Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson vs Thomas for the Jets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Johnson vs Thomas for the Jets

    I've heard that if we can sign a CB and RT in FA and fill immediate starting needs then we may trade up in the 1st with 35 59 63 and barton or mcareins to the
    top 5. (reasoning by Clayton on ESPN Radio that the Jets don't feel their needs will be filled in the later 2nd round picks and in essence they give up their 2nd round picks and player they wanted to deal to move up to the elite part of the draft)

    Here's the problem (a good one to have) matt millen maybe wanting to trade down in round one (so we'd have a choice btwn Thomas and Johnson who would you take? The big man to bolster the line or draft or do you take "the closest thing to a sure thing" in the draft and then take a RT later liek a trueblood or mcneil of this draft in the later rounds)

    I love these situations and it could happen bc of our cap situation after signing jones, coleman, barnes, and perhaps bowens.
    QB, OG, OLB, WR, CB, MLB, RB, FS

    Exactly Why The Jets were the Coolest Team in the NFL under Rex, but Bowles is the man-see Arians speech:

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html


    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html

  • #2
    Originally posted by hcbrad08 View Post
    I've heard that if we can sign a CB and RT in FA and fill immediate starting needs then we may trade up in the 1st with 35 59 63 and barton or mcareins to the
    top 5. (reasoning by Clayton on ESPN Radio that the Jets don't feel their needs will be filled in the later 2nd round picks and in essence they give up their 2nd round picks and player they wanted to deal to move up to the elite part of the draft)

    Here's the problem (a good one to have) matt millen maybe wanting to trade down in round one (so we'd have a choice btwn Thomas and Johnson who would you take? The big man to bolster the line or draft or do you take "the closest thing to a sure thing" in the draft and then take a RT later liek a trueblood or mcneil of this draft in the later rounds)

    I love these situations and it could happen bc of our cap situation after signing jones, coleman, barnes, and perhaps bowens.
    Ooooh, yay. The trading-up-to-two conjecture is back! How fun!


    Comment


    • #3
      There is this one person I'm hoping the Jets take. He's an ILB who will be really great. He struggled this past season, but he didn't have much of a DL in a scheme where the linebackers are dependant on the DL to allow them to make plays. In other seasons, he's been utterly phenominal though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Crickett View Post
        There is this one person I'm hoping the Jets take. He's an ILB who will be really great. He struggled this past season, but he didn't have much of a DL in a scheme where the linebackers are dependant on the DL to allow them to make plays. In other seasons, he's been utterly phenominal though.
        Haha well who is it?!

        About this trade, I like it better than the other one because we lose Barton instead of Vilma which is a huge difference. And I would much rather take Calvin Johnson than anyone right now.

        Comment


        • #5
          lol guys, the jets are not, and will not move up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh and most importantly, where did you hear this from?

            Comment


            • #7
              haha ya bro whos the guy you want??? Well here we go let the rumors begin ... i know we resigned wade smith and im not too displeased with the way moore played, i feel it was clements who made the right side look so poorly, which made moore look worse than he really played...in that case if we did trade up than i would more than definately want calvin Johnson, for a few reasons...i think joe thomas is a beast, and i beleive we would probably then plug him into the RT spot becuase we sure as hell aren't going to move D'brick to RT. IF that is the case than i can't justify using the 2nd overall pick from detroit on a RT no matter how good he is. Second i think Calvin JOhnson is the best player in the draft and would def make quite the end zone threat as well as make us have one of the best recieving cores for a couple years than once coles retires we'll have 2 legit #1 receivers...also, if chad gets injured or takin over by clemens than what better way to help a young QB than with CJ and cotchery....i dont see it happening, personally i see them pulling the gun for moss instead, especially if theres a chance hes gonna go to the pats

              "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                There is this one person I'm hoping the Jets take. He's an ILB who will be really great. He struggled this past season, but he didn't have much of a DL in a scheme where the linebackers are dependant on the DL to allow them to make plays. In other seasons, he's been utterly phenominal though.
                I'm pretty sure the trade they're talking about here doesn't have Vilma in it. However since the trade we were talking about before had Vilma equaling about the #5 overall pick, I don't know how the two second rounders and Barton would be equal to the 5th pick. I think we'd have to give up something else.

                As for the original question, it's a no brainer. You don't take a right tackle in the top 10, probably not until the later portion of the first round or after. And you certainly don't take a right tackle at #2 overall or wherever we'd be trading to. Would you take a guard with the #2 overall pick? It's just not good value. Thomas is not nearly as important of a player on the right side as he would be guarding the QB's blindside. Besides, Johnson is a near lock to be one of the best (if not the best) WR's in the NFL, he's a physical freak, has a great attitude, is smart, would help solve red-zone problems, and could be a #1 next to our excellent #2 Cotchery once Coles retires. I've been saying he'd be a great fit for this team for the longest time.

