No announcement yet.

The Official G-Men 2011 NFL Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's early, but I'm starting to check out some prospects. So far the ones that intrigue me are:

Greg Jones - We desperately need a MIKE who can give us range in the middle of the field and defend the middle. We need more speed at linebacker and he has all the characteristics, but his lack of size concerns me. I'll continue to keep an eye on him and evaluate him as I learn more about him.

Nick Fairley - We need a presence at DT. Fairley is the best DT available, but probably out of our reach. I need to see more of him, something about him scares me. I see a little bit of bust potential in this guy so far and I can't figure out why.

Akeem Ayers - OLB that has good tools. We need more speed and toughness at linebacker, both inside and outside.

Aaron Williams - We need more depth at CB with Ross most likely leaving soon. CBs need a year to adjust, getting 1 a year early would be a good idea. Plus like DEs, you can never have enough CBs.

Brandon Harris - See Aaron Williams

Bruce Carter - Has the speed, but so far I've noticed he doesn't wrap up well and takes bad angles. But we need more speed at linebacker, so he's an option for now.

Gabe Carimi - RT prospect. McKenzie is old and I'd prefer to stick Diehl at LG instead of RT if we have that option.

Drake Nevis - Great penetrator and can be the interior pass rusher we're looking for.

Cameron Heyward - Can be what Canty was supposed to be. I think he's tremendous value and I'd love to have him. He can play inside for us, he can play outside in run heavy sets, and he also offers us 34 versatility in the future. The more multiple you can be in your fronts, the better. And I think Heyward is good enough that he'll be a great 34 DE or 43 DT/DE hybrid.

I'll try to check out some Centers as well. Basically, I feel like BPA is probably the best route to go since once again, our needs don't line up with our draft position.

I'd say C, OT, ILB, OLB, DT, CB, TE, and S are areas of concern. Of course we won't get someone in each position, but getting BPA from one of those positions wouldn't be terrible.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 01-01-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Good list. I'm a big Harris fan myself if he decides to enter the draft. Nevis I'm very high on as well. Fairley is going to be a stud though. He's absurdly good. He's not at Suh's level, because few are, but he is a damn fine DT prospect which we sadly will have no chance at.
      (shameless self-promotion)
      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• Originally posted by Forenci View Post
        Good list. I'm a big Harris fan myself if he decides to enter the draft. Nevis I'm very high on as well. Fairley is going to be a stud though. He's absurdly good. He's not at Suh's level, because few are, but he is a damn fine DT prospect which we sadly will have no chance at.
        What do you think of Heyward? I'm really warming up to the idea of grabbing him.

Comment

• You guys forgot to list Travis Lewis. He's going to be a stud MLB/WLB in the NFL and I could easily see the Giants grabbing him in the first round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
            You guys forgot to list Travis Lewis. He's going to be a stud MLB/WLB in the NFL and I could easily see the Giants grabbing him in the first round.
            Is he going to declare? If he does, I'd definitely be interested, he looks very good from the few Oklahoma games I've seen.

Comment

• Players that intrigue me

Players that I really like at key positions that need to be addressed:

OT/OG (Our RT is in a contract year and he's old and we need to replenish our Oline)
              Derek Sherrod
              Gabe Carimi
              Marcus Cannon
              James Brewer

CB (A. Ross is a free agent soon, and we are in a passing league)
              Aaron Williams
              BRandon Burton
              Brandon Hogan
              Johnny Patrick

OLB; SAM Linebacker is needed ASAP! The total neglect in this level of the defense cannot be overlooked no more.
              1. Travis Lewis
              2. Nigel Bradham FSU
              3. Mason Foster Washington

DT; Cofield is probably gone, and Rocky Bernard should not be welcome, another young body is needed to replenish the turnover.
              1. Jarvis Jenkins Clemson; very underrated, I like his motor and upside.
              2. Christian Ballard Iowa
              3. Jurrell Casey USC
              4. Phil Taylor Baylor

RB (Odds are either Bradshaw or Jacobs is not coming back, and we have lost alot of the receiving dimension out the backfield since Barber and consequently Ward left)
              1.Mikel LeShoure
              2.Jacquizz Rodgers; the perfect 3rd down back and offers great value in the return game. I like this young man's toughness. Someone who will slide down the draftboards cause of his height, which will be mistake.
              3.Jeff Demps;
              4. Brandon Bolden;

WR (Even though it seems we are stacked in the position, I would like a vertical threat that can contribute on ko and punt return game too)
              1. Torrey Smith
              2. Jerrel Jernigan
              3. Edmund Gates; I love the potential of this player, I'll be ecstatic if we picked him up in 3rd round or later. One of the few prospects that I'm infatuated with.
              4.Cecil Shorts

