Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You still need to fill out a practice squad. Even if they don't get reps at all during training camp this year, those practice squad guys get reps during the week inseason. And then we'd have first refusal at them next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
      You still need to fill out a practice squad. Even if they don't get reps at all during training camp this year, those practice squad guys get reps during the week inseason. And then we'd have first refusal at them next season.
      Yes, but still doesn't make sense to just bring anyone in. You need a PS, however during the season those guys are playing scout team, and thus running other team's offenses or defenses, not yours. My point is bringing in anyone makes no sense. Coaches will have a hard enough time developing and coaching up core players.

Comment

• If Dawkins is a cap casualty of the Broncos, I'd LOVE for us to bring him in as our 3rd safety.

He'll bring in the type of leadership we need. And he's basically a linebacker nowadays anyway, so he'd fit the 3rd safety role.

I doubt he'd ever sign with us, bc he's too loyal to Philly to ever do that, but it would be worth a shot to see if he'd come aboard. He wouldn't be expensive either.

Comment

• No thanks. He's a scumbag and I don't want him near our players.
          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Brian Dawkins?

Why is he a scum bag?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Brian Dawkins?

Why is he a scum bag?
              By far one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. I'll never forgive him for that late late late hit on Hilliard.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                By far one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. I'll never forgive him for that late late late hit on Hilliard.
                To be honest, we need more physicality on defense, I feel we're too finesse on defense, we need a mean streak. In 07 and 08, our defense was much more physical. Our team in general, even our offense has gotten more finesse, the oline in particular.

And if you want to be a physical team, you need some dirty guys. I'm not saying we need to be the Titans, but you need a couple of grimey guys to set the tone.

We need better tackling in general, and nastier linebackers. I think that's the main issue with our defense in terms of toughness.

Comment

• I don't know I just think we need to stay healthy and the rest will take care of itself. The leadership/toughness thing has been way overblown I feel like.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Our defense folds when things start going bad. While I agree that leadership is generally overrated, we do lack that guy that will get us to refocus when the damn looks like it's about to break.

Strahan and Pierce used to be that guy. Instead, now our quiet leaders just sit and watch the damn break.

When things are going great, our defense is great. But we need that guy to get everyone's spirits up and refocused when they start playing like crap.

Comment

• The defense collapsed under Strahan multiple times also. Let's not forget the Minny and SF games in the playoffs.
                      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• That's true.

Can we sign Spagnuolo in FA? :(

God I miss him.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                          That's true.

Can we sign Spagnuolo in FA? :(

God I miss him.
                          Bingo. That's the problem right now we just don't have anyone as good as Spags. I miss him also. I wonder if Coughlin retires if he would leave the Rams to come back. I highly doubt that though.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                            Bingo. That's the problem right now we just don't have anyone as good as Spags. I miss him also. I wonder if Coughlin retires if he would leave the Rams to come back. I highly doubt that though.
                            Doubt it. He's got a good thing going on in St. Louis. He's got a franchise qb, a great oline, he's got a promising young duo of DEs in Long and Quinn, a promising young MIKE in Laurinitis, he's going to do good things over there in time.

We just need to find another guy like him. They are just so hard to find though. Especially for a 4-3 defense. Most blitzing coordinators run a 34 now.

I want our next head coach to be a defensive guy so we have some continuity on defense. Hand Eli the keys on offense, bring consistency on defense, and we'll be better for it as long as he's a good coach.

Comment

• For the immediate future, we just have to hope Fewell can hold us down.

The thing that scares me is, Fewell got figured out halfway through the season. And after he got figured out, his adjustments were mediocre. He reverted back to more Tampa 2 and Cover 3, and he got torched for it.

His blitzes were unique at first, but got figured out and he didn't cook up anything new. So I was disappointed in his zone blitz schemes for the fact that he wasn't able to come up with any new wrinkles to trick offenses after his zone blitzes were figured out.

And bc he couldn't cook up new blitzes, he went back to his Tampa stuff in the 2nd half of the season and the results showed.

Hopefully with a year under the system, the players will work better in the scheme and Fewell will do more with his players since he knows them better now.

That's all we can hope for. And hopefully he trusts our secondary more and blitzes more.

Comment

• Yeah I agree with everything in those 2 posts. Eli should pretty much run the offense at this point like Peyton does. I don't think Coughlin has any plans to retire soon so I don't even know where to start looking for a defensive minded HC.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information