, then if we land any FAs afterwards, that's just gravy on the top.
                            Yeah but you can still get good depth players in FA. You don't know what you're getting in that regard out of the draft. I guess it won't be a big deal though since after we draft we'll know even more what spots we need depth for.
                            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

What's your thoughts on Greg Jones?

I like him as a guy we can plug in on the outside.
                              as do I, but if we grabbed a Foster or Irving, I wouldn't see a need for him. I'm very content with Goff right now at MIKE. I think we grab an outside backer and use Sintim as more of just a rusher on passing downs. Jones is quick and seems to be a fiery, passionate guy, which is always nice and something we could use here. I'd really like to grab an OL for depth/future starting purposes or even to start this upcoming season.

again, if Cofield leaves, I'd want to look at Ballard or Nevis in round 2. If Smith leaves, we should look at a WR early-ish as well. Not a great TE class, but we might even make moves if Boss leaves for someone like Kyle Rudolph. If Bradshaw leaves, do we try and snag Ingram or Murray early? It's tough right meow, but I definately want an OL early on.
                              We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                                Yeah but you can still get good depth players in FA. You don't know what you're getting in that regard out of the draft. I guess it won't be a big deal though since after we draft we'll know even more what spots we need depth for.
                                I think we're in a position as a team that we can focus on building our team exclusively through the draft, and then when FA arrives, we can resign our own FAs which we choose to keep, and just leave it at that.

We're not a team with a ton of holes, we just need to draft well and retain key FAs of ours and we'll be ok.

I think this effects other teams a lot more than it does us. It has almost no effect on the GBs, and Pittsburghs of the world who build almost exclusively through the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information