If we stayed where we were in each round we could have drafted:
    Round 1: Jeremy Maclin
    Round 2: LeSean McCoy
    Round 3: Jared Cook
    Round 4: Louis Murphy
    Round 6 and 7: We could have looked for a defensive pass rusher

I would take that group up there combined over Sanchez and Greene

J-E-T-S

I wouldn't even be kind of happy with the draft you just mentioned.
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

That kind of draft would have addressed our offensive needs with 2 dynamic receivers, a good running back and a good Tight End.

Our real draft only addressed a good QB and good RB

J-E-T-S

Comment

Originally posted by Nj. View Post
        If you think about it, this trade has basically been us giving up:

2nd Round Pick
        4th Round Pick
        7th Round Pick
        Abram Elam
        Brett Ratliff

To Get:
        Mark Sanchez
        Shonn Greene

If we stayed where we were in each round we could have drafted:
        Round 1: Jeremy Maclin
        Round 2: LeSean McCoy
        Round 3: Jared Cook
        Round 4: Louis Murphy
        Round 6 and 7: We could have looked for a defensive pass rusher

I would take that group up there combined over Sanchez and Greene
        Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
        I wouldn't even be kind of happy with the draft you just mentioned.
        I don't think I would have been happy with McCoy, Cook, or Murphy given the Jets drafting Maclin.

As much as I would have prefered a WR, or seeing if Greene would fall to the Jets at 76, he's a better fit than McCoy.

Greene complements Leon. McCoy supplants him. The same is true with Cook and Keller.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          I don't think I would have been happy with McCoy, Cook, or Murphy given the Jets drafting Maclin.

As much as I would have prefered a WR, or seeing if Greene would fall to the Jets at 76, he's a better fit than McCoy.

Greene complements Leon. McCoy supplants him. The same is true with Cook and Keller.
          Perfectly said. A preferable draft, IMO, in that scenario would have been:

Maclin
          Greene
          Louis Vasquez
          Sammie Lee/Anthony Hill, take your pick there

Really just presume you gave up those 3 backups and anybody you would have taken in round 1, 3, or 4 (and then 7), for Sanchez. Based on how high he must have been on our board, we probably would have taken Greene at 52 anyway so that's more or less a watch. So we basically gave up our third, fourth, seventh and those three guys to move up from 17 to 5 for the chance to draft a franchise QB. And time will tell if it was worth it, because if Sanchez ends our QB issues it certainly will have been. It's a lot in number, but not a ton of value to move up that far.
          Last edited by derza222; 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

It's really ridiculious. I mean you'd think as much as they must like Sanchez to give an arm and a leg to a team who wanted to fall as far as they could since they were drafting a center (Browns) would have some sense to realize we have no one what so ever outside of Cotchery at WR. I don't personally like Freeman but we could have got him at 17 and got the receiver from Georgia(know his name but not going to try to spell it) Yeah passing up on Ramses Barden, Louis Murphy, and Juaquin Iglesias for a Shonn Greene when we desperately need WRs was real smart guys. Bout as smart as trading a 3rd rounder, a 4th, and a 7th round pick to move up 10 spots in the 3rd round....oh wait the Jets did that too. I don't know who was ahead of this draft but they blew it big and when Mr. "One year wonder" busts next year everyone can thank him for passing up on a WR. I don't know how long they think they can keep their passing game going with everyone at receiver a 5th to 7th round draft pick. Once again the Jets make dumb picks and if Sanchez busts they won't have Ratliff or Clemens next time. I hope Clemens demands a trade this is the 3rd time with the 3rd QB that NY has **** blocked him and its b/s. It's going to be a lot different in the pros without receivers than at USC where he had the best at every position and played only 3-4 tough games.

