Jets Off Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets Off Season Thread

I saw the Ravens had a Cut/Keep thread, so I wanted to make one for the Jets, but I figured why not just make a thread for this off season.

Discuss Here!

Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Well, for starters we'll have to start looking for a new ST coach. I just heard that westhoff will be leaving due to medical and health issues. I wish him the best, because he was the best coach we've had for years and is one of the alltime great ST coaches.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

It's time to spend money... and a lot of it.

In my opinion, all of our FA money should go to OL.

Draft BPA every pick.

Comment

now for my get rid of/keep post.

injured reserve

QB - Kellen Clemens, Chad Pennington, Marques Tuiasosopo
        well this is obvious. Tui did not play this year, but from what i read in he had a good training camp and pre season. Clemens is the future (hopefully), so we'll see what he can do after an off season as a starter

RB - Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Stacey Tutt
        i think our running back situation is great, with a quality one-two punch. i'm mad we didn't sign Danny Ware though. Tutt did okay when he played

FB - Joe Kowalewski, Jason Pociask
        weird situation, because we started the season with Darien Barnes and Stacey Tutt, but they haven't been activated in a few weeks. both Kowalewski and Pociask fit our offense and work hard especially on special teams. i would not be surprised if we brought someone else in though

WR - Lavernues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Justin McCareins, Wallace Wright, Chris Davis, Chansi Stuckey
        Coles, Cotchery, and Smith will be a great top 3 receivers. Wright is a great special teamer and contributes on offense. McCareins was horrible this year, and Davis won't be on the roster because we have Stuckey on IR and we'll end up getting a WR in the draft or free agency

TE - Chris Baker, Sean Ryan, James Dearth
        Baker played well this season. Ryan did nothing and lost his role on our offense to Kowalewski and Pociask. Dearth is a great long snapper haha

OL - Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Brandon Moore, Anthony Clement, Adrien Clarke, Jacob Bender, Wade Smith, Will Montgomery, Adrian Jones
        very self explanatory. Mangold, Ferguson, and Moore are young decent to solid starters. Clement, Jones, and Clarke need to go. the other guys are quality back ups.

DL - Dwayne Robertson, Shaun Ellis, Kenyon Coleman, Siona Pouha, Kareem Brown, C.J. Mosley, Mike Devito
        to be honest with all the outcry about our poor defensive line, i wouldn't get rid of anyone we have. yes we need to add players that fit the system but the guys we have are either good or solid back ups. Robertson and Ellis are good enough to find a role in our defense.

LB - David Harris, Eric Barton, Victor Hobson, Bryan Thomas, David Bowens, Brad Kassell, Matt Chatham, Cody Spencer, Jonathon Vilma
        Harris was a great surprise. Barton, Hobson, and Thomas work for the defense but we need a playmaking OLB. Chatham will probably retire. Hopefully we can get something good out of Vilma

DB - Kerry Rhodes, Darrelle Revis, Abraham Elam, Eric Smith, Erik Coleman, David Barrett, Hank Poteat, Drew Coleman, Rashad Washington, Andre Dyson
        Rhodes and Revis are great. Elam and Smith are young guys with potential. Poteat, Washington, and D. Coleman are hard working backups. but Barrett, Dyson, and E Coleman need to go.

K - Mike Nugent
        duh

P - Ben Graham
        getting older but still does well. no reason to get rid of him

any thoughts?
        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

QB - Ok, well here we go. I fully agree with our QB situation. I expect penny to be shopped, but something that will work our for both teams. I plan on pennington and the FO working together to find a team for him to start with. He knows he wants to start for a team and i want this trade situation to be as amicable for both parties as possible. He has done so much for us that I feel we should and will do everything to make sure we get good value for him, but that he is in a situation that he wants to be in. I expect tui to stay and be a good 3rd stringer, but I would like to see if he has the ability to be a quality backup. I would also like to see what the situation is with kurt warner or another proven veteran. Clemens needs all the mentoring that he can get and it seems most will be a step down from chad. I have some faith in Clemens, but most of my hesitations come from the fact that he doesnt seem to comfortable stepping up in the pocket; i feel that will come with an improved offensive line. I sure hope schotty becomes more creative and can create an offense that is made for Clemens and not one made for chad that clemens runs

RB - TJ and Leon really proved to me that McFadden would be a luxury and is not a necessity like some beleive. With an improvement on the LG and RT positions are running game will only get that much better. If Leon isn't returning kicks next year, I want to see him get many more touches on offense. However, I want the touches to be creative plays and not the same "trick" plays 3 times in a row.

FB - I'm fine with our FB's, but i wouldn't mind seeing Owen Schmitt added in the late late rounds. We could improve our short game drastically with a bruising FB. Althoug he isn't the best runner or athlete, he lead the way for slaton the last couple of years. I see a mike alstott in him, but more from his attitude than his ability. Don't get me wrong, he will be a great blocking fullback who can occasionaly truck a 3rd and 1, but i dont see him being the HOF FB like alstott.

