Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can talk about it ad nauseam but I'm just so tired of it. It's the same **** every year. Every damn year. Unless there's a total change like we just saw with McAdoo and the offense it will continue to be a problem.

Fewell will never change, the only way to see the change we want is to get rid of Fewell, which won't happen unless Coughlin is fired/retired.

We invest so much in our CBs then we never blitz. It's just...ugh.

Comment

• Ugh, I like McAdoos offense now so I'm conflicted.

I've been on the get rid of Coughlin train for a few years now, and I still think his time in the NFL is done. Problem is now we'd probably get rid of the whole staff if he is fired.

Ideally hire a defensive head coach that keeps McAdoo around? Who knows.

Comment

• I think that would be the plan honestly. If TC is gone, whoever is the next HC will probably be forced to keep Eli (which they should) and McAdoo at OC.

So my guess would be the next HC is a defensive guy. Which also makes sense. When you have an established qb on offense I prefer a defensive HC to be the ying to his yang.

Comment

• There aren't many great defensive options right now.

Comment

• Not sure how often the forcing of staff has worked, I feel like it is always a bad situation when a HC can't pick his entire staff.

Problem is if we fire just Fewell we are probably looking at Jauron or another one of TC's crappy pals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
              There aren't many great defensive options right now.
              Todd Bowles is a hot candidate right now. And one thing I like about him is, unlike most coordinators who become "hot" candidates bc of their Xs and Os, Bowles has been long considered a great leader who can teach and excel beyond that, which is necessary for a HC.

I like his scheme a lot, but one thing that drew me to Zimmer for so long was not only his scheme, but his player development and his personality/leadership skills.

I see the same things in Bowles as an outsider looking in.

Philly's DC is another guy I'd look into. Brian Shaw is another guy (even though he's an offensive guy), I wouldn't mind Nick Saban if the rumors of him wanting to come back to the NFL are true.

Comment

• I'd get really tired of looking at Bowles dumpy ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                  I'd get really tired of looking at Bowles dumpy ass.
                  Absolutely one of the reasons he hasn't got a job yet.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• just promote Jessie Armstead to DC. Ultimate profit.
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I think that would be the plan honestly. If TC is gone, whoever is the next HC will probably be forced to keep Eli (which they should) and McAdoo at OC.

So my guess would be the next HC is a defensive guy. Which also makes sense. When you have an established qb on offense I prefer a defensive HC to be the ying to his yang.
                      *cough* Schiano

Comment

• Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG
                        No because of our scheme. That hides the OLs weaknesses. When we tried to run more passing concepts associated with stuff we ran with Gilbride it was an epic fail. So this Dallas game we went back to the passing concepts we usually run and things went fine.

Where we see the big time issue is in our running game. Our run blocking and penalties is a big time issue. Constantly putting us in bad down and distance situations.

Our OL isn't good, they are being masked by the system. We need an upgrade.

As for the draft, I still would take the unsexy pick over the shiny toy. Great weapon but can't do much in terms of scheme because bad OL. Give me Martin anyway over OBJ and that's not a knock on his talent but rather a reflect of trenches first and make sure Eli doesn't die in his prime because our OL is bad.
                        No doubt the scheme change has benefited the OL a lot, but it's also a lot more talented and simply more effective than it has been in a long time. Still not what Dallas has or we used to, but if Schwartz is the goods we'd need just one more Schwartz-caliber OL for it to have the pieces in place to grow into being really good again. And while I'm pretty certain Martin could've been that guy for us, I'm not nearly as certain that he's going to be so much better than whomever we can add this offseason to be that guy, that it validated passing on a talent as special as ODB.

While increasing the talent along the OL and relying more on quicker developing plays helps shelter the OL, so does having a reliable blitz-buster for Eli to trust. Which with Nicks no longer giving a **** last season and Cruz becoming unCruz, we lost that. So on top of adding another high quality OL, or two if Schwartz goes all china doll on us, we were going to need someone like ODB and more. I'm willing to chalk this up to just how much I rate Beckham, as I'm completely convinced he'll end up an even more explosive version of the player Cruz used to be, and so I may be over-estimating the impact he'll have on our offense. That said, I think you're overplaying just how much the philly game exposed our OL moving forward.

