Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Draft: Who/What Positions are we Drafting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    Oh. I didn't know it'd be a third then. I just thought it'd be a 2nd or nothing. Well that's fine I guess. But why would we get Washington's 2nd again?
    Sorry, I'm an idiot and just typoed. We get their fourth for Kendall, I think it would've been a fifth in '09 but given how many snaps he played it upgraded to a fourth this year.

Comment

yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...

o and btw, i heard spikes said hes goign back to school which is very dissapoiting cuz i think he wouldve been great and also increased the depth at LB and the chances we get a good one...same reason im pissed about bradford, even though i wouldnt want him as bad as sanchez or stafford, it makes it very unlikely one of them would slip to us

as for comparing leinart to sanchez, leinharts arm was a always a question, whereas sanchezs is a big strength

is dewayne robertson definitely nothing now?

as for QB, assuming we cant get stafford or sanchez, what would you guys think about taking someone like josh freeman or nate davis at some poitn between our 1st and 2nd round pick? i dont think i would mind that depending on whos left of course
      JETS

Comment

Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
        yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...
        Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?
          I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
            I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.
            it goes a 1st in 2010?
            JETS

Comment

Originally posted by nyjets5125 View Post
              it goes a 1st in 2010?
              Basically, the Saints owe the Giants their second this year for Shockey and us their third for Vilma. Only if they extend Vilma, that third gets upgraded to a second, and they only have one second. So we'd get their second this year ('09) and since the Giants wouldn't get anything and would have to wait a year their pick would upgrade to a first in 2010. None of this really matters though, because if they re-sign Vilma they'll just wait till free agency starts so they don't lose their first next year. Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.
                I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                  I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.
                  True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.

Comment

This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
                    HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
                    Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
                    DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
                    LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
                    Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
                    S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)

Comment

Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.
                      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.
                        Yeah I saw, I was bummed. Maybe next year if we ignore the need again...

GET LOOSE, I do think safety and ILB are bigger needs than corner and DE. A good safety can help mask some deficiencies in a #2 corner along with allowing Rhodes more freedom and we just haven't gotten good play out of the position the past few years. It's probably our worst starting position period. And inside linebacker we have Barton as an FA without much money to re-sign him and a new coach coming in so he's probably gone and I'm not comfortable with anyone else on our roster starting next to Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                          This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
                          HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
                          Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
                          DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
                          LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
                          Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
                          S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)
                          The only RB I'd be happy with in the first round is Chris Wells. I think Shonn Greene will be available much later than he should be and if the Jets can get him in the third and fourth can be that team thats drafts the starting caliber running back in the mid rounds this year I'd be happy.

I'd prefer if the Jets drafted a fast wide receiver of a tall possession receiver. Although Maclin at 6'1 or DHB at 6'3 on the Jets roster would instantly be both the tallest and fastest starting caliber WR the Jets have. Crabtree will be long gone by the time the Jets pick.

Tyson Jackson is a player I would have been happy with a few months ago, but I see DE as a much lesser need than I did a while ago.

Eric Barton being a free agent makes ILB a pressing need IMO. Elam is a free agent too.

Comment

I <3 Shonn Greene. Hope he runs like a 4.6 and slips to us in the fourth round, he's going to be very solid in the NFL.

Also agree with everything else you said.

Comment

Originally posted by GET LOOSE View Post
                              I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by jetvilma51 View Post
                                I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.
                                Absolutely agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information