Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheJollySpectator has caught wind of a blockbuster pre-draft trade that’s on the table involving the Detroit Lions and New York Jets … Sources indicate that Detroit is offering first round pick (#2 overall) plus an unnamed player for the Jets LB Jonathan Vilma and additional picks this year and in 2008 … Lions get instant defensive help, Jets get control of second pick in draft … Jet brass tight lipped … developing …
    http://www.thejollyspectator.com/

Comment

• I honestly don't see it happening. Who do we want that high anyway? And why would we be getting rid of Vilma? After all of that stuff earlier in the year I've decided he definitely needs another year in the defense.

About the possible trade up with the Giants, there are two reasons that would make sense for us. One would be if we're targeting an OLB in the second. Maybe a guy like Brian Robison, I'm not sure. In that case, we could take a guy like Dwayne Bowe in the first to fill in for JMac at the #3 WR and eventually be our number one across from Cotchery when Coles retires which he has alluded to. We would then take Robison or some other OLB in the second. With our OLB we could then move Hobson inside, and improve our linebacking corps, run defense, and pass rush.

The other scenario would have us taking Anthony Spencer at 20, leaving more flexibility in the second with the possibility of taking Jason Hill. Here I wouldn't be as keen on taking a WR, since we really need a guy with the capabilities of being a #1. That said, Bowe is the only WR in this draft I'd really like besides CJ. But here, we take Spencer in the first, who improves our pass rush much more than a guy like Robinson would. I love this scenario, because Spencer can still play outside and allow Hobson to move in, and we could pick a zone corner and an OL in the second/third, with another pick free to use anywhere, probably as depth on one of the lines.

Doubt either one of these will happen, but something interesting to think about I guess. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by derza222 View Post
        I honestly don't see it happening. Who do we want that high anyway? And why would we be getting rid of Vilma? After all of that stuff earlier in the year I've decided he definitely needs another year in the defense.

About the possible trade up with the Giants, there are two reasons that would make sense for us. One would be if we're targeting an OLB in the second. Maybe a guy like Brian Robison, I'm not sure. In that case, we could take a guy like Dwayne Bowe in the first to fill in for JMac at the #3 WR and eventually be our number one across from Cotchery when Coles retires which he has alluded to. We would then take Robison or some other OLB in the second. With our OLB we could then move Hobson inside, and improve our linebacking corps, run defense, and pass rush.

The other scenario would have us taking Anthony Spencer at 20, leaving more flexibility in the second with the possibility of taking Jason Hill. Here I wouldn't be as keen on taking a WR, since we really need a guy with the capabilities of being a #1. That said, Bowe is the only WR in this draft I'd really like besides CJ. But here, we take Spencer in the first, who improves our pass rush much more than a guy like Robinson would. I love this scenario, because Spencer can still play outside and allow Hobson to move in, and we could pick a zone corner and an OL in the second/third, with another pick free to use anywhere, probably as depth on one of the lines.

Doubt either one of these will happen, but something interesting to think about I guess. Thoughts?

Spencer is not a good fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
          Spencer is not a good fit.
          Excellent post. Care to elaborate? Any DE/OLB guys you like more in this draft?

Comment

based on his rep, im going to assume he has nothing more to say, and if he does, its nothing good.

Comment

• I think Spencer is a great fit, Reminds me of Adalius Thomas and could be our 3-4 blitzer...Like it was said before it can allow us to open up in the 2nd and 3rd round...

Via BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by josh07039 View Post
                based on his rep, im going to assume he has nothing more to say, and if he does, its nothing good.
                Actually he's had some really nice points and breaks things down fairly nicely. Thats why I'm curious to see what he says, maybe there's a valid reason. The short post was pretty idiotic though, at the least its nice to elaborate or discuss any other part of my post when he quoted me and just wrote a sentence related to about half my post. Bad rep is mostly from starting threads that aren't popular, not the Jets forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
                  I think Spencer is a great fit, Reminds me of Adalius Thomas and could be our 3-4 blitzer...Like it was said before it can allow us to open up in the 2nd and 3rd round...
                  I mean I don't think Spencer is a great fit if we don't trade Barton, but everything I posted in there was based off of assuming we do. And if we do, Hobson will move inside, leaving a hole at OLB. Spencer happens to be my favorite guy who could swing between DE and OLB in this draft, and I'd just like to know who NS thinks is better, because based on that scenario we'd need somebody.