Comment

Originally posted by TT Gator View Post
              It's really ridiculious. I mean you'd think as much as they must like Sanchez to give an arm and a leg to a team who wanted to fall as far as they could since they were drafting a center (Browns) would have some sense to realize we have no one what so ever outside of Cotchery at WR. I don't personally like Freeman but we could have got him at 17 and got the receiver from Georgia(know his name but not going to try to spell it) Yeah passing up on Ramses Barden, Louis Murphy, and Juaquin Iglesias for a Shonn Greene when we desperately need WRs was real smart guys. Bout as smart as trading a 3rd rounder, a 4th, and a 7th round pick to move up 10 spots in the 3rd round....oh wait the Jets did that too. I don't know who was ahead of this draft but they blew it big and when Mr. "One year wonder" busts next year everyone can thank him for passing up on a WR. I don't know how long they think they can keep their passing game going with everyone at receiver a 5th to 7th round draft pick. Once again the Jets make dumb picks and if Sanchez busts they won't have Ratliff or Clemens next time. I hope Clemens demands a trade this is the 3rd time with the 3rd QB that NY has **** blocked him and its b/s. It's going to be a lot different in the pros without receivers than at USC where he had the best at every position and played only 3-4 tough games.
              Do you watch Big 10 football??? Did you see Green roll over Penn state, Wisconsin and have 100+ yards against all the big 10 defenses this year?? I'm going to assume no, becuase if you did you would realize he's more than a one year wonder.

Secondly, there is a reason that Tanny, Rex, Clinksales and company traded up and got him. Green was the #1 player left on the board for us by far, according to Rex on espn this morning.

How can you advocate for a player when you don't even know his name?? That seems a tad odd no?? You're getting mad that we drafted a player that you don't know about, instead of another player you don't know about?? You would have to imagine the guys who get paid to analyze players have done their do-diligence.

We've traded up 3 times so far with Tanny drafting and they all have panned out quite well so far; Revis, Harris and Keller.

Just as you hate on Green and possibly sanchez, what makes you so certain Barden, Louis Murphy, and Juaquin Iglesias would have done anything either??

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

I can't believe you actually read that.
                Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by TT Gator View Post
                  It's really ridiculious. I mean you'd think as much as they must like Sanchez to give an arm and a leg to a team who wanted to fall as far as they could since they were drafting a center (Browns) would have some sense to realize we have no one what so ever outside of Cotchery at WR.

Who was Flacco throwing too last season? Anyone better than Cotchery?
                  Who was Chad throwing to while his team (ugh) won a division (ugh).
                  Was Eli throwing to number one receivers all season?

This system seems to work:

3 serviceable running backs = Check
                  A good o-line = Check
                  A good defense = Check?

We were told the Jets will be a run first team anyway.
                  Last edited by timewaster; 04-26-2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

The OP's draft doesn't have Mark Sanchez.
                    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nj. View Post
                      That kind of draft would have addressed our offensive needs with 2 dynamic receivers, a good running back and a good Tight End.

Our real draft only addressed a good QB and good RB
                      I have an issue calling a 4th round WR "dynamic". I like him and he has potential but lets not call him dynamic yet. If Sanchez becomes a franchise QB then it was worth it, if not then we blew it. This could either make us a perennial playoff team and Super Bowl contender or could set us back 5 years and get Mr. T fired. Only time will tell.
                      J. MESS

Comment

I was happy with the first trade however, the second one really disappointed me. I really wanted to see more picks from the Jets on day 2. But beyond my selfish reasons, I think that Green is a good running back, but not sure if hes worth giving up all the picks that we did. Even though there are examples of guys that have done well without great receivers, clearly it is preferable for a qb to have more weapons.

I'm not too worried about the argument that we will not have depth because we keep giving up draft picks. I think that if you scout well, it doesn't matter whether someone is a day 2 pick or undrafted, you will find talent.
                        Last edited by josh07039; 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                          I was happy with the first trade however, the second one really disappointed me. I really wanted to see more picks from the Jets on day 2. But beyond my selfish reasons, I think that Green is a good running back, but not sure if hes worth giving up all the picks that we did. Even though there are examples of guys that have done well without great receivers, clearly it is preferable for a qb to have more weapons.

