Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't quite understand the Jerrigan pick, when Victor Cruz showed us so much as a potential slot WR last year plus we have Barden in the wings.

I figured Jerrigan to be a punt returner for the immediate future.

I don't think Hixon makes the team. I don't see how he does. Jerrigan will take over his kick/punt return duties, and we have Nicks, Smith, Mario, Barden, Jerrigan, Cruz, all most likely making the team. That's 6 right there.

I think Devin Thomas will make the 7th spot as a special teams ace.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      I didn't quite understand the Jerrigan pick, when Victor Cruz showed us so much as a potential slot WR last year plus we have Barden in the wings.

I figured Jerrigan to be a punt returner for the immediate future.

I don't think Hixon makes the team. I don't see how he does. Jerrigan will take over his kick/punt return duties, and we have Nicks, Smith, Mario, Barden, Jerrigan, Cruz, all most likely making the team. That's 6 right there.

I think Devin Thomas will make the 7th spot as a special teams ace.
      well I have a feeling Mario may very well be gone after this year. Some team is going to throw big money at him and he's gonna bolt. Jernigan is the speedster that could replace him. And Cruz is nice and all, but I am really loving Jernigans playmaking ability and explosiveness. He's more explosive than Cruz. And I think we're going to have a very good punt returner for the first time...**** probably since Ron Dixon. (excluding Hixon). And I think we're realizing Barden just...isn't that good. He's a red zone threat and really poor, poor mans Plaxico.
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

• Barden needs to stay healthy. If he's hurt this season too, then maybe it's time to move on.

His biggest issue has been health. I can't remember the last time he was healthy.

Comment

• Well this is Barden's third year, and that's usually make or break time for NFL receivers. I guess it's all up to what he shows us this year.

He wasn't bad when he played just got injured, but he can't have that happen to him again.

I loved this guy coming out, and was really happy we drafted him, but right now he's starting to get frustrating. I hope the best for him, and I pray he can develop into a mini-Plax.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

• Relax guys that Foreskins fan said they signed a 10 plus sack guy in Barry Cofield. End of discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Barden needs to stay healthy. If he's hurt this season too, then maybe it's time to move on.

His biggest issue has been health. I can't remember the last time he was healthy.
              I think I read he's already starting the season on PUP. So he won't count against the roster for a little bit. Don't know how long he is expected to miss though.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBCX View Post
                Why would I want to use a site that subjectively grades players when instead I can show you actual, you know, statistics that describe a player's performance?

Did you not read what footballoutsiders posted? 3.2 yards per pass. That means he allowed fewer yards per pass than ANY other CB in football. He simply did not give up completions of any note last year. He was excellent in coverage. If you watched any Eagles games, you'd agree.

I don't even understand, how as a Giants fan you could possibly say Asante gets "burnt" because every time the Giants play the Eagles, the only time Eli ever throws to Asante's side anymore the football is usually coming back in the opposite direction and the Eagles offense takes over, right?
                One year doesn't negate a career. Asante had a hugely productive year, but just because you didn't get burned biting on things doesn't mean you weren't making mistakes and Asante was just being Asante and it worked great last year, the years before, not so much. So if Eli's not throwing to confused receivers who don't know where they'll be I'm not as concerned about Asante as I am Aso. Nicks - Aso, Smith - Samuel and Mario/Barden - DRC is a match up I'm not too opposed to. Smith won't be stupid like many past giants receivers Asante has had to "cover", Nicks can get some work done against Aso and Mario/Barden can burn DRC if he's being over aggressive. I like the way we match up even with Asante coming off of one of the best years of his career.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                Originally posted by JBCX
                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by JBCX View Post
                  Numbers don't lie either.

If the numbers say that a CB held opposing passers to 3.2 yards per attempt... what that means is that you take the yardage total for all passes attempted in his vicinity, and then you divide that number by the number of attempts made. Easy, right? If *any* long completions were made, or even multiple long completions, it would skew the final figure and inflate it to reflect that. The fact that his total yards per attempt given up is as low as 3.2 means that Samuel simply did not give up many, if any at all, long completions. And the fact that 3.2 yards per attempt is the lowest of *ALL* cornerbacks in the NFL means that he was, basically, the best cover cornerback in the entire NFL last year.

Why is it so hard to respect stats in this game? Either he gave up a bunch of completions, and it would show in that figure, or he didn't. Period. You don't need to watch every game to understand that statistic and what it means.

