No announcement yet.

2011 NYJ Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't like Bailey and no need to go with a OT in round 2...Ducasse is the RT of the future IMO.

I really would like to grab one of the DL. Mohamed Wilkerson and Cameron Heyward are my two favorite 3-4 DE prospects.

Comment

Jets should go heavily on defense in the upcoming draft. Sanchez is set as is most of the offensive line. Even if Woody doesnt come back, Hunter has been terrific replacing him and there is still Ducasse in the wings. Greene and McKnight is a young backfield. Between Keller, Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery there are plenty of receiving options and a lot of talent to throw to, even if Edwards or Holmes leave. A WR or TE can easily be found in the later rounds or in free agency.

On defense though the Jets not only lack athletisism but also speed and young talent up front. Ellis is on his last legs, Taylor, BT and Pace have been abysmal rushing the passer for most of the year and the safety play has also been terrible. Sure, the defense was still good but not up to Rex standards. At DE there are plenty of players available (Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Bailey, Guy, Ballard) and there also seem to be some nice NT prospects in the draft like Powe or Taylor. At safety the team needs a true ballhawk who can cover a lot of ground.

Comment

I watched some highlights of Jeremy Beal earlier. Think he is just what we need.

Comment

Originally posted by timewaster View Post
          I watched some highlights of Jeremy Beal earlier. Think he is just what we need.
          Beal is an interesting guy. Pretty good pass rusher and pretty good against the run as well. I hope we give him a look at the end of the 1st.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

So many things have to shake out before we even have any idea who's going to be there late in the first...Beal's interesting because he's been really productive and can impact the game in both phases like you've said. He's got a little experience standing up too. Not sure if he's that explosive though, he almost strikes me as more of a second round guy than a late first, and we don't have that second. Maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't look like a first round pass rusher to me. Unless a safety rises or something unexpected happens like both WR's leaving, I'd definitely like a DL or OLB in the first though. With all of the 5 tech's in the draft somebody could slip, think you're going to get a better value there than with a pass rusher. I'm with Mo on this one, defense definitely needs an infusion of talent. If we can keep the offense together and maybe tweak a couple of minor things that'd be nice, but Rex needs some more talent to work with on the defensive side of the ball.

Comment

You make a good point Derza. Beal isn't exactly an "elite" pass rusher. He is probably more of a #2 guy than somebody who will be leading a team in sacks.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                You make a good point Derza. Beal isn't exactly an "elite" pass rusher. He is probably more of a #2 guy than somebody who will be leading a team in sacks.
                Yeah, exactly. Not sure there's enough depth on the Jets to make that kind of pick in the first round, especially without a second round pick. It's a luxury pick, and I think there's at least one of the #2 types that you mention on the roster right now anyway. I'd rather find a DE that slips and can take up blockers, make it a little easier to manufacture the pass rush that way and if it's the right guy they could be good for 5, 6 sacks a year from the 5-tech anyway. I could maybe see going with a guy like Aldon Smith or Justin Houston if they're around. Not sure about Von Miller because he's so light, but he really turned it on towards the end of the year and if they wanted to go in that direction I'd understand it. Kerrigan I'd wait to see in LB drills, and Ayers hasn't been as productive as I'd like to see getting after the QB, he's versatile but the real need is for a pass rusher IMO. A guy like Heyward, Jordan, or Watt could be a really great fit, improving the DL and getting after the QB a bit. Not sure any of them will be around though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
                  Exactly the feeling I get with him. We already have these type of guys in Pace and BT. Very good overall, complete players but really not scaring anyone off the edge.

With as deep as the DL is shaking up to be, I would be very suprised if no stud 3-4 DE falls to us at the end of the first round.

Comment

So apparently Cam Heyward is out 3 months...here's hoping he drops like a ton of bricks.

Mo, good to see you post here. It's a good place for draft talk.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                      So apparently Cam Heyward is out 3 months...here's hoping he drops like a ton of bricks.

Mo, good to see you post here. It's a good place for draft talk.
                      Damn right, that's why I joined!

