No announcement yet.

2011 NYJ Draft Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Christian Ballard be a good 3-4 DE? Trade to early-mid, 2nd round maybe?? His measurable's look good.

(didn't get a chance to watch much college ball this past year). I have a feeling if we let go of LT, we'll try and get a good offensive player 1st round. Like, I wasn't impressed when Baldwin/Pitt played Miami this year. But every major draft site has him as the 3rd best WR.

I'd love Julio Jones out of this class. But I don't see him dropping to our spot.
    Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by katnip View Post
      Would Christian Ballard be a good 3-4 DE? Trade to early-mid, 2nd round maybe?? His measurable's look good.

(didn't get a chance to watch much college ball this past year). I have a feeling if we let go of LT, we'll try and get a good offensive player 1st round. Like, I wasn't impressed when Baldwin/Pitt played Miami this year. But every major draft site has him as the 3rd best WR.

I'd love Julio Jones out of this class. But I don't see him dropping to our spot.
      I like Ballard as a 3-4 end, especially on the Jets. The DE who needs to replaced sooner or later is Shaun Ellis and they are both similar players. Similar size, not big massive run stoppers but still strong at the point of attack with good versatility and pass rush ability.

Comment

Yeah I definitely think Ballard fits the Jets well as Mo said. With that strong Senior Bowl apparently he's moved himself into fringe round 1 status, we'll see if that sticks but if it does he might be in the conversation for pick 30.

Comment

Found something in Kiper's recent mock draft interesting. Basically he said he was torn between what he thinks the Jets will do and what some of his sources say, which indicates to me that the Jets may be planning on doing something surprising. He said that DL is a priority but it's a deep draft for that (true) and then went with Rahim Moore for the pick.

Now I'm not a huge Rahim Moore fan for the Jets (don't think he's physical enough for what Ryan wants, seems hesitant to really come up and hit people) though safety is obviously a need. But the what sources say they might do thing interested me. Any thoughts on a first round pick that would be a little bit out of left field compared to expectations? Corner, running back, and offensive line come to mind unless of course Kiper would be surprised by ignoring the DL in early rounds which seems to be a bit of a trend.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
            Found something in Kiper's recent mock draft interesting. Basically he said he was torn between what he thinks the Jets will do and what some of his sources say, which indicates to me that the Jets may be planning on doing something surprising. He said that DL is a priority but it's a deep draft for that (true) and then went with Rahim Moore for the pick.

Now I'm not a huge Rahim Moore fan for the Jets (don't think he's physical enough for what Ryan wants, seems hesitant to really come up and hit people) though safety is obviously a need. But the what sources say they might do thing interested me. Any thoughts on a first round pick that would be a little bit out of left field compared to expectations? Corner, running back, and offensive line come to mind unless of course Kiper would be surprised by ignoring the DL in early rounds which seems to be a bit of a trend.
            Very interesting! Now recent success doesn't really let us critisize the Jets too much on personnel decisions but CB, RB or OL would be horrible picks considering our needs. Now there are a couple of wild cards to all of this:

- How high are they on Gilbert and/or Pitoitua? Do they expect them to make a DeVito-like impact soon?
            - What will happen with Holmes and Edwards?
            - Is Leonhard's injury maybe more serious?
            - Do they feel they can't keep Hunter and Woody?

A lot of unknowns are in there for us outsiders. From our point of view I see Moore definitely as a possibility since Rex can't be thrilled with our lack of interceptions and the deep coverage in the middle. I think Pool was fine at the end of the year as he got more used to the defense but I can see Ryan looking for a playmaker back there.

Anyways, I would be extremely suprised if the first pick is not for the front seven.

Comment

Yeah I agree that CB, RB, and OL would be bad picks. Just trying to think of the priorities of the team, Ryan puts corners at a premium, running the ball is key which makes having backs for carries (I'd prefer a mid-rounder) and the big guys to open holes important. Luckily Slauson played alright, hopefully Ducasse progresses a lot so they're basically set on the OL for awhile. The recent report that they're going to let Cro walk makes a corner more likely too IMO, and could be some of Kiper's surprise.

