No announcement yet.

2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another corner so Dwight Lowery never plays again. My god he can't run with a receiver at all.

Comment

I don't think that corner is the biggest need on this team and who knows if it matches up with value at that selection, but generally teams try to figure out what their fatal flaw was and fix it in the offseason. In this case, I do think it was the corner play. Pass rush is obviously key but at the same time coverage on short passes was not tremendous either and I'm not sure where a pass rusher fits into the starting lineup right now. Lowery and Sheppard got beat repeatedly during the game and it's not like number 2 corner play was a strength all year. I think we had the top defense despite it, not because of it.

Sheppard is in all likelihood going to get cut, and we can't presume he's going to be back. I'm just not sure who fills in there. Defensive line could use help but I think later picks are going to be used on that because people around the team think we can plug guys into the scheme and make it work. But it hasn't worked at corner, and it's been an Achilles heel all season long, people will throw away from Revis and it doesn't help to have guys on the other side who are prone to getting picked on.

Again, I don't think it's the biggest need on the team, but when you look at spots where you can plug a guy in and say they're going to be starting, that's probably the most obvious one. Along with another weapon in the passing game, I think corner is the easiest weakness to fix outside of depth in other places. Will I be fine if we don't ignore it? Absolutely. Is this a knee jerk reaction to the game? Yes. But it just seems like all of the other positions that are being discussed are more depth related than corner, and I wonder if it's going to get addressed this offseason. I will say one thing, I bet we start seeing a lot of corners mocked to the Jets regardless of what happens.

The one thing I do like about our needs is none of them are absolutely critical and all of them are about even, so we don't have to totally focus on one spot. It could just be me, but we could go DE, OLB, CB, WR, or RT in the first round and if the value's good I'd be fine with it. Maybe even NT as well, though Pouha stepped up big time after losing Jenkins.

Comment

I would think OLB is easily the most important position of need. Or, at least that'll be where we go with our first pick. I think DE is pretty important but I just don't see that as something we have to address that early. And since more than likely we're going to keep Braylon around, I doubt they use their first pick on a slot receiver (but we definitely need one). I think we need to draft a couple O-Linemen, but since no one has been a glaring weakness to them yet, I don't really see them spending our first pick on a back-up.

There are some really good corners for our system in free agency.

And this might be a mild blessing in disguise. Now Rex can recruit at the Pro Bowl (not really sure if any of those guys are free agents). And, they can focus on the Senior Bowl and all that.

In general though, if we want to have the identity Rex wants, I think we need some more players that play angry.
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.

Also going to be a little tough in FA since we don't have a ton of UFA's and we can only sign as many as we lose to other teams...agree with everything you said about other positions though. Regardless, with the lack of clarity in terms of needs it will be really interesting to see how this offseason goes.

Comment

I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!
            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
              I see Scott observed us talking to Norwood. I guess I can cross him off the list of potential guys for us... but there's still hope for Brandon Graham!
              Haha ya, I noticed that. Seems that there's a very slim chance a team takes the player they were observing. However, there seems to be a good indication of what type of player they may be looking at.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

I see us drafting heavy on the defensive side this year. Last year was all about the Offense and what a great draft it turned out to be. This year I think Rex will have more input and opt to draft defense with at least the first two picks. It might be tough for us to target a certain guy and trade up like we usually do because of our lack of draft picks and how late we are drafting in each round. Maybe we will move Rhodes and TJ to add some picks but who knows....

Comment

MOBILE, Ala. — Just because the Jets have arguably the best cornerback in the game right now, Darrelle Revis, does not mean that the team is necessarily content to stand pat in the defensive backfield.

I was on the Sirrius set with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan as they interviewed Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and he emphasized that the secondary is an important priority for coach Rex Ryan.

“Being around Rex for a year, you know you think he wants — obviously he’s a blitzer by nature — big, tough, physical guys,” Tannenbaum said. “But he loves the defensive backs and he loves to be versatile back there (in the secondary).”

Tannenbaum went on to explain that “inconsistency” was the reason for Lito Sheppard not getting the start in last Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against the Colts, and reiterated that Ryan likes to have multliple options at the cornerback position.

While Tannenbaum did not directly address anything about his team’s needs or who he is targeting in the draft, he did answer a question about Boise State’s Kyle Wilson, who is attracting some attention here at Ladd Peebles Stadium for both his coverage skills and ability as a returner.

