No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're not getting rid of Diehl. No way. He can play 4 spots on the oline and he can play 2 of them at a PB level (LG and RG), and 1 of them at an above average level (RT).

I have no idea how we will shuffle our oline in the future, but Diehl and Snee are 2 guys that are definitely sticking around. Diehl is gonna stay in the starting lineup, I just have no idea which spot. It can be LT, LG, or RT.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a CB. CBs are like DEs these days, you can never have too many of em. Especially with the spread offense becoming the norm.

I really want a TE though. I'm curious to see how Beckum develops, but even if he does, I don't know if he has the body type to be a true TE, so I'd probably still want a seam stretching TE.

Comment

1. Noel Devine RB
        2. Quan Sturdivant ILB
        3. Adrian Taylor DT
        4. Kris O'Dowd C
        5. Johnny Patrick CB
        6. Mario Fanin FB/RB
        7.---

Comment

Devine would be a horrid pick in the first round.
          (shameless self-promotion)
          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN View Post
            1. Noel Devine RB
            2. Quan Sturdivant ILB
            3. Adrian Taylor DT
            4. Kris O'Dowd C
            5. Johnny Patrick CB
            6. Mario Fanin FB/RB
            7.---
            We traded our fifth round pick to Minnesota for Sage Rosenfels and Darius Reynaud.

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
              Devine would be a horrid pick in the first round.
              Why? He's a play maker, alot like Bradshaw in the way he is a tough, small runner who looks for cutbacks, but he has great speed to top it all off. I don't see any flaws in his game in limited viewing, this season i know he's had some foot/ankle injuries which are hindering his production. The offense he's in makes his stats a little misleading because of how wide open everything is, not to mention how weak the conference has been, but he is still one of the best at his position in recent years at least imo.

He's likely to have a great combine, so late first round is probably where he'll be anyway. We do need a RB, BJ can't go a full year as a feature back anymore and how we're using him now to close games is perfect. Bradshaw by himself is great, leading the league in yardage, but he doesn't have break away speed and if we lose him we're screwed.

I would like to find a RB in later rounds as most would, but Devine is worth a late 1st/early second.

Need-wise id go:
              -OL even tho we have guys, but someone like Carimi intrigues me.
              -DT is a need, easily.
              -SLB, but Sintim could fill that or even Kehl.
              -CB/DB i wouldnt even rule out a safety with no Chad Jones for depth.
              -RB
              -FB we need one, idk about Pascoe but Hedgecock has been pretty bad even in run blocking

Bottomline is that we have alot of depth, Jerry Reese has been doing a standout job, but we don't have many ridiculously threatening guys. Like the jets have done in many recent years by trading up and going 'quality over quantity' i think we should follow this.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN View Post
                Why? He's a play maker, alot like Bradshaw in the way he is a tough, small runner who looks for cutbacks, but he has great speed to top it all off. I don't see any flaws in his game in limited viewing, this season i know he's had some foot/ankle injuries which are hindering his production. The offense he's in makes his stats a little misleading because of how wide open everything is, not to mention how weak the conference has been, but he is still one of the best at his position in recent years at least imo.

He's likely to have a great combine, so late first round is probably where he'll be anyway. We do need a RB, BJ can't go a full year as a feature back anymore and how we're using him now to close games is perfect. Bradshaw by himself is great, leading the league in yardage, but he doesn't have break away speed and if we lose him we're screwed.

I would like to find a RB in later rounds as most would, but Devine is worth a late 1st/early second.

Need-wise id go:
                -OL even tho we have guys, but someone like Carimi intrigues me.
                -DT is a need, easily.
                -SLB, but Sintim could fill that or even Kehl.
                -CB/DB i wouldnt even rule out a safety with no Chad Jones for depth.
                -RB
                -FB we need one, idk about Pascoe but Hedgecock has been pretty bad even in run blocking

Bottomline is that we have alot of depth, Jerry Reese has been doing a standout job, but we don't have many ridiculously threatening guys. Like the jets have done in many recent years by trading up and going 'quality over quantity' i think we should follow this.

I think Devine will still be on the table in the 3rd round.