I'm not too worried about the argument that we will not have depth because we keep giving up draft picks. I think that if you scout well, it doesn't matter whether someone is a day 2 pick or undrafted, you will find talent.
                          Agreed. I think you could look at some of the guys that we signed as UDFA's and view them as draft picks. We tend to reach for guys on day two anyway. Potter, Cook, Southerland, Link, Myers, and Westerman were all easily draftable prospects, and we could use help at basically all of those positions except probably where Westerman is going to play. Davie and Conley can also make marks on this team as a blocking tight end and a punter respectively.

We've got a lot of good rookies coming in, they just weren't all guys that we drafted. If these guys show some things and make an impact on this team, it really takes away the sting of having so few picks.

I would not have been shocked to see us draft a guy like Potter in round 4 or 6 if we had picks there. Southerland could have been somebody we looked at in round 6 or 7, we draft tackles like Link late all the time, and we draft players that only project to one or two things like Davie late as well. Remember Jason Pociask in round 5? After trading Elam, Cook could have gotten a look in round 6 or 7, and same with Westerman if we really like him.

Each of these guys has a chance to make the team, and they don't have the pressure of being draft picks. They'll all be fan favorites in training camp and during the season if they make the team. I know I'll be rooting for each and every one of our undrafted free agents, and there are enough open roster spots that these guys can make the same noise that a guy drafted in the late rounds would. It would also be pretty sweet if Conley ends up being our starting punter, or Bullock ends up being a surprise as a tight end.

Comment

At the very least, we have picked up some good athletes who can help out on special teams. I will say I agree with you on Westerman not really filling a need. However, Im going to go one step further. Not only do I think his position is not needed, I don't really understand where he fits in the defense at all. He's not an overly athletic guy that can become a linebacker and doesn't have the size to be a DE. I like the guy a lot and he probably would have been drafted if not for the injury, but he doesn't seem like he makes sense in a 3-4.

More generally, I'm just wondering if this strategy may prove to be effective to an extent that other teams will adopt it. Over the years, team have followed the Patriots way of trading down and picking up more late round picks to get steals/depth. Perhaps team will be aggressive and trade up for guys they want and have smaller draft classes because they recognize that they can pick up guys they want after the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                              At the very least, we have picked up some good athletes who can help out on special teams. I will say I agree with you on Westerman not really filling a need. However, Im going to go one step further. Not only do I think his position is not needed, I don't really understand where he fits in the defense at all. He's not an overly athletic guy that can become a linebacker and doesn't have the size to be a DE. I like the guy a lot and he probably would have been drafted if not for the injury, but he doesn't seem like he makes sense in a 3-4.

More generally, I'm just wondering if this strategy may prove to be effective to an extent that other teams will adopt it. Over the years, team have followed the Patriots way of trading down and picking up more late round picks to get steals/depth. Perhaps team will be aggressive and trade up for guys they want and have smaller draft classes because they recognize that they can pick up guys they want after the draft.
                              We'll see if other teams adopt the strategy. More or less, this strategy will either make Tannenbaum a genius and other teams will copycat the strategy, or it will be the strategy that gets him fired. I do think the success of the UDFA's that we bring in will be a major factor in the success of giving up our picks to get a few guys. The success of the players that we give up so much to go get will also be a very big factor as well. That we're willing to give up so much to go get certain players shows a lot of confidence in pre-draft evaluations and how good a job the scouting department is doing.

I think another aspect of the strategy is signing lower level players to fill roles that a younger guy would generally fill. Most teams use free agency and trades to get established NFL players and then develop younger players behind them that they use later round picks to acquire. It seems like the strategy of this team is to target a few players in the draft, and go get them: Revis, Keller, Harris, Sanchez, Greene, etc. Have them be studs, and take the place of a few free agents that you might acquire. Then fill out the roster with guys like Howard Green, Donald Strickland, and Marques Douglas. That allows the backups to be more experienced. But finding the right backups, picking up the right guys after the draft, and obviously choosing the right guys to go and get, are all very key for this strategy to work. And we'll see if it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information