Comment

I really think we should address the #2 TE position this off-season. Hartsock is really just not a very good football player and should be replaced. I dont really know much about the prospects so far but it is definitely something i will keep an eye on. A solid athlete, good blocker with reliable hands would greatly help out this offense IMO

Sig by Me

Comment

My favorites at positions of need who might be available for the Jets:

OLB - Justin Houston, Aldon Smith, Markus White
                          DE - Cameron Jordan, Christian Ballard, Muhammad Wilkerson
                          S - Quinton Carter, DeAndre McDaniel, Deunta Williams

Comment

I think we need to go front 7 on Defense for the 1st round. We've gotten just about all we can out of the D-line the past two years and I think it's time to install some youth up front. I love Devito, Ellis, and Pouha and think they actually did a very good job this year but we clearly didnt have the athletes in the front 7 to get to most QB's this year. They would be terrific platoon guys to provide depth, but they shouldn't be forced to play pretty much every down.

Von Miller from A&M probably has Rex drooling but there's no chance he makes it anywhere near us. I personally wouldn't mind if we did what it took to trade up to get him, but I know there is little chance of that. I like Akeem Ayers a lot and Houston from Georgia should be good. Regardless we need to go improve that front 7 whether its through trading or drafting.

Comment

Jets were seen talking with Kendric Burney, Lee Smith, and Cameron Jordan at the Senior Bowl according to Scott and Shane. Burney makes some sense as Rex loves his corners and if Cro isn't back and Wilson has to step into the starting lineup a slot corner could be helpful. Smith fits right into what 5128 said about tight ends, although I'm not sure where they'd draft one you're going to get a good athlete a guy who can block really well and will catch a ball if left open who can make a play for himself every once in awhile is really all that's necessary. Then Jordan is an absolute monster, but won't be around.

Mo, some interesting lists, definitely like Houston and Smith, I've never watched White although based on your feelings on Beal I'd guess he's somebody I'd be interested in. Like Jordan but he probably won't be around, Ballard's really interesting and Wilkerson's pretty solid as well though I don't love him. Lots of good ends this draft. Like Carter a lot, and Williams is pretty good too, not huge on McDaniel but he's definitely talented.

As for going front 7 on defense in the first round, I think it's definitely a good move and one I'd prefer although I'd be open to other positions if value was better. Some things depend on how FA goes as well. One nice thing is that there are some younger, talented players who haven't quite made an impact on the DL that could do some good things. I know Rex really liked Pitoitua before he got banged up and he's such a physical specimen that he could be interesting next year. One of the defensive ends or OLB's should slip though. Not big on Ayers either, talented but hasn't done a ton rushing the passer and that's the need. Miller shouldn't be there, but I'd bet Houston or Aldon Smith could be and either would be a good pick. It'll be interesting to see how the 5-tech's and OLB's end up stacking up this year.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                Jets were seen talking with Kendric Burney, Lee Smith, and Cameron Jordan at the Senior Bowl according to Scott and Shane. Burney makes some sense as Rex loves his corners and if Cro isn't back and Wilson has to step into the starting lineup a slot corner could be helpful. Smith fits right into what 5128 said about tight ends, although I'm not sure where they'd draft one you're going to get a good athlete a guy who can block really well and will catch a ball if left open who can make a play for himself every once in awhile is really all that's necessary. Then Jordan is an absolute monster, but won't be around.
                                Smith is actually a really interesting prospect. He is massive at 6'6 270 and a very good blocker with good hands. On second though I really like the idea of getting a big target for Sanchez instead of a more athletic #2 TE. Smith is kind of exactly what i had in mind when i made that post

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                                As for going front 7 on defense in the first round, I think it's definitely a good move and one I'd prefer although I'd be open to other positions if value was better. Some things depend on how FA goes as well. One nice thing is that there are some younger, talented players who haven't quite made an impact on the DL that could do some good things. I know Rex really liked Pitoitua before he got banged up and he's such a physical specimen that he could be interesting next year. One of the defensive ends or OLB's should slip though. Not big on Ayers either, talented but hasn't done a ton rushing the passer and that's the need. Miller shouldn't be there, but I'd bet Houston or Aldon Smith could be and either would be a good pick. It'll be interesting to see how the 5-tech's and OLB's end up stacking up this year.
                                I definitely agree that the front 7 needs some additions, I wouldn't be surprised though if Rex thinks that between Jenks and Pitoitua returning there will be enough talent on the line to look elsewhere. That leaves OLB, a position that i think we could really use an upgrade. Pass Rusher is far and away our #1 need IMO

Sig by Me

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information