DT is only a need if Cofield isn't resigned. Otherwise we have Canty, Cofield, Bernard and Cofield, plus Nate Collins from the P/S - that is a very talented bunch.

SLB is a likely need, but I still think the front office are willing to give Sintim a shot. If Bullock is back, SLB isn't an urgent need. But if a top talent like Akeem Ayers is still available, he will be certainly in the 1st round mix.

I agree that safety could be a surprise. Someone like Mark Barron in the second round would be my pick. He would ideally develop behind Deon Grant for that SS/LB role.

OL we could use, although we do have decent depth.

I wouldn't rule out DE either.

Comment

I'd throw TE into the mix. Boss is average, and Beckum is too small to be a fulltime TE.

Look at NE, they loaded up with 2 TEs this offseason and they make it work. They line up Hernandez wide and Gronk inside.

We can do the same. Get a true TE to replace Boss and line up Beckum wide. Create more mismatches while maintaining integrity in our run blocking. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

I think OL is by far our biggest need and if we don't grab Soldier, Sherrod, Love or what's his face at OT we should grab O'Dowd or Wisniewski at C.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                    JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                    Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                    Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                    Originally posted by JBCX
                    Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I'd throw TE into the mix. Boss is average, and Beckum is too small to be a fulltime TE.

Look at NE, they loaded up with 2 TEs this offseason and they make it work. They line up Hernandez wide and Gronk inside.

We can do the same. Get a true TE to replace Boss and line up Beckum wide. Create more mismatches while maintaining integrity in our run blocking. It wouldn't be a bad idea.
                      The problem i have with that is that we really dont use TE's in our offense. Eli loves to throw to TE's though (shockey, boss), I'd love someone that is like Dustin Keller, but we just don't use them often enough to address it early on.

Id love to get Fanin as a situational FB, maybe even a FB if he proves himself as a blocker. He is absolutely dirty out of the backfield as a receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I really like the idea of signing Zach Miller in free agency if possible. He is a very good all round TE including a good blocker and reliable receiver.
                        Last edited by Big_Pete; 11-02-2010, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                          I think OL is by far our biggest need and if we don't grab Soldier, Sherrod, Love or what's his face at OT we should grab O'Dowd or Wisniewski at C.
                          Personally I would love to retool the trenches early.

Unfortunately I am not sure we will

Koets will likely be resigned and could be seen as O'Hara's replacement. Andrews will be in the mix at either Guard or Tackle. Seubert and McKenzie are both playing well. It is very likely our depth chart will look like this heading into the draft.

OT - McKenzie, Diehl, Beatty, Andrews (all could be legitimate starters)
                          OG - Snee, Seubert, Petrus, Boothe, Meredith
                          OC - O'Hara, Koets

That is a good mix of experience and youth and very good depth. It is hard to see OL as an urgent/major need.

Add to this the fact that we don't tend to draft Oline early and it could be tough to predict a major retool in the trenches.

I think we will likely bring in a mid-late draft pick on the Online, unless some great value falls into our lap.

Comment

The thing is though, even though we don't use a TE, we still need one to keep defenses honest. Shockey was valuable bc he was at least a decoy that teams had to pick up going down the field which opened up our outside guys. We don't even have that right now. Boss isn't someone who can stretch a seam.

I like the idea of Zach Miller, that's a pretty good idea, but I doubt he leaves Oakland, and cost is also a factor. Pass catching TEs are becoming easier to draft in today's NFL too, so it would be more cost effective to just draft one.

Comment

Meh, I think Beckum and Barden will be more than enough for our passing to become beastly, if at the end of the season though they haven't made more of an impact I'll re-assess my stance, but for now I'm not worried about getting a TE when we need another LT, hopefully a stud center, a running back to battle Ware for the backup job, a cornerback to develop as Ross's replacement, a DT to backup Joseph and Canty and a Safety to take over for Grant when he goes to start for some other team this summer.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Until Beckum and Barden actually do something, I'll remain skeptical. Now can both develop in the future? Sure. But to assume that its going to happen just bc is something I'm not in agreement with.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information