No announcement yet.

2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Henry Ellard was at Arrelious Benn's workout recently. Benn supposedly did pretty well. Obviously a physical specimen but not sure he's got the production that the FO seems to look for in drafts...though he was better prior to this year. He does have the cold weather thing going for him and they seem to love Big 10 guys so that could be a perk.

Overall don't think it happens but we'll see, he's an interesting guy late round 1 since he was supposed to be elite prior to this season. Most of the time those guys flamed out for a reason but sometimes teams hit it big. Not sure that's the kind of risk this team likes to take in round 1 but I guess time will tell. Round 2 would obviously be a lot better if he falls, which I think is possible but probably only in a trade down from 29/trade up from 61 scenario.

Comment

Since I'm on break, in the next couple of days I'll post some elaborate draft stuff.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Im bored so I created some Jets mocks. I would be happy with any 3 of them. I just want to get your thoughts.

1. Jared Odrick DE/Penn State
        2. Eric Norwood OLB/South Carolina
        4. Dezmon Briscoe WR/Kansas
        5. Reggie Stephens G/Iowa State
        6. Sam Young OT/Notre Dame
        7. Sam Shields CB/Miami

1. Jerry Hughes OLB/TCU
        2. Tyson Alualu DE/California
        4. Ciron Black OT/LSU
        5. Walter McFadden CB/Auburn
        6. Corey Peters DE/Kentucky
        7. Robert Johnson S/Utah

1. Demaryius Thomas WR/Gerogia Tech
        2. Morgan Burnett S/Georgia Tech
        4. Brandon Deaderick DE/Alabama
        5. George Selvie OLB/South Florida
        6. Dace Richardson G/Iowa
        7. Dedrick Epps TE/Miami

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

The third one probably addresses our needs the best.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I'm liking #3 the best but I'd be happy with any of those. I'm starting to like the idea of Demaryius Thomas more and more as the draft nears. He'd be great insurance/motivation for Braylon and his ankle injury just might be enough for him to drop to us.

Hughes would be a great natural pass rusher for us. I'm still trying to figure out where his draft stock is at....I could see him going anywhere in the 20's or possibly dropping into the 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
              1. Jared Odrick DE/Penn State
              2. Eric Norwood OLB/South Carolina
              4. Dezmon Briscoe WR/Kansas
              5. Reggie Stephens G/Iowa State
              6. Sam Young OT/Notre Dame
              7. Sam Shields CB/Miami
              Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                Since I'm on break, in the next couple of days I'll post some elaborate draft stuff.
                Actually, I've decided to just do this closer to the draft.

Comment

Lets get some draft discussion going guys, it's just two weeks away!!

I'm going to try to get a little game-ish thing started, have somebody throw out a name and the next poster reply with how they'd feel about drafting said player and then have them throw out a name that hasn't been said...or something like that. Doesn't have to be too formal, and if you have an opinion on somebody but another poster already gave their opinion please give it anyway! Just trying to get something moving along...

I'll start with a name that's pretty popular with some Jets fans...Golden Tate.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                    I'll start with a name that's pretty popular with some Jets fans...Golden Tate.
                    Golden has been attached to us in mock drafts for months now. I personally would love this pick. Dating back to this year's college season I can remember watching him play and thinking how good of a fit he would be for us. He has great speed, is a very polished route runner, and has the best hands in the class. I hope he is around for us to get him but I fear a team like Pittsburgh or New England might grab him. He could start off as a great slot WR/return man in his rookie year and depending on what we do with Braylon could evolve his role from there.

Comment

Originally posted by msolimani View Post
                      Golden has been attached to us in mock drafts for months now. I personally would love this pick. Dating back to this year's college season I can remember watching him play and thinking how good of a fit he would be for us. He has great speed, is a very polished route runner, and has the best hands in the class. I hope he is around for us to get him but I fear a team like Pittsburgh or New England might grab him. He could start off as a great slot WR/return man in his rookie year and depending on what we do with Braylon could evolve his role from there.
                      I could buy that, though I've got concerns he may not have true #1 potential. Certainly an interesting guy though, I think the pick just got boring after awhile because it was made so much. Throw out another name now maybe and then have somebody else respond to that one?

Comment

Not in the first, but how about Mardy Gilyard in the second?

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                          I could buy that, though I've got concerns he may not have true #1 potential. Certainly an interesting guy though, I think the pick just got boring after awhile because it was made so much. Throw out another name now maybe and then have somebody else respond to that one?
                          Yeah I agree there might be a question mark there about Tate being a number 1 guy. Although he did look very good last year when Floyd was out for Notre Dame. I realize that's not the same as doing it in the NFL, but its all we have to go off of.

As for another potential draftee, Everson Griffen has intrigued me. At first I was hoping for Odrick to fall to us (and he still might) but I really think someone in the early 20's will grab him. I was just going over Kiper's latest mock and he has Griffen going to us at 29. What would everyone think about that?

Comment

Tate really reminds me of a miniature-sized Braylon Edwards. He can do just about everything, makes some amazing catches, and drops a lot of easy ones just because the focus isn't completely there. That's why I don't really think we'll take him, but I do definitely think he has impact potential on the next level.

As for Gilyard, I'll say more about him in my rankings, but I think of him as a poor man's Santonio Holmes. He's a little older than some of the prospects so I think what we see there is pretty much what he's going to be, but he can be pretty dynamic with the ball in his hands and he's pretty clutch, which are two big pluses that I wouldn't mind on our team.

Everson I don't imagine is on our board, but I don't really like him at all. He was massively hyped up two years ago and really did nothing except lose his job. This past year, considering how USC plays their defense, his stats were pretty good, but he just isn't an impact player. He'll flash in some plays and people may overrate him if he is able to get some sacks on the board, but he's just not that good.

How about... Jahvid Best.

Comment

Interesting throwing Best out there TTGS. I liked him a lot this past year... Don't think he makes sense unless Leon Washington gets moved for a pick. If so, Best would be a great addition to the backfield and is a versatile and explosive threat which this offense could really use. I'd like the pick, just not sure if I would at #29. Somewhere in the early second I'd like it more.

On the topic of RB's, I've been wondering if CJ Spiller could be a target in a move up. Probably not as likely now with the LT2 signing, but he's a guy who is explosive and can get it done on the ground and in the receiving game, kind of like this draft's Percy Harvin only more running oriented which is why I thought of him. Doubt it happens though. As a continuation of that thought, if we elect to move up for somebody Jacksonville is a team that could be a partner. Seems like they're willing to move down and I'd imagine the price could be a little lower, could be a good spot to target somebody to ensure that we get them. I'd like Gilyard in the second as well, think he really fits what this team could use on offense and special teams.

What about Cody?

Comment

I'm a fan of taking Gilyard in the 2nd as well. He does a lot of the same things as Tate does but I think Tate does them a little better. Gilyard might be a better pick than Tate because of the 2nd round value he presents, where we would have to take Tate with our first.

As for Best, I wouldn't really love the pick because of the durability problems. He's already too injury prone on the college level which never translates well to the pro level. I could see him as one of those talented prospects who drops because he didn't go out in a great way. I could see us going for him if we do trade Leon and pick up an extra 2nd rounder.

I would like Cody in the 2nd round. His weight issues kind of worry me, but I think Kris Jenkins would be a very good mentor since he also went through weight problems early in his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information