That game was a symphony of errors, not just the abrupt switch in game plan to the older/less-successful ways, but the OL was still gelling together despite not having it's most talented member (Schwartz), our RBs were disappointing, our pass catchers ineffectual, our whole team was still adjusting to the new offense...with ODB having literally just comeback in the prior week's match up...only for everyone to get thrown out of that new comfort zone they where establishing while Philly attacked us perfectly and unCruz happened so we couldn't even back them off with the threat of the big play. Plus we're going to have to deal with some growing pains for Pugh and Richburg, as we would've with martin, and both of them really struggled individually in that game.

Yes that was embarrassing but it doesn't condemn everything that has been done along the OL to move forward. If Schwartz plays as well as he can that's a massive boost to our OL and will help Pugh, or Beatty if we add a LT next summer, at RT. Pugh will naturally improve as he gets more experience, and is hopefully moved inside to guard by a new addition. Richburg will grow a lot from this rookie year whether he takes over for Walton at C right away of not. So next season the OL should be much more talented, on top of being better gelled with the skill guys better understanding how to use the new scheme and talent. If we add just one more guy of the caliber schwartz can be and they gelled quickly; that would make our OL become a true strength, but even that won't fix our offense on it's own, we'll still need to add at least one more big play threat now that unCruz can't help ODB.

That's why despite my general "get the QB, build from the trenches and then add stud DBs/pass-catchers" ethos, I like that we took ODB over the OL. The OL is still a work in progress, but it's well on it's way to being fixed and won't need an absolutely premium asset to get there. Meanwhile ODB can give us a special weapon to anchor our passing attack, and we needed a lot more to re-load on offensive playmakers than we did to fix up the OL, especially in light of what's gone on this season.

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        I think that would be the plan honestly. If TC is gone, whoever is the next HC will probably be forced to keep Eli (which they should) and McAdoo at OC.

I could see that, but I think it's more likely they force TC to make a change on D like they did with the offense. This year has/will show us some things, and the roster's coming together if we can have a strong offseason. So if the offense keeps growing, and Schwartz's return has the impact i hope it can, I think it's likely they want to keep the Eli-TC-BMA triumvirate together with a shake up on D hopefully having similar impacts to freshen those schemes up.

Maybe it's someone they think can take over for TC if they need to make a change the season after that, but I don't think we see a HC change unless the team just packs it in and collapses, forcing a move. And I just don't think that'll happen with the way our schedule goes full blown cupcake for over a month.
                        Talkin bought Brodie

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                        We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.

Comment

• RB Andre Brown has finished his 8 game suspension and is free to sign as a free agent.

is he worth a look

Comment

• I don't think Coughlin should go anywhere.

I think McAdoo's offence is working and will be quite effective once it is well embedded and McAdoo has more experience calling plays.

I do think we need a shake up defensively and on ST

Comment

• Simply put, no.
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
                                I could see that, but I think it's more likely they force TC to make a change on D like they did with the offense. This year has/will show us some things, and the roster's coming together if we can have a strong offseason. So if the offense keeps growing, and Schwartz's return has the impact i hope it can, I think it's likely they want to keep the Eli-TC-BMA triumvirate together with a shake up on D hopefully having similar impacts to freshen those schemes up.
                                I do think you may be on the money there.

So if we do shake things up on defence, what Coaches should we keep?

What kind of system would you like to see us use?

It looks to me that there will be a big shake up on our defensive roster anyway.
                                We have Rolle, JPP, Brown, Demps, Thurmond, Patterson, Williams, Paysinger and Herzlich off contract
                                Beason is likely done unless he takes a pay cut (we save $5m in cap room if we designate him as a june 1 cut like we did with Baas) as is Kiwanuka (we save $4.825m in cap room)

It looks to me like there are plenty of options on the table for us defensively, regardless of what happens, we will be reloading talent to some degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information