2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 New York Jets Draft Discussion

Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010? Any players that you like or think would be good fits?

Here are some guys that I am keeping my eye on.

WR
    Damian Williams /USC
    Dez Bryant /Oklahoma State
    Arrelious Benn /Illinois
    Marshawn Gilyard /Cincinatti

DE
    Carlos Dunlap /Florida
    Gerald McCoy /Oklahoma
    Arthur Jones /Syracuse
    Marvin Austin /North Carolina
    Lawrence Marsh /Florida
    Allen Bailey/ Miami

NT
    Terrance Cody /Alabama
    Boo Robinson /Wake Forest

***All of these guys above have a chance at the first round.
    I also think that we will need a blocking TE, and a RT.
    Last edited by Hurricanes25; 08-27-2009, 02:38 PM.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
      Never too early... I figure it'll be nice to have a separate draft thread like last year to keep things organized when there are more current issues to talk about with minicamps/training camp and the upcoming season.

So, what positions does everyone think we're going to address in 2010?
      I think its very likely that the Jets are going to look at guard, defensive end and cornerback in the 2010 draft. Guard and defensive end, its pretty much the same story. Quality starter who is getting older. I'd combine that with Marques Douglas not really being anything more than marginal as a starter.

Lito Sheppard, I don't think he'll be a Jet more than one year. Even if he does do very well (which is what I'm expecting), IIRC, he will be owed 9 million dollars if the Jets retain him and the compensation owed to the Eagles will be bumped up to a second rounder.

Comment

Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.
        Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
          Like I said in the other 2010 thread, my bold prediction will be that if our first isn't used on the line, our pick will be Berry, LaFell, or Selvie.
          Why Selvie? Not sure if safety is going to be a huge need, I think corner will be a bigger one as Crickett pointed out, but Eric Berry is ridiculous. If he's on the board I wouldn't care if we were 4 deep at safety, I'd have no issue picking him.

Also curious why you're limiting it to LaFell. He would definitely be a great fit, but there seem to be so many other good players available. Dez Bryant can run after the catch and also go up and get the ball. Seems like he'd be a fantastic target for a young QB. Benn seems like a physical guy that we may want to use. And then Sanchez has some chemistry with Damian Williams, plus he seems to be pretty solid after the catch. All four besides Williams seem to be very physical guys, I think Bryant can do the most things but that's just my opinion. A case can be made for any of them though. I hope we land somebody, and I like LaFell, but just wondering why you limited it to him.

I love the 3-4 end class. Think we can get a great guy in the first depending on where we are, but we can also get a very good player in the second round which is nice. The value at that position seems like it will be pretty well spread out through the first two rounds. McCoy, Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Jones...lots of guys to choose from there. And Dunlap seems to be mostly potential at this point, but I bet Rex could do some incredible things with him.

Definitely think we'll have to look offensive line relatively early. Don't know if it's going to be a guard or a tackle, since if we draft a tackle we can always move Woody inside. Could be both.

Nose tackle deserves a look as well. I really like Boo Robinson. Cody obviously could be an option as well, really depends how Jenks holds up this season.

I think Crickett makes a great point about corner being something that gets a look. Put it perfectly and I think it definitely ends up being a strong possibility.

Comment

Just going by what I think is their criteria. We have a whole year so I'll talk about it a little more a little later. :P
            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.
              Last edited by thetedginnshow; 05-01-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

JERMAINE GRESHAM

He is my favorite prospect coming out next season, he is just an absolute animal, its as if Lebron played football

J-E-T-S

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                  Actually, skipped one guy. Jerry Hughes. But I think I'm going to stop looking at 2010 guys now to keep me from ranking everyone.
                  You know, back in May I found this strange, particularly the idea that an OLB would be an option in the first round. Now I don't think we take any of the other guys you mentioned in the first, but Hughes is interesting. At this point I definitely think OLB will be considered if the value is right at this point just so the D can get some good pressure without blitzing and convert more when they do. Obviously DL would help there but thos guys usually aren't going to be the ones who get to the QB.

Comment

You know what I'd love to happen?

Romeus (I think he comes out) and Oghobaase in 1 and 2.

Comment

Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.

Comment

Who thinks we take a guy with return ability this draft? There's a hole at #2 corner and a slot WR could possibly be drafted as well as well, at either of those spots I could imagine taking a guy who can fill two roles and make an impact in the return game as well. The kick return game hasn't been that effective with Washington out and wasn't even that great with him healthy after the rule change and the punt return game is possibly worse.

Don't think it'll be a priority, but I think it's something that could be taken into account when thinking about the kinds of players that might get looks from the Jets, particularly at those positions.
                        I actually agree with you. Our return game needs some sort of a boost and I think there are a few players who we can get in round 2 that can start on either offense or defense and special teams.

With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
                        Last edited by Hurricanes25; 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                          With that being said, my ideal guys would be CB's Perrish Cox and Javier Arenas, and WR Mardy Gilyard. By taking one of these guys in round 2, we are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
                          Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.

Comment

Three of my personal favorites as well. Really like Gilyard though I think corner makes more sense to go after that early right now. We'll see what happens with Edwards though, some speculation he may not be back. Not sure it happens, but something like that would be nice. If it does though, barring a trade down that nets another early-ish pick, defensive line or OLB would have to be addressed elsewhere or ignored.

Given DL really shouldn't be ignored, either DL would have to be addressed in FA or via trade or we would have to go in that direction in round 1, which I have absolutely no problems with. But in that case, you're putting off OLB for another year or drafting a developmental guy later and sticking with our guys for another season, since I'd imagine it would be tough to add another big contract there.
                            Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                              Yea, Free Agency is going to clear a lot of things up. Right now we cango in so many directions with the first 2 picks. I do think that DE is our biggest need but I would hate to use an early draft pick on a DE which is pretty much a space eater in our scheme. Im really starting to warm up to the idea of taking an OLB in the first. Thomas just isn't getting the job done.
                              I'd have no problem whatsoever with an OLB in round 1, and there will be a lot of options there. Still a concern at NT as well though which probably should be addressed one way or another. Plus some youth could be used on the DL also so I hope at least a selection is made there.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information