No announcement yet.

New York Mets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just glad we have a true ace right now. The rotation is shaping up very well right now, plus considering players returning from injuries the bullpen figures to get better as well.

Its a shame we dont have lastings milledge anymore tho. Mixed opinions on him, but i liked him and i dont like the return..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

• Originally posted by Average OT LB View Post
      I'm just glad we have a true ace right now. The rotation is shaping up very well right now, plus considering players returning from injuries the bullpen figures to get better as well.

Its a shame we dont have lastings milledge anymore tho. Mixed opinions on him, but i liked him and i dont like the return..
      I liked Milledge's game but his attitude remained a question that is impossible for fans to analyze. His time in Washington should show us his true colors though because there is very little vet leadership there, and sharing an OF with Elijah Dukes will test Milledge's personal accountability greatly.

Other then that I do think we did pretty well in that trade. I think Church will be Nady-esque (less power, better D and BA) and I think Schneider will be a good addition. I always liked his game although he has regressed at the plate. Getting an ace like Santana really improves the team in a multitude of ways. Our BP and lineup will have a much lighter burden and our starting rotation is now among the best in the whole ML.

Comment

• We didn't get Santana yet. We still have to agree on the contract with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
          Perhaps. Unless you're more interested in Britney Spears' latest outburst. :)

WOW, that's a HUGE package to give up. I was VERY high on both Gomez and Guerra.

I hope Santana continues to be great and for AWHILE.

I argree 100%.

Comment

• What is our status on relief pitching as of now?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
              What is our status on relief pitching as of now?
              Mota is gone. That's an upgrade by itself.

If Duener Sanchez can return to form, we might be in good shape.

Wagner and Heilman need to pitch like they should.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexDown View Post
                What is our status on relief pitching as of now?
                Heilman, Feliciano, Schoenweis, Wagner will almost definitely be back. That leaves 3 remaining spots.

The favorites -

Jorge Sosa will probably get the long man/spot starter role. If Pelfrey wins the 5th starter spot, that role could go to El Duque. I think Joe Smith will have a bounce back season after a terrific 1st half and then a 2nd half meltdown.

The Last Spot -

The last spot will likely be a battle of a few guys coming off of injuries who have been good in the past (Duaner Sanchez, Juan Padilla) and ST fodder guys (Ricardo Rincon, Matt Wise, Brian Stokes).

Overall -

As long as we get the contract with Santana taken care of, a huge burden will be taken off of the BP. 70-80 innings to be exact. 1 player's performance can make or break a BP. Wagner is a very good closer, but not elite. Heilman, Feliciano, and Shoenweis are all capable, but none of them are lights out. The wildcards for this BP to truly excel are Duaner Sanchez and Joe Smith. Over the first halfs of the last 2 seasons each has been our best pitcher out of the pen. If one of them can regain their top form and lock down the 8th inning, we will be ok. If both of them do this will be one of the deepest BPs in the NL. Juan Padilla and Ricardo Rincon also have the potential to suprise.

Comment

• I think Matt Wise and Joe Smith are going to be pretty good in the bullpen this year. They will not do any worse than Mota last year. As I've been saying since last year I want Pelfrey in the bullpen. I know control has been a little bit of a problem with him but I think making him come into a game will force him to throw more strikes. With that sinking fastball of his he'll be able to generate plenty of grounball out especially with our IF defense.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
                    I think Matt Wise and Joe Smith are going to be pretty good in the bullpen this year. They will not do any worse than Mota last year. As I've been saying since last year I want Pelfrey in the bullpen. I know control has been a little bit of a problem with him but I think making him come into a game will force him to throw more strikes. With that sinking fastball of his he'll be able to generate plenty of grounball out especially with our IF defense.
                    I dont disagree, but one thing I'm afraid of is his inexperience. Guys like John Smoltz can go from starter > relief > starter but i dont think Pelfrey can. he's having a hard enough time dealing with his own issues, I dont think that it would be wise to start him in another area. Plus, he has shown he is kinda slow to adjust, i would be worried about him trying to make the transition back.

For now i think its easiest to just start Pelfrey at the 5, move Hernandez into the pen and go from there. El duque has great stuff, but it would be easier to sacrifice his 5-6 inning work then it would to sacrifice Pelfrey's growth and development. I believe Peyton Manning when he said something to the effect of, you dont learn from the bench, you have to be in the game. And while AAA may not be the bench, it certainly isnt the game.

Those are my thoughts..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

• I'm also hoping that Brant Rustich and Eddie Kunz can advance quickly and maybe contribute next season.

Comment

I'm also hoping that Brant Rustich and Eddie Kunz can advance quickly and maybe contribute next season.
                        Im interested to see them in ST however I wouldn't let them start the year with the majors for 2 reasons.

1 - I dont want to see what happened to Joe Smith happen - dominate for 2 months, hit a wall at the same time as the league starts figuring them out, and then get completely lit up and lose all confidence. I would rather them work on a more regular schedule, get a chance to try some different roles in the minors, and work on whatever it is that Peterson tells them in ST.

2 - I like the idea of having an 'ace in the hole' so to speak. Let the young guys come along at their own pace and round the deadline if the need is there then I would bring them up and phase them in. Young guys are far more successful in their first pass through the league.

Comment

• How about a prediction of next year's lineup:

1. Reyes
                          2. Castillo
                          3. Beltran
                          4. Wright
                          5. Delgado
                          6. Alou
                          7. Church
                          8. Schnieder

Personally, I would bat Wright 3rd and Beltran 4th. D-dub is a better pure hitter then Tranny.

Comment

• For the bullpen, I'd go with:

Wagner
                            Heilman
                            Sanchez
                            Felicano
                            Show (Sadly enough)
                            Jorge Sosa
                            Joe Smith

I think El Duque will be the #5. Pelfrey will be up when one of our pitcher's goes down. This way Jorge Sosa can still be that guy who gives you 2 or 3 innings.

Comment

How about a prediction of next year's lineup:

1. Reyes
                              2. Castillo
                              3. Beltran
                              4. Wright
                              5. Delgado
                              6. Alou
                              7. Church
                              8. Schnieder

Personally, I would bat Wright 3rd and Beltran 4th. D-dub is a better pure hitter then Tranny.

Personally, I'd hit Johan ahead of Brian Schnieder. He's probably a better hitter at this point.

Comment

• I'd actually rather have Alou bat ahead of Delgado. I think he's a much better #5 hitter than Delgado at this point.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information