Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is all "in theory" of course. We've been trying to do this with our SAMs for ages. Even under Tim Lewis. First we tried using Lavar that way, then we tried using Kiwi that way, then Sintim, now Kiwi again.

Of course, in theory and practical application are 2 different things. We never blitzed Lavar under Lewis, Kiwi got hurt before we could see how he worked out at SAM the first time, and Sintim is struggling to adapt to the system.

So I'm not saying it's going to work, but this idea isn't new. We've been trying this for awhile.

Comment

• Yeah it makes the most sense also for the personnel that we have. I'm starting to think JPP and Joseph are both going to blow this up year but I want to see them in some game action soon. It might also be me trying control by really negative thoughts on this year. This is the most pessimistic I've been going into a Giants season in forever and I'm not really sure why I feel this way.
      #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I'm very superstitious, so I'll keep my opinion on our season to myself.

I do think this Kiwi experiment will work this time. He's made significant strides at LB. And he's smooth, he can sink his hips, he's huge, he can stuff the run, he can tackle, he's legit now. I think that's why they're doing it.

I really hope JPP and Joseph can really work on their technique during camp this year. Both are physical specimens, but both have a long way to go as far as technique is concerned.

Comment

• Was looking at our schedule for this year. Could see us going anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5

WEEK 1: Sunday, Sept. 11: Giants at Redskins, 4:15 p.m. - W

WEEK 2: Monday, Sept. 19: Rams at Giants, 8:30 p.m. - W

WEEK 3: Sunday, Sept. 25: Giants at Eagles, 1 p.m. - L

WEEK 4: Sunday, Oct. 2: Giants at Cardinals, 4:05 p.m. - W

WEEK 5: Sunday, Oct. 9: Seahawks at Giants, 1 p.m. - W

WEEK 6: Sunday, Oct. 16: Bills at Giants, 1 p.m. - W

WEEK 7: Sunday, Oct. 23: BYE

WEEK 8: Sunday, Oct. 30: Dolphins at Giants, 1 p.m. - W

WEEK 9: Sunday, Nov. 6: Giants at Patriots, 4:15 p.m. - L

WEEK 10: Sunday, Nov. 13: Giants at 49ers, 4:15 p.m. - W

WEEK 11: Sunday, Nov. 20: Eagles at Giants, 8:20 p.m. - At home, maybe we beat the Eagles?

WEEK 12: Monday, Nov. 28: Giants at Saints, 8:30 p.m. - Tough game, could go either way

WEEK 13: Sunday, Dec. 4: Packers at Giants, 4:15 p.m. - Got them at home so could go either way

WEEK 14: Sunday, Dec. 11: Giants at Cowboys, 8:20 p.m. - Tough being in Dallas, could go either way

WEEK 15: Sunday, Dec. 18: Redskins at Giants, 1 p.m. - W

WEEK 16: Saturday, Dec. 24: Giants at Jets, 1 p.m. - Could go either way

WEEK 17: Sunday, Jan. 1: Cowboys at Giants, 1 p.m. - W

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Do you think maybe we can tempt the Pats into giving up one of their 1st round picks, whether it be their own or the Saints, both of which should be late, for Osi? He's a pass rusher they sorely need and they are rumored to be moving back to more of a 4-3 look and if you can throw Osi, Wilfork, Haynesworth and Ellis on the same line together, wow. Thoughts? That's the one team I could see maybe biting.

Comment

• Originally posted by DI View Post
              Do you think maybe we can tempt the Pats into giving up one of their 1st round picks, whether it be their own or the Saints, both of which should be late, for Osi? He's a pass rusher they sorely need and they are rumored to be moving back to more of a 4-3 look and if you can throw Osi, Wilfork, Haynesworth and Ellis on the same line together, wow. Thoughts? That's the one team I could see maybe biting.
              No, Belichick covets draft picks like nobody else.
              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• The Pats trading away a pick???? Not a chance, theyre the type of team that stocks up on picks.