                That said, the Raiders just signed Rhodes which takes any chance they take Peterson out of the equation. Russell is looking like he may not be the pick more and more with his work ethic, and Davis may not be looking for a QB anyway. That means there is a very good chance Johnson is taken at #1. After trading for Jones, there is really only one player that it would make sense for us to select at 2, and he could very well not be there. If anything happens before draft day it is a mistake IMO.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                  I'm pretty sure the trade they're talking about here doesn't have Vilma in it. However since the trade we were talking about before had Vilma equaling about the #5 overall pick, I don't know how the two second rounders and Barton would be equal to the 5th pick. I think we'd have to give up something else.

                  As for the original question, it's a no brainer. You don't take a right tackle in the top 10, probably not until the later portion of the first round or after. And you certainly don't take a right tackle at #2 overall or wherever we'd be trading to. Would you take a guard with the #2 overall pick? It's just not good value. Thomas is not nearly as important of a player on the right side as he would be guarding the QB's blindside. Besides, Johnson is a near lock to be one of the best (if not the best) WR's in the NFL, he's a physical freak, has a great attitude, is smart, would help solve red-zone problems, and could be a #1 next to our excellent #2 Cotchery once Coles retires. I've been saying he'd be a great fit for this team for the longest time.

                  That said, the Raiders just signed Rhodes which takes any chance they take Peterson out of the equation. Russell is looking like he may not be the pick more and more with his work ethic, and Davis may not be looking for a QB anyway. That means there is a very good chance Johnson is taken at #1. After trading for Jones, there is really only one player that it would make sense for us to select at 2, and he could very well not be there. If anything happens before draft day it is a mistake IMO.
                  Bravo, very well stated. I agree completely, and if CJ is left I would LOVE a trade to 2, especially if it didnt involve Vilma. But if hes not there, no dice.

                  DChess...youre the man!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jetsfan3 View Post
                    Oh and most importantly, where did you hear this from?
                    This guy from the front office, his name is Common Sense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you do trade up to #2, unless you really really like Quinn if he's available, you take Calvin Johnson and you don't even think twice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                        There is this one person I'm hoping the Jets take. He's an ILB who will be really great. He struggled this past season, but he didn't have much of a DL in a scheme where the linebackers are dependant on the DL to allow them to make plays. In other seasons, he's been utterly phenominal though.
                        haha and who is this guy?
                        JETS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure the trade they're talking about here doesn't have Vilma in it. However since the trade we were talking about before had Vilma equaling about the #5 overall pick, I don't know how the two second rounders and Barton would be equal to the 5th pick. I think we'd have to give up something else.

                          As for the original question, it's a no brainer. You don't take a right tackle in the top 10, probably not until the later portion of the first round or after. And you certainly don't take a right tackle at #2 overall or wherever we'd be trading to. Would you take a guard with the #2 overall pick? It's just not good value. Thomas is not nearly as important of a player on the right side as he would be guarding the QB's blindside. Besides, Johnson is a near lock to be one of the best (if not the best) WR's in the NFL, he's a physical freak, has a great attitude, is smart, would help solve red-zone problems, and could be a #1 next to our excellent #2 Cotchery once Coles retires. I've been saying he'd be a great fit for this team for the longest time.

                          That said, the Raiders just signed Rhodes which takes any chance they take Peterson out of the equation. Russell is looking like he may not be the pick more and more with his work ethic, and Davis may not be looking for a QB anyway. That means there is a very good chance Johnson is taken at #1. After trading for Jones, there is really only one player that it would make sense for us to select at 2, and he could very well not be there. If anything happens before draft day it is a mistake IMO.
                          touche derza touche, i relaly like that explanation
                          JETS

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jets fans can think up the most ridiculously wack and farfetched trades. Congratulations on your fantasy dreamland, but good never comes out of these blockbuster draft trades anyway for the team trading up. That's why the Chargers trade down instead.

                            sig by BoneKrusher

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by etk View Post
                              Jets fans can think up the most ridiculously wack and farfetched trades. Congratulations on your fantasy dreamland, but good never comes out of these blockbuster draft trades anyway for the team trading up. That's why the Chargers trade down instead.
                              haha are you serious? the new jets with tangini trade down too (ie last year we traded down in round 2 and picked up a 2nd roudner in this years draft which we traded in a trade for thomas jones)
                              JETS

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information