No. They don't lie, but they can be molded to fit any argument. Soon, people just focus on that. Like I said no one specific, I am just talking in general here. But you get guys who post who just use those damn sites as their mode of making cases. Just stats and stats alone. I am saying that I find annoying.

And if you are lucky enough, you may find 2 fans who use stats debating. I am telling you now that's stupid to watch. You need a forensic accountant to weed through the numbers.

Again, I didn't read what you two are talking about. I just saw those damn links, and it reminded me of a pet peeve about stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    One year doesn't negate a career. Asante had a hugely productive year, but just because you didn't get burned biting on things doesn't mean you weren't making mistakes and Asante was just being Asante and it worked great last year, the years before, not so much. So if Eli's not throwing to confused receivers who don't know where they'll be I'm not as concerned about Asante as I am Aso. Nicks - Aso, Smith - Samuel and Mario/Barden - DRC is a match up I'm not too opposed to. Smith won't be stupid like many past giants receivers Asante has had to "cover", Nicks can get some work done against Aso and Mario/Barden can burn DRC if he's being over aggressive. I like the way we match up even with Asante coming off of one of the best years of his career.
                    And remember on the Raiders Aso did not shadow the #1 receiver he strictly played one side, we'll see if the Eagles continue to do this or not. If they continue to keep Aso on one side we can easily mix and match receivers along the field, and we have enough solid ones to keep the Eagles off-balance. If the Eagles decide to make Aso shadow most of the time we'll see if he is just as effective he was in Oakland.

One way or another, Aso will have the ball thrown at him much more this year, and though I expect him to perform very well, I don't think we see the dominance he displayed in Oakland.

But I am still a bit paranoid by him; Zach Miller would be the perfect kryptonite to that secondary. ;)

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

• I don't get why we went after Plax in the first place, I love the guy, but he's old and hasn't played in 2 years, we already have Nicks, Mario, Jernigan, Barden, Cruz, Hixon, Calhoun, Thomas and we wanna bring back Smith...were does he fit in all that?

Right now I think we just have too much of the same type of receiver and the pick or Jernigan only adds to the log jam. Smith, Mario, Cruz, Jernigan, Hixon, Calhoun. Do we really need all of them? Our WRs should look like this: Nicks, Smith, Mario, Barden, Cruz, Thomas(ST). That Jernigan pick is really starting to annoy me. I'm all for drafting value, but maybe we should make sure they will be able to see the field before we take them. I don't care if Cam Newton fell to us, you don't take him because you have Eli Manning. At least if your gonna take a WR, don't take a clone of what we already have.

If the FO was serious about going after Plax and feels we need another WR, why not go after Braylon Edwards? We went after him twice so far in his career and he wants to stay in NY. Braylon opposite of Nicks with Smith in the slot sounds damn fine to me, until I think of the others. Were does that leave Mario, Cruz, Barden, Jernigan and the others? I don't feel like our only reliable WR is Nicks, but adding another receiver only adds to the mess we have there right now.

/rant
                      Last edited by OSUGiants17; 07-31-2011, 11:32 AM.

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Well I can't hate too much on the Jernigan pick. Hixon will probably be cut as a result, and bye-bye to Reynaud's 5 yard returns. I think Jernigan's value as a returner is what made Reese select him.

I feel right now our WRs will end up like this:

Hakeem, Manningham, Smith, Barden, Cruz, Jernigan, and Thomas (ST)

7 guys is a lot but that's what we are looking at this year. Hagan will have a chance its between him and Thomas in my opinion. Plaxico would have made this even worse, I am sort of glad we didn't sign him. Don't forget this position was absolutely decimated by injuries last year, and it seems like both Barden and Steve Smith aren't 100% so technically we will have 5 guys ready to go.

Bone Krusher, the best

Comment

• Jernigan was a very good pick. He automatically becomes our best return man and adds to an already deep WR corps.
                          #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• With the Titans signing Ruud to a one year deal, were does that leave Stephen Tulloch? Poz and Ruud are gone now. Manny and Tulloch are both still available and don't appear to be going back to their teams

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Originally posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
                              With the Titans signing Ruud to a one year deal, were does that leave Stephen Tulloch? Poz and Ruud are gone now. Manny and Tulloch are both still available and don't appear to be going back to their teams
                              Tulloch is a Detroit Lion.

Lofa Tatupu might be getting released though.

Comment

• Originally posted by LTgiants View Post
                                Tulloch is a Detroit Lion.

Lofa Tatupu might be getting released though.
                                When did that happen? I have been looking to see if he was signed and found nothing. What about Lawson and McIntosh?

SPLOOSH

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information