Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York Giants Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whenever Boss/Shocking/NYG posts like that...it makes my fandom feel so inadequate. damn.

    also, there's this, courtsey of BBI:

    APTCan TOM CANAVAN
    Osi Umenyiora tells AP that he will practice with the Giants on Monday and that he will play under his old contract.

    ****. yes
    We ALL bleed scarlet
    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
      Whenever Boss/Shocking/NYG posts like that...it makes my fandom feel so inadequate. damn.

      also, there's this, courtsey of BBI:

      APTCan TOM CANAVAN
      Osi Umenyiora tells AP that he will practice with the Giants on Monday and that he will play under his old contract.

      ****. yes


      Just some of my stuff I did for the game. Also, I been seeing some stuff about the slot WR. So I wanted to address that via usage of personnel packages in football


      As for the Osi thing, this sums it up the best!

      Comment


      • haha i love that picture.

        and I think it was the JPP factor. With JPP looking super last night, Osi knows he's just losing leverage and fast. But you know what? Just get him on the field. Him, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP? yea, 4 aces coming at you. 3rd and longs are going to be a LOT of fun to watch
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          -Eli wasn't particularly accurate.
          That one throw to Nicks was right on the money and would have been a huge gain if the CB didn't interfere. No PI called. Refs were in preseason mode too.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
            haha i love that picture.

            and I think it was the JPP factor. With JPP looking super last night, Osi knows he's just losing leverage and fast. But you know what? Just get him on the field. Him, Kiwi, Tuck and JPP? yea, 4 aces coming at you. 3rd and longs are going to be a LOT of fun to watch
            Hahaha me too! I see it posted on BBI at times, so I thought I'd post it. It's a great picture. Makes me laugh all the time.

            Perhaps JPP playing well caused him to want to play.

            Maybe lack of options now since his knee is fine so he can't have surgery.

            It just seems a little too quiet too soon after all the drama. Hence, I am very skeptical and my friend articulates my reaction perfectly! Haha

            Comment


            • Whether you call it slot or Y, there isn't much of a difference in more basic formations, I'm not in love with Manningham playing that position. Maybe I've just been spoiled with Smith's route running but Mario rounds off his routes way too much. It allowed a CB to make a play on the ball in the first quarter. Smith shakes that CB.
              Last edited by Jughead10; 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                Whether you call it slot or Y, there is much of a difference in more basic formations, I'm not in love with Manningham playing that position. Maybe I've just been spoiled with Smith's route running but Mario rounds off his routes way too much. It allowed a CB to make a play on the ball in the first quarter. Smith shakes that CB.
                Slot can be Y if there is no TE.. TE is normally Y.

                If there is a TE then it could labeled F or H, hence F/H. Depends on the system you are in.

                Not to pick on you, you know I think you are a good poster, but that's always an interesting fan comment. Making blanket statements on route running. The truth is you nor I have the WR route book. So we don't know how it's written. Also, there is a degree of real time, I guess margin for error. These are human beings in a specific system where you have to use your brain with choice and option routes. These guys are not robots.

                An example would be my TEs. Now this is D3, but this happens across all levels. An under route is a route where you literally are running behind the heels of the DL. So perhaps 2-3 yard depth and fast, and don't gain depth.

                I ran that with my group and everyone ran it perfectly in practice. Come game day.... It was comical! I had my guys gaining depth on it. Some of the plays we scored and it was great.

                But the avg fan had no clue is my point. Some routes are drawn up differently, the main thing is to focus on the WR book and see what it says. Since the system is hard stuff that like may be forgiven if the read is right. You can run robotic routes, but if you can't understand the choice and option routes than it's pointless.

                I remember reading Smith doing his own thing and finding the soft spot. That can be a bad thing if you are not teaching it, but if the concept of the read is right, and he is being creative and its working, then the route itself doesn't matter, because the read was right.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
                  Slot can be Y if there is no TE.. TE is normally Y.

                  If there is a TE then it could labeled F or H, hence F/H. Depends on the system you are in.

                  Not to pick on you, you know I think you are a good poster, but that's always an interesting fan comment. Making blanket statements on route running. The truth is you nor I have the WR route book. So we don't know how it's written. Also, there is a degree of real time, I guess margin for error. These are human beings in a specific system where you have to use your brain with choice and option routes. These guys are not robots..
                  That's the issue right there.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                    That's the issue right there.

                    Haha, I was waiting for that.
                    #Chop


                    sig by BoneKrusher

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                      Haha, I was waiting for that.
                      It's the truth though. Even if he was a genius, I still think his skill set is best used outside the hash marks. Obviously him and Smith are very different players. We are going to need someone to help fill at least some of the hole Smith's departure has created. I just don't think Mario is that guy. Let Mario be Mario and hopefully Hixon or someone else can step up in that role.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        That's the issue right there.
                        That's the thing though. He hasn't done it wrong. If so, he would not be starting or even on the team if that's the case.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
                          That's the thing though. He hasn't done it wrong. If so, he would not be starting or even on the team if that's the case.
                          His talent gets him by. And from what I can see, correct me if I'm wrong as of course I don't have access to the playbook, but he seems to run the least option routes of anyone. At least last year. I'm sure that will probably have to change with Smith gone.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            His talent gets him by. And from what I can see, correct me if I'm wrong as of course I don't have access to the playbook, but he seems to run the least option routes of anyone. At least last year. I'm sure that will probably have to change with Smith gone.
                            I am not sure about the option route thing. I don't want to speculate, but if they put you in the slot and outside, then they have to have faith in you.

                            Doesn't matter how much talent you have. If you can't run the right route, you won't play. The fact he is playing.... starting....AND playing two different positions with different trees AND adjustments and rules, is a big thing.

                            The coaches trust him, yet the fans don't for reason. I find that interesting.

                            Comment


                            • Man, I can't believe how good JPP looks. Did any one of you guys actually like the pick when he was drafted? I know every Giants fan I knew around that time almost universally hated the pick because JPP looked like a classic bust.

                              Comment


                              • I hated it for 2 reasons: I'm a believer in production in college, which was one off jpp's biggest knocks...and that he was from usf. I also thought de wasn't a need, but that was also hoping sintim would pan out an osi, tuck and kiwi would be our de's.
                                We ALL bleed scarlet
                                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information