WR - This definately depends on what happens with coles. With coles, we are definately set, but will need to hopefully find his replacement this year or next so that we can groom him while we still have coles. Cotchery seems to be only getting better and has proven he can be a top #2 reciever and could possibly be a #1 one day. I never thought that he could be a #1, but a few games i think he has the potential. I like brad smith, but he needs to work on his hands more and should be used more creatively. I can't wait to see what stuckey can do, but i'm afraid that he is going to have a tough time staying on the field with all of his injuries. I would also like to see wallace wright get some more catches and Jmac has to leave. I wouldn't mind seeing a James hardy or WR added in round 2, but it all depends on what we address in FA.

TE - Chris baker has emerged as a solid TE and I still think he should be used more often, but due to our ineptitude on the Oline, he has had to block more often.

OL - Mangold, Ferguson, and Moore are young decent to solid starters. Clement, Jones, and Clarke need to go. the other guys are quality back ups. Dbrick and mangold are anchors on our oline, whereas Brandon Moore is a decent starter who could be an excellent backup. Clarke and Clement must go. Even though i like the play of montgomery, he isn't the starter that we are looking for. I like scheuning, but would be satisfied with Jake Scott or Lilja. I also love Stacy Andrews, who could play RT or LG depending on who we get in FA or the draft.

DL - Dwayne Robertson, Shaun Ellis, Kenyon Coleman, Siona Pouha, Kareem Brown, C.J. Mosley, Mike Devito
          The dline has really come around the last few games since the bye week; rumor has it that mangini took over play calling from sutton, but who knows for sure. I like the emerging play of Pouha and i think Kenyon Coleman is a solid starter. Coleman does exactly what is required of him; he holds his ground and isn't blown back off the ball. Mosley is a good situational pass rusher and I have yet to see anything from kareem Brown. Drob can stay, but his contract must be restructered if he is going to. I am not sure who is going to come out for the draft, but i wouldn't mind seeing a big DE adressed if the value is right. If raji comes out, he is a must have.

LB - David Harris, Eric Barton, Victor Hobson, Bryan Thomas, David Bowens, Brad Kassell, Matt Chatham, Cody Spencer, Jonathon Vilma
          Harris is a player and will only get better. Bryan thomas had a less glitzy year than last, but his role was changed. He play on the opposite side of the field last year and this year was required to drop back more in coverage. I am not sure what is gonna happen with vilma, but with some meat up front and playing next to harris he could see his play evolve. I still dont think it's a great fit for him, but we won't know what is situation is until we know what procedure was done on his knee. I want gholston with our first pick. If not i will have to keep my eye on Blake, Groves etc.

DB - Kerry Rhodes, Darrelle Revis, Abraham Elam, Eric Smith, Erik Coleman, David Barrett, Hank Poteat, Drew Coleman, Rashad Washington, Andre Dyson
          Revis, along with harris were tremendous draft picks. Revis pretty much shut down Bowe last night, i think bowe ended up with 1 catch for 15ish yards. Elam was a great find; one of the benefits of mangini bringing in all these players. Once in a while you are going to find a diamond in the rough, so to speak. It has been elam's play that has given rhodes the ability to have a probowl 2nd half of the season. I like poteat and coleman was ok. That one play where he fell down early in the year and let up a td still is stuck in my mind. Dyson and barett must go. I wouldn't mind seeing a CB taken in round 3, but i would rather see Gaay brought in from FA.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
            now for my get rid of/keep post.

injured reserve

QB - Kellen Clemens, Chad Pennington, Marques Tuiasosopo
            well this is obvious. Tui did not play this year, but from what i read in he had a good training camp and pre season. Clemens is the future (hopefully), so we'll see what he can do after an off season as a starter

RB - Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Stacey Tutt
            i think our running back situation is great, with a quality one-two punch. i'm mad we didn't sign Danny Ware though. Tutt did okay when he played

FB - Joe Kowalewski, Jason Pociask
            weird situation, because we started the season with Darien Barnes and Stacey Tutt, but they haven't been activated in a few weeks. both Kowalewski and Pociask fit our offense and work hard especially on special teams. i would not be surprised if we brought someone else in though

WR - Lavernues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, Justin McCareins, Wallace Wright, Chris Davis, Chansi Stuckey
            Coles, Cotchery, and Smith will be a great top 3 receivers. Wright is a great special teamer and contributes on offense. McCareins was horrible this year, and Davis won't be on the roster because we have Stuckey on IR and we'll end up getting a WR in the draft or free agency

TE - Chris Baker, Sean Ryan, James Dearth
            Baker played well this season. Ryan did nothing and lost his role on our offense to Kowalewski and Pociask. Dearth is a great long snapper haha

OL - Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Brandon Moore, Anthony Clement, Adrien Clarke, Jacob Bender, Wade Smith, Will Montgomery, Adrian Jones
            very self explanatory. Mangold, Ferguson, and Moore are young decent to solid starters. Clement, Jones, and Clarke need to go. the other guys are quality back ups.

to be honest with all the outcry about our poor defensive line, i wouldn't get rid of anyone we have. yes we need to add players that fit the system but the guys we have are either good or solid back ups. Robertson and Ellis are good enough to find a role in our defense.