Comment

He lacks the strength to fight off double teams and the coverage ability to be a drop back pass defender. He's not fast enough to run around good OT's and not strong enough to run over them. He's relied on hand fighting and spins to beat OT's in college, and as an OLB you need to be able to get by an OT quicker than that to apply solid pressure to the QB in time.

Comment

Actually he's had some really nice points and breaks things down fairly nicely. Thats why I'm curious to see what he says, maybe there's a valid reason. The short post was pretty idiotic though, at the least its nice to elaborate or discuss any other part of my post when he quoted me and just wrote a sentence related to about half my post. Bad rep is mostly from starting threads that aren't popular, not the Jets forum.
                      My rep was very much in the positive. Two comments dstroyed my rep:

Me saying Ted Ginn was the big-conference version of Jerome Mathis.

Me saying that Brady Quinn is the 8th best QB to come out since 2004.

I'm entitled to my opinion. I stand behnd both comments, but those comments brought me from the high teens in the positive to the high teens in the negative.

Comment

He lacks the strength to fight off double teams and the coverage ability to be a drop back pass defender. He's not fast enough to run around good OT's and not strong enough to run over them. He's relied on hand fighting and spins to beat OT's in college, and as an OLB you need to be able to get by an OT quicker than that to apply solid pressure to the QB in time.
                        First of all I never said I agreed or disagreed with why your rep was bad, just saying it. You've been an awesome poster in the Jets forum. With Spencer, I think that he's just a football player, and you can't underrate that. He goes out and makes plays and has a great motor, and I think he's definitely worth considering. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. Any OLBs you prefer?

Comment

My rep was very much in the positive. Two comments dstroyed my rep:

Me saying Ted Ginn was the big-conference version of Jerome Mathis.

Me saying that Brady Quinn is the 8th best QB to come out since 2004.

I'm entitled to my opinion. I stand behnd both comments, but those comments brought me from the high teens in the positive to the high teens in the negative.

"High Teens" isn't very much in the positive... my rep was over 1000... that's very much in the positive.

Comment

First of all I never said I agreed or disagreed with why your rep was bad, just saying it. You've been an awesome poster in the Jets forum. With Spencer, I think that he's just a football player, and you can't underrate that. He goes out and makes plays and has a great motor, and I think he's definitely worth considering. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. Any OLBs you prefer?

My issue with Spencer is his style. I think he'll be a great 4-3 DE. But as an OLB he has to rush to the line, lock on, put on some moves, then get into the backfield. It takes too long. Guys like Merriman have the power to get that running start and blow through OT's, guys like Abraham have the speed to make a footwork move and go around.

Honestly the idea I'm in love with is a 2nd round pick on Abiamiri as our OLB. He's quicker and has a stronger lower body than Spencer. He may not have the upper body strength, but he's got those thick legs that can drive him in between the OT and OG and through.

Comment

My issue with Spencer is his style. I think he'll be a great 4-3 DE. But as an OLB he has to rush to the line, lock on, put on some moves, then get into the backfield. It takes too long. Guys like Merriman have the power to get that running start and blow through OT's, guys like Abraham have the speed to make a footwork move and go around.

Honestly the idea I'm in love with is a 2nd round pick on Abiamiri as our OLB. He's quicker and has a stronger lower body than Spencer. He may not have the upper body strength, but he's got those thick legs that can drive him in between the OT and OG and through.
                              Nice post, I've always loved Spencer but you made some very good points that I did not realize. And for the record, I would take Woodley over Abiamiri as our 3-4 OLB, what about you?

DChess...youre the man!

Comment

• Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                                "High Teens" isn't very much in the positive... my rep was over 1000... that's very much in the positive.
                                I'm fairly new. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information