Just a little preliminary draftboard, can't wait till the Senior Bowl and the Combine to start getting more data on these players, but as of today these are the group of players that I really like. Any thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                I think the world of Dwill, but he's got an incredible amount of miles on his tires. Remember he carried the load in college for all four years and despite sharing duties with Stewart in Carolina he's ran the ball a **** ton there to. I'd be very hesitent to sign him to a big deal over Bradshaw unless the cost is roughly the same, which I seriously doubt with this being Bradshaw's lone year as the number one guy and funmble problems.
                841 carries in 5 seasons, I'd hardly consider that running the ball a ton. To really put that into perspective LJ ran for 752 carries in two seasons. I think he makes a perfect fit, but it depends on what Bradshaw ask for because ultimately you may be able to get Bradford and another player in FA.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• How does everyone feel about Shane Vereen? I remember him catching my eye while i was watching Best.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOMINATEtheline View Post
                    Players that I really like at key positions that need to be addressed:

OT/OG (Our RT is in a contract year and he's old and we need to replenish our Oline)
                    Derek Sherrod
                    Gabe Carimi
                    Marcus Cannon
                    James Brewer

CB (A. Ross is a free agent soon, and we are in a passing league)
                    Aaron Williams
                    BRandon Burton
                    Brandon Hogan
                    Johnny Patrick

OLB; SAM Linebacker is needed ASAP! The total neglect in this level of the defense cannot be overlooked no more.
                    1. Travis Lewis
                    2. Nigel Bradham FSU
                    3. Mason Foster Washington

DT; Cofield is probably gone, and Rocky Bernard should not be welcome, another young body is needed to replenish the turnover.
                    1. Jarvis Jenkins Clemson; very underrated, I like his motor and upside.
                    2. Christian Ballard Iowa
                    3. Jurrell Casey USC
                    4. Phil Taylor Baylor

RB (Odds are either Bradshaw or Jacobs is not coming back, and we have lost alot of the receiving dimension out the backfield since Barber and consequently Ward left)
                    1.Mikel LeShoure
                    2.Jacquizz Rodgers; the perfect 3rd down back and offers great value in the return game. I like this young man's toughness. Someone who will slide down the draftboards cause of his height, which will be mistake.
                    3.Jeff Demps;
                    4. Brandon Bolden;

WR (Even though it seems we are stacked in the position, I would like a vertical threat that can contribute on ko and punt return game too)
                    1. Torrey Smith
                    2. Jerrel Jernigan
                    3. Edmund Gates; I love the potential of this player, I'll be ecstatic if we picked him up in 3rd round or later. One of the few prospects that I'm infatuated with.
                    4.Cecil Shorts

Just a little preliminary draftboard, can't wait till the Senior Bowl and the Combine to start getting more data on these players, but as of today these are the group of players that I really like. Any thoughts?
                    Welcome to the board. Don't be a stranger, this was a good post.

Comment

• Well the season us over, time for the draft

Is Akeem Ayers seen as only a Will? While I agree that teh OL is a big area we need to fill, I am tired of filling the second level of the defense with second and third rounders. Its time to pick up a first round talent at that spot. At the very least we could pick up a quality C in the third round, and a decent OG in the second.

Any thoughts on Chris Owusu from Stanford for a late round pick up?

Comment

• The Giants have the #19 pick in the draft http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...fl-draft-order

I think this is a very good spot.

There will likely be very good value available at OT, CB, RB, DT, OLB (Ayers) and DE depending on which way we want to go.

Comment

• Give me Travis Lewis with our 1st round pick. It's not that easy to watch college games from Norway, so in large part I will probably ask questions and not have real educated opinions on prospects that we can draft. But I was able to watch two Oklahoma-games this season, and he really stood out!

I watched him against Missouri and Nebraska, and i think that in the Nebraska game he had both an interception and a fumble recovery! Furthermore, I've seen scouting reports on him that compares him with Bears LB Lance Briggs. If we can get anything close to Lance Briggs in the next draft we have to go for it IMO.

Also Wikipedia states that he ran a 4.34 40 yd dash in something called a Nike Camp. Not sure how accurate this is of course, but we desperately need speed in our LB corps. I think that's the final piece that makes our defense dominant, which we need because we have such a "jekyll and hyde" offense.

A Bonekrusher masterpiece!

Originally posted by Forenci
                          JPP enjoys raping offensive tackles.

Comment

• yea I love Lewis as well. I'm all aboard his train.
                            Also, how about that Tight End from Stanford last night? Yea, he had like a nothing season and I'm not sure where he stands as a prospect, but 6'6, and the athleticism he showed last night had me come away very impressed.
                            same with that FB/LB hybrid kid. I REALLY liked those 2 last night.
                            Well, with Luck of course but clearly he's of no need/out of reach haha
                            We ALL bleed scarlet
                            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• I like Luck, but after watching him last night, I think I'm still rating Sam Bradford slightly higher.

Luck is still going to be a great qb though. I'm gonna say Bradford will be better than him though. Luck didn't look off defenders enough, got happy feet vs the blitz, was slightly inaccurate at times, and can have better pocket presence.

To be fair, he was going against a fast defense and his playmakers weren't overly talented, so he had to fit the ball into tight windows at times, but I still think he's a work in progress.

I think Sam had better pocket presence, accuracy, and read progression.

If I were to rate the best qb prospects ive ever seen, Id say Eli was 1, Bradford was 2, and Luck is a close 3 behind Bradford.

Comment

• As much as I love Eli, Luck is a better prospect. Bradford I was a huge fan of, but I still believe Luck is a better prospect than him.
                                (shameless self-promotion)
                                Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information