Harris was a great surprise. Barton, Hobson, and Thomas work for the defense but we need a playmaking OLB. Chatham will probably retire. Hopefully we can get something good out of Vilma

Rhodes and Revis are great. Elam and Smith are young guys with potential. Poteat, Washington, and D. Coleman are hard working backups. but Barrett, Dyson, and E Coleman need to go.

K - Mike Nugent
            duh

P - Ben Graham
            getting older but still does well. no reason to get rid of him

any thoughts?
            Thats a lot of guys getting the axe. FOr everyone you cut, you should put someone that you think we have legit chances to get.

Comment

Okay sounds good

Comment

I don't see how we shouldn't take Gholston with our first pick. We need to address the RT in the 2nd round. I'm not familiar with the OT prospects except for the top guys so if someone could enlighten me on who would be avail that would be great.

Tannenbaum needs to seriously make some sort of splash in FA this year. Bolstering the O-Line should be the biggest FA priority, followed by the defensive line. I also wouldn't mind seeing Kerry Rhodes getting a long-term extension.

Comment

Definite Needs:

QB - Kellen Clemens needs a safety net

RB - We need someone for those third and shorts

LG - I think we need a veteran here to help D'Brickashaw just like Kendall did last year.

RT - We'll most likely use a Day 1 pick to address this.

DL - We need a NT or a DE for the 3-4. Hopefully both. We'll most likely use a Day 1 pick on the DL.

OLB - We need someone that makes the QB nervous every play. This would help pull our defense together. Another probable Day 1 pick.

CB - I think they will address this in FA and then add a young guy with a Day 2 pick.

Other Positions of Need:

WR - Coles is getting older and Smith is more of a slot WR so we need someone to be a future #1 or #2 with Cotchery.

TE - This is weird because we'll most likely have Chris Baker, Joe Kowalewski, and Jason Pociask next year. But only Baker is a true TE. The other two are more of H-Backs. I think we'll add a free agent.

Comment

Everyone wants new DEs but what would we do with Ellis or Coleman?

Comment

i thought Coleman was very solid this season. Made more than his share of nice plays. Ellis is big and strong enough to hold his position. I think its really the OLBs that need to be upgraded if possible because that's where the push/pass rush comes from, something we are lacking. Hobson and Thomas are fine, but not special in that area

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                      You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

How about a QB?

After the last 6 weeks where i thought we could salvage a lost season, i dont think that Clemens is the answer either, folks. Keep him on the roster, but we better draft a QB after we try and draft Chris Long in the first round. Best free agent acquisitions? Berrian and Faneca- our O line is dog crap without a solid guard (Pete Kendall anybody?) and LC is nearing the end. I would say Briggs, but he would command alot of money.
                        "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
                          I don't see how we shouldn't take Gholston with our first pick. We need to address the RT in the 2nd round. I'm not familiar with the OT prospects except for the top guys so if someone could enlighten me on who would be avail that would be great.

Tannenbaum needs to seriously make some sort of splash in FA this year. Bolstering the O-Line should be the biggest FA priority, followed by the defensive line. I also wouldn't mind seeing Kerry Rhodes getting a long-term extension.
                          I do beleive if gholston is their for our pick we take him; i'm not going to go further into that because i mention it every post and im sure its getting annoying haha. But in new news i saw this on rotoworld;

Laveranues Coles says the Jets told his agent and that they're concerned about Coles' age and declining production.
                          Coles, 30, wants a contract extension and doesn't believe he'll get one from the Jets. A high ankle sprain Coles played through in the second half of the season was most of the reason for his numbers being down. Coles says in a "worst case scenario" he'll finish out his final two years with the Jets.
                          Source: Newsday

I find it quite funny that a player that wasn't sure how long he was going to be playing and thought retirement was near wants an extenstion. I don't want to let coles get away and i have a feeling if they can shop him with penny than he'll leave. Our FO doesn't seem willing to give him a long extentsion, maybe a different FO will. Before, i figured he was definatly going to stay, but i am thinking if we dont give him an extension he might ask for permission to go somewheres else. I just hope that it doesn't turn ugly like the kendal thing.

Comment

I don't believe Coles will let this turn ugly because he's a leader and a solid person. He knows the Jets don't want this to be ugly and he doesn't want it to be ugly either. I also don't know where but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Coles said he doesn't want this to turn into something like the Kendall situation. And in all honesty, he should probably play out the two years left on his contract and retire just to ensure that he stays healthy after his career.

Comment

If I were Coles I would retire right now to leave the game at least relatively healthy. Given his style of play, he has more wear and tear on his body than many comparably aged wide receivers. With that said, I still think we should either work out his contract, or trade him to a team like the Titans. They would probably find Coles inviting given their playoff birth and their lack of anyone that can even be considered close to a number one. I think that the Titans really want someone that can help VY bounce back from a disappointing season. For the Titans it would be as much a PR move as it would a football move because they would be trying to protect the face of their franchise from having yet another down year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information