Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 Draft: Who/What Positions are we Drafting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hcbrad08
    started a topic 2009 Draft: Who/What Positions are we Drafting?

2009 Draft: Who/What Positions are we Drafting?

I know, I know, just figured its not a bad topic to discuss (maybe discuss what we still lack)

Some of the top pro prospects for the 2009 draft at each position
    BOLD=Jets should target.

Quarterbacks
    1. Tim Tebow, Florida (Jr.)
    2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia (Jr.)
    3. Nate Davis, Ball State (Jr.)
    4. Cullen Harper, Clemson
    5. Curtis Painter, Purdue

Running Backs
    1. Beanie Wells, OSU (Jr.)
    2. C.J. Spiller, Clemson (Jr.)
    3. Marlon Lucky, Nebraska
    4. P.J. Hill, Wisconsin (Jr.)
    5. Arian Foster, Tennessee

Wide Receivers
    1. D. Heyward-Bey, Mary. (Jr.)
    2. Percy Harvin, Florida (Jr.)
    3. Brandon Gibson, Wash. St.
    4. Brian Robiskie, OSU
    5. Greg Carr, Florida State

Tight Ends
    1. Cornelius Ingram, Florida
    2. Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
    3. Brandon Pettigrew, Ok. St.
    4. Chase Coffman, Missouri
    5. Bear Pascoe, Fresno State

Offensive Tackles
    1. Andre Smith, Bama (Jr.)
    2. Michael Oher, Ole Miss
    3. Ciron Black, LSU (Jr.)
    4. Alex Boone, Ohio State
    5. Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

Offensive Guards/Centers
    1. Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    2. Herman Johnson, LSU
    3. Alex Mack, California
    4. Jeremy Perry, Oregon State
    5. Cedric Dockery, Texas

Defensive Ends
    1. Tyson Jackson, LSU
    2. George Selvie, USF (Jr.)
    3. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss (Jr.)
    4. Greg Middleton, Indiana (Jr.)
    5. Michael Johnson, Ga Tech

Defensive Tackles
    1. Fili Moala, USC
    2. Sen'Derrick Marks, Aub. (Jr.)
    3. Dorrell Scott, Clemson
    4. George Hypolite, Colorado
    5. Terrance Taylor, Michigan
    6. Demonte Bolden, Tenn.

Linebackers
    1. Rey Maualuga, USC
    2. James Laurinaitis, Ohio State

3. Brian Cushing, USC
    4. Marcus Freeman, Ohio State
    5. Sean Lee, Penn State

Safeties
    1. Taylor Mays, USC (Jr.)
    2. Myron Rolle, Fla. State (Jr.)
    3. Courtney Greene, Rutgers
    4. Michael Hamlin, Clemson
    5. Nic Harris, Oklahoma

Cornerbacks
    1. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
    2. Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
    3. Vontae Davis, Illinois (Jr.)
    4. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
    5. Jairus Byrd, Oregon (Jr.)

What are your thoughts?
    Essentially what positions do you think we are going to have to bolster?

IMODE, WR, ILB, OT, RB, FS, OG

Guest replied
    derza222 I agree the way we now draft is look for a player we like and go get him! We rather get 4 good players in a 7 round draft then seven player that might work out. Mr T has done a good job with this except for Vernon G! OUCH

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
    I was watching a video of Rex and he pretty much said we're going BPA, but he also said there's a few spots we could be stronger at. But basically, I think it means that we won't see a reach (at least in their eyes, and hopefully the draftnik community as well). He also made it pretty apparent that a lot of faith is put into Tannenbaum and his word, but I'm still not really sure how similar our drafting will be to what they did in the Mangini era.

And another thing of note, but Henry Ellard (WR coach) has been to every Pro Day of all the potential first round receivers. So, I guess he's doing his due diligence and we can't really cross anyone off the list.
    Pretty interesting. I think one thing we're going to be doing is look at the draft in tiers, similar to the 2007 draft where we got Baby Lockdown and Harris. If we decide the value for players drops off considerably, say at 12, we're probably going to try and move up. If we think there are 20 good players in the draft, we probably stand pat. And if we see a lack of in the mid-later rounds we'll probably get rid of those picks, whereas if we like the value we'll probably hang onto them or try to get more.

Lots of options for us this year because we have weaknesses at a lot of positions but are still strong at them if that makes any sense. Lots of the weaknesses are more long-term, though.

I definitely think it's going to be a BPA/position of need thing, because there are enough places we can use help we should be able to find one as opposed to drafting a corner or something. There aren't too many positions you can really rule out for us. Some make less or more sense to draft in the first, but if we decide the guy's the best player on the board and can help the team, like a Chris Wells, it's tough to really question doing that vs. reaching for a lower-tier WR.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    I was watching a video of Rex and he pretty much said we're going BPA, but he also said there's a few spots we could be stronger at. But basically, I think it means that we won't see a reach (at least in their eyes, and hopefully the draftnik community as well). He also made it pretty apparent that a lot of faith is put into Tannenbaum and his word, but I'm still not really sure how similar our drafting will be to what they did in the Mangini era.

And another thing of note, but Henry Ellard (WR coach) has been to every Pro Day of all the potential first round receivers. So, I guess he's doing his due diligence and we can't really cross anyone off the list.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.
    Interesting. I kind of hope not to be honest, but I'll have to trust it if it happens I guess.