“Those guys are invaluable. From the standpoint of on the 45-man roster, the more jobs you can do (the better),” Tannenbaum said. “I think he certainly will play for a long time, and he has good ball skills.”
                  http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/26/jets...fensive-backs/

Just a tidbit from the Senior Bowl. They also said we have a large contingent down there, including Rex Ryan. That's good to hear. I thought they'd be in Miami for the Pro Bowl or something. Actually, I'm not sure why they don't have to be, unless he's planning on not coaching the Pro Bowl or the practices have changed because of where the Pro Bowl now falls in the schedule.

Comment

I take back what I said earlier. I don't think we'll go OLB in the first anymore. We might, but probably not. I still see it as a big need, but I'm not so sure things will fall that way. I'm more expecting WR, OL, or CB now.

But speaking of WR, I'm not sure about here, but I'm very surprised at thejetsblog a good majority of the people love our WR corps, love Braylon, and think it's crazy to go WR early. Is that crazy to you guys? I know it's not, but I'd like to hear from someone that's under that impression so I can see if there's anything to it beyond blind homerism.

Comment

It's not crazy at all. You can never have enough weapons on offense and a good slot reciever can only help add to our O

Sig by Me

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                        I don't think we go OLB early. I certainly wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see it given the signals that are going out. Pettine just was talking about Bryan Thomas and how great of an impact he's had this year and how awesome he's been doing the dirty work and stuff...Pace obviously isn't going anywhere. I agree the pass rush needs some help but I think they're content with who they have and happy with overloading sides and playing with coverages. It just seems that the team is alright with who they have there...benching Sheppard before this game sent a different message about corner. Like I said I wouldn't mind, and I obviously could be wrong, I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that to this point.
                        Well, here is my question.

*IF* the Jets released Lito *AND* he was signed by another team, would that then allow the Jets to draft an cornerback and sign someone at OLB in free agency such as Joey Porter?

Comment

Just wondering, but does anyone see FB as a possible wildcard position we could be drafting late? It's an important position in our offense and I really don't know how much longer T-Rich can be playing, so to me it seems like something that could happen unless one of the guys on the practice squad are going to fill that role. Personally, I'm only a fan of John Conner if we do go after someone.

Comment

a bunch of things have happened since the last time people posted in this thread, so i thought i'd give my new thoughts.

after the cromartie and rhodes trades, we have added a 4th rounder this year and not given up any of this year's picks, which is great. in my opinion, corner was our biggest need before getting cromartie, but now, all we need is another player for depth because i'm not sure if i'm comfortable with coleman as the dime.

safety is now our most pressing need by far. eric smith is a good backup, but cannot start for a full 16 game season. we could either trade back into round 2 and get someone like nate allen or trade up and get someone like earl thomas.

OLB is second on my list as we still don't have a premier pass rusher. maybe someone like jerry hughes, sergio kindle, or ricky sapp?

WR is 3rd because clowney didn't show me enough in the slot last season, and it would be great to get sanchez another weapon in the passing game. tate or benn could be had in the 1st. maybe shipley in the 2nd or jacoby ford in the 4th.

Defensive line depth is next. all of our starting defensive lineman are 30 or older, and our depth is serviceable with devito and pouha, but even pouha is around 30 as well. we definitely need an injection of youth throughout the line. cody and dan williams could be available in the 1st as a NT, while odrick or price could be there as well for the DE position. houston is rising up draft boards as well.

a recent hole that has been opened up is RB. i didn't like the move of cutting TJ because i think he could've been fine as depth and is a great leader in the locker room. however, now that he is gone, we might need to look in the 5th-7th rounds to replace him. i could see us taking joique bell in the 5th-6th as well as blount or stafon johnson.

Comment

What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                What safeties do you guys think would be good fits, and where do you think the position will get addressed (if at all)?
                                i think we have to address it in the draft because we are hindered by the final 8 rule. we need a ballhawking FS, so i think someone like earl thomas or nate allen would be a solid choice.

to get earl thomas, we'd need to trade up to the early 20s though, and we'd have to give up our 1st and 2nd rounders, and receive a 1st and a 4th in return. i don't know if i would like that.

to get nate allen, we could probably trade back into the early 2nd, and accumulate some more mid level picks, which would be great.

another option could be taylor mays, who i'm not a fan of, but i'm not sure where he'll go (could be anywhere from top 15 to out of the 1st).

i also remember hearing that we might make a move for antoine bethea, who has a 1st round tender. i personally don't think he is worth it, but it's a nice idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information