SPLOOSH

Comment

• Not much is being made of it, but it doesn't sound like Eli is having a great camp so far.

To be fair, our secondary is very very good. But still. I'd like to read one practice report where Eli lit them up, and that hasn't happened yet.

I like what I'm reading about Beatty, but one thing did concern me. They said one blitz, Boley and I forget who else went on either side of Beatty, and Beatty couldn't decide which one to pick up and wound up not picking up either of them.

Resulted in an INT. In a real game, it could have resulted in worse.

My main issue with Beatty during PS last year (aside from his frame) was recognition of his assignments. He blew his assignment quite often, and struggled with blitzes. If that continues, we're going to have a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    Not much is being made of it, but it doesn't sound like Eli is having a great camp so far.

To be fair, our secondary is very very good. But still. I'd like to read one practice report where Eli lit them up, and that hasn't happened yet.

I like what I'm reading about Beatty, but one thing did concern me. They said one blitz, Boley and I forget who else went on either side of Beatty, and Beatty couldn't decide which one to pick up and wound up not picking up either of them.

My main issue with Beatty during PS last year (aside from his frame) was recognition of his assignments. He blew his assignment quite often, and struggled with blitzes. If that continues, we're going to have a problem.
                    Eli seems to having a fine camp except for yesterday which for some reason the secondary was all wound up. He's the last person we have to worry about.
                    Last edited by Giantsfan1080; 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      Not much is being made of it, but it doesn't sound like Eli is having a great camp so far.

Eh? I've read quite a few training camp reports that said Eli looked good. I was actually excited because of how good it sounded like he was throwing the ball.
                      (shameless self-promotion)
                      Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• I'm not worried about Eli at all. I just want to see him light it up one practice is all.

I really wish Barden would get his ass off the bike. I really want to see him this PS. He's never healthy for games, it's so frustrating. We need a 3rd WR to emerge too.

Hopefully Cruz steps up to the plate.

Comment

• So what'd you guys think? I didn't get to see the last quarter (DVR'd it, going to watch it later) but overall I liked a lot of what I saw.

Beatty seemed to hold his own and do so impressively. I still think his run blocking is only average, but honestly I think we can get away with it as we have several maulers on the line to handle that, and his main goal is to keep Eli standing up.

Favorite part of last night was JPP by far. He's really hard not to like as a player. They mentioned it on the broadcast but he is fun to watch because he has a non-stop motor when he plays. I'm not even necessarily talking about the sacks either, as he was going up against Gross early and often and was getting pressure. I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

Honestly, I thought all the WR's looked good for the most part. Hixon is probably the front runner to take the slot position. He looked really good last night I thought. Nicks is what he is: a beast. I loved when Carolina tried to use press coverage on him and he just shrugged the DB off like he was nothing. He's so damn strong. I liked what Devin Thomas showed too. I was really big on him coming out of college, so I'm hoping he can step up, in addition to his special teams play.

As for the other guys, I'm just not sure they got enough snaps to be noticed as much. Victor Cruz made a great play on special teams which probably doesn't hurt his chances for being on the roster. I'm kind of wondering who will be the odd man out this year.

Secondary looks good. Carolina broke off a couple runs but I feel like we kept them contained for the most part. I didn't get as good a look as I wanted at some of the LBers and DT's. Hoping you guys can enlighten me more in that regard, haha.
                          (shameless self-promotion)
                          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

• I have to go back and watch again but some quick hits:

-JPP is a beast. I can't wait to see what this guy does this year. I almost want him to start over Osi. If he plays like that all season, hell, he probably should. Of course he won't, but still, you can't help but get excited about him. He's going to be a monster.

-Joseph looked beastly too. He's an upgrade over Coffield. He's the NT we've been looking for.

-Kiwi looked a little lost in coverage and he didn't beat his man on the blitz as much as I'd like. He needs more practice. But so far the early results from that aren't looking too hot.