I'm still very curious about the TE position right now. Probably the most blatant lack of depth we have anywhere on the team, and given we haven't really signed anybody I wonder if we've got a few guys in the draft we like. Wouldn't be shocked if we found a guy we liked and reached for him in the third, fourth, or fifth round just to make sure we get him. That is, if we don't sign anybody between now and the draft.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    Originally posted by derza222 View Post
    RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?
    The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.
    RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.
    Last edited by thetedginnshow; 03-21-2009, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
    Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.
    I could totally handle trading up into the late first/early second to draft him, preferably after drafting a WR at 17. It'd definitely be a Tannenbaum move, and would be a fantastic day 1 (depending on the WR).

Leave a comment:

• BroadwayJoe10
    replied
    Jarron Gilbert high on the Jets' wish list???

Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.

Leave a comment:

• TT Gator
    replied
    I think WR is a lock for the first round. With the loss of Coles, a young unproven signal caller at the helm, and all the great defencive players we picked up in free agency it's the only sane pick. While Cotchery proved he can be a big part of the offence the last couple years beyond him theres not much depth. Stucky and Smith are decent in 3-4 WR spreads but if we go with one of them as are #2 and an inexperianced QB throwing to them are offence is going to struggle. IMO it will(and should) be Harvin or DHB two guys with tons of potential/speed they'll catch short inside passes in slot, be able to get seperation on deep patterns and burn everybody on the defence. Because of everything thats happened getting Maclin is not impossible any more and remember how far receivers slipped last year though i'm sure he'll probably be gone theres a chance. If not we'll get Harvin, his experiance playing in one of the toughest divisions in college, being able to contribute receiving, rushing and returning, playing in alot of big games including two championship games, and being able to break a big play anytime he gets the ball will give him the advantage. Also he seems like he'd fit well in the Jets offence and has the elite speed we desperatly need at receiver. It may be because he's cut in Coles' mold but I think he's exactly the type of WR we need playing beside Cotchery. I know some worry about injuries but his durability has been blown way out of proportion.(he only missed 3 games in college and has played through injuries before) If we picked DHB I wouldn't be upset I think he has tons of talent and will be a good receiver for along time but I think because he was underused (and played weaker talent) he'll need to develop a year or two before reaching his potential. Where as Harvin played in tons of big games againest top talent and was 1 of the 2 main threats on Florida's offence. I believe he can come out his rookie year and start putting up big numbers(just my opinion). Nicks, Britt, and Robeskie are all talented but it would be way too early for any of them and they are all too similar to Cotchery. If for some reason we go somewhere else 1st round we should def pick one of them in the 2nd if any are still around. Nice call on Leonhard Get Loose, with him playing beside Rhodes, Sheppard with Revis, and Scott leading the defence with Harris the Jets D is going to kill offences next year.
    Last edited by TT Gator; 03-17-2009, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• roscoesdad27
    replied
    3 round mock

1) M. Sanchez q.b. usc
    franchise type qb. picked in a similiar spot to flaccoo last year and will likewise be partnered with a first time head coach...great accuracy, arm strength and overall athleticism...will push for the starting spot day 1.

2) D. Butler w.r. penn state
    extremely fast w.r. with great hands would compliment your other players and be a dynamic slot/#2 guy...sleeper.

3) K. Mitchell d.e./d.t. e. carolina
    huge d.t. with a great frame could project to be the hybrid d.t./3-4 d.e. that rex uses in his defense ala holoti ngata...fills a need at 3-4 d.e. at great value here and can play backup n.t. as well....sleeper

complete mock here
    http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...=1#post1533596

thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Young Nasty Man
    replied
    I think you can't compare him to Boldin yet because your talking about a top 10 receiver in Boldin and Hakeem Nicks hasn't played in the NFL yet. Though of all the receivers in the draft, I think he is the most NFL ready. Its kinda like last year between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. While last year Chris Long was the most NFL ready, Gholston had a bigger boom/bust potential. Im not saying there is another receiver to add to that list but I think Hakeem Nicks is the most NFL ready. If we are able to trade down, I'd do it to get him. But if Maclin is on the board, I wouldn't think twice and draft Maclin in a heart beat.

Leave a comment:

• derza222
    replied
    One thing to keep in mind is that Cotchery's draft was ridiculously stacked with WR talent. Point taken, though. Nicks certainly has gotten a lot more pub than him regardless.

Rotoworld says the Dolphins are interested in Nicks. He makes sense as a YAC guy with Pennington at QB and somebody to play across from Ginn. I'd be really disappointed if he fell that far and they actually took him.

Leave a comment:

• thetedginnshow
    replied
    I don't know. To me, I feel like there's a reason why Nicks has gotten more hype than Cotchery, especially considering Cotchery played with Rivers and got plenty of media attention. I think the hands separate them mostly, but Nicks's short-area quickness really stands out. I liken him most to Michael Irvin, at least in terms of play. Obviously I don't believe he'll be a HOFer.

But I don't know. There are just certain receivers I'd rather not draft, though my extremely high confidence in Ryan is making me feel as though we can draft anyone and it'd work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information