The young DL's, Dixon and Tevaseu included, are probably factors. I'd guess they like them a good amount.

Purely speculating on the other ones, I think they try to bring back both but are ultimately unsuccessful, Leonhard I think will be fine but I wonder if either of Pool and Smith are brought back, and I think Woody's a cap casualty but Hunter's brought back on the cheap to compete with Vlad.

I would definitely not be surprised if the first rounder was not in the front seven, but would be disappointed. An infusion of youth and talent is needed there IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Mo View Post
                One thing I thought about is that I could definitely see the Jets trade up again if they really like someone in round one. The Pats are sitting right in front of them and they got a need at OLB too. When you think about it and depending on how free agency goes, in our areas of need (OLB, DL) we got a ton of depth but we dont really have a serious playmakers upfront. Now if the Jets think they can get a true star, an impact player, then I could see the moving up for this player. This is the biggest issue we have in the front seven. Tons of solid depth, tough guys, hard nosed workers but no real stars, no guys you gotta scheme for or players who put fear into an opposing offense.
                Originally posted by JETS5128 View Post
                I really disagree. If Tanny and Rex really like a player that much, they have shown that they will do what is necessary to get him
                http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...al-draft-picks

Thought this was worth posting. Kind of reaffirms that the philosophy they've shown the last few years hasn't really changed any. Definitely going to be an interesting draft. A lot of the 5-techs could make sense to trade up for in the first, maybe some OLB's...probably won't be another position on defense as value doesn't match up, don't think WR will either. Could see them try to move up from the third and not the first because it seems like there are a lot of players jumbled together in that late first/mid second value range and it might be good to get two of them.

Also saw something saying that they're going to draft BPA and also that they want to draft guys who really love football. Maybe just saying that, but as a focus thought it was interesting.

Comment

Temple S Jaiquawn Jarrett to vist the Jets

I'm a big fan of him. He's a nice all around saftey who does everything pretty well. He's best in run support. He'll probably be a SS in the NFL. We need more of a FS but I think he is an upgrade over Leonhard at SS.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Who does everybody think the pick is going to be at #30? Figured it might be worthwhile to get some discussion about specific names now that we're getting close to the draft.

I've got a feeling that, based on value and priorities, it's going to be a pass rusher, specifically an outside linebacker. I think next most likely is a wide receiver, followed by a defensive end, and then a nose tackle. A free safety or a corner could be a surprise pick, but I almost think corner's more likely than FS. Would be relatively surprised if it was another position.

Another guess, though I could be way off, is that a small school corner with the physical ability Ryan/Pettine feel is necessary with the position gets picked somewhere on day 3. They were hot on the trail of somebody last year though I forget his name, and he got drafted by the Saints I believe. But I figure somebody who has quick feet, and sufficient long speed but underdeveloped technique would make sense. What's everybody else thinking?

Comment

Yeah, I think OLB, DE, NT, WR, S and CB are all options at #30.

OLB- Big fan of Justin Houston. I'd be disappointed if we took Brooks Reed. I like Jabaal Sheard too but he might be a bit of a reach at #30. It is becoming a popular pick in mocks though.

DE- Heyward, Wilkerson, Clayborn, and Ballard would all be solid picks.

NT- I think Phil Taylor would be a beast in our scheme.

WR- Hankerson would be a nice compliment to Holmes. Titus Young to Braylon.

S- Assuming we go with a FS. Not really a big fan of Rahim Moore. Many people have said that Aaron Williams will be a S at te next level. He could be intriguing at #30.

CB- I like Harris and Jimmy Smith.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Any of you guys think Jerrel Jernigan can last until our 3rd round pick. Personally I'd rather have Braylon back. Bigger and stronger. Even though Holmes had some nice catches/yac for us.
                        Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

Sig by, Hitman D

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information