Regret taking Dbrick Ferguson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regret taking Dbrick Ferguson?

Personally, I think you guys should have taken Vernon Davis with the #4 pick.
    Then take Mangold with the second first rounder, then Mcniel in the second...

thoughts?

Last year I wanted the Jets to take McNeil anyway and move him to RT.

But then again, I wanted the Jets to draft a LOT of offensive linemen.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Winston Justice
    Nick Mangold
    Marcus McNeil
    Max Jean-Gilles
    Ryan O'Callaghan
    Jonathan Scott
    Fred Matua

Other than McNeil AND Winston or O'Callaghan AND Gilles, I wanted the Jets to draft all of these guys. I saw OL as in that much need of help both in the starting lineup and depth.

Imagine if the Jets OL looked like this

D'Brick/Jones
    Kendall/Moore
    MangoldSmith
    O'Callaghan/Matua
    McNeil/Scott

That'd be insane (in a good way).
    Last edited by Crickett; 03-12-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
      Personally, I think you guys should have taken Vernon Davis with the #4 pick.
      Then take Mangold with the second first rounder, then Mcniel in the second...

thoughts?

Hindsight is 20/20, but no. No one regrets having a top tier LT locked up for the next 6 years at least. Especially considering we also got Mangold as you mentioned, then a 2nd rounder this year (which turned into Thomas Jones and a lte 2nd rounder) and a 1st round talent Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round.

I'll take:
      D'Brick
      Mangold
      Thomas Jones
      Kellen
      and a late 2nd rounder

over:
      Vernon Davis
      Mangold
      McNeil.

Plus, as I said, hind-sight is 20/20. Every team could have drafted better. I wish we took Colston in the early 2nd day so he was on our team instead of the Saints....

Comment

Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
        Hindsight is 20/20, but no. No one regrets having a top tier LT locked up for the next 6 years at least. Especially considering we also got Mangold as you mentioned, then a 2nd rounder this year (which turned into Thomas Jones and a lte 2nd rounder) and a 1st round talent Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round.

I'll take:
        D'Brick
        Mangold
        Thomas Jones
        Kellen
        and a late 2nd rounder

over:
        Vernon Davis
        Mangold
        McNeil.
        As much as I pretty much agree the selection or D'Brick and don't regret it, this analogy is wrong.

It would be

D'Brick
        Mangold
        Thomas Jones
        Kellen
        and a late 2nd rounder

over

Vernon Davis
        Mangold
        McNeil
        Thomas Jones
        and a late second rounder

Comment

He's right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft#Round_two McNeil was taken at 50, one pick after Clemens.

Comment

D-Brick was the perfect pick for us. What the hell has Davis proven, anyways?

End of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
              D-Brick was the perfect pick for us. What the hell has Davis proven, anyways?

End of discussion.
              I could not agree more.

Comment

I love when people ask these questions...at the time when the draft was occuring...did you know that Marcus McNeil was going to be a steal? how'd you know that Vernon Davis was going to get injured for basically the whole season? you didn't its not a question...you took D'Brick because it was the safest and smartest choice. He is playing one of the hardest positions in the game and has to face some of the toughest DE's. I dont regret taking D'Brick because if he stays iwht the franchise the rest of his career, then it will be a great investment.

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

Glad to see people recognizing Ferguson as a good selection. I remember this time last year anyone wanted Jay Cutler and claimed Ferguson would be the next Mike Williams. Which doesn't make sense on so many levels.
                  Last edited by Crickett; 03-12-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I think Ferguson will be a very good but not elite left tackle in this league for years to come, which is fine by me. I still wouldn't change the pick at all. He was a very solid selection and will prove to be just that over the next 10 years as he protects the blindside of our QB's.

Comment

ferguson was the best pick for the jets, and to grab mangold later in the same round was icing on the cake. v. davis was hurt anyways, and in my opinion, you can't do anything in football, especially run the ball, if you dont have a great offensive line to control the game...those 2 guys are the future of our team..cant wait for what happens this year.
                      "Somewhere in the world Ken O'Brien is laughing."

Comment

without a doubt i have absolutely no regrets in taking D'brick...although mcneil had a better year at the point before the draft his stock dropped for a reason..I will never have a regret in drafting what was considered the best LT at the position, the player was single handedly the reason for lowering the draft stock of Kiwanuka, who was sconsidered one of the best DEs in the draft... D'brick is still a great physicaly specimen at left tackle and im sure mangini is going to do everything to ensure that he either adds weight or becomes the best LT that he can ...that having said maybe we can bring this topic back up at the end of next year to see how both of them progress
                        Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          Glad to see people recognizing Ferguson as a good selection. I remember this time last year anyone wanted Jay Cutler and claimed Ferguson would be the next Mike Williams. Which doesn't make sense on so many levels.
                          BTW, I was calling for D'Brick well before the draft last year. Even when Rock was calling for us to trade our entire draft for Reggie Bush. Reggie Bush would have been nice, but he wasn't our need, and look what we got instead. Kellen, Mangold, Thomas Jones, and a late 2nd... oh, and Anthony Schlegel....

BTW, if you run the numbers, in the past 10 years Offensive Tackle has the lowest bust percentage in the top 15 picks.

Comment

ill change the title of the thread a bit from D'brick to Schlegel...some people see that pick as a bit of a reach, however im wondering if anyone has any idea if hes gonna have a bigger role this year or used on strictly running downs??? he has a great frame for a ILB as well as the tenacity for stopping the run...the dude hunts boars with just a knife i mean cmon thats badass

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

**** no, and I sure as hell wouldn't want Davis.

And Schlegal's not a damn bust either. He was a fricken third round MLB who was tough so Mangini took a chance on him, how many 3rd round MLB's do you see become stars in their rookie year? Give him a god damn break...
                              Glenn Dorsey will slip...

Jets will not take McFadden...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information