-Austin had his ups and downs. He'll be a good player. I liked his motor.

-Brewer is a monster of a man but really needs work. Project, but he could pan out to be a good project in our farm system.

-Piss poor tackling. I'll cough it up to PS, but I want to see that cleaned up.

-Special teams is horrible. That's a concern. No one stays in their lanes.

-Didn't like the coverage schemes. But it's PS, so I don't expect us to run those soft zones in the regular season.

-Ross looked bad. Sash had his ups and downs.

-LB could be a problem again. Issues like that don't fix themselves. We need a linebacker.

-Jacobs looks good. Our RB stable looks good. Oline needs more time to gel.

-WR core looks average. Nicks is a beast, Mario is inconsistent, nobody emerged as a solid 3 yet. I know Hixon had a good game, but he did it vs off coverage. Every time he was pressed, he couldn't separate. That's always been his problem and that won't change.

-Eli wasn't particularly accurate.

I need to watch the game a couple of times to get a real good gauge of it but so far that's my initial thoughts.

Comment

• How Personnel Packages work. PP from PS game 1 NYG/PAN

Here are some personnel packages we used last night.. We saw a mix of skill players getting moved around playing the X, Z, Y positions. As you can see this analysis gives us good insight as to what the coaches are thinking when they move players around within the personnel groupings of this offensive system.

When the avg fan thinks of WRs, and the "lineup" they think it's a linear type function. For example:

# 1 - Nicks
                              # 2 - Manningham
                              # 3 - Hixon, Darius R., Cruz, Devin T

And let's say Hixon wins the # 3 spot. Fans tend to think this is it. Always when we go 3 wide it's going to be this specific line up everytime.

However, in any offense from HS or D3 to NFL, you have a bunch of personnel groupings used within an offensive system, which gets installed each week.

So the above grouping can be designated:

"REGULAR"

So when we call a play, and say REGULAR, I PRO Slot left.

That means we are using REGULAR personnel group. We could use another one where things are moved around. For example,

"SPEED"

X - Nicks
                              Z - Hixon
                              Y - Manningham

So now the "slot" is Manningham. During the course of the game people are getting moved around. I have seen Plax in the slot, Toomer in the slot, and so on.

Here are a bunch..

1st Team:

Formation: Weak I Left

2 WR ; 1 FB ; 1 RB ; 1 TE

X - Nicks
                              Z - Manningham
                              Y - Ballard

# 2 Back - Bear P
                              # 3 Back - Bradshaw

Formation: Ace - Double Tight

2 WR ; 1 RB ; 2 TE ; 0 FB

X - Nicks
                              Z - Manningham
                              Y1 - BP
                              Y2 - Ballard

Formation: Shotgun Left - Trips Right

4 WR ; 0 TE ; 1 RB ; 0 FB

X - Nicks
                              Z - Hixon
                              F/H ( Inside WR Position) - Manningham
                              Y - Bear P

Formation: I Pro Left

2 WR ; 1 TE; 1 RB ; 1 FB

X - Nicks
                              Z - Manningham
                              Y - Bear P.

Formation: Shotgun - Splitback Slot Left

3 WR ; 2 RB ; 0 TE ; 0 FB

X - Nicks
                              Z - Hixon
                              Y - Manningham

# 2 - Ware
                              # 3 - Bradshaw

Formation: I Pro Right Wing Right

1 WR ; 2 TE ; 1 FB ; 1 RB

X - Nicks
                              Y1 - Ballard
                              Y2 - # 48

# 2 - Bear P
                              # 3 - Bradshaw

X - Nicks
                              Z - Hixon
                              F/H - Manningham
                              Y - Bear P

2nd UNIT

Formation: Strong I Left

2 WR ; 1 TE ; 1 FB ; 1 RB

X - Hixon
                              Z - Cruz
                              Y - Bear P

# 2 - # 41
                              # 3 - ??

Formation: Ace - Slot Left Strong Right

3 WR ; 1 Rb ; 1 TE ; 0 FB

X - Hixon
                              Z - Darius R.
                              F/H - Cruz
                              Y - Bear P

X - Hixon
                              Z - Darius R
                              F/H - Cruz
                              Y - Bear P

Formation: Weak I Left

2 WR ; 1 FB ; 1 RB ; 1 TE

X - Darius
                              Z - Hixon
                              Y - Bear P

# 2 Back - # 41
                              # 3 Back - ??

Darius starts out as X however this play has TE motion making the TE go from the left to the right the formation. This causes Darius to be Z and Hixon to be X, which would make sense because when Plax went down Hixon was the backup X. As you can see, he played X a lot this game.

Formation: Ace - Double Tight

2 WR ; 1 RB ; 2 TE ; 0 FB

X - Devin Thomas
                              Z - Cruz
                              Y1 - ?
                              Y2 - # 46

Comment

• Preseason game 1: Giants-Panthers Formation Guide

Here are the formations used tonight. The coverage was so ****** tonight. Camera man focusing on the ball, player's asses or faces, while the play is being ran. So you missed what formations were called on a bunch.

Anyways, I counted 64 total plays. I tried to write before the ball was snapped so some might be off. I recorded the game, but don't feel like watching that **** over again unless I think of something.

Summary:

We basically lived in the "I Formation" family of formations. We saw a lot of Y Trips and regular Trips. We stuck with our Ace - Double slot too. When we wanted to go 3 WR, we went with Quads Right.

Hope this helps in comparing this to other games.

1. Strong I Right
                                2. Weak I Left
                                3. Strong I Right
                                4 Weak I Left
                                5 Ace - Double Tight
                                6 Shotgun - Y Trips Right
                                7 Bad Camera Angle so I missed it
                                8 I Pro Left
                                9 Split Back Slot Left
                                10 I Pro Right Wing Right
                                11 Double Slot ???
                                12 Y Trips Right
                                13 ????
                                14 I Pro Right
                                15 Shotgun - Y Trips Right
                                16 I Pro Left, motion TE ---& gt; I Pro Right
                                17 I Pro Left
                                18 Shotgun - Quads Right (TE Right, Slot Left)
                                19 2nd UNIT I Pro Left Wing Left
                                20 Weak I Right
                                21 Single Back (Ace) - Strong Right, Slot Left
                                22 Shotgun Left - Y Trips Right
                                23 Strong I Right
                                24 I Pro Right
                                25 I Pro Right
                                26 Shotgun - Quads Right
                                27 Shotgun - Quads Right
                                28 Shotgun - Y Trips Left
                                29 Shotgun Left - Quads Right
                                30 Shotgun Left - Quads Right

HALFTIME

31 I Pro Right
                                32 Weak I Left
                                33 Weak I Left, Motion FB Left ----& gt; Strong I Left
                                34 Strong I Right, Motion FB Left -----& gt; Weak I Right
                                35 Shotgun - Trips Right Empty
                                36 Play in Action - Victor Cruz Highlight
                                37 Shotgun - Double Slot
                                38 Shotgun - Bunch Right
                                39 Ace - Double Tight
                                40 I Pro Left
                                41 I Pro Left
                                42 I Pro Right
                                43 Shotgun left - Double Slot
                                44 Ace - Double Tight
                                45 I Pro Right
                                46 Bad Angle
                                47 Shotgun Right - Double Slot
                                48 Missed the play. I was posting.. Inc. pass though
                                49 I Pro right
                                50 Shotgun Left - Trips Left
                                51 Perriloux comes in: Strong I Left
                                52 Strong I Left
                                53 Strong I Left
                                54 Shotgun Left - Trips Right
                                55 Weak I Right
                                56 Weak I Right
                                57 Shotgun Right - Trips Left
                                58 Shotgun Left - Double Slot
                                59 Shotgun Left - Quads Right
                                60 Shotgun Left - Double Slot